Galactic war difficulty

This play mode just makes no sense. Up to say lvl 60 I was able to finish the thing no problem. Now it's become impossible. And after this latest reset I did I can't even get past the very first battle. Yes that's right, the very first one.
Can someone explain how the difficulty system works for this? It's just extremely frustrating and mind-boggling that the stronger I get the less progress I make.
thanks

Replies

• crzydroid
    7286 posts Moderator
    It's based on the power of your top 5 characters. So as you build more squads and more importantly, get better squads, it will become easy again. If you put too much gear onto one mediocre squad too quickly, you can drive up the difficulty.

The power of the enemy squads is also capped as well, so once you get much past level 85 it will seem really simple. But at that point, most people just sim it anyway.
  • denji wrote: »
    This play mode just makes no sense. Up to say lvl 60 I was able to finish the thing no problem. Now it's become impossible. And after this latest reset I did I can't even get past the very first battle. Yes that's right, the very first one.
    Can someone explain how the difficulty system works for this? It's just extremely frustrating and mind-boggling that the stronger I get the less progress I make.
    thanks

Better get used to that (the stronger you get, the less you progrees) or leave the game now lol
  • You need 3 or 4 different teams, each with its own very separate play styles to get through. The different teams should be roughly the same gear tiers, though probably you'll have one slightly ahead of the others, then the others all more or less tied.

One of the very best squads for GW is Jedi under the leadership of Bastila Shan since she grants a huge amount of bonus protection at the beginning of a fight, and no matter how many times the enemy burns through it, it starts at maximum again (though if you lost health or regular protection, that does not return to maximum. Fortunately, though, Jedi have a lot of healers to help get your health back up).

But some enemies are just very good at killing Jedi, and others ignore protection (Dooku being the one you'll probably see most often.) So you need to have different teams to exploit enemy weaknesses and to prevent them from exploiting your own.

It's a good idea to keep most of your toons levelled to less than the maximum. They usually should trail your character level by 3-4 for the top 2 or 3 characters on a squad and by 3-6 for the remaining characters in a squad. (Outside of the 3 or 4 most useful teams you have for GW, other toons should be levelled even less.)

Also your mods make a huge difference here because they add only a small amount to the character power calculation, but they can add a huge amount to your fighting ability. Work on those mods!

Finally, once you have your 3-4 decent squads, make sure that you give each of them a chance to fight one of the first 4 fights so that they can pre-load turn meter for the next time you use them. Make sure you pick a fight with an enemy that they're well suited to defeating, and if you lose a character or even just get a character too damaged, back out and try again (possibly changing teams, if you think you need to).

From levels 65-82 GW is at its worst, but it does get better eventually.
  • I used to detest doing GW. There is a point though where you'll break the back of it. I think that it's probably easier to do now compared to in the old days (with all the great teams available today). One thing I did notice when going back and doing it a year or so ago for BH missions; is that GBA was added. If you come across him, he'll really complicate things.
  • The trick to getting to the "end" of GW is to build a dark side team and a light side team to the same power level then have "Bench Characters" which are essentially characters of the same faction that you can replace out other characters when they die. For example, if you have a Jedi team and Mace Windu dies you can replace him with Juhani and then you can continue
    Sometimes a door is just a door
  • stodie777
    2 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Well after reading that link I can tell you that it doesn't work. Since I came back I haven't touched my top team, which is a basic nightsister team, meanwhile I've gotten a rebel & empire team and they are all level 60, same gear level as my nightsisters, or worse. Meanwhile GW has just gotten harder and harder even though I haven't improved my nightsister squad at all. Just now, I got annihilated by a Bad Batch squad that was levels 73-75 and they annihilated my nightsister squad and I only got around 4 or 5 turns and didn't even make a dent in them, and this is only the 6th node. They could buff tenacity and cleanse faster than I could dispel it, and one attack was pretty much either killing or nearly killing a nightsister.
  • MasterSeedy
    5035 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    @stodie777
    Can you post your ally code and/or swgoh.gg profile link?

I'm sure folks here can help.

Also, in the future it's better to make a new thread than to revive one that's been inactive for a year. There's no real harm in reviving a dead thread, but it's still preferred that a thread that's been untouched for a while be left alone.
  • The geos or Phoenix/rex are both really good and defeat most things in gw and last really long, main weakness is jawas and iden