Datacrons and mental labor

I know this has been part of the conversation, but I don’t feel like it’s been a prominent enough one. For all the issues with Datacrons, I really think the biggest issue is the amount of additional mental labor.

I’m sure many will dismiss this as a concern and say they are happy to just take advantage of everyone else who sees this as a problem. But they are just too much of an extra layer of stuff to try to account for. It’s much to sort through in GAC and TW. Too much information, too may scenarios, too much planning. I’m not seeing any theorycrafting either with these. In GAC it just looks like load up Datacrons on D and wait to see if opponent bothers attacking or fails anywhere and then maybe try to counter attack for enough points to win. There’s much less nuance to the matches. And I’m in Kyber 1.

And unless Datacrons can get figured into GP somehow, TW matchmaking is going to be pretty wonky.

So I’m sure the data will say people are engaging. But not all engagement is the same. I engage every year with paying taxes, doesn’t mean I love them. I do what I have to. Datacron engagement seems to more like that. People are doing them because they have to, but they’re exhausted by them. The impact on gameplay has been negative overall. Regardless of the quantity of engagement the data shows, the qualitative part has to be accounted for. And qualitatively these things are a mess.

I’m deliberately avoiding the request from CG for specific and concrete feedback here. Because I think that misses the point. Regardless of how they get tweaked with material income changes, changes in power level, changes in GLs being included or not, they are just too much mental labor and not interesting enough to be worth the effort no matter how they get adjusted.

Replies

• I_JnK_I
    464 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    You mean that besides looking for counters on swgoh.gg or youtube, someone actually has to do this bit of thinking individually? No way

Though you are right, its actually too much to do for those who take care of TW
  • Datacrons are just a dumpster fire. Total trash addition to the game instead of adding something interesting like a new raid or TB we got rental mods.
  • I would like to see someone from CG to explain what’s good/fun about datacrons. Besides forcing addicted whales to spend even more money, I understand that CG likes that. But what’s the upside to the actual game and playability?
    The only feedback I’ve seen is Crumb asking for constructive criticism from the players on how they can change datacrons, but that’s a very defensive take, it’s like CG doesn’t even believe in their own product anymore. What’s the purpose CG, what are you trying to achieve? I want to hear from whoever is the product owner of either this game feature or the game as a whole. Speak to us.
  • I would like to see someone from CG to explain what’s good/fun about datacrons. Besides forcing addicted whales to spend even more money, I understand that CG likes that. But what’s the upside to the actual game and playability?
    The only feedback I’ve seen is Crumb asking for constructive criticism from the players on how they can change datacrons, but that’s a very defensive take, it’s like CG doesn’t even believe in their own product anymore. What’s the purpose CG, what are you trying to achieve? I want to hear from whoever is the product owner of either this game feature or the game as a whole. Speak to us.

They won’t do that. They don’t have the ____ .
  • I_JnK_I
    464 posts Member
    I would like to see someone from CG to explain what’s good/fun about datacrons. Besides forcing addicted whales to spend even more money, I understand that CG likes that. But what’s the upside to the actual game and playability?

25% tm + crit dmg = lot of fun
  • An idea that could be implemented is giving the guild leader/officers the ability to allow or disallow datacons in TW. Of course, the guild would then be matched up with another guild that made the same decision. This would reduce some of the mental gymnastics that the cons created.
  • This is actually my biggest complaint about them. IT' hard enough keeping track of 200+ character and their abilities. Omicron already added a layer of complexity. And now this noise.
  • I don’t care if datacons were free I will never like them for how Op they make GLs. No character in this game should have enough health steal to where they can get to 100% health when they are at one health with a basic.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    12thParsec wrote: »
    I don’t care if datacons were free I will never like them for how Op they make GLs. No character in this game should have enough health steal to where they can get to 100% health when they are at one health with a basic.

It's not only GLs that are being made OP. Stuff like JKL taking countless bonus turns, a 25% TM at the start of every battle or CLS getting +40% offense and +40% CD boost shouldn't be a thing either.

Datacrons in general are highly overpowered with the mechanics and stats they provide - for reference, a 40% phys dmg datacron (actually not that hard to get if you reroll a few times) is providing more offense than 4x offense primary mods, this is insane.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg