GL not the best teams anymore?

Prev1
There seems to come more and more non GL teams that easily beats GLs.

I have five GL and it’s not worth getting the two I miss, Rey and SLKR.
They are not worth the time and investment anymore.

The third sister seems to be the last proof that CG doesn’t want the GL to be the best teams anymore.
But even before that it’s pretty clear that they want lesser teams to easily beat teams like Jabba.
Sure my Aphra team need the datacrone but when that runs out there will be a new one.
And of course LV had many non GL teams beating him.

It surprises me CG went this direction. Is it because they doesn’t earn enough money on players farming GLs or is it a change of the meta to reduce the GLs impact in the game?

Replies

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    You will still be at a disadvantage if you don't chase GLs even if there are non-GL counters to GLs
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Imo there are a lot of factors and there's no reason to conclude cg doesn't want gls to be the best teams. They still are the best teams (let along currently scrutinised op reva thing). And in totality they want you to both get gls and their counters.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    One team alone doesn't get you what it used too.
    Player with just reva and no gls vs a player with all GL, I know who would have the advantage.
    Also guess which players actually have reva? The ones that have just about every unit reliced.
    Look at all the complaints about GAC match making "I am matched against a player with 6 gls and I only have 4, how is this fair"
  • The current hierarchy appears to be:

1, new toon with their DC
    2, GLs
    3, everything else

In a way, this is genius of CG. They have the DC economy honed such that it requires either luck or $ to get the right DC as well as either a huge crystal stash or $ to get the new toon for the first 2 GAC cycles after release. For the 3rd and 4th, you can likely get there as an endgame player. For everyone else, you nrver get to use the toons in all their glory. I imagine this proves a powerful incentive to spend for many.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    You will still be at a disadvantage if you don't chase GLs even if there are non-GL counters to GLs

True but it’s more effective to chase the non GL meta now.
    I had great use of the Aphra team and I got it much quicker than if I went for Rey.

Now its coming non GL teams with short delay between them. so I can farm two or perhaps even three teams instead of one GL.

I’m in kyber two and I very often beat team with one or two more GL than me because they are missing the non GL meta.
  • Rey and slkr shouldn’t be ignored. I don’t disagree entirely with your post but rey Ben will always be a good defensive team even though it’s solved. Slkr will continue to be one of the most important counters to gls or flavor of the month dc amped non gl teams.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I hope I start finding opponents that skip GLs
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

That's not his point.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

That's not his point.

Nick_74 wrote: »

That's not his point.

Not worth the time and investment anymore compared to what? The rest of his post and his point.

That's not his point.

Not worth the time and investment anymore compared to what? The rest of his post and his point.

And @TVFs point is he likes the conclusion the op has come to for his opponents in gac. He’d rather face someone skipping slkr and rey in pursuit of flavor of the month teams. Don’t really see why that’s hard to understand. We have no idea how good the second cal will be or how powerful the dc he gets will be. Seems like tvf is saying known quantities that are permanent is better over unknown quantities both with and without dc.
  • EdSolo
    410 posts Member
    Reva is one thing, but she is gated pretty well unless you're in a top guild. Aphra isn't amazing from what I have seen. Even with a datacron, I beat her with CLS, Han, Chewie in 3 v 3 GAC. In arena, JMK wiped the floor with her without a datacron vs a level 9 datacron aphra. To the point, that both Aphra and Vader were dead even before I got to use my CAT instakill. As for SLKR and Rey, get them. At the very least, the more GL's you have, the easier GAC is. Rey with Ben Solo can be a very difficult team to take down. SLKR has a ton of uses.
  • Drathuk916 wrote: »

That's not his point.

And @TVFs point is he likes the conclusion the op has come to for his opponents in gac. He’d rather face someone skipping slkr and rey in pursuit of flavor of the month teams. Don’t really see why that’s hard to understand. We have no idea how good the second cal will be or how powerful the dc he gets will be. Seems like tvf is saying known quantities that are permanent is better over unknown quantities both with and without dc.

The OP is pointing out that he believes GLs are no longer the best teams and youre not served focusing on them when you can farm the flavor of the month teams much cheaper and they're beating the GLs hed be grinding for anyway.

Today isnt the best day to suggest GL's are the top of the pecking order when the best overall team in the game is now Reva - which costs much less to get than Rey or SLKR. Why go after SLKR if you have any possible chance of getting Reva?
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Drathuk916 wrote: »

That's not his point.

The OP is pointing out that he believes GLs are no longer the best teams and youre not served focusing on them when you can farm the flavor of the month teams much cheaper and they're beating the GLs hed be grinding for anyway.

Today isnt the best day to suggest GL's are the top of the pecking order when the best overall team in the game is now Reva - which costs much less to get than Rey or SLKR. Why go after SLKR if you have any possible chance of getting Reva?

I don't think depending on Reva before the water clears makes much sense as a proof GLs became less important than new teams. Even if Reva was left as is (small chance) it would be just Reva and not "new teams becoming more important than gls"
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited March 2023

That's not his point.

I will continue to look for opponents that avoid Rey and SLKR.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member

That's not his point.

