What happen to the discord server "To catch a cheater"?

Prev1
GegeGerard24
418 posts Member
edited February 2023
owuekxqall7z.jpg

And the server is gone!

======

NOTE: my participation there was mostly passive (as a reader). Hardly ever engaged in active chatting. Many can confirm this.
Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
Post edited by Ultra on

Replies

• Cheaters have feelings too!
  • Its a lifestyle choice that we should respect
  • what's the line on cg got it taken down rather than work with them
  • Just saw that too. Very unfortunate as it was such an incredible resource for bringing swgoh cheaters to light (and validating that they were, in fact, cheating). I did not see any harassment take place on that server. Just information/fact gathering & sharing.

Something smells a little fishy here…wondering if there were ulterior motives at work trying to get the server taken down.

CG got it taken down?!
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    The_Dude wrote: »
    Just saw that too. Very unfortunate as it was such an incredible resource for bringing swgoh cheaters to light (and validating that they were, in fact, cheating). I did not see any harassment take place on that server. Just information/fact gathering & sharing.

Something smells a little fishy here…wondering if there were ulterior motives at work trying to get the server taken down.

The "ulterior motives" are cheaters whining to Discord that they have been harassed, and Discord not understanding or caring what the point of the server is.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

It was taken down because it violated Discord community guidelines. Stop conspiracy theorizing, especially since it doesn’t matter who reported it if it was breaking the rules.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Anejo wrote: »
    Cheaters have feelings too!

Please understand where they are coming from!
  • nfidel2k wrote: »
    what's the line on cg got it taken down rather than work with them

It was taken down because it violated Discord community guidelines. Stop conspiracy theorizing, especially since it doesn’t matter who reported it if it was breaking the rules.

Sshhh. Don’t say this too loud as everyone in that server thought they weren’t **** bullying or harassing, but rather white-knighting to a billion dollar company.

It was taken down because it violated Discord community guidelines.

Which guideline?
    AFAIK, what they did was only finding cheater's ally code and creating a room for that ally code.

Did some1 really contact a cheater and talk trash to him?
    I doubt it...
  • KDC99X
    750 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    Edit: I was being snarky here but posted this before I read they actually were actively harassing people.. way to throw it all away..

Except it didn’t.. tracking cheaters is not participating in or encouraging **** bullying or harassing. Pretty sure they actually actively discouraged such behavior for exactly this reason.

So… which apk do YOU use? Wanna share your ally code?
    😂
    nfidel2k wrote: »

Which guideline?
    AFAIK, what they did was only finding cheater's ally code and creating a room for that ally code.

I doubt it...

I was passive on it, but yes. They would DM them via Discord and in-game. Join their discord guild servers and harass everyone there. They had a good idea in catching the cheaters, but their ego’s got the best of them.

Which guideline?

I doubt it...

“…encourages, organizes, or participates in…”

Read the Discord message. And if you want more clarification, I suggest asking them.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator

Sshhh. Don’t say this too loud as everyone in that server thought they weren’t **** bullying or harassing, but rather white-knighting to a billion dollar company.

language

This is a terms of service enforced forum board
  • Ok yeah if this is true they crossed the line that would protect them against retaliation for their well-intentioned efforts. Too bad.

Which guideline?

I doubt it...

I was passive on it, but yes. They would DM them via Discord and in-game. Join their discord guild servers and harass everyone there. They had a good idea in catching the cheaters, but their ego’s got the best of them.

• GegeGerard24
    418 posts Member
    edited February 2023

If some1 DM-ed a cheater, my opinion is that is on him alone...not the server.
    It was his decision alone to DM a particular cheater.

BTW...how do you know that they DM any1? You got DM-ed?

I have never read a single instance that said "hey, i already DM-ed this cheater and blah3x"

=====

BTW, how did the server know cheater's disxord account?
    Were they that good at tracking some1?

And...AFAIK, cheaters always turn off their in-game chat (at least some cheaters that i know practice this) to make it harder for any1 to contact them..

maig9pvmpcjb.jpg

That is why their chat button is always disable, like this cheater.
    a6nkviv65p79.jpg

Soooo...really, how do you know that the server DM-ed any1?

Post edited by GegeGerard24 on
  • KDC99X wrote: »
    Except it didn’t.. tracking cheaters is not participating in or encouraging **** bullying or harassing. Pretty sure they actually actively discouraged such behavior for exactly this reason.

