Proving Grounds for Interceptor

Replies

• Is this a Joke, i was able to win this yesterday and today there isn't any chance. Can't see any nerf in this
  • I don't come to forums often. I prefer my discord server with the friends I've made whilst playing this game. Theory crafting, growing as an alliance, supporting each other in-game and out. Community is what makes a game truly shine. I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life. Not to date myself, but I saw Empire Strikes Back in the drive-in on its opening run. One of my best and earliest memories.

Lead to now. I'm multiple years into this game. I now have a 5.8 million GP account. I recently got my first R9 character (missed the latest Profundity window by two days, but those are the ropes), a GL, and many fun and interesting meta teams. I have 55 relic characters, only 13 of which are under R3. I'm currently on my way towards GL Rey right now. I'm goal oriented and like team building and diversifying.

I've enjoyed that most of the game, thus far, has been winnable with the right RNG, team, mods, and just sheer determination. Players are now rewarded for roster diversity, especially in Arena and Conquest. I farmed Jedi and Light Side early, as personally, I tend to be (as my wife states) Lawful Good. (Honestly, I wish I could be more Chaotic Good, but we don't always get to pick our alignments as people!) Jedi was almost a prerequisite for me upon embarking on building my roster.

I've enjoyed slowly, but steadily being able to get farther and earn more crates in Hard Conquest. Many teams are super fun to play and I love bringing them out. Imp Troopers are just a joy to play, for example.

Lead to the latest Proving Grounds with Inquisitors. I applaud that the Dev team was quick to respond and claim to "lower the difficulty," though I was dismayed that the new inquisitor almost instantly becomes invisible. I will admit to being shocked by the initial tone deaf reply that fully 330 shard ship owners were able to play the event and that the first response was to lock them out, since heaven forbid someone get 20 extra shards to cash in for 760 shards. That's only 4 gold gear piece shards for goodness sake. Hardly a game-breaker and seems like incentive to get Conquest exclusive ships/characters early. But that has been an issue of mine since Proving Grounds rolled out and is certainly not the point here.

I don't expect to win everything. There are only two or three Assault Battles that I've completed CT3, let alone 3*ing them. That is okay and a consequence of where I chose to focus my efforts.

Proving Grounds falls into a different category, however. Many of us could not, or would not, chase newer Conquest-specific reward characters. Changing existing farms as a newly (and sometimes untested or even not fully released) team is introduced is not always the highest priority until the current farm is complete. GC very appreciably put out a new recurring Proving Ground event to aid those to gain those Conquest-specific characters with their current rosters, as long as they met the 4MM GP entry minimum and had R3 characters to use. The sky was the limit in how you chose to deploy them. I know some were annoyed at the minimum requirements, but I understand a line had to be drawn somewhere for entry. This was supposed to be end-game content. New rosters were not supposed to have access. I understand and get that.

Even with the new changes to difficulty, I still am unable to win. I've seen many posts about workaround teams. I, unfortunately, seem to be missing one key person for each of those types of teams.

I've seen almost zero complete meta teams (Sith Triumvirate being the exception). They almost all seem to require Wat, or a very slowed down GL, or some trick to get around the massively overpowered Inquisitor PG team. I have a pretty decent CLS team, all R5/6, and they haven't gotten the job done. I did get 2 inquisitors down once, but were almost immediately defeated by the stacked environmental DOTs). My R7 GL-JML doesn't even get a turn. I've even tried putting JKL as a leader to slow them down, but without getting a turn, that trick doesn't work. Granted, my JML is "only" 530 speed (and a guild-mate SKLR has 591 speed and is still too slow to take a turn). It is ridiculous that an R3 squad is magnitudes faster than an R7 GL (ability to win not-withstanding - certain GLs are of course better situated against certain opponents, but to not even get a turn is devastating). Wat is still a long road away at 118 shards until 7*. I currently have 3*ed all of the other PG missions.

