331 posts EA Community Manager
edited January 2023
r67d8yz6neio.png

UNIT NAME: TIE Defender
ALIGNMENT: Dark Side
CATEGORIES: Dark Side, Attacker, Empire

Key Attributes:
  • New Effect - Special Forces
  • Has an undispellable irresistible, unavoidable stun, that’s right, you heard us
  • Uses the formation buff through Reinforcement
  • It counts as a TIE fighter
  • Uses Resilient Defense Buff

Inspiration:
  • Ships origin dates back to its introduction in the TIE Fighter game, we wanted to capture the nostalgia of our youth and bring a piece of history to the Holotables
  • Our version of the TIE Defender demonstrates the abilities and weaponry it displayed in Star Wars: Squadrons
  • The Executrix needed a 5th ship to fill out the fleet and we felt TIE Defender was the perfect fit for what that team was missing.
  • We wanted Iden Versio to be the crew as before and during her time with Inferno Squad she was one of the Empire’s top TIE pilots
  • The ability “We Weren’t Expecting Special Forces” is a direct callout to Iden’s role and rank in the Empire

Strategy Tips:
  • Use it as a Reinforcement
  • Get your Stun out there as soon as possible - Long cooldown
  • BASIC BASIC BASIC - PEW PEW PEWWWWWWWWWW

FAQ:
Why is the TIE Defender counting as a TIE Fighter?
We wanted the TIE Defender to work well with the rest of the Executrix Fleet.
Have a question about TIE Defender’s Kit? Fill out this form here:
CLICK HERE
Question Deadline: 01/24/2023, 11:59 PM PT

ABILITIES:
BASIC: Wingtip L-s9.3 Laser Cannons
2ljbyjf13d0e.gif

Final Text: Deal Physical damage 3 times. For each critical hit scored, grant TIE Defender a stack of Resilient Defense (max 2). If TIE Defender has Special Forces, this attack has +50% Critical Chance and Critical Damage.

SPECIAL 1:CLL-3 Ion Torpedoes - 4 Turn Cooldown
yc9ni1zhohq2.gif

Final Text: Deal physical damage to target enemy, reduce their Turn Meter by 30%, and Stun them for 1 turn. If TIE Defender has Special Forces, this Stun can't be dispelled, evaded, or resisted.

UNIQUE 1: P-sz9.7 Twin Ion Engine
Final Text: Whenever TIE Defender Evades an attack, Grant 10% Turn Meter to the allied Capital Ship and an additional 10% Turn Meter if TIE Defender has Special Forces. This effect is tripled for Empire Capital Ships.

While TIE Defender has Special Forces, whenever it Evades an attack with Foresight, gain Critical Chance Up for 2 turns and dispel all debuffs on TIE Defender.

TIE Defender counts as a TIE Fighter.

UNIQUE 2: TIE/x7

Final Text:TIE Defender gains 10% Evasion, 20% Offense, and 30% Max Protection. Whenever TIE Defender gains Resilient Defense, recover 10% Protection. At the start of each turn, if TIE Defender has Special Forces and Resilient Defense, it gains Foresight for 1 turn. When TIE Defender evades, if it has Special Forces, recover 10% Health and gain 10% Turn Meter.
REINFORCEMENT: We Weren't Expecting Special Forces

Final Text: Imperial TIE Fighter allies gain Foresight for 1 turn.
Ally Empire ships gain 1 stack of Formation (max 30) until the end of battle or until TIE Defender is defeated and can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. Imperial TIE fighter allies instead gain stacks of Formation equal to the number of ally Imperial TIE Fighters.
TIE Defender gains Special Forces until the end of battle.
NEW EFFECT
Special Forces: Gives abilities additional effects
Post edited by CG_Tusken_Meathead on

Replies

• Awesome! Love the design of this ship and loved Tie Fighter the game back in the day.
  • Yo yo yo I’m down
  • Boomer8800
    408 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    how does this help the non beatable DS Fleet battle in RoTE TB, I hope her ship will stay alive longer then GI/5th's
  • No synergy with the Chimera? Thrawn literally built the Defender, there should have been at least a mention or bonus regarding it.
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • when does the chase start/finish?
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    pzjczfiekbly.png
  • +1 to Alijar1's post. Very excited to have the defender, but it feels like it should have synergy with Thrawn.
  • My most hyped ship ever, but no Chimaera synergy? It just feels wrong. Plus Tarkin was opposed to the TIE Defender program in favor of the Death Star.

Also, Iden has her own custom TIE Fighter, so her being the pilot of the defender is odd.
  • There's so much wrong with this, it's hilarous.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • What's next Leia the pilot of Red 5 and it worked under Endurance?
  • Are we sure the Defender doesn't smash into the target before the torpedoes get there?
  • Nice ship, but really wondering if you guys are going to make an accelerated plan for ships like you did for characters
  • Abillister
    7 posts Member
    edited January 2023
    My most hyped ship ever, but no Chimaera synergy? It just feels wrong. Plus Tarkin was opposed to the TIE Defender program in favor of the Death Star.

