Accelerate ship shards

Some of the ships in the game are multiple years old. Ships were added to the game in 2016 and it is farcical that six years later the oldest ships in the game still aren't accelerated. By all means include the mechanics as you do with units whereby those accelerated have their shard shop value halved, in order to not affect the overall economy of the game. If you chose, you could even include a two/three year period before they were accelerated to make it harder to take them to 7* than units, but having all ships at single drops is just ridiculous.

If there's a genuine reason @CG_Tusken_Meathead why this can't happen could you communicate this with the player base. It would represent a big QoL upgrade for your community at what is probably very low effort given the mechanics are already there for normal units.
Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg

Replies

• Yeah, couldn't agree more. There is no reason why old ships shouldn't be accelerated at this point. It's already annoying enough for veterans, let alone for newer players. With ships taking so long to farm, it makes it so much harder to catch up. I don't think anyone minds newer ships being slow farms, but 4-5 year old ships have no reason to not be accelerated. This would honestly be one of the best QoL changes, if it were to be implemented. @CG_Tusken_Meathead Would really appreciate if you could relay this information to the devs.
  • I am worried that if they accelerate it, they will also remove the crystals from the fleet arena :#
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • Depending on where they were moved, I could totally get on board with that.
  • I am worried that if they accelerate it, they will also remove the crystals from the fleet arena :#

That makes zero sense
  • Really we need someone like @CG_Tusken_Meathead to say why this hasn’t yet happened. Maybe they’re concerned there aren’t enough ships in the game and want the shards to stay a bottleneck?
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • el_mago
    748 posts Member
    Depending on where they were moved, I could totally get on board with that.

I 100% agree with OP on this one.

But, I'm curious, Ragnarok, where could they be moved where you'd be on board? And where could they be moved that you would not?
  • I guess it's because there's not as many ships as there are characters.

I would really like if they give us up to two shards of a ship (older than 1 year). Not a guaranteed two shards like accelerated characters, but having a random chance to get two from time to time.
  • KDC99X
    750 posts Member
    Too many ships on nodes without good gear, too. Would be nice to least get some core gear while farming these foreeeeeeever ship farms!
  • I guess it's because there's not as many ships as there are characters.

I would really like if they give us up to two shards of a ship (older than 1 year). Not a guaranteed two shards like accelerated characters, but having a random chance to get two from time to time.

That would be a nice step in the right direction. I guess they could code it so that it was, say, 50% higher drop rate than currently. I’m not saying all accounts should be able to have every ship 7* any time soon, but many of these ships are so old it seems silly they still make us farm them at half the rate of characters released a year ago.

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    I do think some of the earlier ships should be accelerated
  • Starter Ships in the very least could be accelerated.
    Hello there.
  • KDC99X
    750 posts Member
    While we’re dreaming…

If they were to accelerate some ships, it would be nice to only pair up accelerated ships with accelerated characters, and non-accelerated ships with non-accelerated characters… it’s always really obnoxious to finish farming a character and then have to spend twice as long on the same node to finish the ship…
  • If they are to accelerate ships, as you know most ship shipments are in 4 shards (except for bistans u-wing, which comes in 5). Would they be set to 10 shards like characters or 8 as double their current sale?
  • Depends on how much energy is being used in refreshes. If they changed all energy to contribute to a different (not limited to 600) daily use then they might change it. Ship grinds are the worst but dont expect changes as i bet many refresh crystals.
  • I would expect them to take the same approach as with gear and characters when they doubled them, so in store, nodes and game modes rewards would be double what they were before. In almost all cases that would be 8 shards, with the u-wing in cantina going up to 10.
  • Really we need someone like @CG_Tusken_Meathead to say why this hasn’t yet happened. Maybe they’re concerned there aren’t enough ships in the game

I really do think this is the problem from CG's perspective.

That said, double drops can be done WITHOUT coding and without promising anything for more recent ships.

All CG would have to do is put 2 decent ships on the same node. Sure, they should be older, but they don't have to be the oldest or the worst. They can carefully pick which ships they do this for, and they can make sure that either both ships work in the same fleet or both are shown (from their own data) to be player priorities about the same time in the game.

Voila! No coding needed, no promises to accelerate every ship (which they might not want to do). They don't even have to do this everywhere since most Regular energy nodes already have a character and a ship on the same node.

instead put two older ships on the same Fleet node.

This is by far the easiest method from a programming standpoint. I think they didn't like how complicated double drops of old toons worked out to be when they couldn't figure out how to make Bronziums work for.a while, etc.

But letting you farm 2 ships at once from the same node effectively shortens your farming time for ALL ships even though each ship still takes the same amount of time. But having, for instance, GR Y-Wing + Fives' Umbaran on the same node gets that fleet ready twice as fast without worrying about programming double drops for anything.

Likewise you could double-up ships that are required for specific events. Slave 1 is still harder to get than it should be, IIRC, but you could drop that on the same node with IG-2000 (or, rather, drop IG-2000 on Slave 1's Fleet Battles node) and you move forward much more quickly on the Millennium Falcon event.

Very few Fleet nodes are doubled up yet. I think this is the perfect way to accelerate ships and make better use of fleet nodes. It allows CG to maintain much more control over which ships they want accelerated, but they also don't have to code anything new or unusual.
  • KDC99X
    750 posts Member
    @MasterSeedy that’s a great idea
  • Really we need someone like @CG_Tusken_Meathead to say why this hasn’t yet happened. Maybe they’re concerned there aren’t enough ships in the game

That said, double drops can be done WITHOUT coding and without promising anything for more recent ships.

All CG would have to do is put 2 decent ships on the same node. Sure, they should be older, but they don't have to be the oldest or the worst. They can carefully pick which ships they do this for, and they can make sure that either both ships work in the same fleet or both are shown (from their own data) to be player priorities about the same time in the game.

Voila! No coding needed, no promises to accelerate every ship (which they might not want to do). They don't even have to do this everywhere since most Regular energy nodes already have a character and a ship on the same node.

This is by far the easiest method from a programming standpoint. I think they didn't like how complicated double drops of old toons worked out to be when they couldn't figure out how to make Bronziums work for.a while, etc.

But letting you farm 2 ships at once from the same node effectively shortens your farming time for ALL ships even though each ship still takes the same amount of time. But having, for instance, GR Y-Wing + Fives' Umbaran on the same node gets that fleet ready twice as fast without worrying about programming double drops for anything.

Likewise you could double-up ships that are required for specific events. Slave 1 is still harder to get than it should be, IIRC, but you could drop that on the same node with IG-2000 (or, rather, drop IG-2000 on Slave 1's Fleet Battles node) and you move forward much more quickly on the Millennium Falcon event.

Very few Fleet nodes are doubled up yet. I think this is the perfect way to accelerate ships and make better use of fleet nodes. It allows CG to maintain much more control over which ships they want accelerated, but they also don't have to code anything new or unusual.

If I remember correctly, there are 2 Hard Fleet Nodes that don't have any Characters or Ships put on them...yet.
    Hello there.
  • That sounds like another great way to implement accelerated ship farming @MasterSeedy .

If the issue is the sheer number of ships that are in the game this sounds like even more of a reason to give us more ships in the game. I doubt anyone wants there to be fewer and there's already lots created and ready, thinking about those in GeoTB for instance. I get why they might not want more x-wings, say, as it could be 'confusing' if you were up against a fleet full of them or you had several in your reinforcements, but theres so many ships available. At this stage I would happily take ships which might not be meta-shaping but which would fill out the fleets we have. A-wing, B-wing, Droid Tri-fighter, Nubian N-1, Gideon's Outland TIE, etc. there's so many to choose from.

Possibly new ships in support roles, like Padme's cruiser or Dooku's Solar Sailer, a Rebel GR75 transport or the resistance transport from TLJ could open up new options too and bring range to some fleets that are lacking. They could be units like Mon Mothma, HYoda, C3PO or Wat that escape if all other allies are defeated, but which buff fleets while in play.

Maybe a dev like @CG_Tusken_Meathead could give some insight on why older ships haven't been accelerated at all.

This looks great. the only issue is that whenever they develop a new character, they slap them on a not doubled node, but then, ig if you take the ship shards off of one then you could put other shards on it. also, HT and XB should be on the same node. if my memory is correct, their nodes are right next to each other.
  • I wonder which of these ideas will be easiest or hardest to implement. Clearly some very sensible ways that ship shards could be accelerated, but nothing seems to be happening.

Maybe it’s time for a dev like @CG_Tusken_Meathead or @CG_SBCrumb to enter the debate and give more insight. I’m sure they’ll have time to answer such a quick query.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    They won't though
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Yeah, they cited the # of charcters as a reason for accelerating them. Maybe when there are a lot more ships.

But I don't even really like that characters are accelerated. I've started taking the "I'll just wait until they're accelerated to farm them" approach. Sure I'm missing out on the newest toys, but I've got a *lot* of other things I can work on in the meantime. But if this wasn't the system, I might work on the new units instead.
  • TVF wrote: »
    They won't though

Won’t do what? Comment or accelerate the shards? If the latter, then I would probably accept their rationale as I imagine there is a sensible quantitative reason behind not accelerating. If the former then that’s just disappointing.