If this is the intention, so be it. If I so choose, I can level up some of the teams previously recommended in order to complete the event. If the intention is to only have the event completable by very specific non-meta teams, then please don't try to sell Proving Grounds as a "catch-up" event for the players. It has, and always should have been, my choice to progress along my own path. Having zero ways to win with "my own path," however, cuts a bit deep in a game I've invested in so much with a fairly broad diversity. There is a fine line between "should always win" and "should be able to win." I firmly believe Proving Grounds' whole concept was the latter. Failing dozens of times with various teams is the very definition of not fun. Again, I know that there are ways to win. Having a 5.8 million GP and still, somehow, not having any of those ways is frustrating for sure. Again, if this is the intention, so be it. I can always choose to level up characters between now and the next run. Needing a very specific group to farm ahead of time for completion has never been necessary previously, however. That being said, an expectation was previously set on winnability and that expectation was certainly not met with this new iteration.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sincerely,
    Pheregas
  • Magruffin
    760 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    I was able to 1 * after the change, with a less than great toon collection. It is doable.
    I'm more stoked that we got a refresh for all of the proving grounds slots today; unlocked CAT a month earlier than I was expecting.
    Um...feels weird saying this but " good job on the response to the outrage, CG"
    Post edited by Magruffin on
  • pheregas wrote: »
    I don't come to forums often. I prefer my discord server with the friends I've made whilst playing this game. Theory crafting, growing as an alliance, supporting each other in-game and out. Community is what makes a game truly shine. I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life. Not to date myself, but I saw Empire Strikes Back in the drive-in on its opening run. One of my best and earliest memories.

Lead to now. I'm multiple years into this game. I now have a 5.8 million GP account. I recently got my first R9 character (missed the latest Profundity window by two days, but those are the ropes), a GL, and many fun and interesting meta teams. I have 55 relic characters, only 13 of which are under R3. I'm currently on my way towards GL Rey right now. I'm goal oriented and like team building and diversifying.

I've enjoyed that most of the game, thus far, has been winnable with the right RNG, team, mods, and just sheer determination. Players are now rewarded for roster diversity, especially in Arena and Conquest. I farmed Jedi and Light Side early, as personally, I tend to be (as my wife states) Lawful Good. (Honestly, I wish I could be more Chaotic Good, but we don't always get to pick our alignments as people!) Jedi was almost a prerequisite for me upon embarking on building my roster.

I've enjoyed slowly, but steadily being able to get farther and earn more crates in Hard Conquest. Many teams are super fun to play and I love bringing them out. Imp Troopers are just a joy to play, for example.

Lead to the latest Proving Grounds with Inquisitors. I applaud that the Dev team was quick to respond and claim to "lower the difficulty," though I was dismayed that the new inquisitor almost instantly becomes invisible. I will admit to being shocked by the initial tone deaf reply that fully 330 shard ship owners were able to play the event and that the first response was to lock them out, since heaven forbid someone get 20 extra shards to cash in for 760 shards. That's only 4 gold gear piece shards for goodness sake. Hardly a game-breaker and seems like incentive to get Conquest exclusive ships/characters early. But that has been an issue of mine since Proving Grounds rolled out and is certainly not the point here.

I don't expect to win everything. There are only two or three Assault Battles that I've completed CT3, let alone 3*ing them. That is okay and a consequence of where I chose to focus my efforts.

Proving Grounds falls into a different category, however. Many of us could not, or would not, chase newer Conquest-specific reward characters. Changing existing farms as a newly (and sometimes untested or even not fully released) team is introduced is not always the highest priority until the current farm is complete. GC very appreciably put out a new recurring Proving Ground event to aid those to gain those Conquest-specific characters with their current rosters, as long as they met the 4MM GP entry minimum and had R3 characters to use. The sky was the limit in how you chose to deploy them. I know some were annoyed at the minimum requirements, but I understand a line had to be drawn somewhere for entry. This was supposed to be end-game content. New rosters were not supposed to have access. I understand and get that.

Even with the new changes to difficulty, I still am unable to win. I've seen many posts about workaround teams. I, unfortunately, seem to be missing one key person for each of those types of teams.

