Rise of the Empire Feedback Thread

Prev13
CG_Tusken_Meathead
333 posts EA Community Manager
Hey folks,

I hope you're all doing well and had a good holiday! (Whens the next one?)

If you're willing and able, I would love and appreciate your feedback on Rise of the Empire TB

Pros
Cons
Suggestions

(PS: I Love formatting)

Replies

• Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Next holiday is MLK day

So coming Monday
  • Pro’s : combat missions are reasonably tough, but doable. 2 waves v. 4 to 6 is great. Like the platoon v. Combat point weighting. Also like 24 hrs v 36 hr rounds.

Cons: ship missions don’t seemed tuned as well as combat missions. Some are easy, some impossible.

Full relic 8/9 teams are years (5+) away unless something is done about relic requirements.

Suggestions: good first effort. Work on the tuning a bit and don’t consider this version “finished”.
  • The_Dude
    84 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for asking. Here is some feedback (in no order of importance):

1). Overall sentiment from my guild is positive. Rewards in the 15-20 star range don’t seem bad.
    2). Time commitment seems reasonable given that combat missions award very little TB points so if someone misses one, no big deal. Deploying and platooning only take mere seconds to do.
    3). But on that same topic, giving so much weight to platoons doesn’t sit well with folks because they essentially get loads of TB points for literally not using their toons that they invested in.
    4). Graphics appear small on my iPad. Cannot imagine how folks navigate on phone screens.
    5). Not enough options to spend the new currency on.
    6). This is a little thing, but I LOVE how combat missions you’ve already completed are grayed out. Makes it much easier to know where you need to focus.
    7). I forget which ship combat mission it is (maybe DS 1 or neutral 1), but there is one that is literally unwinnable with current ships. Suggest relooking at that one.
    8). My guild went into this with the expectation that eventually r9 will be easier to obtain in decent volume. If that turns out to be a false expectation, I think sentiment will become more negative over time.

That’s my initial feedback. Again, thank you for soliciting our feedback.
  • The weighting between combat missions and operations is too heavily skewed. It makes the combat missions almost pointless, taking a large part of the gameplay aspect away.
    The geo mission for phase 2 dark side is relic 7 required, in a relic 6 phase. Maybe intentional but nobody knows for sure.
    Other than that I’m reasonably happy with it, the later stages are inaccessible for most so I can’t feed back about them.
    797-722-718
  • What is with those Nightsisters in the dark side battles….some serious damage dealers. Also, battles need to be worth way more points.
  • Darthveer
    8 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Pros: the new format works well I get to use all of my toons which is awesome!! It’s fun to use mixed squads.

I don’t mind platoons being gated it’s only a few characters per person not that bad at all.

Cons: the progression for r8 and r9 is non existent. 1 computer thing as a reward for 33 stars is gaslighting level compensation. For example the new Jabba event for slicing mats is amazing! I can roll a mod everytime it’s great!! I can calibrate everytime it’s great!

Gating the use of toons in combat missions.

Suggestions: up the r8 and r9 mats 5-10 computers and detectors each per run. We should be able to level a toon a month from achieving more than half the total stars from r7 to r9

Allow is to use our whole roster in combat missions. They are not worth as many points as platoons (keep those gated as they are) but this allows us to engage with the game more and spend more time in game and costs you nothing.

Thanks for your time!!

Darthveer
    5.5 year player
  • StickSurfer
    297 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Nowhere near being able to play RotE, but I think being able to view enemy kits in details like the previous Territory Battles would be a good idea. That way, players will be able to take advantage of even more knowledge and know what to expect about the levels without having to enter the battle first and then reading the kits.
    Hello there.
  • I do like that the combat missions themselves are not all that difficult once you hit the required relic levels, but I do think the territory points upon successfully completing waves should be increased.

e.g. zone 1 cms providing 200k territory points
  • nomad1988
    92 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Pros: knowing enemy units in CMs allows us to plan teams for specific missions. Gives a feeling of progression beating one you weren’t able to last time.
    Ground missions feel like they’re tuned to about the right difficulty.
    The UI in general does feel like it’s given an upgrade to the whole TB experience.
    The addition of a mixed route also very positive, as it allows teams like bounty hunters and the Old Republic team to shine in TB.

