Andor (S1) Discussion [Spoilers allowed]

13Next

Replies

• MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    @Screerider
    now we have a storyline that could just be removed entirely without affecting the main plot or character arc.

Strong disagree.

When Cassian was arrested, he wasn't fighting the Empire. He was a guy who stole stuff from the Empire because he liked making fools of them, and having gotten in trouble and then gotten some money, he was happy to lie low for years.

It was the prison experience that transformed him into someone willing to throw his life away in Luthen's ship for the opportunity to maybe fight the Empire for real.

He's been a rebel his whole life, but Going to prison is what made Cassian a Rebel. d
  • @LordDirt
    Plus why does every scene and character have to matter?

I mean, hey. I hear where you're coming from, but I've done a (very small) bit of professional writing and if your editor is even halfway decent they're going to be yelling at you if you can't immediately answer for the purpose of every single scene and every single character.

They don't have to matter, but if you don't want to get hit upside the head with a rolled up newspaper, they do.

Why pay someone to be in a movie/show if they are meaningless? I agree with you.
  • @LordDirt
    Plus why does every scene and character have to matter?

I mean, hey. I hear where you're coming from, but I've done a (very small) bit of professional writing and if your editor is even halfway decent they're going to be yelling at you if you can't immediately answer for the purpose of every single scene and every single character.

They don't have to matter, but if you don't want to get hit upside the head with a rolled up newspaper, they do.

Understood but long character building in a miniseries is possible. Movies are usually more streamlined.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    I agree with that as well, Lord Dirt.

It's actually why I suck at writing short stories. If you've read me here on these forums (and I know you have) you know I often struggle to cut things short even when that's the better move.

In a novel (or series) you want every scene to matter. In a short story (or movie or one-shot) you want every word to matter, and I just don't have that skill.
  • One thing, among many, that I liked was that not all characters have plot armor. Sure, we know Cassian lives. We know Melshi lives. But for most of the side crew, the writers seemed willing to let many of them die. By the prison break episode, I was nervous, in a good way. I'd grown attached to some of the prisoners, and I cared if they made it. I was on the edge of my seat. Loved it!

The only part I can remember right now as having moved too slow for me were the Cass flashbacks.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    It was building up Cassians character and what he has gone through and why he is helping the rebels.
    I understand the explanation Cassian gave to help the rebels previously was “just for the money”. But when your mother raised you and ends up rallying a city to fight, your girlfriend is contacting rebels, you agree to help rebels steal money, I find it hard to believe that it was this prison experience that suddenly turned him to a rebel sympathizer.

• Full disclosure- I thought the series was fantastic. Cast, script & story were well above par for Disney SW series to date and the way that the rebellion was rooted in the struggles and experience of ‘ordinary’ people was the best thing. You can have as many scheming senators, guerilla fighters and lone wolf (ex Jedi? Ex Sith?) revolutionaries but in the end it’s not until the masses move into action do you have any real revolution. That’s awesome (& why I asked slightly tongue in cheek if the real hero in Andor was his mum). Having said that, I almost didn’t watch it because of the slow & rather pointless Kassa backstory. His sister in this is reduced to a plot device to get him into the corporate zone brothel in order to have the fight that kicks everything into motion. That feels like bad writing to me. Couldn’t he just have been in the brothel for his own reasons & leave it at that?
    Once all that was out of the way the series rocked.
  • Screerider wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    It was building up Cassians character and what he has gone through and why he is helping the rebels.
    I understand the explanation Cassian gave to help the rebels previously was “just for the money”. But when your mother raised you and ends up rallying a city to fight, your girlfriend is contacting rebels, you agree to help rebels steal money, I find it hard to believe that it was this prison experience that suddenly turned him to a rebel sympathizer.

Who was his girlfriend? I missed that part.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
    Screerider wrote: »

Pretty sure it was Biggs (i think that was her name). The one that was tortured by the sound thing.
    Screerider wrote: »

Pretty sure it was Biggs (i think that was her name). The one that was tortured by the sound thing.

I never got that, why would anyone assume that? She was sleeping with the guy that turned in Cassian.

• Her name was Bix, and she and Cassian weren't sleeping together.
    That was the whole point. Bix's boyfriend got jealous of Cassian because Bix and Cassian were up to something on the sly. Boyfriend thought it was cheating, but it was actually sneaking around to sell stolen parts to the rebellion. Then he feels bad and stupid after reporting Cassian when the Corps show up and start killing people b/c he realizes that Cassian isn't his enemy and the Corps are, but it's too late.