I've seen almost zero complete meta teams (Sith Triumvirate being the exception). They almost all seem to require Wat, or a very slowed down GL, or some trick to get around the massively overpowered Inquisitor PG team. I have a pretty decent CLS team, all R5/6, and they haven't gotten the job done. I did get 2 inquisitors down once, but were almost immediately defeated by the stacked environmental DOTs). My R7 GL-JML doesn't even get a turn. I've even tried putting JKL as a leader to slow them down, but without getting a turn, that trick doesn't work. Granted, my JML is "only" 530 speed (and a guild-mate SKLR has 591 speed and is still too slow to take a turn). It is ridiculous that an R3 squad is magnitudes faster than an R7 GL (ability to win not-withstanding - certain GLs are of course better situated against certain opponents, but to not even get a turn is devastating). Wat is still a long road away at 118 shards until 7*. I currently have 3*ed all of the other PG missions.

If this is the intention, so be it. If I so choose, I can level up some of the teams previously recommended in order to complete the event. If the intention is to only have the event completable by very specific non-meta teams, then please don't try to sell Proving Grounds as a "catch-up" event for the players. It has, and always should have been, my choice to progress along my own path. Having zero ways to win with "my own path," however, cuts a bit deep in a game I've invested in so much with a fairly broad diversity. There is a fine line between "should always win" and "should be able to win." I firmly believe Proving Grounds' whole concept was the latter. Failing dozens of times with various teams is the very definition of not fun. Again, I know that there are ways to win. Having a 5.8 million GP and still, somehow, not having any of those ways is frustrating for sure. Again, if this is the intention, so be it. I can always choose to level up characters between now and the next run. Needing a very specific group to farm ahead of time for completion has never been necessary previously, however. That being said, an expectation was previously set on winnability and that expectation was certainly not met with this new iteration.

Sincerely,
    Pheregas

You should try JKL (L), JML, Hoda, Old Ben and a 5th. It sounds like you have the toons.
  • Just beat it with R3 Treya (lead),Scion, Nihulus, R7 Malek and R8 SEE.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Olddumper wrote: »
    pheregas wrote: »
    I don't come to forums often. I prefer my discord server with the friends I've made whilst playing this game. Theory crafting, growing as an alliance, supporting each other in-game and out. Community is what makes a game truly shine. I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life. Not to date myself, but I saw Empire Strikes Back in the drive-in on its opening run. One of my best and earliest memories.

Sincerely,
    Pheregas

You should try JKL (L), JML, Hoda, Old Ben and a 5th. It sounds like you have the toons.

I tried that a couple times. Didn't work for me. At least one dead before I got a turn, and then you're AB'd so you can't use HA.
  • Heard ST is best to at least complete it, but I don't have them reliced enough to try. And I'm only 15 shards away from 7* that thing anyway!
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    StarSon wrote: »
    pheregas wrote: »

Sincerely,
    Pheregas

I tried that a couple times. Didn't work for me. At least one dead before I got a turn, and then you're AB'd so you can't use HA.

It takes a little RNG. You need Old Ben to get targeted at the open so you can continue with 4 toons. Overall though it seems the most reasonable alternative to Traya. Especially if you don’t have GMK or Rey
  • I was able to sim each event I've done twice this time around, I found that odd, I'll take the shards, but it isn't normal right?
  • What I do not understand is why My units get inflicted with DOT at a faster rate than the IQ? IQ's are taking multiple turns for every turn I get and my toons end up with 3 to 4 times the DOT effects than the IQ. To top it all off, My GL leader seems to always go last of all my toons despite having twice the speed of my other units while having the same amount of fatigue as my other units. I beat the event once but am trying a second time, and it really is apparent, there is no skill or strategy involved in this battle, it is all about RNG. I have done it so many times, and there is no consistency in how the IQ's attack. The only consistency is that my team consistently get kneecapped before they even take a turn.

