Grand Arena is slowly becoming my least favorite game mode, and I hate that

I never LOVED Grand Arena, but I managed to enjoy it. The updated system is overall a great change and I understand that everything is working as intended, but as of late I just can't have fun with this mode.

The main reason is that while I do win approximately half of matches, none of them are actually fun to engage with. Going against players with 3 + GLs, Executor, Malgus, Starkiller, etc while I only have 1 GL and none of the above is not fun at all.

Winning because the other player doesn't know what they're doing with all their shiny toys isn't fun for me. Winning because they didn't play is definitely not fun. Losing because the other player set 2 of his GLs on defense blocking me from taking any territory isn't fun either (I can sometimes manage to two shot them, but most of the time their back wall is also filled with top tier squads).

I'd much rather lose while having fun battles than going through this every single time. I was OK with this at first because opponents like these weren't as frequent, but I believe that many of the old Kyber players are leaking into the lower leagues, and it's making me hate this mode.

Again, I understand that everything works as intended, that I'm still winning as much as before and that these battles are "fair"... But they're not fun at all.

Replies

• GA is my least favorite game mode. Wish the crystals never moved there.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Crystal move was fantastic. I'm earning around 5k more per month and I'm not tied to phone at the same hour every single day to make sure I earn them.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Jkane
    220 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Crystal move was fantastic. I'm earning around 5k more per month and I'm not tied to phone at the same hour every single day to make sure I earn them.

Not to mention not having to deal with a 30-40 member shard chat.
  • Currently there is no incentive to try and win every match because at some point you will end up in a place where all your matchups are so unbalanced that it is not funny anymore. I do miss it when players and matchups were based on GP, because it made matches lot more exciting... not to mention more even. Currently nearly all my wins happen because of 2 reasons:

1) My opponents doesn't attack
    2) My opponent doesn't know how to play this game
  • Just take a break from GAC then. I missed signup this past week but it’s nice having a bit of a break from the fights, even if it means less crystals
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Sandeman wrote: »
    Currently there is no incentive to try and win every match because at some point you will end up in a place where all your matchups are so unbalanced that it is not funny anymore. I do miss it when players and matchups were based on GP, because it made matches lot more exciting... not to mention more even.

For some, sure.

I won over 50 in a row at one point under the old system because I abused the GP matchmaking.
  • tribangen wrote: »
    I never LOVED Grand Arena, but I managed to enjoy it. The updated system is overall a great change and I understand that everything is working as intended, but as of late I just can't have fun with this mode.

The main reason is that while I do win approximately half of matches, none of them are actually fun to engage with. Going against players with 3 + GLs, Executor, Malgus, Starkiller, etc while I only have 1 GL and none of the above is not fun at all.

Winning because the other player doesn't know what they're doing with all their shiny toys isn't fun for me. Winning because they didn't play is definitely not fun. Losing because the other player set 2 of his GLs on defense blocking me from taking any territory isn't fun either (I can sometimes manage to two shot them, but most of the time their back wall is also filled with top tier squads).

I'd much rather lose while having fun battles than going through this every single time. I was OK with this at first because opponents like these weren't as frequent, but I believe that many of the old Kyber players are leaking into the lower leagues, and it's making me hate this mode.

Again, I understand that everything works as intended, that I'm still winning as much as before and that these battles are "fair"... But they're not fun at all.

Well, you expressed exactly how I feel about GAC, I keep playing because the cristals are there, but there is 0 fun playing it.
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Come play in Kyber 1, where the fun begins.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    This, I think, is where the crux of the issue is. You're winning 50% of matches, so WAI, but that doesn't mean it's fun.

So glad they moved crystals out of SA.

Were there problems with the old top gp matching system? Sure. But I don't think a global ladder was the solution.
  • Yeah most matches are turning into forfeits or un-winnable matches. They need to make it such that there is actually a reason to put in some effort each round. I think the obvious solution would be to put small rewards to cleaning each zone. Put something like a few omegas or a couple zetas maybe some relic mats or purple gear in each zone. Not all in one zone just each as an example. Put some crazy RNG to it too, like have a 1/1000 chance of getting a full Kyrotech.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I'm not opposed to that but they sure better not bring feats back.

I really like that it doesn't matter how many points I score, and I can just do one attack on auto for the round if I don't have time.
  • I'm a bit bored of GAC.

But I do agree with others - it's still far better than spending an hour on squad and an hour on fleets timing a climb. And of course shard chats were hugely unpopular for those on the outside..

Appreciate that may still be the case for fleet arena.