Before I get too far along - some advice?

So I'm just in my second week of GAC. I got Phoenix far enough to get a few legends to 7*. I was working on Geos and got far enough to unlock Padme, but just that far. I switched to working on CLS to work towards JKLS and then JMLS. But now it's getting more complicated and I'm finding it challenging to keep focused. I feel like I make some progress then hit a giant brick wall. By the time you read this I should have CLS unlocked. I'm working to get my BH's strong enough to unlock Chewbacca. Eventually will get Han so I can use his Falcon too. But overall I feel like maybe I'm spreading out too much. And my fleet has been falling in the rankings. I've played many games, but this seems more complex than any thus far. My goal is continual progress in the game, as well as being an asset to my guild.

https://swgoh.gg/p/158881966/

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Replies

• I should add that I've read a lot of threads, watched videos, but it's hard to sort out what's actually still relevant given that a lot of what comes up is 2-3 years or more old.

And to get back to the relevance to this forum - I do need advice on just how many different squads I should work on to at least have a chance at moving up in GAC.
  • Well, looking at your roster. You're definitely spreading yourself too thinly. You're well over a million now, and you don't really have much with a punch.

It's vital you start to focus on some thing.

With focusing on a GL, you're giving up on initial gains for larger gains in the future. That said, to get to JML, you have to gear up a lot of great characters anyway.

JML does have a few difficult to get characters though. 3PO, Chewie, JKL, Wampa, Hoda.....

So, I think you need to sit down and look at the requirements for JML, JKL and CLS and decide how viable they are. My hunch is it'll take you a long time. If that's too long, you might want to aim for something a bit easier.
  • Metasly
    280 posts Member
    When helping my kid build his account I steered him toward SLKR as a first GL as FO is the more self sufficient grind. It helps to stay focused too.
    Next I would say Rey or SEE.
    I think Rey is a better 2nd GL now that Ben Solo has been anounced : he'll be farmable in Proving Grounds by the time you're ready for her ;-)
  • I agree with everything everyone has said so far. I picked JML as my first GL and it took me two years to get there. I am F2P and I had to gear up for both JKL and Chewbacca before I could fully hit JML. But still. Two years. I'm not trying to discourage you from that one, I'm just trying to set your expectations. I will say, now that I have him, he's definitely my favourite GL. So if you want him, go for it! This game is here for you to have fun. Just want you to make an informed decision.

To answer your other question, in gearing up for JML, you will be getting more squads than any other GL. So that will beef up your power a lot. Including in fleets, since you'll have to get the Falcon and the Y-Wing along the way. I think you picked a great GL. Just gotta stick with it
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Kylo is by far the best first GL to go for. It's not even close.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• two years is a really long grind. what motivates you to play everyday knowing that you will get virtually nowhere?
  • two years is a really long grind. what motivates you to play everyday knowing that you will get virtually nowhere?

I can't repeat it often enough. Focus.
    Just answer yourself 2 questions.
    1. What is you current goal you're working towards
    2. What is the next goal

While working on your goal from point 1.) you can already start working a little on your next goal. Such as unlocking characters or bringing them to 7 stars, while at the same time farming gear.
    Strategies are really important. For example after I've unlocked my first GL incl Ulti and team and noticed that I would drop down in the fleet arena if I focus now on a second GL, or 2nd tier character. So I went for the Executor (all f2p) and unlocked it, incl. setting up the BH fleet for it. Now I have secured my crystal income from the fleet arena, then unlocked GAS (yes, still hadn't unlocked him at that time), bringing the 501 team to G13, and in parallel working a little on the JMK prerequisites, like bringing the remaining JMK prerequisite toons to 7 stars, with no refreshes. So when GAS and his 501 are ready and I can fully focus on gearing up JMK prerequisites.
    It seems taking ages (and it does), but eventually you will reach your objective. The annoying thing besides the long time is that it seems you're trying to catch up with the new toons but can't, and the list of toons you want to farm is growing and growing.
    I've actually given up worrying about that, I won't switch to any of these yet (only exception was when I unlocked CAT and brought her to G13 quickly without really having her on my list) and don't care about those.

tl;dr: whatever strategy you have - if you have one - stick to it. You will reach it, and it will improve your roster.
  • StarSon
    7409 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Kylo is by far the best first GL to go for. It's not even close.

