Unpopular opinion on the new GAC System

Prev1
As the title would suggest, I am one of the very few people that finds the new GAC System much more fair. I think the new system is brilliant in terms of fairness of Crystal rewards and in general everyone outside of Kyber 1 would get roughly 50/50 Win/Loss rate if they participate in GAC regularly.

That said, I do have one minor suggestion that I think would improve the enjoyment aspect of the new System on top of the Improvements it has already made towards Fairness of Rewards.

Currently, I haven't noticed any pattern when it comes to grouping people of the same Skill Rating in a GAC Bracket (The groups of 8 players, that get made three times per GAC Season)

If the developers could add an intermediate step before the grouping - To sort all players of the same Skill rating by GP (Galactic Power). What this will achieve is:

- Skilled players with lower GP would more often get matched with other skilled players with lower GP
- Inactive players with higher GP would more often get matched with other Inactive players with higher GP

In general, I believe this tweak should be quite easy to do for the developers. And it will increase the Fun aspect of GAC, without decreasing the Fairness of Rewards aspect. Let me know what you guys think :smile:

Note: As a developer myself, that intermediate step could be made even better, by a more sophisticated algorithm to sort by a summary of GP of the top *NUMBER OF CHARACTERS BASED ON A DIVISION/LEAGUE*. Thus achieving even better grouping for very skilled players that are very careful with their resource management. But... this improvement will have very minimal effect for the playerbase as whole, so I understand if the developers are too busy for this one.

Replies

• It is better. Way better.
  • laxkings40
    164 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    I just got put in a bracket that has three players with over 3 times my gp, keeping the skill rating and adding gp matchmaking as well would work wonders i think.

Edit: Spelling
    Post edited by laxkings40 on
  • Need a mix.

Skill rating but keep all brackets within 10% of GP
  • Ghost666
    327 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    ANY introduction of GP as matchmaking will benefit those that have optimized rosters...i have seen several players with one GL but only 2.X Million GP...and these would dominate any GP based bracket. Bear in mind that non-optimal rosters CANNOT be fixed...you cant sell "garbage" units or downgrade useless stuff...all these add to GP wothout affecting GAC capabilities...
    From what i see, the present system is balanced...you DO SEE players with much more GP, but these are not the usual winners...the winner of each bracket is normally someone with a good enough GP and the best strategy...
    I understand the suggestions, just not so sure the result would be what is desired...players will often take advantage of "loopholes"...
  • As the title would suggest, I am one of the very few people that finds the new GAC System much more fair. I think the new system is brilliant in terms of fairness of Crystal rewards and in general everyone outside of Kyber 1 would get roughly 50/50 Win/Loss rate if they participate in GAC regularly.

That said, I do have one minor suggestion that I think would improve the enjoyment aspect of the new System on top of the Improvements it has already made towards Fairness of Rewards.

Currently, I haven't noticed any pattern when it comes to grouping people of the same Skill Rating in a GAC Bracket (The groups of 8 players, that get made three times per GAC Season)

If the developers could add an intermediate step before the grouping - To sort all players of the same Skill rating by GP (Galactic Power). What this will achieve is:

- Skilled players with lower GP would more often get matched with other skilled players with lower GP
    - Inactive players with higher GP would more often get matched with other Inactive players with higher GP

In general, I believe this tweak should be quite easy to do for the developers. And it will increase the Fun aspect of GAC, without decreasing the Fairness of Rewards aspect. Let me know what you guys think :smile:

Note: As a developer myself, that intermediate step could be made even better, by a more sophisticated algorithm to sort by a summary of GP of the top *NUMBER OF CHARACTERS BASED ON A DIVISION/LEAGUE*. Thus achieving even better grouping for very skilled players that are very careful with their resource management. But... this improvement will have very minimal effect for the playerbase as whole, so I understand if the developers are too busy for this one.

This is really just you saying bring back the old system.
    "If the developers could add an intermediate step before the grouping - To sort all players of the same Skill rating by GP (Galactic Power). "
    ^ tis what the old system did.
    CG wanted to stop encouraging leanness of rosters and promote GP growth.

Your posit contradicts their intentions.
    Sorry, not gonna happen.
    Also why it's not gonna happen: CG has made sweeping changes to GAC like 3 times. Taking us a step back toward the old system is not so overwhelmingly brilliant and massively supported by the community that they are going to read your post and go, "Oh, that sounds good! Sure..."
  • GAC "matchmaking" isn't perfect; never has been; never will be. Though not omniscient, I'm pretty sure that no matter what system was in place, there would be a significant number of people hating it. Overall, I prefer the current system to what we had before.
  • I'd be okay with the GP clumping if it worked differently in each league.