Cons: fleet missions, particularly those for DS are unachievably difficult with currently available units. They need to be returned to make them challenging but still possible.

Suggestion: consider lowering the relic levels for units in CMs. Having them there for operations, while disheartening, is mildly acceptable as individuals in guilds can work on taking a few individual toons to higher levels as a group, but expecting to them also have full r5+ teams for all phases is unrealistic. You could consider lowering the relic requirement by two levels for each phase, with r3 as the minimum in line with many GL requirements, to allow for players to use more of their rosters. If the enemy units stay at their current tuning they are unlikely to be achievable unless the team relic average is above what is currently required anyway.
    Post edited by nomad1988 on
  • Pros: Overall this is a highly positive addition to the game. With operations being heavily scored it means you do feel rewarded for having to relic up that, shall we say, less than optimal character that isn't so much riding the bench but has been stuffed in the back of the locker. Also the little things like greying out completed missions makes it overall a much slicker operation that the previous TBs.
    Cons:
    • Whilst missions may have been reduced to 2 waves by adding characters that need killing multiple times this hasn't saved any time at all. And with the addition of multiple missions the time requirement has actually increased.
    • Scythe... So the community has waited until the 3rd run through to finally play the Scythe fleet mission in P1. For which you needed to both grind 3 months of Conquest and also complete the GI legendary event... And the result is Scythe gets pretty much obliterated without you even taking a turn. This does not feel like it is rewarding my investment but more like shouting "Sucker!!". This is particularly true as it is P1 and not a higher phase.
    Suggestions:
    • Inquisitors being required in Tatooine whilst also being required for the Third Sister/Reva mission should be reviewed.
    • The tuning of DS missions compared to Mixed/LS seems to be skewed for some reason. Or at least thats the impression it gives. If this can be investigated to see if its working as intended.
    Thank you for asking for feedback and I hope this helps.
  • I am fine with the difficulty of the current Squad missions, and I **like** that there are missions I cannot yet attempt as I wait for my chances to go back and boost older toons like Qi'ra and Kit.

I agree that the fleet missions don't seem as well tuned. To have 2xr7 pilots in the brand new and required Scythe and then see that ship destroyed before my side gets a turn is ... discouraging, to say the least. And the Scythe mission isn't the only one that seems poorly tuned.

There are some interesting aspects to the UI that I like, including the greying out of completed CMs. But, and this might be controversial and/or actively opposed by some people, I would love to see an ability for the officers to put a note on each mission that is visible on the planetary overview. It needn't be more than a few characters, but just as a hypothetical, if I were doing LS missions and didn't see Rey needed on a specific mission, I might throw her in on one mission where I didn't have the recommended squad. Then I go to Neutral and find out later that Rey is strongly recommended for the Qi'ra mission, but I've already used her. Allowing a short note (12 characters would be a good limit, or possibly even less. It would depend on how cluttered it made the UI what the optimal limit on characters would be) during the planetary overview would, I think, be very helpful for players.

I disagree that r8 and r9 materials should be made more plentiful in the short term or even the medium term (depending on how you define medium). Instead I'd like to see credits, zimbiddles, and the first two relic mats (Bronzium Wiring and the CCBs) be increased first. Let most of us work towards more 5xr7 squads while 5xr8 and 5xr9 are still the province of whales. Then r8 and r9 mats can be increased sometime in the future, 12-18 months from now, when guilds are maxing out p1-p3 and are getting antsy to do better in p4-6. Increasing BWs and CCBs won't increase access to r8 & r9 since those materials aren't used in the r8/9 recipes. The zimbiddles will help r8/r9 someday, but as long as the actual r8 & r9 mats are still controlled, they won't make too much difference there.

