Where is the skill in skill based ranking? [huge GP gap]

RobMc
4 posts Member
edited December 2022
Hi SWGOH Community,

im playing GA for 2 months now and it is the second time i upranked in Carbonite 3 and like the last time i ranked up i get a more than unfair / unbalanced matchup. My Roster is ~ 1,5M GP and i get an oppnent with 7M+ GP.

coo0n1uch8wv.png
dvypa7zkmghk.png
6hz7qslypqx4.png
rjqwgxwbyom6.png
ktlk3pq95m7e.png

I mean yes we got the same Skillrating overall but i have zero chance of winnig or clean one field of my opponent just by the power of my Roster. Its kind of a desperate situation because i like playing GA and beeing competitiv in a Game but when you know you have no Chance to compare against your opponent its just frustrating.

If this is not enough, the other opponents in my 8 Player bracket are like the same or stronger.

ccqd602lovsd.png
rj1kd4bapeoa.png
5s3kjvj69gh4.png
h136td105jeh.png

So i know that i will be last this week in GA and this kills all my motivation to go on or even playing this game mode. Why are there Skillgroups when i match against players that could be easily play in Chromium or Aurodium with a 7M+ Roster.

Have anyone else the same problem like me?

Pleas CG fix your matchmaking system.
Post edited by RobMc on

Replies

• harvestmouse
    890 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    If you did a 'GAC' search in the forums, you'd get as much mileage as you need. It doesn't need a new thread. The main points are these though.

1. Forget the name it's stupid. Basically the points are league points. GAC power ranking or GAC league points are much more accurate over 'skill'.

2. A lot of newer players to GAC complain about GP, but are not aware of the big picture, just how the system is affecting you. Trust me, GP isn't the answer.

3. The chances of you finishing last aren't as high as you think. If there are 7 million GP rosters in your bracket, they're there for a reason. TBH if they're there, it's because of inactivity. You can check their history on SWGOH.GG to see how much they've actually been playing recently.

4. All that said, yes there is a problem here. The system we have works very well if everybody puts in the same amount of effort and does their best in every match up. However, if players simply are freefalling and not playing often, you get these matches with a distinct imbalance.

Your win percentage won't be affected by it much (as a lot of these big guys aren't going to be showing up). However, the spirit of the game and fun aspects definitely are. There's very little fun in winning vs a giant that probably isn't going to play.

Hopefully CG will look into a solution to inactivity and giants falling out of skyland and hopefully soon.
  • Get better I think is the key.
    Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Wait... never mind.
  • Understanding and accepting that this GAC system is about crystal distribution not competition is the key.
  • If you did a 'GAC' search in the forums, you'd get as much mileage as you need. It doesn't need a new thread. The main points are these though.
    Yes i saw this to late...

2. A lot of newer players to GAC complain about GP, but are not aware of the big picture, just how the system is affecting you. Trust me, GP isn't the answer.

I Know that GP is not everything but if there is a diffrence form 5,5M GP it affects the Gameplay a lot!
    The dude i compare set 2 Teams with a Power if ~150k and Relic 8-5. My Strongest Team is ~90k no Relics...
    3. The chances of you finishing last aren't as high as you think. If there are 7 million GP rosters in your bracket, they're there for a reason. TBH if they're there, it's because of inactivity. You can check their history on SWGOH.GG to see how much they've actually been playing recently.

Since yet EVERY opponent attacked! I got copmletly blown away. You can look at my Profile if you want.
    4. All that said, yes there is a problem here. The system we have works very well if everybody puts in the same amount of effort and does their best in every match up. However, if players simply are freefalling and not playing often, you get these matches with a distinct imbalance.

If inactivity is a Problem why CG just dont do something against this. In CS:GO or LoL for example, you just loose your Rank until you Play again. This works with hidden MMR. You dont freefall to Silver or something.
    Your win percentage won't be affected by it much (as a lot of these big guys aren't going to be showing up). However, the spirit of the game and fun aspects definitely are. There's very little fun in winning vs a giant that probably isn't going to play.

Liked i said, every from them attacked...
    Hopefully CG will look into a solution to inactivity and giants falling out of skyland and hopefully soon.

Yes this System needs a bit of love and rework.

• Get better I think is the key.

You mean: "Just pay a tremendous amount of money to compare."
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Understanding and accepting that this GAC system is about crystal distribution not competition is the key.

But if you win you get more Crystals than the daily amount
    61zff3w8km82.jpg
  • RobMc wrote: »

Since yet EVERY opponent attacked! I got copmletly blown away. You can look at my Profile if you want.

Well I don't know your profile name to check. Also, I have zero reason to disbelieve your honesty. Oh wait you left the names on the pictures.............that's a bit of a no no.

I'd say that if you are having extreme GP differences and they are attacking and winning matches, that's a bit unlucky. They have to be in Carbonite 3 due to a lot of inactivity. This run of bad luck won't last. I'll stick by what I said, not as certain as you think you'll finish last.

RobMc wrote: »

If inactivity is a Problem why CG just dont do something against this. In CS:GO or LoL for example, you just loose your Rank until you Play again. This works with hidden MMR. You dont freefall to Silver or something.

Well the top end leagues of LoL do lose LP if they don't play. There's a decay system. However, the big difference between LOL and SWGOH is the reward system. You are rewarded every day on SWGOH for the league/division you're in. Where as in LoL you're only rewarded if you play a game (bar the end of season and milestone stuff).

In SWGOH you can essentially play GAC and be totally inactive. That's not possible with LoL or CS/GO. So we can't draw a comparison there.
    Liked i said, every from them attacked...

Well it's still the case. The system will give you a good win percentage early on, until you find your win/loss balance area. Then it'll maintain you around/near 50% win rate whatever.

The issue isn't how much you're going to win in the future. That's fairly set, it'll be a little over 50%. However, as I said the 'Spirit of the Game' is being affected by this issue.

How to solve it fairly though? That really doesn't seem simple at all. As you've pointed out sometimes these freefalling giants do play. It's not a blanket case of activity vs inactivity. It's also not a blanket case of trying vs not trying. Each player's busyness and motivation isn't a constant.

• TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Understanding and accepting that this GAC system is about crystal distribution not competition is the key.

But if you win you get more Crystals than the daily amount
    61zff3w8km82.jpg

You can't just win forever in this system, as designed.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH