The Grind Returns, But Will the Players?

Even without GLs being important for making efficient progress through Conquest and thus pushing the 20 victories with 5 versions of Rey & Kylo being a pain, the current feats require:

40 victories w/ full resistance squad
40 victories with full FO squad
20 victories with 5 versions of Rey & Kylo
20 victories with both KRU and Vet Han.

PLEASE NOTE: you cannot work on both the "5 Versions" and the "Both KRU & Vet Han" feats b/c you are not allowed to use 2 GLs in the same squad, and there are only 6 total versions of Rey & Kylo. Remove 1 b/c of GL conflict and another for the KRU/VH feat, and you now have only 4 total versions of Rey & Kylo available for any single battle so long as you are working on the KRU/VH feat.

As a result, you now have 3 battles which must be repeated 4x/day: Full Resistance, Full FO, and either 5xR/K or KRU+VH.

ON TOP OF THAT, you have battles which must be repeated per sector in Sector 4. (I give you credit for making Sectors 1,2,3 and 5 doable during sector progress to minimize repetitive sector battles there, but s4 is ridiculous with 28 victories required.)

I have said it before and I will say it again: this is a game. It's supposed to be fun. Grind kills fun. This looks to be the least fun Conquest since Maul & BF:SOJ where I noped out of Conquest for 7 months.

You've already returned a HUGE though technically optional grind to Conquest with Datacrons. The construction of the global feats is bad. It's fun-killing bad.

People are already going to spend crystals on repeating missions over and over to get datacrons. This hyper-repetitive required grind for feats is not necessary and will continue killing the fun for many people. People who want or don't mind a grind already have a reason to keep grinding from the opening minute to the last: datacrons. People who don't want their lives consumed by a grind and would rather play a game that prioritizes fun, what is in Conquest for them/us?

I beg you, as I have many times in the past, return the fun to SWGOH. Tethering a person to their phone for so many battles per day (12 repetitive battles per day, just for feat grind, making no progress at all!) is grotesque. I thought the level of grind under the most recent Conquest cycle was too much to be fun, but not so much as to be soul-killing. I fear that this current conquest will once again make me hate the game. When that happened in the past, I noped out of Conquest and simply played the modes that did bring me happiness. As a result, I still do not have BF:SoJ. I'll give this a try, but this looks likely to put me in the same place I was 9 months ago: faced with a choice of quitting Conquest or quitting the game entirely. If the grind is as bad as I fear it will be, you won't be getting more spending from me. You won't be getting more mentoring from me of new players. You won't be getting more "engagement". You'll be getting much, much less.

The game gets fun or the game dies, because the purpose of a game IS the fun. It's your choice. Choose wisely.

Replies

• Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Well said. I can’t see a reason why conquest can’t be like it was when it was released. Datacrons added a while bunch of more time…making conquest like it was, less of a grind, would even the screen time out…. Make conquest great again!
  • This is a blatant attempt to find a silver lining to the boring grind and should be viewed as such.

- 40 fights with a GL team is far better than 40 fights with OR or SE. At least i can do the feat during my ‘regular’ run, as i can beat about any node with a GL team without needing specific opponent or data disks.

- There is a (tiny) chance that the Ben Solo summoned via the data disk counts as a version of Kylo to complete the ‘5 version feat’. This would allow players to do both feats at the same time once the data disk is unlocked.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    PLEASE NOTE: you cannot work on both the "5 Versions" and the "Both KRU & Vet Han" feats

This isn't anything new

They did the same thing in previous conquests where you had conflicting squad formations
  • Ultra wrote: »
    PLEASE NOTE: you cannot work on both the "5 Versions" and the "Both KRU & Vet Han" feats

This isn't anything new

They did the same thing in previous conquests where you had conflicting squad formations

And it’s been annoying and pointless ever since. It’s grindy enough without that. The fact they compounded the grind makes things even worse.

This isn't anything new

THANKS!!
  • OP: Goodness gracious! Please stop doing X!

Ultra: But they've been doing X for a while now?

Thanks for insulting my intelligence and missing the point in one succinct comment, Ultra.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    "Ben Solo will be summonable with a data disk acquired after beating Sector 3 in any Conquest difficulty mode during the upcoming events"
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    "Ben Solo will be summonable with a data disk acquired after beating Sector 3 in any Conquest difficulty mode during the upcoming events"

Wait, thats what it says?

Oh no, i thought it unlocks a card for gems in the store to buy shards. God **** i thought it was nice once
  • Winterwolves
    1717 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Can someone please remind me how many shards of the two characters you get in the gold crate? I've never paid attention to that crate before, but looks like I will now.