Kyber, no GP check
    Aurodium, 2M diff cap
    Chromium, 1.5M diff cap
    Bronzium, 1M diff cap
    Carbonite, 0.5M diff cap

Not married to the exact values shown. Just examples for context.

Maybe, with a system like this:
    - Newer players wouldn't get matches as lopsided.
    - Low GP accounts shouldn't be able to climb high enough to discourage growth.
    - Avoids the leader board getting clogged with high ranked "JV" players (like the old days).

But, in general, given the competitive aspect of GAC these days, Kyber absolutely should NOT consider GP. Since I've been end game for all of the new GAC, I have no 1st hand experience in the lower leagues.
  • One potential problem with sorting by GP within the same SR is that it makes it more likely for people to run into the same opponents whom they have recently just fought. This is a problem not just for GP, but for any stat that does not change frequently or dramatically.
  • Matchmaking is doing what it was designed to do: distribute crystals.

Top x GP as a second order sort after SR might help alleviate the problem of huge power disparity matchups due to under-performing high GP accounts. Wont solve it completely but might help.
  • This is similar to what I proposed in another thread to add it as sort of an additional filter. I think this might help to avoid extreme mismatches.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • MilHanso
    291 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    laxkings40 wrote: »
    I just got put in a bracket that has three players with over 3 times my gp, keeping the skill rating and adding gp matchmaking as well would work wonders i think.

Edit: Spelling

My bracket has 4 people at Chromium with 6M+ GP with 2 or more GLs that should be playing Aurodium, 3 with 4.5M+ with none, one or two GLs like me and 1 with 3M+ GP with one GL that if all the other play correctly is going to have his **** handed to him on a silver plate.

Last round was even more terrible since 5 players had 7.5M+ GP with 2 or 3 GLs and I won against two because of awful play on their part. If I had their roasters I'd never lose against someone with mine.

With that said I totally agree with OP, GAC now is fairer than it ever was in the past, but to be honest, some rounds aren't funny at all to play, TBH I had more fun with the old system, even though I used to lose more than nowdays, but at least I played more too (those unwinnable matches I'm constantly getting I just do the 10 point attack and then call it a day).
    Post edited by MilHanso on
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • It would do that, but it goes too far, imo, to removing competitive balance. If they only do it for Aurodium and lower, whatever, don't really care.
  • GP is already taken account in the initial seeding. Let's leave it there.
  • Screerider wrote: »
    GP is already taken account in the initial seeding. Let's leave it there.
    The initial seeding is completely irrelevant at this point.
  • If you think about it, using your system simply is using GP; until the player reaches the end of viable grouping.

So you put 8 players with the same GP together. The player that goes 3/0 then goes up and........is put with 7 players with the same GP. And so on and so on. You've put these players into an artificial bubble until they can no longer be matched with players of their GP. However, they're now way higher than players that would naturally beat them with a vastly higher GP. These players are no longer in the same environment.

Also you need to consider the other end of the spectrum. The players that cannot beat players of their own GP, but try every GAC. They'd be grouped with players that aren't playing at all, the ones that fall because of minimal effort. You've basically destroyed their GAC experience of low competent players completely.

It's very very simple (well the biggest problem, not necessarily the solution). Find a way to deal with the sandbaggers and inactive free-fallers. Let the system rest for a bit and then see where we lie.

I really don't see a problem with the matches of 'genuine players with big GP mismatches'. I occasionally see 4m GP players in my bracket and they terrify me with their effieceincy.
  • If you think about it, using your system simply is using GP; until the player reaches the end of viable grouping.

So you put 8 players with the same GP together. The player that goes 3/0 then goes up and........is put with 7 players with the same GP. And so on and so on. You've put these players into an artificial bubble until they can no longer be matched with players of their GP. However, they're now way higher than players that would naturally beat them with a vastly higher GP. These players are no longer in the same environment.

Also you need to consider the other end of the spectrum. The players that cannot beat players of their own GP, but try every GAC. They'd be grouped with players that aren't playing at all, the ones that fall because of minimal effort. You've basically destroyed their GAC experience of low competent players completely.

It's very very simple (well the biggest problem, not necessarily the solution). Find a way to deal with the sandbaggers and inactive free-fallers. Let the system rest for a bit and then see where we lie.