Very lame event.
  • The_Dude
    84 posts Member
    edited February 2023

It takes a little RNG. You need Old Ben to get targeted at the open so you can continue with 4 toons. Overall though it seems the most reasonable alternative to Traya. Especially if you don’t have GMK or Rey

Yep…I did it yesterday with the JKl squad and just tried it again…took about 5 restarts to get it set up, but it is doable. I used JKL, JML, JKR, Hoda, GMY.

Edit: I restarted until I was left with all 5 toons standing after initial barrage. Then use JKL granted ability, mass stun, then go to town.
  • rickertron wrote: »
    What I do not understand is why My units get inflicted with DOT at a faster rate than the IQ? IQ's are taking multiple turns for every turn I get and my toons end up with 3 to 4 times the DOT effects than the IQ. To top it all off, My GL leader seems to always go last of all my toons despite having twice the speed of my other units while having the same amount of fatigue as my other units. I beat the event once but am trying a second time, and it really is apparent, there is no skill or strategy involved in this battle, it is all about RNG. I have done it so many times, and there is no consistency in how the IQ's attack. The only consistency is that my team consistently get kneecapped before they even take a turn.

Very lame event.

GI has a team debuff cleanse. I guess thats why
  • Post hotfix this still sucks
  • f82bd wrote: »
    Post hotfix this still sucks

It does, Given all the comments i have read here, on reddit and other places, there is one consistent strategy people are using; reset until you get right conditions to use whatever key ability and prey that it works. Basically it is RNG.

I laugh that the one or two sure fire techniques basically involve being able to apply an immunity and hopefully run out the clock.

Its not strategy or skill involved or some kind of masterful gameplay that carries one through.
  • rickertron
    324 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    I_JnK_I wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »
    What I do not understand is why My units get inflicted with DOT at a faster rate than the IQ? IQ's are taking multiple turns for every turn I get and my toons end up with 3 to 4 times the DOT effects than the IQ. To top it all off, My GL leader seems to always go last of all my toons despite having twice the speed of my other units while having the same amount of fatigue as my other units. I beat the event once but am trying a second time, and it really is apparent, there is no skill or strategy involved in this battle, it is all about RNG. I have done it so many times, and there is no consistency in how the IQ's attack. The only consistency is that my team consistently get kneecapped before they even take a turn.

Very lame event.

Thanks for the tip, that helped. Really it did.
    Post edited by rickertron on
  • rickertron wrote: »
    I_JnK_I wrote: »
    rickertron wrote: »

Very lame event.

SKLR and Sith TRooper and and hux also have a cleanse and team cleanse ability yet I never get to use them given the ridiculous buffs they give IQ's. Which makes the event even ****. What is the point in having a variety of toons with different abilities when you can't use them in a given event.

Very poor game design. Make it challenging but give the player a chance to solve the puzzle.

i solved it with reys dmg immunity and 4 very slow tanks. Others with STR. Others with JMLs dmg immunity. The way seems to live long enough, not to kill them fast
  • rickertron
    324 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    I finally beat it a second time. Used SKLR Lead R7, Hux R6, FOST R6, Malak R7 and KRU R7. I had to reset approximately 40 times to get the following conditions. After initial barrage no ability block on my toons, Reva not taunting. Hux gives TM to SKLR and cleanse and I used poke on GI to stun him. After this I was able to drain life out of GI with Malak and use SKLR AOE than SKLR ultimate, rest of IQ die due to DOT except Reva, Malak dies and than left with SKLR and Reva one on one. This battle involves poke when available, AOE cleanse, ultimate, rinse repeat until done. ST and KRU die at some point in the battle dont remember when but they took it for the team.

I think the key to the battle with my team comp and right conditions (RNG) is preventing GI from cleansing his team. If they don't cleanse they die as they should.
  • I rarely expect to complete a new event on the first occurrence, being used to waiting until the second or third while I've worked toward what I need to complete it. That I just happened to relic my Triumvirate based on the Revenger leak was just dumb luck this time.
  • I think the key to the battle with my team comp and right conditions (RNG) is preventing GI from cleansing his team. If they don't cleanse they die as they should.

