edited March 2023
ksriobsvbjl6.png

UNIT NAME: Cal Kestis
ALIGNMENT: Light
CATEGORIES: Support, Unaligned Force User

ABILITIES:

BASIC: Overhead Slash
8p88zcjr6232.gif

Final Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Defense Down and Speed Down for 1 turn. While Cal is at certain Health thresholds, this ability gains different benefits:
  • - While at or below 75% Health: Gain Health Steal Up for 1 turn
  • - While at or below 60% Health: Attack again and inflict Critical Chance Down for 1 turn
  • - While at or below 40% Health: Attack a third time and inflict Daze for 1 turn

SPECIAL 1: Help Me, BD-1 (CD: 3)
816v37xqid6a.gif

Final Text: Dispel all debuffs on target ally and they recover 45% Health. If the target ally is full Health, they recover 30% Protection instead. If the target ally is full Health and full Protection, grant them Critical Hit Immunity for 2 turns instead. If target ally is Light Side, they gain Accuracy Up for 2 turns.
SPECIAL 2: Not So Fast (CD: 3) (Zeta)
mh1bxmdn1nh6.gif

Final Text: Inflict Evasion Down, Speed Down, and Tenacity Down on all enemies for 2 turns and all allies gain Critical Damage Up and Speed Up for 2 turns. All Unaligned Force User allies gain 3% Turn Meter for each debuff resisted by enemies. If an enemy already had Speed Down, they are Stunned for 1 turn.

UNIQUE 1: I'm Persistent (Zeta)(Omicron)
Final Text: At the start of battle, all Unaligned Force Users gain 30% Max Health and 30% Tenacity. Whenever an ally is critically hit, they and Cal recover 5% Health and Protection. If the ally is also a Light or Dark Side Unaligned Force User they and Cal gain Protection Up (10%, stacking, max 50%) for 2 turns.

For each Special ability used by each other character, Cal gains a stack of Persistence, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. If an opponent takes the first turn in an encounter, Cal gains 15 stacks of Persistence.

Persistence: At the start of his turn, Cal does the following based on the number of stacks of Persistence that he has:
  • - 10+ stacks: He and all Unaligned Force User allies gain Foresight for 2 turns
  • - 20+ stacks: He and all Unaligned Force User allies gain Defense Up and Protection Up (30%) for 2 turns
  • - 30 stacks: He inflicts Ability Block and Buff Immunity on all enemies for 2 turns, which can't be evaded or resisted, and all allies gain 50% Turn Meter, this effect is doubled for Light Side Unaligned Force Users; stacks of Persistence are reset

While in Territory Wars and there is an ally Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum) with an upgraded Omicron: Ahsoka's solo Omicron effects are no longer disabled when she has allies; this effect persists through defeat.

NEW EFFECT
Persistence: Applies different effects at the start of this character's turn based on the number of stacks they have

Key Attributes:
  • Sets the groundwork for an Unaligned Force User squad that will be lead by Cere Junda
  • Doesn’t like to go first in battle (save your speed mods!)
  • BD-1 is adorable

Inspiration:
  • Cal’s kit draws from the original game Jedi: Fallen Order by Respawn Entertainment. If you haven’t played it, go play it!
  • Not So Fast is Cal’s Burst Slow ability that he uses throughout the game, with familiar sound effects JFO veterans will recognize. This is fairly unique to Cal Kestis, drawing on his ability to focus intently on slowing his enemies’ movements, as if meeting their movement with a resistance of his own.
  • Help Me BD-1 is a direct line from Cal when he gets a healing stim from his droid companion
  • Cal’s new effect, Persistence, is paying homage to the rivalry he has with Second Sister throughout JFO
  • We wanted to avoid the “go first” win condition many squads have in our game

Strategy Tips:
  • Use Cere Junda (our next character release) as the leader to get full use of Cal’s kit
  • While waiting for Cere, Cal can slot into a Starkiller squad
  • Mod for stats other than speed - Cal benefits from other units taking turns before him

FAQ:
Why is he Unaligned Force User and not Jedi?
This is Cal from the earlier part of Jedi: Fallen Order when his connection with the Force is still damaged. The Jedi version of Cal from Jedi: Survivor will be a Hero’s Journey unit coming soon!
What is Cal Kestis required to be at for the Hero’s Journey?
7* Gear XII
Why does his Omicron activate another Omicron?
Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum) is a useful part of this squad, but her Omicron was counter to this. It was designed to help her stand alone, so it being active while she has allies makes it quite potent.
If he benefits from other units taking turns, why does he speed up allies and slow enemies?
He benefits from other units taking turns before him at the start of battle, but eventually his squad needs to take turns and start reaping the benefits. His control over the battle and healing are useful here.
How do we obtain Cal Kestis?
Marquee event starting at 11a Pacific.
Have a question about Cal Kestis’s Kit? Fill out this form here:
CLICK ME
Question Deadline:03/07/2023, 11:59 PM PT

Replies

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    first
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Is this another video game guy? Is he pals with revan?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • yes. no.
    Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Wait... never mind.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Interesting kit. Nothing earth shattering. I’m hoping the hero’s version of Cal is. His 2nd ability doesn’t quite seem worth an entire ability, even if it did everything listed rather than just replace the effect before it.
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Unique 1 specifically calls out a light side or dark side force user... Wondering if we'll be getting a neutral force user.
  • Oriax
    1 posts Member
    please improve the effect of the second special, it can be better
  • woop woop!! Love him and BD! can't wait. Worth it just for the BD companion. I bet his full jedi version will be awesome
  • Where is the part where Vader gets undispellable Damage Immunity?
    Hello there.
  • So his basic is the same as CLS, but much worse?

Having health thresholds for an ability to get better is terrible. Have you guys played the game lately? How often does a toon make it to their next turn once they have lost protection? Oh I'm below 75, so I'll gain health steal, now I get to deactivate half of this ability... oh I died. How about link this to persistence as well instead? Only 1 turn on all these debuffs too.

Special 1 is captain Han special 1, but worse (in some ways)? I can see this being used so little that even on the odd occasion where it would be useful, you forget about it.

And wow, an omicron that does nothing on its own. Making the fulcrim one effectively a double cost omicron with team restrictions.

The special 2 seems pretty good, but the condition of speed down to stun will be very rare. Speed down from basic only lasts 1 turn, and they don't expect you to mod this guy fast. So the speed down will need to come from someone else.

Colour me underwhelmed. Hopefully proves to be better than it looks.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Two Cals so soon?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Wow, useless omicrone, that's definitely a new level for them...
    Absolutely thrilled to use it, was just wondering where to put my 400 omicrone details...
    6jw5cjrwee0f.png
    Post edited by Ratinira on
  • I hoping his legendary variant will have stance changing as part of it, like kiadi mundi.
  • Ratinira wrote: »
    Absolutely thrilled to use it, was just wondering where to put my 400 omicrone details...

I agree that his omicron sucks
    But if have 400 omicrons stalled, you're doing something wrong lol
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Is this another video game guy? Is he pals with revan?

can't tell if you're trolling or what but revan was from KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic, 2003) and Cal Kestis is from Jedi: Fallen Order (2019). two different games. different timelines too. KOTOR takes place years before phantom menace. JFO takes place after the empire is established.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    So his basic is the same as CLS, but much worse?

Having health thresholds for an ability to get better is terrible. Have you guys played the game lately? How often does a toon make it to their next turn once they have lost protection? Oh I'm below 75, so I'll gain health steal, now I get to deactivate half of this ability... oh I died. How about link this to persistence as well instead? Only 1 turn on all these debuffs too.

Special 1 is captain Han special 1, but worse (in some ways)? I can see this being used so little that even on the odd occasion where it would be useful, you forget about it.

And wow, an omicron that does nothing on its own. Making the fulcrim one effectively a double cost omicron with team restrictions.

The special 2 seems pretty good, but the condition of speed down to stun will be very rare. Speed down from basic only lasts 1 turn, and they don't expect you to mod this guy fast. So the speed down will need to come from someone else.

It does seem a bit underwhelming. His first special needs some TM or swap or something, and I agree that his basic should be tied to his persistence.

Only his unique really seems any good.
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    mariogsh wrote: »
    Ratinira wrote: »

I didn't have sarcasm picture :-)
    I don't have spare omicrones
    Because there are hard to get
    And especially I don't have them for an omicrone that is doing nothing :D
  • Kaerindal wrote: »
    Jackow wrote: »
    what the f is "11a Pacific" for a time and what date??
    Cant help with the date but that is 11am Pacific time (the timezone of their office). Would be 2pm Eastern or 7pm GMT

All marquee characters when announced on a tuesday come out on thursdays for us to play with them and test them.
  • My prediction is that when they eventually add a rebel GL that replaces CLS as the main Rebel lead, CLS will join this team. UFU that has speed down on the basic and pumps turn meter to his allies when he inflicts debuffs sounds pretty good. In my mind that probably makes the team Cere, Cal, CLS, Fulcrum, OG Kylo.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    mariogsh wrote: »

I didn't have sarcasm picture :-)
    I don't have spare omicrones

You have 400
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Celoth
    22 posts Member
    So his basic is the same as CLS, but much worse?

