The Mandalorian S3E3 The Convert (Spoilers)

Prev1
Hexen_Jagar
632 posts Member
edited March 2023
The dog fight scene was really well done! I'm glad they're not cheaping out on any of the ship scenes.
The empire really likes to bomber Mando property..

World building Coruscant was cool, I'm sure there was a few easter eggs sprinkled in there, but I felt the doc arc should have been a 2 part. This episode introducing him, having him pitch his ideas to the NR, and failing. Then the next episode him sneaking out and doing at least one experiment before the betrayal. Also no one would let her stay in that room alone!!

I think Bo was riding that nice dopamine high from being welcomed back and no long exiled. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Post edited by Ultra on

Replies

• Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    All that tech in their armor, and no video recording capabilities?…… Has to bring back a vial of water instead of just showing her some video? Or playback to see the Mythosaur?
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    All that tech in their armor, and no video recording capabilities?…… Has to bring back a vial of water instead of just showing her some video? Or playback to see the Mythosaur?

Lol good point.

So it sounds like Gideon got rescued before the trial. I'm wondering if the interceptors and bombers were his doing

Deepfake is a thing in-universe too.
  • Really enjoyed the opening, but why they speed the film up when Mando jumps in the star fighter? looked odd.

I got super excited when I saw the Ep was going to be about 45 mins long, then quickly figured this was a side track ep just like they did to book of boba fett. The chic who turns on the doctor, reminds me visually of an adult Omega, and I while I don't really understand this part of the story (I don't care if I get burnt on the page about it) did it really need to take that long for them to explain what was going on? Walking through a park as such - cool I get the angle of showing her character has been transformed... but seriously talk about drag the chain. clearly anyone who watched understands what it leads to, but my question is, the tactics applied, will this guy turn out like what they did to bixx?

Also felt the end was super rushed and like others said - "here is some water" - sure it shimmered in the amourers pond, but I can see something is changing in Bo Katan, she saw the mythsaour, so if like the internet suggest, she tames it, she runs the show.

best part I enjoyed was here starfighter stopping in mid air and turning around for the attack, brilliant CGI work! love the fact they are showing some of her skill set and again, the fact R5 is a very nervous droid, how he pulled away when she talked about flying through the cliffs! they are doing an awesome job on R5.

• Magruffin wrote: »
    Ltswb1 wrote: »

Lol good point.

So it sounds like Gideon got rescued before the trial. I'm wondering if the interceptors and bombers were his doing

I hope so, like to see some more mid air combat scenes.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    The ingenuity with the ship combat here and in Andor is quite good. I’m glad they’re bringing that back to Star Wars since it was very poor in the sequels.
  • Devian
    663 posts Member
    Kinda like how they united (future Mandalore) Kryze with her clan. Thought, she'll need to conquer Mythosaur first, and then conquer Mando's clan, but it went otherwise.
    But doctor's arc was a bit weak, hard not to comapre with Andor^both visually and storywise.
  • Fun to see the Canto Bight crowd hanging out on Coruscant. They're the worst.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    I honestly don’t understand the point of the doctor’s story. If they need his expertise, then why turn on him so quickly? If they don’t need his expertise, then what was the point? It made no sense to me. I was expecting them to trick him into continuing his experiments to help out the empire without him knowing it. But what did they actually accomplish here? If they wanted him silenced, I’m sure there were much easier and less convoluted ways to do that. Hell, just push him off the train.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member

Deepfake is a thing in-universe too.

Obviously. Lol
    eh99iw5pgetz.jpeg
    I honestly don’t understand the point of the doctor’s story. If they need his expertise, then why turn on him so quickly? If they don’t need his expertise, then what was the point? It made no sense to me. I was expecting them to trick him into continuing his experiments to help out the empire without him knowing it. But what did they actually accomplish here? If they wanted him silenced, I’m sure there were much easier and less convoluted ways to do that. Hell, just push him off the train.

I don't think the New Republic turned on him, it was just the woman that did. I would suspect she's still tied to Moff Gideon somehow and it was his order to fry his brain.

