Man as much as I like the game, the grind is too brutal...

Tellithowitis
194 posts Member
edited August 2022
Here's my situation, I'm a returning player, I have been playing for over a week now, completed dark side TB with my new guild. I quit when the Malak Shard debacle happened and CG took back the Malak shards that allowed me to get him to 7 stars, right after GAS came into the game. I was so frustrated I lost my 7 star Malak and at the same time I had to farm so many units for GAS.

Imagine my pain now knowing how many more requirements galactic legends have... Everything is relic 3 this and relic 3 that, meanwhile getting a single character to gear 13 takes an impossible amount of time and resources.

I have been back for a week and a half and I haven't yet managed to get any gear 13s, for context I have multiple gear 12s with 3/6 and 5/6 pieces from before I quit, the idea that I have to get this many characters to relic 3 is terrifying...

First of all even if I do eventually unlock GAS and any of the GLs (probably SLKR) I'd still have no gear left for them, which will add even more months into the grind... Furthermore, the carbanti/stun gun/stun cuff bottleneck seems to still persist, and even if you manage to get past that, you'll be stuck with the g12 pieces for quite some time.

The sith raid once every 3 days is just not enough gear and with the drops being so bad, unless you're consistently top 3 you're basically screwed. Waiting 3 days to get maybe if you're incredibly lucky one gear 12 piece when you need 6 of them for a single character is just desperation incarnate.

I guess the ONLY positive change is the shard changes and the fact that you get 2 instead of 1 now, although with how many characters and ships I missed over that break it makes no difference, ally energy goes to shard farming forever and I have no energy left for gear farming.

My biggest pet peeve tho has to be challenges and fleet challenges of which only one is useful, the rest are useless, like who needs an entire day with a training droid challenge that is basically worthless? Half the week you get nothing useful from these challenges.

And to add insult to injury, my Grand Arena opponents have 5-8 times as many gear 13s as I do, making virtually impossible to win a single round. I faced a guy with 65 gear 13s when I only have 9. If someone could please explain how I can even approach a matchup like that I'd appreciate it.

I get it, I quit the game and I missed out on a lot stuff and that's fine, but in my opinion when someone returns to your game/service etc, you're supposed to make them feel good enough to want to stay, instead the game makes me feel like I made the right decision to quit the first time and perhaps it's better not to come back. If it's gonna take me a year to get 1 GL when the game has 6 of them with a 7th on the way, how am I supposed to have any hope for the future? With this pace I'll be getting all 7 GLs by my 80th birthday or something. If everything is gonna require relic 3 minimum with multiple characters then it shouldn't be so hard to get to relic 3 in my opinion.
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    "I have been back for a week and a half and I haven't yet managed to get any gear 13s[...]"

"[...]my Grand Arena opponents have 5-8 times as many gear 13s as I do, making virtually impossible to win a single round. I faced a guy with 65 gear 13s when I only have 9."

Interesting.

Or do you mean you haven't upgraded a g12 char to g13 in 1.5 weeks? That's normal when you're out of all the resources and you need to upgrade someone from g12 0/6 items.

Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    "I have been back for a week and a half and I haven't yet managed to get any gear 13s[...]"

"[...]my Grand Arena opponents have 5-8 times as many gear 13s as I do, making virtually impossible to win a single round. I faced a guy with 65 gear 13s when I only have 9."

Interesting.

Well after 3 rancors, 3 AATs, 2 sith raids, a dark side TB, a TW, challenges, events, etc, I have yet to complete a single character to g13. Like I said, I have MANY characters at g12 and 3/4/5 out of 6 pieces. I'm not saying it should take a week to get a character to gear 13 from nothing, but from gear 12 and 3/6 it shouldn't take more than 10 days to get them to gear 13...
  • Legend91 wrote: »

Interesting.

Or do you mean you haven't upgraded a g12 char to g13 in 1.5 weeks? That's normal when you're out of all the resources and you need to upgrade someone from g12 0/6 items.

Also interesting statistic, I just looked up how many characters are in the game, the game has 225 characters in it with more incoming in the near future and even more to come as Disney produces more shows on Disney plus.

If a player had every single character at gear 12 and 0/6 pieces, assuming like you said, 1.5 weeks is not enough to get them to gear 13, it would take more than 225*1.5= 337 weeks to get them all to gear 13... That's 6 and a half years! That DOESN'T count relics, that's just gear 12 to gear 13. And since relics are such a massive power spike, imagine how long it would take to get half of those characters to relic 7-8
  • LordDirt
    4980 posts Member
    giphy.gif?****=ecf05e4724sp5tiztzkmuqct0yajf6eih9n86xgrae0sv1cx&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »

Interesting.

Also interesting statistic, I just looked up how many characters are in the game, the game has 225 characters in it with more incoming in the near future and even more to come as Disney produces more shows on Disney plus.

If a player had every single character at gear 12 and 0/6 pieces, assuming like you said, 1.5 weeks is not enough to get them to gear 13, it would take more than 225*1.5= 337 weeks to get them all to gear 13... That's 6 and a half years! That DOESN'T count relics, that's just gear 12 to gear 13. And since relics are such a massive power spike, imagine how long it would take to get half of those characters to relic 7-8

In other words, we are not supposed to enjoy the full potential of the game without spending obscene amounts of cash. No surprise there.
  • I get it, I quit the game and I missed out on a lot stuff and that's fine, but in my opinion when someone returns to your game/service etc, you're supposed to make them feel good enough to want to stay, instead the game makes me feel like I made the right decision to quit the first time and perhaps it's better not to come back. If it's gonna take me a year to get 1 GL when the game has 6 of them with a 7th on the way, how am I supposed to have any hope for the future?

