The death of fun in GAC & TW

Datacron ruining the fun? I tested my feelings to be sure that the popular opinion is legit my own and not something I adopted from hearing it over and over.... So. I created an ALT account and built it up for GAC. Now that its 1st full GAC is over... I confirmed my gut feeling, DATACRONS SUCK the fun out of this game! My 9.5m GP account is so boring to play now.... every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation. My guild just saw 32 LV Datacrons in the first spot alone.... **** !!!! ... On the flip side, my new 1m GP ALT's first GAC was very fun... should I keep growing it? If Datacrons remain the same I probably will not, cause it's a dead end it seems. I HATE these stupid things and wish CG would remove or nerf the crap out of them!

Replies

• Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    Are you sure it is mainly because of DC? I mean I don't like DC as well. And I can understand the new fun you discover with a fresh alt (happy for you). That's why many seasoned players start alts, because you are (again) limited in your options and have to force yourself into investment decisions, which you probably long forgot to be necessary. All of that brings back fun. Absence of DC? Yes, maybe a little as well, but don't think it's decisive.

On to the grand schema: DC was actually a bit of fun when they got introduced because it disrupts the norm. But now, it's part of the routine in top-end GAC. Apart from the short period when a new set is introduced and everyone is running around trying to figure what's the best combo, it does not really contribute to fun that much in the long run as hyped. Rather when the dust settled, they contribute much more to frustration as it limit your play to the same counters (i.e. SLKR vs LV in 3v3). The set4 is now boring as hell because everyone has figured out and is trying to get more and more dodge% (or accuracy%). Set 5 is more interesting because of the stats. But it's just a matter of time when everyone got enough of what they need. Then the fun will stagnate. In this sense, CG made a bad decision prolonging the life-span of a DC set.
  • I_JnK_I
    464 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    My opponents dont even use DCs and for me the fun in GAC is going down and down since they made the new matchmaking system.

Oh, those datacrons....
  • Never thought GA was fun to begin with
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • The fun in gac disappeared when they introduced the new system. Don't get me wrong it's more fair now and actually forces players to upgrade their rosters to stay relevant. However it was far more fun under the system if you knew how to work the matchmaking algorithm in order to get easy matchups. Going 12-0 is far more fun than having a 50% win rate.
  • joelgs23 wrote: »
    Datacron ruining the fun? I tested my feelings to be sure that the popular opinion is legit my own and not something I adopted from hearing it over and over.... So. I created an ALT account and built it up for GAC. Now that its 1st full GAC is over... I confirmed my gut feeling, DATACRONS SUCK the fun out of this game! My 9.5m GP account is so boring to play now.... every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation. My guild just saw 32 LV Datacrons in the first spot alone.... **** !!!! ... On the flip side, my new 1m GP ALT's first GAC was very fun... should I keep growing it? If Datacrons remain the same I probably will not, cause it's a dead end it seems. I HATE these stupid things and wish CG would remove or nerf the crap out of them!

1. what is your alt's gg?
    2. what league/division is your alt in?

my opinion: yes, i believe DCs are unfun, but i have a hard time believing your alt is far enough along to be in a division where DCs make it unfun for it....unless, of course, you spent a lot of money on your experiment.

my main is in Kyber and I and most of my opponents have 2 or 3 DCs that don't even get used most of the time. I believe that if CG had to devote a lot of time to DCs they would've scrapped them as I don't think they are heavily used; but i think it's kind of an "insert new stats and come up with a new name every couple months" kind of a system, they can keep raking in money with little effort.

anyway, all that is my opinion, you can feel free to post your alt's gg and prove my opinions are biased if you like.
  • Personally i think DCs are a good idea. Just think there was bad implementation when giving them to GLs. Should be used to make B or C teams A- or A teams. Not A teams into A++ teams. Hopefully they see how silly the GL DCs are and they don't come back around. Would like to see them for GG, Phoenix, NS, or the like.
  • I would rather see all DCs scraped. They are just a terrible addition to the game.
  • Hawthorne wrote: »
    The fun in gac disappeared when they introduced the new system. Don't get me wrong it's more fair now and actually forces players to upgrade their rosters to stay relevant. However it was far more fun under the system if you knew how to work the matchmaking algorithm in order to get easy matchups. Going 12-0 is far more fun than having a 50% win rate.

Having 50% winrate is not even fair. It completely defeats the purpose of competition.

For example I was Robin Hood-taxed so badly after the previous GAC season that despite winning my first match in this season I was still relegated... (I was 8 pts above the threshold, taxed 56, won some 40ish...) You are not going to convince me this is even remotely "fair".

I dont think datacrons are doing any good for the gamemode either, but that's not my main concern.