• Ltswb1
    550 posts Member

I don't think the New Republic turned on him, it was just the woman that did. I would suspect she's still tied to Moff Gideon somehow and it was his order to fry his brain.

That’s who I meant. If she wanted him silenced, then why go through all of that? If they needed something from him first, then why silence him so fast? It didn’t make sense.
  • Yeah I don't get it either why she went through all the trouble instead of just a quick and quiet assassination, if all they wanted was to not let the New Republic have his expertise - which isn't happening anyway given how bureaucratic the NR appears to be.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    I don't understand it either, if it really was "just" that goal... but there is another option. What if her turning that button reprogrammed him in favour of the Empire, to get him loyal to their side?
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Magruffin
    760 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    She also does keep the stuff they took for his research- I don't think she handed it back.
  • Plus, all they got was certain equipment that appeared on all star destroyers, nothing of Pershing's particular past work. It's like MacGyver telling you the items he needs to create a device, and then killing him before he tells you how to put it together.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    i really liked the episode until i reflected back on it

The doctor subplot seemed to be interesting but it amounted to nothing

Like if it did, i wouldn’t mind it at all but we didn’t learn anything about Gideon or the New Republic or anything other than one of the reformed individual who used to work for Gideon isn’t a nice person

they could’ve done a lot of things with the doctor plot like have a dialogue on why he was working on cloning Grogu etc to make it worthwhile

Not even visual cues, but none of the dialogue in that plot mattered and the doctor ended up dead so it’s not like his journey mattered since he will be a absent for future episodes
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Shows how the Empire and New Republic arent too different.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    Magruffin wrote: »
    She also does keep the stuff they took for his research- I don't think she handed it back.

I’m pretty sure she didn’t get to keep the stuff. I can’t imagine the police letting someone keep stolen items just because they turned in the person that helped them steal them.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    I think she was just getting rid of him because he knows she has ties to Gideon.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Doc is dead? I thought he's just being brain-washed by the machine?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Well, that gets rid of him :D
  • Yeah I don't get it either why she went through all the trouble instead of just a quick and quiet assassination, if all they wanted was to not let the New Republic have his expertise - which isn't happening anyway given how bureaucratic the NR appears to be.

Probably because that is exactly what the empire would do. Gideon prob doesn’t want anyone to think that there are any remnants of the empire.
  • Ultra wrote: »

Like if it did, i wouldn’t mind it at all but we didn’t learn anything about Gideon or the New Republic or anything other than one of the reformed individual who used to work for Gideon isn’t a nice person

they could’ve done a lot of things with the doctor plot like have a dialogue on why he was working on cloning Grogu etc to make it worthwhile

Not even visual cues, but none of the dialogue in that plot mattered and the doctor ended up dead so it’s not like his journey mattered since he will be a absent for future episodes

Remember in rise of skywalker when there are all the chambers of snoke clones? Maybe, since grogu clearly has many midichlorians they could clone the midichlorians or something and put them into snokes/other cloned beings.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »

Remember in rise of skywalker when there are all the chambers of snoke clones? Maybe, since grogu clearly has many midichlorians they could clone the midichlorians or something and put them into snokes/other cloned beings.

yes that is my theory and i think the leading theory is that they want grogu to do something with palpatine / snoke

But this episode subplot did nothing towards explaining anything and if anyone would give exposition on why Gideon was after Grogu it was this scientist or Gideon himself
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

But this episode subplot did nothing towards explaining anything and if anyone would give exposition on why Gideon was after Grogu it was this scientist or Gideon himself

Oh, ya i get that, i should’ve only quoted part of what you said. that’s my bad
  • The scientist was CGI like they did with Luke, anyone else notice?
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    Zelion wrote: »
    The scientist was CGI like they did with Luke, anyone else notice?

No he wasn't. The actor is still alive, credited and also not made younger. There wouldn't be the need to do that (which would cost money they wouldn't need to spend).
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • I dont really understand the doctor scene is all about, but gideon escaped, surely he's planning something out there.
  • These episodes are so boring as of now, it was embarrassing for a show called the Mandalorian feature a protagonist who never been to mandalore.

I’m just waiting for boba to return because this btec boba has no USP