The increase in credits that I propose is because of your stated goal to make content that demands the most of our mods. It wouldn't take much work to find a spot to increase credit rewards that doesn't improperly ease the crunch for early players, where credits are designed to limit progress. In the end game the main use for credits is simply purchasing & levelling mods. Increasing credits by 5M / week (20M/month) only increases the number of mods purchased from the store by 1.5/week, but it would completely wreck the credit gate for newer players. So I understand that this has to be done thoughtfully, but again, it doesn't have to be that difficult. Some possibilities:

Increase credits in the Conquest/Hard Red Crate by +2M with no increase at all to lower crates.
    Increase credits for Challenge Pit Raid +800k (50th place) to +1.2M (1st place)
    Create new TW reward categories for guilds at 400M+ with +800k/loss and +1.5M/win

With those you get about +10-15M/month and none of that will substantially effect lower GP players. At worst someone with at least 4Mgp will be getting Red Crate in Conquest/Hard before you intend them to do so, and they'll only be getting an extra +2M a month. A low-gp player might get into a stronger guild and pick up +3-5M/month from CPit as well, but that's not that concerning to me either. While there's still a ton that they should be doing with credits (since they will still have many toons below level 85), they're still going to be able to bring in the credits to level toons at least as fast as the gear to bring them to g12, so that extra +2M/month isn't going to significantly change the game experience for them in the way that it would for a player with sub 1.5M gp. The CPit credits are more of a concern, but maybe you could make the benefits more skewed? Like +100k to 50th place, +800k to 30th place, +1.5M to 1st place? Then if you're in such a guild but can't pull your weight, the bonus credits are minimized. But even if a player with a young/small account did get everything I was proposing, that would still only mean taking one more character/month from level 1 to level 85. Since this wouldn't be too many players, and since they have to have at least 1 toon at r5 to sign up for CPit rewards, this seems like a reasonable risk to me, even at the 800k for 50th place plan.

That's not a full plan. I still think that credits should be bumped up by about 20 or 25M/month b/c of the role that you, CG, imagine Mods to play in the new TB, but that's something that could be implemented with no effect on early game economy, while future increases in credits could be rolled out later after more thought.

After all this, I'd like to say that my biggest problem with the new TB is probably how I wan't more info in more readable locations. Even though the planetary modifier is findable in the Mission screens, why not have an icon in the top left of the planetary overview screen that you could click and it gives the planetary modifier right there? Otherwise the current setup invites you to click on icon after icon wondering which one gives you the planetary modifier details until you stumble on the right one.

I mean, sure, I will (as a regular player) train myself to recognize the Planetary modifier icons are always in a certain place, etc., but why not make it easy on folks?

Likewise I'd like to see a bottom-left icon that allows for longer notes to be left by TB officers. Above I suggested a few characters per mission be visible on the planetary overview screen, but a Guild Orders icon on the left where TB officers can write out more about the planetary (and even whole-phase) strategy would be welcome. I think there's plenty of room on the planetary overview screen for both these icons.

Other than Fleet mission difficulty, the playing is fine. It's making it easy to communicate and understand, as well as small changes to the r7 economy and larger changes to the credit economy that I think are most needed.

Thanks again for putting together a promising new game mode. I do like it so far, even if I also have some criticisms.

• Initial impressions of the map, were it was very busy and colourful but I like the layout and being able to see the stars in the current zones.

Pros: I think the first 3 phases are tuned well, fleet are hit or miss but so was geo fleet. The static enemies are nice and make it easy to plan around.
    Graying out the completed missions is nice.