Also, touching on the topic of fun: i am getting matchups in 90% when I cannot quite win the duel. If my opponent plays badly, they might lose it, but that's not my doing at all. Without providing hard statistical data, I think i have 1 in every 10 matches which comes down to outwitting each other, and having a real good competition after which a genuine gg can be said. I remember having more of those in the old system.
  • @el_mago
    my opinion: yes, i believe DCs are unfun, but i have a hard time believing your alt is far enough along to be in a division where DCs make it unfun for it....unless, of course, you spent a lot of money on your experiment.

The whole point of the OP is that there are no DataCrons in the alt's GAC run. Neither DCs possessed by the alt nor by the opponents.

Of course you have a hard time believing the alt is far enough along to have DCs make GAC unfun.

The OP is saying that GAC is very fun for the alt (no datacrons), and unfun for the 9.5M account (with datacrons).

I never liked GAC much, so whatevs. But I know that for lots of people Datacrons do ruin the fun, and I have no problem believing the OP ran the experiment and found that GAC is still fun (for them) without DCs even though it's not fun for them on the account with DCs.

I appreciate your work, OP, and hope you continue to have fun in whichever account(s) you end up playing.
  • DC's have taken all the fun out of GAC for me. I barely play it anymore because of DC's. 9 mil account. They really need to go.... the worst thing to happen to this game BY FAR!
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    I don't particularly like DCs but I still play GAC and am doing well enough in low K1. Even enjoy most rounds, other than a few where I lost because of LV dodges. 8.95 mil account.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • @el_mago

The whole point of the OP is that there are no DataCrons in the alt's GAC run. Neither DCs possessed by the alt nor by the opponents.

Of course you have a hard time believing the alt is far enough along to have DCs make GAC unfun.

The OP is saying that GAC is very fun for the alt (no datacrons), and unfun for the 9.5M account (with datacrons).

I never liked GAC much, so whatevs. But I know that for lots of people Datacrons do ruin the fun, and I have no problem believing the OP ran the experiment and found that GAC is still fun (for them) without DCs even though it's not fun for them on the account with DCs.

I appreciate your work, OP, and hope you continue to have fun in whichever account(s) you end up playing.

I see what you mean. I did not read it that way at first pass. I tend to agree with OP, then.

I watch Ahnald's GAC matches and think that level of datacron investment to be ill-suited for my enjoyment level. I like where I am now with very little engagement by myself and my opponents.
  • joelgs23 wrote: »
    My 9.5m GP account is so boring to play now.... every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation.

If this is your problem, without DC it will be worse. At least with DC you have a change of meta every 2 months.

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    joelgs23 wrote: »
    I tested my feelings to be sure that the popular opinion is legit my own and not something I adopted from hearing it over and over

No offense but this came off as incredibly sociopathic lol
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    My 9.5m GP account is so boring to play now.... every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation.

If this is your problem, without DC it will be worse. At least with DC you have a change of meta every 2 months.

Meta was fine before Datacrons and would be better again without them.
  • IronCross wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »

Not when your issue is "every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation."
  • IronCross wrote: »
    I would rather see all DCs scraped. They are just a terrible addition to the game.

But plz give us a few (few hundred) crystals for our “compensation”
  • I agree datacrons should be scraped. No one in my high end guild seems to like them. Personally, I think they just make an already overly-complex game that much worse. There are sooo many toons already, and we have to know all of their abilities and how they work together with other toons and squads, and yet datacrons throw a big wrench into that knowledge set. If there were only a handful of teams in the game I could see DC's as being fun, but not in the current game.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member

lol so you didn't see zones of the same team and same defenses before datacrons?
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    IronCross wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »

Not when your issue is "every single GAC / TW is the exact same with no variation."

From Dec 2020 through May 2021, the K1 meta changed dramatically several times. DCs have also caused the meta to get shaken up every time a new set is released. But that's because we stopped getting transformative ships, characters, and omicrons at the same pace as early 2021.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    I tested my feelings to be sure that the popular opinion is legit my own and not something I adopted from hearing it over and over

No offense but this came off as incredibly sociopathic lol

Sociopathic means having little to no regard for other person's emotions, rights, or experiences, feelings, etc. What I stated, was that I wanted to learn if I arrived at my disliked of Datacrons on my own or by adopting the group think mentality of say, Reddit of YouTube... . Considering, adopting, and embracing other's behaviors and ideas is literally the opposite of a sociopathic event. Sociopaths would fully ignore social or group feelings to pursue their own interests. Sociopaths don't allow outside influence to alter their views. Recognizing outside influence and being brave enough to challenge your own feelings and ideas though, is quite important in growth and development.