I praise the game here, and I critique the game here. I think I'm pretty fair about what's not fun (too much grind) and what is (strategically interesting battles that require investment in great teams but ALSO require strong knowledge of the mechanics and kits, with the feature exhibit being the KAM mission, but also back in the day that Malak mission -- that was an interesting puzzle that got easier with high-level gear, but didn't get trivialized until much, much later, and only if you invested far more in your toons that what was necessary to qualify for the event).

As a regular player who knows that I benefit from having a large player base, I nonetheless have to say this: The game is probably too much of a grind for you. Trust your instincts. If you mostly like the basic structure of the game but don't want to wait years to master today's current biggest challenges (largely LS TB, sector 5 in Conquest, and, on the PvP side, GAC), which will, of course, not be the biggest challenges by the time you master them, then you might try the CG Lord of the Rings game. It's a carbon copy of SW:GOH, but since you'd be starting out at the beginning of the game when it first becomes downloadable, you'll always be on the cutting edge of what can be accomplished. That's a good feeling.

But it will take you multiple years before you reach the cutting edge of what's able to be accomplished in SWGOH because so much time has passed since you stepped back from it.

Trust yourself: if the game isn't fun, don't play it. It's just a game. No one is going to give you money or fame for being good at it. It has to be worth the time on its own. If you like the format, but can't handle the oppressive weight of just how much work there is to do to collect everything, find a similar game, LotR, maybe, or maybe something else collectible that you like.

But take a bit of time. If you like the game, if you enjoy Conquest (which starts next Monday and can be quite a lot of fun during the first pass trying to reach and then defeat the final boss...though the fun lessens for me when replaying battles over and over to get feats, which are optional but increase your rewards) or Territory Battles or GAC, then do the things in the game that you like, and it won't matter that there are other things that can be done with other toons or with more gear.

Take the time to figure out if what you can do is fun for you. If it is, play, and the rewards will come. If it's not, quit, and either replace the game with something similar but without the oppressive weight of gargantuan expectations or replace it with something completely different, if that's what you need to get your fun on.

It's a game. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to play it. But if you decide you want to keep playing and need advice to help you meet that next challenge, there will always be good people around to help.
  • If a player had every single character at gear 12 and 0/6 pieces, assuming like you said, 1.5 weeks is not enough to get them to gear 13, it would take more than 225*1.5= 337 weeks to get them all to gear 13... That's 6 and a half years!

Just so you know, I get more than one new relic toon per week over long periods (about 55 - 60 per year) and they don't release 52 new toons per year. I'm a long way from getting relics on everyone, and by the time I do just having a toon at relic 3 won't mean much, but I'm not 6 years away. Assuming the game stays live and I keep playing, I'll have over 200 relic toons sometime in the 2nd half of next year, leaving only some truly mediocre and unnecessary things below g11, a few toons at g11 who never quite reach the top of the priority list, and a few at g12 that I knew I want to relic, but never quite managed to.

There's a point at which you are largely caught up. It's possible to do, and I'm even someone who took a 6 month break, so it's not like I'm a day one player who never even put the game on pause. But yes, it takes 3-5 months for significant goals (like a new GL) to be met, and you'll have to go through a half dozen of those cycles before you realize you've reached a point where you're really comfortable with where you're at. That's going to take a long time, maybe even 2 years. But not 6.
  • MoBlaq
    581 posts Member
    Don't forget datacrons too
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    1) farming in this game is measured in weeks and months so best get used to the idea if you are staying
    2) yes, your first GL will likely take 6-9+ months: subsequent ones may be a bit shorter but don't expect any less than 3-6 months
    3) you wont get anywhere with g12->13 gearing if you rely solely on raids
    * g12 Right Side - fleet nodes, guild event store, various event rewards but not shard store which is a ripoff for these
    * g12 Left Side - shard store, guild event store, various event rewards
    * sub-g12 purples - guild store, shard store, LS/DS, various events

Your energy spending baseline should be 3x50 LS/DS and 3x50 fleet daily balanced between character shards and gear salvage depending on your current priorities. And you need to make a viable plan and stick with it
  • OP, you should check out some relic/gear guides. It's fairly easy to relic 3-4 toons a month mid game ftp as long as you participate in all weekly activities. If you can't get a toon from g12 or g12+ to g13 in less than 2 weeks then you aren't being efficient and/or focused. I had the same issue 2 years ago when I started the SLKR journey. After doing some research I realized I was doing it all wrong.
  • This is not a zero sum game, whenever CG adds a new grind layer increasing the total amount of resources needed by 50% they tell us they have to evaluate how much they should ease the grind on previous resources levels, after a year they let us know they understand that the game might be unbalanced, after another year they promise us to ease the grind by 10% and they implement 7% of that, and after another year they will let us know they are happy with the changes done.
  • I remember the Malak shard debacle.
    The way CG punished some players and rewarded others for CGs own mistakes was a disgrace.