On the plus side CG may have saved me the money that I have always spent on the conquest pass, no point this time.

I don't have 5 versions of Rey and Kylo, you can extrapolate how many other feats I can't get from that info.
  • Can someone please remind me how many shards of the two characters you get in the gold crate? I've never paid attention to that crate before, but looks like I will now.

On the plus side CG may have saved me the money that I have always spent on the conquest pass, no point this time.

I don't have 5 versions of Rey and Kylo, you can extrapolate how many other feats I can't get from that info.

Good news….there is still the 300 purge inquisitors feat in this conquest.
  • Even without GLs being important for making efficient progress through Conquest and thus pushing the 20 victories with 5 versions of Rey & Kylo being a pain, the current feats require:

40 victories w/ full resistance squad
    40 victories with full FO squad
    20 victories with 5 versions of Rey & Kylo
    20 victories with both KRU and Vet Han.

PLEASE NOTE: you cannot work on both the "5 Versions" and the "Both KRU & Vet Han" feats b/c you are not allowed to use 2 GLs in the same squad, and there are only 6 total versions of Rey & Kylo. Remove 1 b/c of GL conflict and another for the KRU/VH feat, and you now have only 4 total versions of Rey & Kylo available for any single battle so long as you are working on the KRU/VH feat.

As a result, you now have 3 battles which must be repeated 4x/day: Full Resistance, Full FO, and either 5xR/K or KRU+VH.

ON TOP OF THAT, you have battles which must be repeated per sector in Sector 4. (I give you credit for making Sectors 1,2,3 and 5 doable during sector progress to minimize repetitive sector battles there, but s4 is ridiculous with 28 victories required.)

I have said it before and I will say it again: this is a game. It's supposed to be fun. Grind kills fun. This looks to be the least fun Conquest since Maul & BF:SOJ where I noped out of Conquest for 7 months.

You've already returned a HUGE though technically optional grind to Conquest with Datacrons. The construction of the global feats is bad. It's fun-killing bad.

People are already going to spend crystals on repeating missions over and over to get datacrons. This hyper-repetitive required grind for feats is not necessary and will continue killing the fun for many people. People who want or don't mind a grind already have a reason to keep grinding from the opening minute to the last: datacrons. People who don't want their lives consumed by a grind and would rather play a game that prioritizes fun, what is in Conquest for them/us?

I beg you, as I have many times in the past, return the fun to SWGOH. Tethering a person to their phone for so many battles per day (12 repetitive battles per day, just for feat grind, making no progress at all!) is grotesque. I thought the level of grind under the most recent Conquest cycle was too much to be fun, but not so much as to be soul-killing. I fear that this current conquest will once again make me hate the game. When that happened in the past, I noped out of Conquest and simply played the modes that did bring me happiness. As a result, I still do not have BF:SoJ. I'll give this a try, but this looks likely to put me in the same place I was 9 months ago: faced with a choice of quitting Conquest or quitting the game entirely. If the grind is as bad as I fear it will be, you won't be getting more spending from me. You won't be getting more mentoring from me of new players. You won't be getting more "engagement". You'll be getting much, much less.

The game gets fun or the game dies, because the purpose of a game IS the fun. It's your choice. Choose wisely.

I hate datacrons and don't have gl rey. I'll enjoy a stress free conquest for 3 months
  • Where is the information for the conquest does anyone have a link?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Where is the information for the conquest does anyone have a link?

cjp47zl5seaa.png
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Thanks!
  • Non-Separatist droids. Lol. That’s a kick to the groin.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    CaesarAM wrote: »
    Non-Separatist droids. Lol. That’s a kick to the groin.

Got have a reason to have 50R-T
  • Can someone please remind me how many shards of the two characters you get in the gold crate? I've never paid attention to that crate before, but looks like I will now.

If you get the next 6 Gold Crates, and buy all the shards from the first 3 Conquests only,
    You will unlock Swolo at the end of the 6th Conquest.

cjp47zl5seaa.png

Oh look more inquisitor feats….and then non separatist droids….this is just getting ridiculous now.

This isn't anything new

Last 6 it was possible to double down on the 20 win ones as far as I recall.
    This might not be 100% new, but it is CG going backwards on the grindiness. Furthermore, this is the worst case I recall with regards to stamina bottleneck for any realistic scenario of getting those feats.
    As Seedy mentioned, the 20 wins have a forced overlap of units, so they can’t be done in parallel (at least not beyond a certain point).
    The 5 versions of Rey/Kylo requires a GL, meaning that this feat will induce a stamina drain on optimal teams for the 40 win ones.
    Overall I don’t see the feats for these next 3 conquests as being particularly hard for any player who have unlocked slk+Rey, but they are highly demanding on screen time at specific intervals if you don’t want to spend a lot on stamina refresh. Which to me is a lot worse grind than having to theorycraft disk setups to get some highly specific feats.
  • I thought Conquest was to reward the players who had the deeper roster but it's turned in to just whatever is the latest push for shards (ala, the Galactic Challenges) and its now WORSE??