Yeah, you should put GI down first if you can.
  • I think the key to the battle with my team comp and right conditions (RNG) is preventing GI from cleansing his team. If they don't cleanse they die as they should.

Yeah, you should put GI down first if you can.

When i used CLS lead rebels, I can get GI down 100% of the time, but the rest of IQ's annihilate my team right after.

• It’s not elegant but , to save wasted attempts (& if you don’t have the triumvirate reliced) SEE, Malak (basically a sacrifice to keep SEE alive) Bossk Bando & CAT are a fairly easy win. Keep putting immunity on CAT, link Reva & GI, let Bossk & Malak soak up damage while SEE charges up. By the time Malak croaks SEE has ultimate & then it’s a cakewalk. Only one star but at least it saves endless attempts
  • Wed_Santa wrote: »
    It’s not elegant but , to save wasted attempts (& if you don’t have the triumvirate reliced) SEE, Malak (basically a sacrifice to keep SEE alive) Bossk Bando & CAT are a fairly easy win. Keep putting immunity on CAT, link Reva & GI, let Bossk & Malak soak up damage while SEE charges up. By the time Malak croaks SEE has ultimate & then it’s a cakewalk. Only one star but at least it saves endless attempts

That would work providing one has CAT and Bando.

• Asifab
    140 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    Watching a Relic 9 Lord Vader team a Relic 7 SEE team, a Relic 8 GAS team and a few other teams I have get utterly destroyed in this event is ridiculous.

Even more so considering that none of the Inquisitors were ever stranger than Anakin/Lord Vader.

Considering that this event is already bottle necked by Relic 3 requirements, making the team to defeat this hard is ridiculous.

This doesn't help lower accounts catch up in anyway shape or form.

Literally the thought process of CG as this game continues to progress is mind blowing. Who in the world was at their desk and though "Hmm, let's make it so for this proving grounds event they smash through Galactic legends and have a insane speed too them so other non GL's can't outrun them either. The player base will love that kind of challenge."?

Stop doing stupid stuff to the game, it's meant to be enjoyable not a headache.
  • That would work providing one has CAT and Bando.

Holy Cadbury milk chocolate, Batman! I just realized that NONE of these squads work if you don't have the toons in them.

Darn. Back to the drawing board.

• Sincerely,
    Pheregas[/quote]

You should try JKL (L), JML, Hoda, Old Ben and a 5th. It sounds like you have the toons. [/quote]

Thank you! I don’t know what was so magical about Old Ben, but after a couple dozen annihilations, that team got the job done.

• Congrats, @pheregas

It's always a relief to be done with one of these events.
  • It seems that for this event GL's were purposely neutered in addition the to buffs added to IQ's. At least the ones i have, SEE and SKLR. No matter what combination of characters I used with my GL's they always took their turn last behind characters that are half their speed and suffering the same effects. Its like IQ's had a hidden ability that impacted GL's only.
  • That would work providing one has CAT and Bando.

Holy Cadbury milk chocolate, Batman! I just realized that NONE of these squads work if you don't have the toons in them.

Darn. Back to the drawing board.

Fair shake.
  • Its like IQ's had a hidden ability that impacted GL's only.

it wasn't really this, although I'm sure it looked like it. I believe 2 of the Inquisitors (but at least one) can remove your TM and they probably prioritize attacking your GL with that ability since your GL would be their biggest threat and they don't want it acting. With their high speed + TM jumping + their ability to slow you down with Purge + GI leadership as well as with Fatigue, it all adds up to them running circles around you and getting another chance to suck your TM dry just before you can act, even for your super fast toons.
  • pheregas wrote: »

Sincerely,
    Pheregas

You should try JKL (L), JML, Hoda, Old Ben and a 5th. It sounds like you have the toons. [/quote]

Thank you! I don’t know what was so magical about Old Ben, but after a couple dozen annihilations, that team got the job done.

[/quote]

No problem. It is his unique, “if you strike me down” grants TM and protection/health recovery to get you going.