Matchmaking does not work this way.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Antario wrote: »

That's not his point.

Matchmaking does not work this way.

Shilling has advantages
  • I feel like you guys are talking past each other. Or maybe I misunderstand the discussion.

Are GLs good? Hell yeah!

Are GLs expensive? Hell yeah!

Consider a player that doesn't have all the GLs yet, for the same amount of investment required to get SLK/Rey/etc, would they be better off having 2 or 3 (not sure where that math landed) flavor of the month teams or the GL? I'm honestly not sure. Short term, probably flavor of the month. Long term, probably the GL. \_(ツ)_/¯

That's not his point.

Reva is a silly argument. Yes only 6 characters vs 15 but then 3.5 months minimum assuming you are in a guild getting 48 shards a month. Also no one is saying don’t get reva.

The ops argument is they are better served getting aphra than cal vs slkr and rey in any order. I’ve not completely disagreed with this assessment. I’m saying rey and slkr are still good investments and I think it makes more sense pursuing known quantities vs unknown ones.

Ultimately do whatever you want but I just don’t buy the argument that rey and slkr are no longer worth the investment. It’s also too soon to declare aphra better than rey and slkr even when factoring in cost.
  • Just spit balling here but anyone that currently has reva most likely has all of the GLs too.

Same here

That's not his point.

Reva is a silly argument. Yes only 6 characters vs 15 but then 3.5 months minimum assuming you are in a guild getting 48 shards a month. Also no one is saying don’t get reva.

The ops argument is they are better served getting aphra than cal vs slkr and rey in any order. I’ve not completely disagreed with this assessment. I’m saying rey and slkr are still good investments and I think it makes more sense pursuing known quantities vs unknown ones.

Ultimately do whatever you want but I just don’t buy the argument that rey and slkr are no longer worth the investment. It’s also too soon to declare aphra better than rey and slkr even when factoring in cost.

We just said literally the same thing. Right now today based on the last several months you are better served ignoring GLs to focus on Inq/Reva, Aphra, and certainly Cal (but that remains to be seen). They're outperforming the GL's relative to the investment.
  • Joebo720
    646 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    How exactly are you getting into a guild that is pulling a decent amount of reva shards and can even make it to that zone without GL's? GAC is a small portion of this game. Is she probably a little overpowered? Yeah but no reason to grab the pitchforks and torches. And certainly not a reason to ignore GL's.

That's not his point.

Right. You get to pick between these two opponents:

A - Reva & Aprha but no Rey & SLKR
    B - Rey & SLKR but no Reva & Aprha

You'll choose to take on A? particularly if they could parlay the lack of extra investment into SLKR and Rey into several other meta teams that require similar total investment.

Remember he said its about the INVESTMENT which you will ignore and suggest they should just have all of everything becasue it ignores the point.

That's not his point.

We just said literally the same thing. Right now today based on the last several months you are better served ignoring GLs to focus on Inq/Reva, Aphra, and certainly Cal (but that remains to be seen). They're outperforming the GL's relative to the investment.
    I’m going to assume you are personally nowhere near unlocking Reva if you think a player with 5/7 GLs will get anywhere fast by “ignoring” the missing GLs and focusing on Inquisitors and Reva.

I’m in a guild where the average is 6.5 GLs and we finished with 35 stars last TB, which was roughly around the top 70 guilds in the game. And we’ve got 118 Reva shards total.

Even if the GI event returned tomorrow, we will take at least another 6 TBs to unlock Reva. The reality is it will be around 8 TBs.

If that’s how long players with all the GLs are going to take to unlock, I dread to think how long 5 GL players will take. Who cares about the performance relative to investment if it’s going to take people 8 months to unlock?

That's not his point.

You'll choose to take on A? particularly if they could parlay the lack of extra investment into SLKR and Rey into several other meta teams that require similar total investment.

Remember he said its about the INVESTMENT which you will ignore and suggest they should just have all of everything becasue it ignores the point.
    Can you find one player in the game who is in category A?

If not, this question is hypothetical and not worth answering.

That's not his point.

This is all hypothetical? The OP has 75% of that covered by reading his post - we only don't know if he has Reva or how far away he is. Id say that's far from a far off fantasy that I spun out of nothing.

The point is - if you have a guildmate with 4M GP that asks if should they push for Inquistors and Stark Killer or push for Rey - you would 100% say get Rey? I very seriously doubt that.

Remember similar Investments. Thats the point of his thread.
  • Absolutely would tell them to get Rey first. Great in all aspects of the game. Also if i had 4M GP guild mates i doubt i'd be making it to Reva CM anyways.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

That's not his point.

This is all hypothetical? The OP has 75% of that covered by reading his post - we only don't know if he has Reva or how far away he is. Id say that's far from a far off fantasy that I spun out of nothing.

The point is - if you have a guildmate with 4M GP that asks if should they push for Inquistors and Stark Killer or push for Rey - you would 100% say get Rey? I very seriously doubt that.

Remember similar Investments. Thats the point of his thread.

Find me a 4m player that is getting Reva.