No thanks, no "engagement" and I won't be playing Conquest...

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    How much are we allowed to miss this time? The last one had pretty big margin which made it somewhat bearable, I expect this one to be worse.
  • Looooki
    1045 posts Member
    I only wonder why gate this conqeust behind 2 GLs / Factions. I mean why ?? And conquest is for 3 months ??!!

If conquest is for a month I think players are OK not to get full red crate. But this?? And conquest requires so much planning and repeated battles ? This is insane !!!

• Theoretically you only need one of the two GLs, but if you only have one, then the grind does get worse/more complicated, esp. in managing stamina (and thus managing your time online/offline).

You have to do most of your 40 Resistance with 0 Rey characters and most of your 40 FO with 0 Kylo characters so that you can 20 Rey/Kylo + 20 KRU/VH (but you can't do any of them at the same time if you only have one of the GLs).

Now, while you can't do the rey/kylo at the same time as the KRU/VH even if you do have both GLs, the good side of that is that since one GL is excluded, you can always slip either Rey or SLKR (but not both) off to their Faction squad, so in the beginning if you lead with SLKR + KRU, KR, ScavRey, JTR, you can use Rey + RHBros +2, which is a squad which of course has a lot of power to knock out 3* victories on first-pass progress before you have collected your optimal disks.

Alternately you can use Rey lead + KRU, KR, SR, JTR with SLKR + Hux, FOST, ST +1, which is also a very strong team with the power to knock down some good enemy stars and still get 3*. It's not as good as with KRU (for instance it's much more dangerous to use against DR/Malak) but there are still a lot of squads it could take down.

But if you don't have both GLs, then one of those faction squads is going to be relegated to lazy s1 Datacron Node repetition or something similar until you're deep into s4 or so and have the wide variety of disks needed to do what you need to do.

And sure, you can do that, but it's just another way to up the repetitiveness of the grind.
    NOTE: One thing we're not talking about is whether Ben Solo qualifies as a Kylo, but since he doesn't have "Kylo" in his name, then either he doesn't count of CG went out of its way to make the feat description inaccurate. If B. S. qualifies then yay, but since CG mistakes rarely work in our favor, I'm operating on the theory that Ben doesn't count, cannot count, is not intended to count, and won't be made to count even if there's a huge outcry from the player base. If I'm wrong it will be a delight, but let's not predicate our estimate of how easy or non-grind this conquest will be on the idea that Ben is going to count for the feat.
  • I mean I don't have any resistance or first order characters at relic so I'm screwed either way for at least the next 3 conquests, possibly 6 presuming the next unit is an Slkr lifter. But I hate the sequels so that's on me..

I don't think you can get around spending the last few days grinding it out in sector 1 unless you scrap feats as a whole and just made more sectors for battles. Saying that this one does seem particularly grindy.

The part that really bothers me is requiring a GL for a feat. I think the 5 kylo and Ray maybe require both by default (I'm not quite sure how that works tbf) but S4 boss needing a GL is a very dangerous road to start taking. Before long you might need to complete 40 battles using GLs, to take it the extreme. But once that lines been crossed, experience tells me it only gets worse.

The same is true requiring boba fett scion for a mini boss. Don't put conquest units in especially if you're not making it easier for players to catch up. I wonder if that's a feat for intermediate players because I think it's impossible to have him unlocked for them.

I do think CG should make it clear what the aim of conquest is or reflect within the team and communicate it to us. Clearly having a conquest that is so heavily linked to 3 factions is not as originally intended to use your whole roster.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Is this why August burns red?
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Is this why August burns red?

Yes. Red like the lights of devices getting switched off.
  • Non Sep Droids shouldn't be too bad. Plan on 50R-T 4*, Chewpio, 3PO, IG-11, and L3. Chewpio will do all the heavy lifting. Always one battle per sector where it's pretty easy.
  • StAugJames
    163 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    It’s only 10 points. A good one to skip like Geos last 3 conquests. That POS droid from The Gobots is still not worth the gear.

cjp47zl5seaa.png

Lol think I'll be stopping at crate 4. Not far off Malgus but it's not worth attempting these feats.