Advice For New F2P Player

I just started the game last week and was wondering what's the fastest way to get to Darth Nihilus. The game says his shards are located in 9-A Hard on darkside but I'm level 42 so I'm stuck on stage 4, I also noticed he had some shards in the shipment but I'm broke and have less than half the required amount to purchase his shards. Is it worth it to bank on the RNG of the single packs and keep pulling there or is the grind more efficient and if so what and how should I grind?

Replies

• Lumiya
    1431 posts Member
    The only way to get to his node f2p is to grind through.
    My advise is to not buy character shards or gear for crystals. Use your crystals for energy refreshes, it's more efficient.
    I assume you like the character and that's why you would like to have him. While his character can be good in some teams, I think it is important to get yourself familiar with all the other toons and squads in the game and which ones of these are better. With good squads you can progress faster. There are different routes you can take as a beginner and because this is a long term game it is good to have a plan so you know what characters you will be working on and use your roster as efficiently as possible.
    There are lots of guides out there to help you. Because let's face it: in the beginning it is all very confusing. 😉
    I am not up to date which guide is the best now to follow but I am sure some member here can recommend you some.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • I've been true f2p so far and have gotten to lvl 84.

Here are a few tips:
    save daily crystals to refresh energy when farming annoying to farm characters (only one battle characters)

buy one of these characters from the squad arena store to get a jump on fleet battles: grand Moff, Ackbar, Windu(genrally considered bad by most players tho)

don't use the basic team

use energy resets: around lunch and dinner (not sure on exact times)

get good allies from the ally request thread (you still will need to gear and star your characters, but they can clear a few phases early game)

get journey guide characters
    Sometimes a door is just a door
  • Just buy the HYPERDRIVE BUNDLE (HDB).
    After you buy it, you can resume your F2P life (you dont buy anything else, forever).

I can assure you that it is very useful.
    You can right away farming in most events and daily challenges.
    You can immediately join a GAC (Grand Arena) and get 55 crystal daily.
    You can right away climb the fleet rank.
    And so on and so forth...

One thing about the HDB is that the more you delay the purchase, the less valueable it is.

Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member
    Just buy the HYPERDRIVE BUNDLE (HDB).
    After you buy it, you can resume your F2P life (you dont buy anything else, forever).

One thing about the HDB is that the more you delay the purchase, the less valueable it is.

While the HDB has the best value -if- someone wants to spend money, recommending someone who is f2p to spend 50$ when they just have started the game and are asking for f2p advise is not the best advise imho. 😉
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • I started the game around early June last year. I hit max rank this morning.

Some simple advice I could give is to try to complete all Daily Activities + claim your Daily Calendar stuff for momentum. Avoid spending Crystals on characters in Shipments unless you absolutely need to unlock them, or they are really difficult characters to get (example: ships that can only be farmed from Hard Nodes such as Rebel Y-Wing, Jyn Erso, and characters that could give good early-game boosts in some Journey Guides but have unlock area that are difficult to obtain). Best place to spend Crystals would be for packs (always buy in bulk) and Bonus Energy.

For the best early-game boost, you can try to invest in a Phoenix Squad, though the best setup (Hera, Kanan, Chopper, Ezra, Zeb) might not be achievable until Level 40. Phoenix Squad is generally difficult to deal with in the early game, as I doubt lower leveled players would have access to characters who could shut it down easily (Darth Traya, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Count Dooku with maxed out basic, characters who can spam buff and healing immunity en masse, etc), in addition to being useful for Emperor's Demise and Artist of War Journey Guide events.

When you unlock Squad Arena, try to invest in Windu, Tarkin, and Ackbar for slight boost in Fleet Battles. Since Cantina Battles doesn't have a battle limit, you can try using Sim tickets ("use them sparingly, for they are rare") on the node that provides Unmasked Kylo Ren Shards, as it also provides Tie Silencer Blueprints, which can stack up offense when attacked or if it hits a target locked enemy, which can work well for the three starter Fleet Commanders: Windu can cause target locks and force enemy units to attack Tie Silencer; Tarkin's reinforcement bonus gives retribution, meaning that Tie Silencer can get double boosts if counterattacking a target locked enemy; Ackbar can heal and grant bonus attacks. (Added bonus: it can be unlocked at one star.)

Hope this all helps, and good luck on your journey!
    Hello there.
  • Lumiya wrote: »
    Just buy the HYPERDRIVE BUNDLE (HDB).

While the HDB has the best value -if- someone wants to spend money, recommending someone who is f2p to spend 50$ when they just have started the game and are asking for f2p advise is not the best advise imho. 😉
    Agreed. The poster you replied to seems to have a thin grasp on the definition of f2p.
  • I just achieved level 40 as a f2p ACC in about 5 days.

The way that I did was to not level up all of my characters at once because now most of them are useless and to try and equal out light side and dark side characters. I also did the daily challenge every day, which helped me get multiple levels and get the calendar. I also went onto galaxy of heroes online website store and there is a box wich you can claim every day for free which gives you more than enough loot. I also made sure to invest into the Pheonix squad which has helped a ton in arena battles I went from barely being 5,000 to now averaging around 1.5. The phoenix squad also helps you get emperor Palpatine and grand admiral Thrawn to help your dark side later on.

Hope this helps
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    I’ve been F2P since march of 2021. here’s my advice:

Mods- Be smart and try out swgoh.gg if you want advice on good mods for characters.

Characters- Remember all of those characters that they gave you in the beginning. I hope not because you need to leave them right now. maybe take them to g10 at max

Journey Guide- Here’s my advice on this. select one from each stage (all players, 0.5m, 1m, 1.5m, 2m) Do all of those. It will construct usable squads for the future. Then, start thinking about GLs. Slkr, rey, and SEE are easier for beginners. SEE is good if you don’t like ships (like me)

Guild- Get into a good guild. Don’t be the best person in your guild. Be the worst. That doesn’t change how good you are, but it will accelerate your progress greatly.

Hyperdrive Bundle- HECK NAW

Good luck! :)

Edit:

Allies- get good allies. my ally codes are : 328-652-123 and 557-742-725
    Post edited by yolkywareagle on
  • You can immediately join a GAC (Grand Arena) and get 55 crystal daily.

pre lvl 85 you get the 70 crystals for completing all the dailies
    at lvl 85 those crystals 55 crystals are given automatically but you still get 12 crystals and 3 random purple gears for completing all the dailies

so, in total you get 3 extra crystals in exchange for 3 random purple gears. This would seem bad but early on you are mostly grabbing shards for characters and not purple gear anyways.
    (Ignoring minor crystals gained from the dailies themselves)

not to say HDB is bad as it gives you several initial characters, some shards, and credits, but it ruins the appeal of free to play and by buying HDB you commit to this game fully. Playing F2P gives you the feeling (early on at least) that if you feel like it you can just walk away.
    Sometimes a door is just a door
  • If any of you fellow f2p players need any help with anything, first, here's my ally code and then here's my discord.

Ally Code: 584457155
    Discord: Ultradude488#5305
    Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Wait... never mind.