Cons: We can't block individual platoons. We should also be able to look at upcoming platoons in the upcoming zone to make it easier.
    We still don't have a review period..
    Rewards probably could be increased, even at 20 stars they're not really stellar but not terrible. We got enough to buy toon shards once. Now to wait a month, (we alternate with LS Geo) for more GET3.
  • We did our first run two weeks ago and enjoyed it. Two pieces of feedback:

Rise rewards high GP and being able to fill operations while combats are much less important. This is a reverse of previous TBs and (for good or bad) makes LS Geo obsolete. At 255M GP, my guild got 18 stars in Rise which is about what we could get in LS Geo (our last run there was 17 stars at 20M less GP before taking a Hoth break during December). At the same stars, Rise gives better GET1, comparable GET2, way better GET3 and gear, and about 200 more crystals and the only real cost is KAM shards. With KAM being purchasable with GET3 and not required for any journey guide characters, it's a no-brainer for any guild to do Rise over LS Geo.

Coruscant combats seem almost designed to negate Finn and ROLO's omicrons due to how much daze the enemies put out (Kyle's is probably fine on a Jedi team but Mothma can auto the fight without him thanks to her dispels). Given that Omis would let you full clear LS Geo combats at G12, it's not great that they're basically useless at R5 in Rise. I've heard they work better in later planets but it's still an unfortunate nerf to such an expensive upgrade.

Overall, love the new layout and all the gimmicks (although they could be pretty overwhelming at first).
  • With operations being heavily scored it means you do feel rewarded for having to relic up that, shall we say, less than optimal character that isn't so much riding the bench but has been stuffed in the back of the locker.

Oh, yes! I'd meant to mention Operations.

I am very happy that Operations are so valuable, point-wise given the fact that GLs can be required for Operations and that there's such a high level of investment needed to bring otherwise worthless characters to the point where they can satisfy Operations requirements.

If Operations didn't count for so much, it would be more of a negative to platoon your GL or relic your Robot. I do hear people complain about the value of combat missions, but I think that if you want the CMs to get you all the points then it's a much harder ask to relic bad toons and give up GLs.

THAT SAID...

This is a game mode that has pathway options built in. I think there's room for one planet in each sector (LS/DS/N) to give ZERO points for Operations and give massively increased points for CM victories. I think that would be a fun future concession to the people who want CMs to count for more. (Operations would still exist for those planets, and would still have effects on game play when completed as they do in other planetary zones, they just wouldn't provide Territory Points.)
  • Pros:
    - No more GeoTB which has gotten repetitive over the years
    - Mostly fun new guild event that brings guilds together and allows for some strategising.

Cons:
    - Poor mission design. Not much variety between teams and illogical choices such as bringing back the Reek.
    - Poor design e.g. on Coruscant where the Clone Troopers should have been reskind for better appearance
    - Imbalanced mission difficulty. E.g. Scythe fleet mission in phase 1 is much harder than advanced fleet missions.
    - Relic requirements for the later stages and for platoons are silly because the relic crunch has gotten worse with the latest gear economy update. It is now harder to get a toon from G13 to high relics with more relic bottlenecks.
    - The rewards don't feel worth it. E.g. 29 stars gets you ONE R8 Impulse Detectors. That's ridiculously little. R9 unlocks even later and also at very low quantities.

Suggestions:
    - Add more variety to the missions
    - More GET III missions with easier accessible toons
    - Make it easier to relic toons
    - Better rewards that make up for the time invested
  • I don’t like that operations affect the territory they’re in, especially with this kind of difficult requirements where only a few players in the guild have the required character. It puts a lot of pressure to players to log in shortly after the beginning of the phase in order to fill the operations because if they don’t, 49 other players will not enjoy the bonuses for their combat missions and have less fun.
  • If you wanna know the pros and cons look in my thread with 15k views and 500 comments on it lol. Seriously though I think overall is very good
    Pros: Good rewards overall (a bit stingy on GET 3 though)
    For there most part if you have the relic reqs you should be able to beat the missions as long as you have good mods
    Makes tb fresh which is great

Cons: the relic gate was annoying and still is but I’m getting over it. Wish r8 and r9 were easier though
    Having to have the platooned units reliced is a HIGE HUGE HUGE negative. If I was to change anything I would change that.
    Otherwise pretty well balanced (shockingly) nice job Cg!
  • I would love a section where there is only one mission but you will need to spend multiple teams to beat it, a solo player raid essentially. Or even 3 missions where you need to complete the first in order to unlock the next one telling part of a story. Young han storm Troopers then vs vendor chewie, finally the two vs snow/range Troopers for an example. (emphasis mine)

This idea from GRANDOLA is genius, and if I could upvote it a thousand times I would.
    Another tough one to implement probably, officers may appreciate being able to set a line on the gp tracker for the max to go in that section and it will prompt that user is disobeying orders similar to a closed section now. So an officer could set it to 85 mil gp max this round etc.