So, his Omicron is kinda overwhelming, but I appreciate that actually. It fits a specific role for the people who will want to/be able to make use of it, but his viability isn't at all dependent on it. This is a good feel for me.

As far as his viability, he's *very* good on paper, but only for very specific team compositions. He's a very niche roleplayer bringing strong passive buffs to a team that relies on unaligned force users, basically meaning Cere, Starkiller, or Rey. And in those teams he brings a lot of really strong things, starting with just the general passive durability his unique provides. Outside of his specific use (UFU teams) he seems basically useless.
  • Minch
    1 posts Member
    I should receive special in-game rewards for already Getting the Platinum Trophy for Fallen Order!! I truly feel entitled to having this guy already at 7 stars...
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    I think 3 tweaks would make his kit so much more viable.

1) basic tied to persistence thresholds rather than health
    2) add, “target ally and cal gain 3% tm for each stack of persistence”
    3) add “and deal damage to all enemies”

It would be overpowered, but would be much more useful and have more synergy with Cere.
  • And wow, an omicron that does nothing on its own. Making the fulcrim one effectively a double cost omicron with team restrictions.

Right, an omi that does nothing on its own except:

"UNIQUE 1: I'm Persistent (Zeta)(Omicron)
    Final Text: At the start of battle, all Unaligned Force Users gain 30% Max Health and 30% Tenacity. Whenever an ally is critically hit, they and Cal recover 5% Health and Protection. If the ally is also a Light or Dark Side Unaligned Force User they and Cal gain Protection Up (10%, stacking, max 50%) for 2 turns.

For each Special ability used by each other character, Cal gains a stack of Persistence, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented. If an opponent takes the first turn in an encounter, Cal gains 15 stacks of Persistence.

Persistence: At the start of his turn, Cal does the following based on the number of stacks of Persistence that he has:
    - 10+ stacks: He and all Unaligned Force User allies gain Foresight for 2 turns
    - 20+ stacks: He and all Unaligned Force User allies gain Defense Up and Protection Up (30%) for 2 turns
    - 30 stacks: He inflicts Ability Block and Buff Immunity on all enemies for 2 turns, which can't be evaded or resisted, and all allies gain 50% Turn Meter, this effect is doubled for Light Side Unaligned Force Users; stacks of Persistence are reset"

Yeah, nothing on its own, at all.
  • Obi_six_Kenobi
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Corkboard wrote: »

- 20+ stacks: He and all Unaligned Force User allies gain Defense Up and Protection Up (30%) for 2 turns
    - 30 stacks: He inflicts Ability Block and Buff Immunity on all enemies for 2 turns, which can't be evaded or resisted, and all allies gain 50% Turn Meter, this effect is doubled for Light Side Unaligned Force Users; stacks of Persistence are reset"

… uh, who wants to tell him?
  • Corkboard wrote: »

This is what the omicron does:
    While in Territory Wars and there is an ally Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum) with an upgraded Omicron: Ahsoka's solo Omicron effects are no longer disabled when she has allies; this effect persists through defeat.

The rest is his unique, which does not require the omicron upgrade to do.
  • Ratinira
    412 posts Member
    Corkboard wrote: »

Thanks for copying his unique, but you have forgotten to copy omicrone :)
    Omicrones descriptions are started with "While in X regime" and they are put after main description ;)
    So yes, noting on its own at all...
  • I just wish they had his voice to say, "BD, stim!" when you use the special
  • Well, did the whole marquee event and never saw Cal cross any of those basic attack thresholds. How about that.

And now we can see the stun if already speed down is a zeta. That's an easy zeta to never bother putting on.

None of the levels had the enemies faster than Cal, I think? Weird event.

Fulcrim didn't even seem like she was doing much, to me, even when using 8 or 9 buffs up. Cere will need to lift this a lot.
  • I realise now that comparing this marquee character's basic to the hero journey basic of CLS was a little unfair.

He feels a little lacklustre in the marquee though. I think one small tweak that would help is if his second special also pushed their tm back a little. It would really make the advantage gained from the speed down vs speed up more impactful and obvious. Even just 10% tm, or 1% per stack of persistence. Maybe just add that to the omicron, give Cal something from the upgrade?
  • Well, did the whole marquee event and never saw Cal cross any of those basic attack thresholds. How about that.

And now we can see the stun if already speed down is a zeta. That's an easy zeta to never bother putting on.

None of the levels had the enemies faster than Cal, I think? Weird event.

Fulcrim didn't even seem like she was doing much, to me, even when using 8 or 9 buffs up. Cere will need to lift this a lot.

That's because it's a marquee event. Characters in marquee events don't do much damage unless they're supposed do that damage.
    Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Wait... never mind.