The whole thing shows how people who collaborate with an evil regime aren't always on the side of evil. They have their own motives, typically very human ones. In this case it was an insecure man who didn't trust that he was worth his girlfriend's time and love, so he went looking for any evidence that she was involved in something that he didn't know about, and then used that as "proof" in his brain that the thing he didn't know about must be sex.

Human beings can be incredibly self-centred and short-sighted without being fully evil, and that's true no matter what galaxy they live in.

• Thank you for that, I wasn’t quite sure.
  • Her name was Bix, and she and Cassian weren't sleeping together ANYMORE.

She is his ex-girlfriend and that history is the cause of suspicion from her current boyfriend.
  • Screerider wrote: »

Wait then who was the gf brought up here?
  • The woman the entire town rioted as a distraction so he could rescue her. It's the kind of commitment being officially "out" as boyfriend and girlfriend is meaningless. We know.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    StewartH wrote: »
    Her name was Bix, and she and Cassian weren't sleeping together ANYMORE.

She is his ex-girlfriend and that history is the cause of suspicion from her current boyfriend.

When did it say Bix and Cassian were ever together?
  • @StewartH

Well, let's be clear here: his insecurity was the cause of the suspicion. If he knew Cassian was an ex, he wouldn't be suspicious, would he?

He saw that Bix wasn't telling him something, he assumed it was about a sexual relationship. He didn't have any actual evidence of that b/c he couldn't have evidence of that b/c there wasn't such a relationship.

The suspicion came from inside his own brain. That's how jealousy works. You start out insecure. From there you become suspicious, and then you go looking for anything you can reimagine as evidence to justify your suspicions.
    StewartH wrote: »
    Her name was Bix, and she and Cassian weren't sleeping together ANYMORE.

When did it say Bix and Cassian were ever together?
    @StewartH

Well, let's be clear here: his insecurity was the cause of the suspicion. If he knew Cassian was an ex, he wouldn't be suspicious, would he?

He saw that Bix wasn't telling him something, he assumed it was about a sexual relationship. He didn't have any actual evidence of that b/c he couldn't have evidence of that b/c there wasn't such a relationship.

The suspicion came from inside his own brain. That's how jealousy works. You start out insecure. From there you become suspicious, and then you go looking for anything you can reimagine as evidence to justify your suspicions.

Bix: "Its not safe here"
    Cass: "Timm?"
    Bix: "I guess he thought you and I were back together."

That is a second after Cass scales her wall and essentially says; you remember when your dad lost it when he found me sneaking in like this before?
  • I guess I missed that line.
  • @StewartH

Don't know why you're replying to me, but okay. Doesn't invalidate anything I said.
  • Andor was a good show overall. But i just watched Wednesday on Netflix and i liked it better :D
  • That is really the first real “rebel” move he makes. On the side, in Rouge One didn’t cassias say he was in the fight since he was 7?

Well he’s been fighting against the imperials since he was 7, so technically true.

I think I like most how much more aware he is of the current situation than the people around him. On Ferrix; and in the prison. Even than Luthen at the end, since Andor knew exactly what choice he was giving him.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • It would be interesting to see some Andor characters hit the game - there are some great standalone options (I’m guessing Luthien and his ship would be near the top off the list) but what about a rebel cell faction - emphasising covert and insurgent activity? That could be interesting
  • Ok I'm up to date. And yeah Andor was great. Probably the best acting we've seen in Star Wars.

I have to say, I still prefer The Mandalorian. It's more Star Warsy. From our perspective, there's very few larger than life characters in Andor that'd fit our game......I think.

The droid lived...........I really don't think I could take that little guy dying. He reminds me so much of Black Hole Bob, and that scarred me.

The big question though....................Why the hat swap?
  • I think it’s because of Marva’s words to him. Not the speech in the square, the words delivered in the tunnel. And then the speech in the square, now that I think about it more.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Each episode was very special and precious. Show is just too good. Don't know which character I like more =)
  • Devian
    663 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    I'll just leave this her. Beautifully done. Bust most importantly whole manifesto beautifully written, like whole Show.
    https://youtu.be/D9zYeFOrlzg