Also a very good idea. As I said in my first comment, the play is pretty good, but guild management of all this is pretty complex and the more ways we can make it easier for guild leaders to communicate and for players to understand what they need to be successful, the better the TB will be. We already have kits of insane complexity and planetary modifiers and faction modifiers and changing Operations effects of 3 different levels. I am not saying we can't have these complex things, but it does put an extra burden on players who only have 24 hours to get this done so communication-at-a-glance becomes a much bigger priority than it has been in other game modes in the past.

SEPARATELY...

If forgot to mention that there's an annoying bug in p2/LS where there appears to be 2 (or more?) probe droids summoned to the same slot in phase 2. (It might be only the 9th Sister battle, I don't remember for sure, but it's in p2/LS for sure.) This is especially bad since the probe droid pops up with Taunt, but you can't dispel it because of the weird targeting thing with multiple units in one slot.

That's horrible. I don't know what's causing it, but please make it stop.
  • Pros: Overall this is a highly positive addition to the game. With operations being heavily scored it means you do feel rewarded for having to relic up that, shall we say, less than optimal character that isn't so much riding the bench but has been stuffed in the back of the locker. Also the little things like greying out completed missions makes it overall a much slicker operation that the previous TBs.
    Cons:
    • Whilst missions may have been reduced to 2 waves by adding characters that need killing multiple times this hasn't saved any time at all. And with the addition of multiple missions the time requirement has actually increased.
    • Scythe... So the community has waited until the 3rd run through to finally play the Scythe fleet mission in P1. For which you needed to both grind 3 months of Conquest and also complete the GI legendary event... And the result is Scythe gets pretty much obliterated without you even taking a turn. This does not feel like it is rewarding my investment but more like shouting "Sucker!!". This is particularly true as it is P1 and not a higher phase.
    Suggestions:
    • Inquisitors being required in Tatooine whilst also being required for the Third Sister/Reva mission should be reviewed.
    • The tuning of DS missions compared to Mixed/LS seems to be skewed for some reason. Or at least thats the impression it gives. If this can be investigated to see if its working as intended.
    Thank you for asking for feedback and I hope this helps.

Yes lots of my guild has noticed the tuning for ds is INSANE compared to the others. Especially the nightsister ****. My SEE who has really good health and prot gets 3 shotted if I’m lucky
  • Pros: The artwork is fantastic. As always the art department knocked it out of the park. The 24 hr timeframe is good so far. The predictability of the enemies faced is nice too as it’s not RNG on who we face and can try and plan and theory craft.

Cons: The tuning for missions is absurd. I waited months to try the scythe mission only to get it obliterated before I get a turn? Sun fac can one shot my tie bomber? You guys didn’t account for the crewless ships and overdid the damage, especially the dark side path. The lack of details on the event itself such as enemies and their abilities is poor at best. You guys couldn’t add in battle or even event detail descriptions for you new units, even the old ones? Also, why are mk4 carbs and similar gear in these prize boxes. My god take them out already for end game content like this. Enough already.

Suggestions: Add in character and ability descriptions both in battle and the main TB detail page. Account for crewless ships. Put the same effort into the game mode itself like the art department did. It has the bones to be a nice PVE addition to the game but you guys have some work cut out for yourselves and I just don’t see that happening with new stuff to roll out.
  • Add in character and ability descriptions both in battle and the main TB detail page.

