What to build after Phoenix and First Order?

Hello there.

I've been playing for about 6 months, perhaps inefficiently, and have 1M GP. I'm hoping to step up my squad/fleet arena rankings, get gud at GAC, and generally have more strong teams so I can beat more content. Any advice would be appreciated! I describe my roster and current plans below.

I've built a 7* Phoenix Squadron team to G10-11, a 7* First Order to G8-11, and am now farming up Bounty Hunters (G8-11 but not good comp or 7* yet) and their ships. The idea was to get Hounds Tooth and other BH ships to synergize with it, so I can get higher fleet arena ranks while also working towards Han's Millennium Falcon. After that I was thinking to build a rebel fleet around the Falcon, and go for a CLS squad and C3PO (Ewoks lol).

I was hoarding crystals and then bought some BH ship packs, so I already have some of them at higher stars but they won't shine until I invest in the pilots a bit more. However maybe a First Order fleet would do better? I recently watched Darth Loquitur's beginner videos and am wondering if I should ditch my plans and follow that, even though my account isn't brand new (that'd mean get Geos squad to join a better guild, then Bastila Jedi squad, then palp Empire squad). Or maybe focus on gearing up the FO squad & fleet and then focus on getting Finalizer? Feels bad to ditch my Bounty Hunter efforts but I'm willing to do whatever gets me a bombad roster.

Full roster details: https://swgoh.gg/p/321769836/

Thanks!

Replies

• So my first thought is you're only seeing half the picture.

With Phoenix, the idea is to get a 7 star thrawn and Palpatine (which you've done). Not actually collect it for the team it is. Once you've done this, the best thing is to stop working on the team altogether. They're a very good team for newer players and good in Galatic War. However, their ceiling is very very low. So, it's better to stop farming them now.

Your reward for that is the Empire team, which you've neglected.

As for First Order, it's not a great team at all. It's ok, but not a team you prioritize because of the team. The reason you go for First Order early is if you're going to go all in on SLKR. I don't really see a reason for building them otherwise. Are you ok with an all in for SLKR?

Yeah, you could go for an FO fleet. The Finalizer and FO is pretty good.

As for Bounty Hunters. A Bounty Hunter team is very good, with the right components. However, it's really hard to use and needs to be modded perfectly. Also used in the right match ups. If not, it's a pain and super annoying.

The ships too, don't really have that much synergy (without the Executor). Not like rebels or separatist ships do. That said The Hounds Tooth is arguably the best ship in the game. It's an absolute tank, no matter what ships you use with it.

So I think your first decision is 'Am I all in for a GL or not?'
  • Thanks @harvestmouse, I had originally been following a guide that suggested going straight for SLKR but once I realized that meant a long hard grind with no good teams to keep me entertained along the way, I decided not to. I think I'd better stick with not doing GL yet so I don't get bored of the game!

The guides I've read recently have helped me realize that Phoenix isn't great (I've been feeling it already but refused to believe it since they were so great at the beginning =P) so I've stopped investing in them. Thanks for confirming. FO is what's keeping me above ~1300 squad arena rank but I'm happy to ditch them for something with more midgame potential.

You noted I've neglected Empire, are they a good option to invest or are there stronger teams in reach for me now? I see they have ships, and a team that'll ramp up both my squad and fleet is a big plus!
  • Well the good news is, you've invested in the better FO characters. So you can make an ok team there.

I really don't consider most teams 'a team' until they're at least gear 12. So you need to think about getting your teams there before moving on. I think the 2 kylos, sith trooper, hux and the tie fighter pilot with the GAC omicron to gear 12 should be a priority right now. There's no harm done either, as in the long term it's pushing you toward SLKR.

Yes, Empire are a good team. Not one of the best teams, but they can be a core team for you. Palpatine has also had a resurgence since the release of Mara Jade. What's more she works well at low stars. So, Palp lead, vader, Mara, Thrawn and 1 other would be another good team to get to gear 12.

I can relate to the 'not going for a GL to keep things fresh' approach. You 'may be' able to do that for a while. However, you have to think about good legends instead. Commander Luke Skywalker and Jedi Knight Revan are both very good legends that aren't too difficult to get.

At that point you'd have a fairly good core. FO, Empire, CLS, JKR and BH Phoenix back up.

So the main thing right now is, you need to think of at least G12 before moving on to new teams.
  • Badger_Diaz
    230 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    After getting thrawn and palpetine, I went for geonesians/seperatist, then, once I got padme my options opened up as I took advantage of the light speed bundle when it was half price, so I built mediocre Jedi/GR, empire squads and bounty Hunter squads just to help with wars, raids etc,
    Then I started again on first order to get slkr, once I’ve farmed all the shards i need for both my FO fleet and the toons, I’m moving onto farming for Rey as she seems to be the natural progression after getting SLKR.
    In the mean time I’ll level up abilities and XP a squad at a time, or what journey guide chars I can farm in shipments and then move on to getting Luke, chewie, 3pO etc.

What really put me off going for commander luke is that to get him the squad is so weak and extremely boring to play I couldn’t be bothered wasting my too much time and resources on them when there’s more fun avenues to play.
    Post edited by Badger_Diaz on
  • Might help to post your roster (or at least ally code).

