[MEGATHREAD] Road Ahead: June 2022 - Datacrons

Replies

• can we get a anti-cheater datacron for next set?
  • Hey CG, I don't think I've mentioned this yet this week so I just thought I would reiterate. Datacrons suck. They are garbage, excessive, overpowered, destroy theorycrafting, make multi-million power rosters useless, and eliminate any thought processes other than, "what datacron are they using?"

Even this third set being "a bit" calmed down, is still ridiculous. You used to claim you all play the game, but whoever came up with and made the decision to implement some level 6 abilities (stun the target even if your character blinks and misses!) and especially level 9s for GL's have absolutely no clue how the game functions, nor do they actually play it. (Maybe they login once a month and play through the tutorial?)

Still excessive, overpowered, and ridiculous garbage.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Rius
    356 posts Member
    Hal_10000 wrote: »
    CG giving away more and more datacron material shows they fundamentally misunderstand the problem. It's not the farming that we object to; it's that the datacrons fundamentally change the game. It's no longer about having good strategy and good mods and executing. It's about the RNG of having a killer datacron that can make a team invincible.

RNG like splicing mods….my mod splicing RNG is atrocious but I keep grinding away in the hope of getting something which improves my characters. Some players do not bother too much with mods whilst some have amazing mods they either worked hard achieving or had amazing luck (maybe even mine as well). That’s where I see datacrons. Players will choose to engage or not and they will impact the competitiveness of a roster just like any other way of levelling up: relic level, mods, zeta, omicron, number of characters/ ships.
  • If my mods were deleted regularly by CG, I wouldn't farm them (and I'd quit, but that's a digression).
  • Rius wrote: »
    CG giving away more and more datacron material shows they fundamentally misunderstand the problem. It's not the farming that we object to; it's that the datacrons fundamentally change the game. It's no longer about having good strategy and good mods and executing. It's about the RNG of having a killer datacron that can make a team invincible.

RNG like splicing mods….my mod splicing RNG is atrocious but I keep grinding away in the hope of getting something which improves my characters. Some players do not bother too much with mods whilst some have amazing mods they either worked hard achieving or had amazing luck (maybe even mine as well). That’s where I see datacrons. Players will choose to engage or not and they will impact the competitiveness of a roster just like any other way of levelling up: relic level, mods, zeta, omicron, number of characters/ ships.

Mods are forever, datacons are temporary. Omicrons are forever, datacons are temporary. Character levels are forever, datacons are temporary. No matter how much they calm down datacons, they are temporary and make any strategy, any theorycrafting useless. The next team will come out and it'll be "okay, ewoks are going to destroy everyone, but CG is totally NOT trying to get you to relic 7 your ewoks. Nope, not at all!" And three months later they'll lose that datacon because it's temporary. This just looks like CG wanting us to burn through resources more quickly because we're "hoarding" too much again.

The idea might've started, "hey let's make characters and team unique by adding a little difference to them with something, like 100% crit damage, or 100% defense!"

That got turned into (most likely by some extreme sports junky): "got it, okay so add 300% offense to that Rey character, that galactic version I think? Oh and add 800% health steal, oh and make protection absolutely useless against these teams, oh and make the whole team hit harder by like 150%, oh and add abilities for the most powerful characters, oh and add more other stats like 100% tenacity, 100% potency!" "Okay, we can do that, that's a lot of variations for about a dozen datacrons." "no no no! put all that one ONE datacron. It'll be super extreme! Now excuse me, I have to go do my 3 hours of crossfit. Did I tell you I do crossfit yet today? Because I do."

"Oh remember, don't let them use those in PVE stuff, ONLY PVP so they can't gain an unfair advantage against conquest, territory battles, galactic challenges, assault battles, etc. Unfair advantage is only okay against other players!"
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Well, our guild just had 3 officers just quit. Thanks CG, you are driving off top players.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

No matter how much they calm down datacons, they are temporary and make any strategy, any theorycrafting useless.

The theorycrafting Ahnaldt or Swgoh.gg's counter table has done for you at some point in the past or what theorycrafting are we talking about? I like that datacron mix those up. Makes the guys that went down the entire meta tier list having to think about the matchups once or twice per GAC round
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Mods are forever, datacons are temporary

Ah yes, the unvaluable knowledge about my opponent having rolled higher in the rng AND gets to keep them forever. What more would you want to have?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    I_JnK_I wrote: »

No matter how much they calm down datacons, they are temporary and make any strategy, any theorycrafting useless.

The theorycrafting Ahnaldt or Swgoh.gg's counter table has done for you at some point in the past or what theorycrafting are we talking about? I like that datacron mix those up. Makes the guys that went down the entire meta tier list having to think about the matchups once or twice per GAC round

Ah yes, the unvaluable knowledge about my opponent having rolled higher in the rng AND gets to keep them forever. What more would you want to have?

They rolled higher than you in the -rng- thousand times? Makes perfect sense, surely has nothing to do with investing in mods more.
  • Dear CG,
    Reading through the last few pages, I see a lot of negativity, and I can’t help but feel that way as well… we’ve just lost five players since the end of the last territory war, they’d had enough, all just because of datacrons. These were all long-term, good players, 5-6 GLs… and they waited before packing it, to see if any improvements or communication would come. It didn’t happen !
    I think the concept of datacron in itself isn’t bad, but the way it’s been implemented is taking too much away from what was essentially a well balanced and fun game. The players who left our guild used to love GAC and TW, they quit because datacrons has ruined it for them. Again, I can’t help but feel the same way. Before datacrons, our guild was booming, people were lining up to join, and now, it looks like we’ll be lucky to start TB with 45 people today.
    I don’t know what your in-house data is telling you, but circumstantial evidence suggests that datacrons are driving people away from the game. If you’re going to push datacrons beyond the exhibition season, please go back to the drawing board, and please try and communicate with the player base for feedback. A weekly newsletter would be a welcome addition for example.
    I hope you’ll read this and see some optimism through what I’m saying. I’m not quitting the game even if I don’t like the recent changes for instance, and I have faith you’ll see what’s best for the players and for CG (and it’s not mutually exclusive !)!