This. If you *want* JML to be your first, by all means, do that. But if you're looking for quickest way to having a proper usable team, SLKR is the way to go. In the meantime you can start using your GET for Hoda/Wampa so that you are also working towards JML, but you won't have 18+ months of no payoff.

For the love of it. This might be a bit personal, but Star Wars was the first movie I ever remember watching as a kid. So it holds a meaningful place to me.

Plus the sense of achievement I get when I finally best whatever event I'm working on currently is an incredible feeling. Going from being owned by LS Geo TB, to cleaning up droids left and right with a killer Jedi team is a pretty sick feeling. I play the game the way I want to with what's in the game. That's what keeps going.
  • thinking about gls, kylo is easiest, but that is speaking relic levels. you mentioned something about your ships falling in ranks, so the finalizer could be very hard to get. i chose to go for SEE for those very reasons, so before you commit one way or another, be sure to consider all options.
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    two years is a really long grind. what motivates you to play everyday knowing that you will get virtually nowhere?
    you will get somewhere, the grind is the fun part
    as long as it’s not too grindy
  • thanks. The reason I'm ultimately going for JMLS is that pre-covid I was a regular cosplayer of ep VII Luke - real hair and beard (people would ask me where I got the beard and hair, to which I would respond with either "I grew it" or "genetics"). Even a member of Rebel Legion. But I don't have quite the patience of a jedi master, even if I look like one. I can imagine that working for so long towards a goal, it will feel incredibly rewarding. But with it so long, it's challenging to maintain that focus. Like I unlocked 5* Chewie for CLS, but it seems so far away to get to 6* much less 7* and then C3PO since the grind for gear is glacially slow. So I have Chewie, but can't really use him any time soon.

Main question: what is a good roadmap of different milestones/goals to focus on over the 1-2 years towards getting JMLS?

Below is more of just rambling thoughts and questions - feel free to ignore.

I understand why it's recommended to go for Kylo, but the character just doesn't do anything for me. It would seem like a long detour with a mediocre payoff. But then it's such a long way to JMLS and I struggle to figure out what to focus on, because there is so much. I was focusing on just bounty hunters in order to unlock Chewie, but now I'm seeing that I'm so far behind in gear, and the drop rates are terrible. And I don't have anywhere near what is recommended for a CLS squad. I'm used to playing games where you enter a server around the same time as everyone else and thus are starting at relatively equal points. The daily grind is necessary to keep up, keep ahead. But here, the grind is largely based on RNGesus, rather than putting in the hours of gameplay. Just this week I've been trying to upgrade 1 piece of gear on one toon and still not getting it. And there are 50 more toons that need the same gear.

Anyway, that's all just a rant, I guess. What I'm wondering is, for those that took this long difficult road, what squads did you focus on and in what order? Did you beef up a squad like Phoenix just to have one that's competitive, or did you run really weak squads of toons that would later be critical? For example, after unlocking CLS, what did you run before you had Han or Chewie at all or even at a "good enough" level? I don't want to waste any gear especially on toons that will be of no use in the near future.
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    @DaveSkywalker
    If JML is your target then go for it!
    Set some useful targets along the way:
    1) Get in a guild doing all the raids to get currency and shards.
    2) ONLY use GET1 on Wampa and Hoda, never ever gear.
    3) Farm Logray now….(see below)
    Set some useful squad targets:
    BHs — you can use for an ABattle, 7 star Chewie and MFalc. I suggest this is your priority 1 Darkside team. Focus on the 4 pilots to 7 star + 1 (Jango?)
    CLS team - your main LSide team.
    Eventual target is CLS, Chewie, Chewpio, C3PO and Raid Han. But, it’s a “modular” team — R2D2, Old Ben and even Leia can stand in while you get the others.
    Ewoks! - you will need C3PO at 7 stars. So better to plan for this. You need to prioritise Logray from the Guild Currency store.
    Chirpa, Wicket, Logray, Elder and Paploo is the best team and only needs about G10/11 to get C3PO
    Mon Mothma team — Hoth Rebel Scout, Biggs, Wedge and Lando. Only Hoth Rebel Scout stays on this team longterm BUT you need the other 3 for JML. HRS also is needed for some nodes in Hoth LSTB. Don’t bother with his name sake Soldier though.