I really don't see a problem with the matches of 'genuine players with big GP mismatches'. I occasionally see 4m GP players in my bracket and they terrify me with their effieceincy.

IDK, the whole posit seems silly. CG won't read it with allure. The entire likely reason they made a webstore is to allow more interactions between website-traffick companies and your Google user data that previously had no justification looking at your in-game data, or ability to.

They made their changes to GAC. They aren't doing it again unless what you suggest brings a tsunami of brilliance
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Screerider wrote: »
    Kinda like GP.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Screerider wrote: »
    Kinda like GP.
    Try telling that to a player who's being matched with opponents who have way more GP than they have.
  • I've been there. I've also been on the other side. It doesn't matter.
    I've been there. I've also been on the other side. It doesn't matter.
    As have I and while GP is not the only factor, it is certainly not irrelevant.
  • To say it doesn't matter at all is about as extreme as those who say it's determinant.

I regularly have to push 2M above my weight. Sometimes, tried and true counters just aren't viable or become risky at such a relic disadvantage. On the flip side for my opponent, some risky counters become easy.
  • Haha... case in point. Just lost my first Rey+Ben mirror. Opponent has 11.9M GP to my 9.6M. The relic advantage he had, coupled with proper modding... I had never even come close to losing before
  • payout is good. however pairing and matching is the Worst! before getting jabba i had 2 GL and id be facing MINI accounts with ALL GL! like what the French , toast!
  • Everyone here will have a very biased view on the idea.

I personally would not welcome such a change as well. But that's because I'm in Kyber 1. And battling someone with more GP than me is very common. And when you endgame, 1-2 mil gp difference is not really a difference to be whining about. You aren't going to face someone who has a team you can't beat.

In lower brackets, I think the discrepancy is more obvious. And I think such a GP group might make sense to improve better paring. But I guess I'm not qualified to make a judgement here.

• Antario wrote: »
    Everyone here will have a very biased view on the idea.

I made 2 posts in this thread. I challenge you to reveal the bias in either.
  • Datacrons matter more than GP does.
  • Haha... case in point. Just lost my first Rey+Ben mirror. Opponent has 11.9M GP to my 9.6M. The relic advantage he had, coupled with proper modding... I had never even come close to losing before

Isn't that a case for GP being (to some extent) irrelevant? You could very well run into someone at 7.9M who chose to put more relics and better mods on their Rey+Ben and beat yours.

Isn't that a case for GP being (to some extent) irrelevant? You could very well run into someone at 7.9M who chose to put more relics and better mods on their Rey+Ben and beat yours.

That seems unlikely. Besides, if I had the GP advantage and a relic disadvantage in that matchup, I must have some pretty strong advantages elsewhere.

Further, a single counter example would not disprove my point that more GP is generally advantageous. In this matchup, I was stretched thin across the board. The Rey loss meant I couldn't play fleet safe, and his GP advantage coupled with my lack of fleet wiggle room from the Rey loss sealed the deal. Again, because generally, people with full r9 pilots, r9 GLs, r8 3xOmi Ben, ult Jabba, good mods, and more DCs than me will also have significantly more GP.

Also, I'm not complaining that I lost. It was a close match. He's probably not trying as hard as me or doesn't know how to be efficient, or doesn't care, whatever. Our combined roster, skill, and effort levels resulted in a very close match.
  • Deathbringer59
    562 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    This I think is a case by case scenario. I've fought people 2m more GP then me and both won and lost those matches. What counts is if my opponent is lazy or not... or if I'm being lazy that day. I'm going to work and college, somedays I fight, others I do my 1 fight and pretty much forget about GAC. GP can matter but it really just means you have more to use on offense, doesn't mean that offense is good or modded properly which would stop your opponent in their tracks. Maybe you're someone who has quote a bit if datacrons and your opponent has none. I've encountered people not using them and cause of that I win even though they're 1-2m higher then me. I hang between Kyber 2-3. I may get pushed to Kyber 3 and not rise back up do to the squish but I'll be fine.

I see alot of my lower GP alliance members fight high GP accounts. We have someone 4m taking on 7-8m but he's winning because it's a very focused roster and he plays the account very good. Modded very good and with datacrons they can put on reasonable being only 4m
  • Well I think we can say 'Having GP will never hurt your chances, where having less might well do so'. Unless you take into account that if you had less GP at the start you wouldn't have that match but an easier one now......