Def. This. The more info we can get the better.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Also, why are mk4 carbs and similar gear in these prize boxes. My god take them out already for end game content like this. Enough already.

Why are they still in ANY prize boxes?
    Pros: I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, nice art, nice length of time per phase.
    Cons: I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, mission difficulty is all over the place. My dark side ships get blown out of the water, er space, in short order.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Pros: it’s new content that through p4 seems mostly tuned correctly.

Cons: hard reqs combined with limited get3 options give this tb limited longevity. We will still do it of course but I feel many guilds will just decide to stop concentrating on progression past maxing p4. There is just not enough carrots in stars 37+ to overcome the stick of r9 reqs

Suggestions: drop p5/6 cm hard reqs to r8 keep operations and any special missions at 9. Add something to the get3 store that is more exciting but just as useful as kyros. Problem is I can’t think of anything that makes sense. Zeta mats wouldn’t be exciting enough. Omicrons would be too unbalancing.

Overall, this will keep me engaged for 8 months to a year. If that was the plan awesome job. If this was supposed to drive my gearing decisions longer than that well not as awesome.
  • Pro: lots of missions, lesser waves, possibility to try really different kind of teams, Omicron usage, music, artwork

Cons: lots of missions but enemies are too hard especially imperials, takes up lots of time to do, from just phase 2 even R8 and R9 teams are starting to be worthless which takes away months of hard work, modding and gearing, completely destroying the enjoyment factor (in P2 I only got the Reek mission with SEE/tanks and mid with SK basically soloing wave 2, my R8 and R9 JML/JMK teams were destroyed...). Ships? Simply impossible with enemy damage, you can't even strategize.

Overall, the structure is good, I like that we have LS, mixed and DS pathways, but even strong rosters have a hard time doing this and usually you feel that you wasted time rather than feeling satisfaction that your roster was worth empowering. Prime example of a good idea but horrible execution, as CG usually does.
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    333 posts EA Community Manager
    Would appreciate you folks answering these 2 questions!

https://forms.gle/MhupUuud47D9ZzyN6
  • Goldane
    76 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    This is basically a "Do you like me" note passed in class. You're not getting any real feedback from the player base like this. My response is to not respond by answering the survey.

Ask me how the 50 players in my guild feel about the last several months of releases. That would be more impactful.
  • Would appreciate you folks answering these 2 questions!

https://forms.gle/MhupUuud47D9ZzyN6

What impact do you think this silly questionnaire will you get? The initial question in this thread was more meaningful than this questionnaire. Hope you take something out of the feedback posted in this thread to make ROTE better.
  • wasd
    1 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    Pros
    this tb is a step up in terms of ui/ux. the battles going from 4 waves to 2 is also nice. i like the mixed path, it allows more interesting teams.

Cons
    this tb is massive step down in gameplay. combat missions are now next to worthless, and the only thing that matters is whether or not your guild wants to waste resources relicing useless characters. relicing ugnaught to r9 is not gameplay. you have incentivized getting relics (with mats that the TB doesn't even give you) and just mathematically deploying over actually playing the game. this is bad design. in lsgeotb in my guild i was always in the top 3, now i am 30th because your ability to do combat missions no longer matters, this tb is just a gp numbers game, so my small efficient roster that was able to carry through combat missions is now worth less than bad rosters that are just bloated.

Suggestions
    increase the gp reward amount from combat missions by 10x.
    add an exclusive unit to get3, get3 is nearly useless to players who have the conquest units and kam/wat (which is the vast majority of players who are doing well in roetb because of the absurd relic requirements)

edit: reformatted
  • Make it more accessible to mid-level players maybe by lowering the Relic requirements.

Also hoping that Meathead will actually read this, please relay that we need more quality of life improvements. Things like being able to open more than one bronzium data card at a time or being able to sim those smaller events like Contraband Cargo once you have 3 stared it will make the game not so tedious, give players more time to focus on major events like Conquest and would earn CG loads of good will that might keep or improve the player base.