Also, Iden has her own custom TIE Fighter, so her being the pilot of the defender is odd.
    I believe Tarkin supported Thrawn with the Defender. If I recall he was helping push it to discredit Krennic, but eventually "took over" the Death Star program from Krennic. Not to say that his reason for supporting Thrawn/Defender wasn't just to take it over from Krennic.
  • I think people are overreacting to lack of synergy with Chimera and having Iden be the pilot. CG consistently states that tags, synergy, etc. may have nothing to do with actual canon/story. Its about balance and gameplay. They wanted another ship to be used with Executrix. Maybe a Chimera specific ship is on the horizon. We had an existing imperial pilot without a ship (Iden). So now she has a ship. That's great to me, and I love the ship.
  • Abillister wrote: »
    My most hyped ship ever, but no Chimaera synergy? It just feels wrong. Plus Tarkin was opposed to the TIE Defender program in favor of the Death Star.

I believe Tarkin supported Thrawn with the Defender. If I recall he was helping push it to discredit Krennic, but eventually "took over" the Death Star program from Krennic. Not to say that his reason for supporting Thrawn/Defender wasn't just to take it over from Krennic.

Yeah, he wasn't directly opposed. He gave Thrawn the chance, but also made it clear that he and the Emperor preferred the Death Star program.
  • CrispyFett wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting to lack of synergy with Chimera and having Iden be the pilot. CG consistently states that tags, synergy, etc. may have nothing to do with actual canon/story. Its about balance and gameplay. They wanted another ship to be used with Executrix. Maybe a Chimera specific ship is on the horizon. We had an existing imperial pilot without a ship (Iden). So now she has a ship. That's great to me, and I love the ship.

That is true, but it's something that could've been easily avoided. Have Iden's custom TIE be the fifth ship in Tarkin's fleet and save TIE Defender for later. Easy fix, and everyone wins.
  • It was around years before the Tie Fighter game. Can't even get the damned origins right.
  • Alijar1 wrote: »
    No synergy with the Chimera? Thrawn literally built the Defender, there should have been at least a mention or bonus regarding it.

THIS!! Tarkin was completely against the Defenders project in favor of more ISD IIs and tie fighters. Thrawn was the brains behind it. Also Iden never flew the defender. Why not get one of the squadrons pilots or pilotless?
  • Wonder if we'll ever get a unit that focuses specifically against Imperial Ties, putting that Unique in jeopardy...
    Hello there.
  • CrispyFett wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting to lack of synergy with Chimera and having Iden be the pilot. CG consistently states that tags, synergy, etc. may have nothing to do with actual canon/story. Its about balance and gameplay. They wanted another ship to be used with Executrix. Maybe a Chimera specific ship is on the horizon. We had an existing imperial pilot without a ship (Iden). So now she has a ship. That's great to me, and I love the ship.

Couldn't agree more. Now I have another compelling reason to prioritize Iden. She was just accelerated as well so I guess it's time to go ahead and get that farm done.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • TIE Defender has shields, so I guess that's why?

I think this ship came about because the designers for the game TIE Fighter just played around with the assets they already had in game for one of the expansions they released.
    TIE cockpit, wing pylons, TIE interceptor wings turned inside out. Wait, make it 3 wings! I don't think it existed anywhere else in star wars stuff before that? I could be wrong.

Never been a fan of this ship. It was just better than all other ships in every way, no trade offs like the rest. Made it too easy.
  • ok. and why should anyone farm this when fleet arena cheaters with 80k power fleets take rank 1 anyway? ban wave please.
  • The problem with the Mustafar fleet mission is that the opposing ships are ridiculously fast. I don't know if their exact speeds have been datamined but they're definitely outspeeding 203ish Imperial TIE Fighters (third fastest ship in the game). Then, because the Empire fleet doesn't have a pretaunt, if the AI decides to target Scythe, it melts and that's game over.

Defender seems really great but doesn't do anything to change that so I'm curious about the design philosophy / intent behind that mission (especially when the other two fleet missions in Zone 1 are much, much easier). Are we supposed to be using R9, full 6-dot TIE Fighter Pilots (assuming even that is fast enough)? Is it supposed to be a coin-flip even for top players?
  • Agree with others about lack of Thrawn synergy. Also, if you wanted a ship crewed by Iden Versio, why not the Corvus? That would have more thematic synergy with the Executrix than the TIE Defender, surely?
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Pryrates wrote: »
    Why is the tie DEFENDER an ATTACKER!?!?

offense is the best defense
  • Dianora wrote: »
    The problem with the Mustafar fleet mission is that the opposing ships are ridiculously fast. I don't know if their exact speeds have been datamined but they're definitely outspeeding 203ish Imperial TIE Fighters (third fastest ship in the game). Then, because the Empire fleet doesn't have a pretaunt, if the AI decides to target Scythe, it melts and that's game over.

Defender seems really great but doesn't do anything to change that so I'm curious about the design philosophy / intent behind that mission (especially when the other two fleet missions in Zone 1 are much, much easier). Are we supposed to be using R9, full 6-dot TIE Fighter Pilots (assuming even that is fast enough)? Is it supposed to be a coin-flip even for top players?

Guild was also testing with Gauntlet with R7 pilots and full 6E mods sitting at 226 speed (166 base + 50 from unique + 10 from Scythe unique). Still couldn't outspeed enemies so I wouldn't hold up any hopes for Defender. And there's no IF the enemy targets Scythe..they always go for Scythe as it's hard coded.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • how do we know this is a galactic chase unlock? I'm not seeing it mentioned anywhere unless I'm blind