So… which apk do YOU use? Wanna share your ally code? 😂

Thank you for proving Discord right. Just to be clear: have evidence BEFORE you level accusations. Otherwise you’re just trying to bully.
  • Not in the Discord and I was obviously being sarcastic. Read my edit.
  • What a joke by the discord team LOL
  • Anyone betting someone on the Discord staff team actively cheats and got discovered by one of the people in the server?
    Hello there.
  • And anyway that’s just a deflection - if they have evidence it’s not bullying? They had evidence on all cheaters they were tracking, that’s not what makes it harassment or not.

And even though I was being sarcastic, it’s odd to spend the bulk of your effort here, defending the silencing of those who were trying to track and being awareness to the cheating problem. That’s all I’m saying.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    KDC99X wrote: »
    Ok yeah if this is true they crossed the line that would protect them against retaliation for their well-intentioned efforts. Too bad.

Which guideline?

I doubt it...

Yes, some people did that

I wasn't a fan of that behavior, sometimes the harassment would be towards guild members, and I didn't approve of it either
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    But again, actions of 2-3 people is not representative of the server itself which had lots of community members working together with the goal of reporting cheater to Capital Games
  • Thanks for the clarification Ultra… yeah that’s a bummer they went that route with it.
    Ultra wrote: »
    KDC99X wrote: »
    Ok yeah if this is true they crossed the line that would protect them against retaliation for their well-intentioned efforts. Too bad.

Which guideline?

I doubt it...

Yes, some people did that

I wasn't a fan of that behavior, sometimes the harassment would be towards guild members, and I didn't approve of it either

• KDC99X wrote: »
    And anyway that’s just a deflection - if they have evidence it’s not bullying? They had evidence on all cheaters they were tracking, that’s not what makes it harassment or not.

And even though I was being sarcastic, it’s odd to spend the bulk of your effort here, defending the silencing of those who were trying to track and being awareness to the cheating problem. That’s all I’m saying.

My post was not about defending the “silencing”. It was about someone starting another conspiracy theory about this, which would most likely be quickly accepted without any proof.

And it’s strange to me that people are defending the behavior of the server when clearly someone did something that went too far. That doesn’t mean they themselves did it, but it doesn’t change that someone did, hence the action taken.
  • UnhingedVader
    7 posts Member
    edited February 2023

I have never read a single instance that said "hey, i already DM-ed this cheater and blah3x"

=====

And...AFAIK, cheaters always turn off their in-game chat (at least some cheaters that i know practice this) to make it harder for any1 to contact them...

a6nkviv65p79.jpg

They would always post the DMs in the respective channels. It was via discord and in-game. No I never got a message, like I said before I was passive on their discord. Wanted to know if anyone I went up against in GAC was a “known” cheater or not.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    But again, actions of 2-3 people is not representative of the server itself which had lots of community members working together with the goal of reporting cheater to Capital Games

Guilty by association. Probably people who simply joined despite not reporting anyone or even talking got warned as well.

Violating servers usually have their owners banned, so sigsig probably got an unjustified block.

I haven't checked whether or not the SWGOH Events server is gone, but if it is, then sigsig has gotten a block.

My knowledge of this is from 3 years ago though, so it might be incorrect.
    Hello there.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    I just got that message myself. I never posted anything on that Server and have also not seen anyone bully or harrass someone, but if there really are some whom did: Shame on you! All you did was get the Server closed and turned a good idea and concept into nothing! Way to go! Smh
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • I was passive on it, but yes. They would DM them via Discord and in-game. Join their discord guild servers and harass everyone there. They had a good idea in catching the cheaters, but their ego’s got the best of them.

=====

And...AFAIK, cheaters always turn off their in-game chat (at least some cheaters that i know practice this) to make it harder for any1 to contact them...

eyc62rr0x78v.jpg

a6nkviv65p79.jpg

They would always post the DMs in the respective channels. It was via discord and in-game. No I never got a message, like I said before I was passive on their discord. Wanted to know if anyone I went up against in GAC was a “known” cheater or not.

Did Discord seriously scan 500 channels to find incriminating messages?
    Hello there.
  • Lumiya wrote: »
    I just got that message myself. I never posted anything on that Server and have also not seen anyone bully or harrass someone, but if there really are some whom did: Shame on you! All you did was get the Server closed and turned a good idea and concept into nothing! Way to go! Smh

Is the SWGOH Events server still up?
    Hello there.
This discussion has been closed.