Is Boba Fett a Mandalorian?

yolkywareagle
1016 posts Member
edited August 2022
Hello y’all. I have a question about Boba Fett: Is he a mando? Personally I believe that he is one, but I would like to see other people’s point of view. Thanks!
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    He’s a bobalorian
  • MoBlaq
    580 posts Member
    Is every Clone Trooper a Mandalorian?
  • No. Mandalorian is a culture, not a species. You aren’t a Mandalorian because your parents were, you’re a Mandalorian because you were raised with their traditions and value system.

Boba might could have grown up to be a Mandalorian if Jango hadn’t lost his head like that. But as it stands he didn’t, so he’s just a regular human wearing old Mandalorian armor.

Figure it this way—if I went to a museum and stole a suit of medieval plate armor, would that make me a knight? So, no, Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • OP clearly has not watched The Mandalorian season 2. :D
  • NicWester wrote: »
    No. Mandalorian is a culture, not a species. You aren’t a Mandalorian because your parents were, you’re a Mandalorian because you were raised with their traditions and value system.

Mandalore is a planet and the people on that planet are/were Mandalorians. None of those that we saw there even resemble what we think of as Mandalorians. Nor did/do they live by that warrior code.

Also, if Jango was born on Mandalore and if you take Boba's description of his armour; which Djin conceded makes Boba the rightful owner.

That makes Boba as Mandalorian as anybody.

From a SWGOH perspective. If Jango has the tag, I think Boba should too.
  • LordDirt
    4942 posts Member
    Boba was born on Kamino not Mandalore. He didn't follow any Mandalore traditions and just wore the armor.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Boba was born on Kamino not Mandalore. He didn't follow any Mandalore traditions and just wore the armor.

As I said, traditions do not mean Mandalorian. We have several Clone Wars episodes. Until the take over, there were no discernible traditions shown by the millions living on the planet.

These traditions were mainly upheld by warrior like Mandalorians not living on Mandalore. I'm British, but I don't like tea...........and never eat fish and chips. Is this enough of a break from tradition to stop me being British anymore?

I'd also argue that Boba showed a 'Mandalorian' connection to his armour. His description of his and his father's connection to the armour, which Din accepts as being rightful. A Mandalorian youngling passing his armour to his youngling.

So if Boba was born on Kamino, does that make him a Kaminoan? It definitely doesn't as that's a distinct and unique species.

If I were born in England, but adopted by a Frenchman, what does that make me? If I'm adopted by a Frenchman that's related to me?

The Mandalorian described the Jango situation (so I guess that's canon now) as him being a youngling adopted into the Mandalorian way. Did he not do the same thing with Boba?

No matter what Bo-Katan and her crew say, I think Boba's got as much right to call himself Mandalorian and Din or Jango.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    OP clearly has not watched The Mandalorian season 2. :D
    I have, that is what raised the question.

• LordDirt wrote: »

As I said, traditions do not mean Mandalorian. We have several Clone Wars episodes. Until the take over, there were no discernible traditions shown by the millions living on the planet.

These traditions were mainly upheld by warrior like Mandalorians not living on Mandalore. I'm British, but I don't like tea...........and never eat fish and chips. Is this enough of a break from tradition to stop me being British anymore?

I'd also argue that Boba showed a 'Mandalorian' connection to his armour. His description of his and his father's connection to the armour, which Din accepts as being rightful. A Mandalorian youngling passing his armour to his youngling.

So if Boba was born on Kamino, does that make him a Kaminoan? It definitely doesn't as that's a distinct and unique species.

If I were born in England, but adopted by a Frenchman, what does that make me? If I'm adopted by a Frenchman that's related to me?

The Mandalorian described the Jango situation (so I guess that's canon now) as him being a youngling adopted into the Mandalorian way. Did he not do the same thing with Boba?

No matter what Bo-Katan and her crew say, I think Boba's got as much right to call himself Mandalorian and Din or Jango.

I fully agree. Also, all mandos except for “mandos” group take off their helmets.
  • LendersQuiz
    1161 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    The issue is that "Mandalorian" can mean both citizen of Mandalore (or one of their worlds) or a practitioner of one of the many "Mandalorian religions".

Boba Fett wasn't born on Mandalore nor does he practice the religion. He never even lived on Mandalore (as far as I know. Maul did for a time, even becoming it's ruler making him a de-facto citizen.

Is Boba Fett a Mandalorian? By blood sure. However, the game seems to be counting Mandalorian by citizenship or by religion not by blood.
  • If Boba Fett is Mandalorian by blood, then surely 5s, Rex, Echo, Tech, Wrecker, ARC, clone Sarge, Cody are all Mandalorian by blood too?
  • Yeah, it's not clear cut. And I think the Mando series adds layers to 'being Mandalorian' too. It's become a sort of cult that initiates new cultists.

In the Mandalorian, Boba states that Jango was a youngling (a bold bit of canon there) exactly like Mando. Although he died young, he passed down what he could to Boba, and Boba's speech about how the armour belonged to him and why resonated with Mando. I think Mando feels that Boba was Jango's youngling.

For me this is him qualifying himself as an initiated and rightful Mandalorian. I'm not sure Mando differentiates between 'rightful owner of armour' and 'being Mandalorian'. In fact I'm pretty sure 1 equals the same to him.

The fact he's the same blood as Jango is icing for me.
  • If Boba Fett is Mandalorian by blood, then surely 5s, Rex, Echo, Tech, Wrecker, ARC, clone Sarge, Cody are all Mandalorian by blood too?

By blood (genetics), yes.

Example, if my ancestors come from Earth, even if I was born on Vulcun, then by blood, I would be an "Earthling". By citizenship, I would be Vulcan.

Ok but they have modified growth rate and other things added to them like the inhibitor chips.