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Well, our guild just had 3 officers just quit. Thanks CG, you are driving off top players.

Just had two more quit and 4-5 guys in my arena shard have gone silent and have been knocked out of the top 50. Would really like to know the numbers of people who are leaving this game. No way CG would ever release that though.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »

Just had two more quit and 4-5 guys in my arena shard have gone silent and have been knocked out of the top 50. Would really like to know the numbers of people who are leaving this game. No way CG would ever release that though.

We are averaging one quit a week in our highly competitive guild…and had to talk (beg) three to stay on for this TB before they quit.
  • MaruMaru wrote: »

They rolled higher than you in the -rng- thousand times? Makes perfect sense, surely has nothing to do with investing in mods more.

Same goes for datacrons doesnt it?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Not really. While the underlying the mechanics is the same, you do one of these things 10 times, or in 2 digits and the other one in 4-5 digits. RNG ceases to be a factor on large numbers while it's the main factor on few ones and there will be lucky ones (=crons).
  • I_JnK_I wrote: »

To equivocate datacrons and mods in swgoh would be interesting. Consider a set of mods with +300 speed, +300% offense, +100% tenacity, +100% potency, +75% defense, +100% armor penetration, +500% health. Now think of that in one set of mods (even a 4-set). Consider the same amount of stats can be found in ONE datacron. That's not even including the stun if someone blinks, immunity for 2 turns, gain ultimate 2x, nor even the 800% health steal some have gotten on their datacrons.

The power of even the best mod sets don't come close to what one datacron can do, in some cases even at level 6 since some of those are even out of control ridiculous. If you like datacrons, good for you. I feel players that like them are by far outnumbered by those of us who hate what they've brought by infecting the game with instant gratification temporary overpowered garbage.

• MaruMaru wrote: »

Not really. While the underlying the mechanics is the same, you do one of these things 10 times, or in 2 digits and the other one in 4-5 digits. RNG ceases to be a factor on large numbers while it's the main factor on few ones and there will be lucky ones (=crons).

So basically mods are ok because i get to fail more?

Hitting 5 speed rolls in 3 of 1000 for +22 speed is so much cooler when every second character relies on speed.
  • Fieldgulls wrote: »

We are averaging one quit a week in our highly competitive guild…and had to talk (beg) three to stay on for this TB before they quit.

We've had two quit recently and datacrons weren't the only reason, but datacrons are the catalyst. A third one is going to quit after TB finishes. Players who have been around for 5ish years now. GL Jabba might have pulled a couple back, but it's not like there aren't a handful of players in each of many guilds that are close to quitting based on what's making the game more like work and less like fun.

Perhaps CG should be reviewing the level of transition in guilds that's happened since datacrons were implemented just to see what's going on with guilds at this point. I'm guessing the player turnover is quite a bit higher than previous months, though only CG can see the full data. If they want to see it, that is. Top 100 guilds probably don't need to worry about filling those 2-3 positions they just lost because they have 4-5 feeder guilds. They just say, "we've got another spot open!" and have 10+ volunteers. But the rest of us don't necessarily have that similar luxury.
  • I_JnK_I wrote: »

Hitting 5 speed rolls in 3 of 1000 for +22 speed is so much cooler when every second character relies on speed.

Are you trying not to understand the distinction he is making?

Mods are permanent and therefore have the benefit of large numbers, which makes the RNG distribution relatively narrow for seasoned players.

You are either trolling or not getting it. Note that "getting it" doesn't mean you have to hate datacrons. It's perfectly acceptable to like datacrons while acknowledging the realities that exist. Some find those realities good. Some find them bad.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

You don't fail more, you fail as much as everyone when you try it thousands of times with a very small margin of difference. When you look at someone else's mod roster, the difference you see has nothing to do with rng, but the amount of rolls they did and that is how long/much they invested in it(given you raise your mods the optimal way like any long timer).
  • Sev112
    109 posts Member
    I feel like the datacron Enduring Codex that grants Light Side Allies 25 percent turn meter at the start of battle is bugged to where its granting it even after the battle has started and creating a massive turn meter train. Anyone else experiencing this or am I just not understanding datacrons?
  • With respect it’s not a very new suggestion as you posted pretty much the same request 3 minutes earlier.
  • Ok see you tomorrow
  • A lot of people appoint themselves as a spokesman for the entire player base on these forums.

I’m not sure I’d go as far as to say I want or like datacrons, but I sure enjoy facing people in GAC and TW that haven’t engaged with them.
  • I'd vote for removing datacron.
  • How about we keep Datacrons but get refunded all the money and crystals we have spent on mods that is now completely useless against Datacrons.
  • How about we have the same thread about datacrons every week with the exact same suggestions?

That sounds like the best outcome.
  • How about we have the same thread about datacrons every week with the exact same suggestions?

That sounds like the best outcome.

Maybe this time CG listen to the same 5 people COPIUM