I farmed a big variety of teams and then went for SLKR, and ended up with a lot of weak options and relic’ed first order who aren’t bad, but they’re not great.

JTR is a big investment because she doesn’t use the team you farm to get her, you need to get R2 and BB8 (which I’m guessing you have) but also the hero bros, who are slow farms and aren’t easy to gear. The resulting team is pretty good but isn’t top tier. I have her and regret it.

Big thing I’d recommend at this point is getting the Padme team geared with key relics. A solid Padme team with two tanks (JKA, Snips, Kenobi, Windu) is an obnoxious defensive wall in GAC. JKA is a great character to relic too as he’s got a top-tier ship and his AoE is legen (wait for it) dairy.

Setting up a proper CLS team requires C-3PO and unless you have godly mods that means bringing the subpar murder bears team to decent gear levels. Make sure everything else is up and running before taking that dive.

Bounty Hunters under Bossk’s Zeta (and his dairy ship) are another really important early team. Need them for Chewie anyway (I’d go Bossk, Boba, Jango, Cad, Dengar - pilots for SLKR ships, Dengar’s a prereq for Executor and great for the Chewie mission, and Jango is good and same node as Bossk’s ship).
  • Badger_Diaz
    230 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Might help to post your roster (or at least ally code).

I farmed a big variety of teams and then went for SLKR, and ended up with a lot of weak options and relic’ed first order who aren’t bad, but they’re not great.

JTR is a big investment because she doesn’t use the team you farm to get her, you need to get R2 and BB8 (which I’m guessing you have) but also the hero bros, who are slow farms and aren’t easy to farm

This makes no sense.

I don’t know what hero bros you’re on about but only “bro” toons I can think Of needed for JTR are veteran Han and chewie?
    which (afaik) are both easily farmable in the cantina…
    and why is R2 needed?
    He’s not a prerequisite anywhere in rey’s journey, unless I’m missing something?

Do you mean you need R2 bb8 and hero bros (who are they) to create a et JTR team?

I personally would only be looking to get JTR because she’s needed for (gl)Rey
  • Might help to post your roster (or at least ally code).

JTR is a big investment because she doesn’t use the team you farm to get her, you need to get R2 and BB8 (which I’m guessing you have) but also the hero bros, who are slow farms and aren’t easy to farm

This makes no sense.

I don’t know what hero bros you’re on about but only “bro” toons I can think Of needed for JTR are veteran Han and chewie?
    which (afaik) are both easily farmable in the cantina…
    and why is R2 needed?
    He’s not a prerequisite anywhere in rey’s journey, unless I’m missing something?

Do you mean you need R2 bb8 and hero bros (who are they) to create a et JTR team?

I personally would only be looking to get JTR because she’s needed for (gl)Rey

They are talking about Resistance Hero Poe and Resistance Hero Finn who along with BB8 and R2D2 are needed to make the JTR team
  • InquisitorFang
    59 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    JTR team, the better one, is JTR as lead. She’s the tank but she doesn’t have taunt, so R2 stealthing everyone else is really handy. BB8 is there to play turn meter games with JTR, and also benefits R2. They’re the core of the team and what you use for 3v3.

What makes the team much better is the addition of Resistance Heroes Poe and Finn. With them and JTR’s leadership Zeta, you can play turn meter games by suppressing the enemy team’s ability to act, which in principle means they never get a turn helped with all the stuns. That R2 has a nice AoE and stun on basic also makes him a big help here. If they do get some damage in, the team has a lot of healing to recover.

For it to work you have to out-speed the other team, though, so it’s not an easy team to set up.
  • Don't discount CLS, although the people you need for unlocking him aren't great (although Old Ben is handy), you don't need to gear them up too much to finish the event. Assuming that you're relatively early on in the game, not having the optimum CLS team (CLS, han, Chewie, chewpio and 3po) isn't much of a disadvantage because you normally pick them up along the way.
  • Yeah, some touched on it, but the only reason to get FO early is if you want to get SLKR.

Overall, I think that’s generally a bad strategy. Yes, you get one strong team, but it’s very resource intensive and really only leaves you with one team that’s any good (though omicrons can give you some value from the scraps) and a good fleet.

I think the best strategy early is to create a base of solid teams that will bring value in a number of areas in the game, and having more good teams seems to give you a leg up in GAC.

I would consider Padme, CLS, Empire (basically Vader and EP), Separatist droids and 501st to be the best teams for this. Some will also say Bounty Hunters and Troopers, and they aren’t wrong, but I would plan out a strategy to put these teams together by looking at what they need, what the best combinations are and then planning out how to get them. Which to go for first, how much to put into each toon, etc.
  • Bounty Hunters have the perk of having a lot of good ships. They’re also all scoundrels as well so they’re great for events.

If I started over, it’d be one of my first teams. Need them for Chewie anyway.

Whatever you build, make sure you have enough to do the max Credit Heist ASAP, as money is a very limited resource early to mid game. The streamers with hundreds of millions of credits saved up are missing out on mods, so don’t take their surplus as an indication that credits don’t matter.
  • Yeah, BHs being a requirement for Chewie and the credit/training droid heists (scoundrels at least) are reason enough to get them.