JTR unlock also needs done - Finn, sRey, BB8 and both vets need to be 7 star. This may mean boosting your FO just enough to get BB8 to 7 star.
    Your JTR lineup will be:
    JTR, BB8, R2D2 and both Vets

Vader team…you need him so might as well build a decent Empire or Sith team around him.
    EP, Vader, Thrawn + 2 makes the most sense with your roster.
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    The other thing to plan for are ABattles!
    1)CLS covers 1
    2)FO/Sith
    3)BHs x1 (but not as well as ITroopers)
    4)Jedi another
    5)ITs/Droids another
    6)NSisters
    7)Inquis

You should have cover for the first 5 (if you get HK or the new droid leader)
    The 3rd and 5th are BEST covered with ITroopers.
    However BHs and Droids can cover them.
    e.g. here’s a small clip from a while ago using droids
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4BLP92R-JDs
  • @Shadowscream Thank you. That's very helpful.

I do have a guild that is doing all the raids, so I'm cruising along towards getting Han

I just started going for Wampa. I should have saved the GET1 before, but I'm trying to remember to use it only for wampa now

For BH - I have been working on the pilots, but stopped on IG 88 because most of what I read says he's not good for the Chewie event. The team I have planned is: zBossk, Boba, Cad, Greef and Mando. Boba and Cad are 7 star already, Bossk is a given, and then Greef and Mando, who will be useful for beskar mando at some point.

For CLS, right now I have R2, Leia standard and then +2 others. But of course it will eventually be the standard squad as I get/gear them

Ewoks - I wasn't going to go for Logray. He's not farmable, so he's more difficult to get. My plan is: Chief, Wicket, Elder, Teebo and Scout. The last one because I keep getting shards from the bronzium store and only need 36 more to have enough for 7*, which I'm sure I'll have in no time (got 20 shards for him yesterday). I found someone's guide using this team - all geared g11 except teebo at g9, but using zetas on chirpa and wicket. I have already been farming zetas, so that will probably be easier than gearing them Teebo is in there just because he's much easier than logray and paploo to get.

Parts of the MM team is already coming along - just missing MM.

JTR (and pre-reqs), since they are not needed yet, are on hold. Seem to be the lowest priority at the moment.

I have been thinking about an itrooper team (veers, piett, starck, range and death) and my current empire team is ep, vader, thrawn, tarkin and shoretrooper - that gives me 4 different leaders for flexibility - and vader already has 1 zeta (MM)

I recently got zombie, so that will help my nightsister team

I have 0 inquisitors. With all of the other squads needed, I wasn't planning on trying to get them too.

I have plenty of options for Jedi teams, but mainly am using Bastilla lead

I have a weak droid team setup, but will look into ways to build that. It certainly would be a place for IG88 as long as I need to get him leveled for the falcon.

• Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Without Logray it’s doable but needs more gear….
    Since you have several teams to work on you could just farm him slowly from the Guild Activity store (he’s usually there at least once a day)
    IF….you are doing it without you need Paploo…the tank.
    Chirpa (G11+) + Zeta, Paploo (G11+), Elder (G12)….he mustn’t die!

Then Teebo (for TM/stealth shenanigans)
    Then a damage dealer Wicket>Scout

I definitely wouldn’t try it without Paploo.

I did it when it came out with help from this guys video, but the gear levels do need to be higher than with Logray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0F0WWn6Kg&t=316s