How to fix end game content

An open letter to CG

The concept of end game content exists in all sorts of games today. The idea of giving players who have reached a "max level" more content keeps them coming back to the game, which helps drives income for a game like swgoh.

Everyone can agree that end game content should be challenging enough to players to keep them happy until the next set of content is released.

Unfortunately, recent swgoh end game content has disappointed on many levels. Players who don't have 6 to 7 years of play time or aren't in a top guild are completely locked out of new content. The latest tb release is designed to be impossible to complete on release, likely impossible to complete for 2-3 years even for very high end guilds.

Look at most any other game that releases end game content. First, it is typically accessible to some degree to all max level players. Second, it usually has a life span of 6-12 months before new content replaces it. Third, it usually has a mechanism for unprepared players to ramp up and start participating in the content.

I'm saddened by how exclusionary the new content for our game is. Here's what I think needs to happen to fix swgoh end game content.

1. Make it accessible to all max level players and guilds. The first phase of the content should be playable and winnable to all max level. If the content is a raid fight, same thing. And you give a reward for it. That reward should help players prep for the next phase. For example phase 1 might give items that can quickly gear up a toon to r1, phase 2 might give items to get to r2, etc
2. Each phase should offer a reward and progressive difficulty. This helps people progress while still giving a challenge to more powerful guilds as they hit later phases.
3. Release content every 6-12 months, not every 2-3 years. This is a big part of the current problem. Cg is making content so difficult intentionally so it takes years to complete, and then taking years to release new end game content. This is a big enough game with enough revenue to sustain new end game content at least every year.
4. New end game content should coincide with SIGNIFICANT gear crunch reductions of all gear that is less than what the new content provides. Release new relic levels and gear at the same time as content so there is a goal and reward to shoot for, but then make all the old gear and mats easier to get. That could be through old content simming, or higher drop rates, lower cost through shops for higher amounts of old gear.

Properly done, this keeps not just kraken guilds happy, but everyone else as well. It still encourages spending to push to get to the top, and likely even encourages others to spend rather than just beating them down with impossible content. There are so many characters in the game, you could focus the revenue generating on just latest content gear and still have all that income.

These are just my ideas based on experience with other games. I hope that some kind of changes can be made going forward to keep swgoh content accessible to all star wars fans.

Replies