TW matchups

Prev1
So I’m assuming there’s going to be no revisiting the current formula for matchmaking in TW?

Sandbagging is still an issue. Mismatches are still an issue. Would be nice for some kind of pass by the devs or anything regarding this but I’m sure it’ll be radio silence as usual….

Replies

• Where's the screen shot of a 500M+ guild on a 30 win streak getting matched up with a 250M guild on a losing streak?
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    So I’m assuming there’s going to be no revisiting the current formula for matchmaking in TW?

Sandbagging is still an issue. Mismatches are still an issue. Would be nice for some kind of pass by the devs or anything regarding this but I’m sure it’ll be radio silence as usual….
    I'd be careful what you wish for...

When the community were pressing for a change in TW matchmaking, the devs in many respects made it worse. The charitable matchups given to guilds on a losing streak is a terrible idea and I wish they got rid of it.
  • ChuMuc
    39 posts Member
    Well, matchmaking should be made on the average GP of the member, with bonus calculated for tw omicrons and datacrons. That way, incentive to join with every member and sandbagging will be really hard.
    Your guild joining with 40 members and paired up against 50? Tough luck.
    Whale out on datacrons? Play against others who did the same.

I assume this is not bullet proof, but would certainly prevent win streaks of 30 matches or so like the current pairing where top end guilds join with 40 members and feast on same size but totally not tw interested guilds.

If you want top winning streaks, beat MAW and CAW and the likes of those.
  • ChuMuc wrote: »
    My guild are 46-7 in TWs since this day last year, and a big part of that good record is seemingly above average engagement with datacrons for our level.

I cannot get behind any matchmaking system that rewards guilds who invest resources into things like datacrons and omicrons with matchups against guilds who do the same.

Guilds who don’t engage with these things should be at a disadvantage when compared to guilds that do. Not kept apart from them.
  • Zyppah
    44 posts Member
    I'm just getting sick of the grotesque mis matches of 80 to 100 mil more gp and 100 GLS over and above my guild. It's fine getting a little out matched and getting beat in a close war, but opening the battle first hour and watching the other guild burn your entire map in 1 hr is absolutely brutal to watch when you Throw all your Gls on defense and watch the carnage.
  • ChuMuc
    39 posts Member
    ChuMuc wrote: »
    My guild are 46-7 in TWs since this day last year, and a big part of that good record is seemingly above average engagement with datacrons for our level.

I cannot get behind any matchmaking system that rewards guilds who invest resources into things like datacrons and omicrons with matchups against guilds who do the same.

Guilds who don’t engage with these things should be at a disadvantage when compared to guilds that do. Not kept apart from them.

Then we agree to disagree. I would like matchups to be fair, so it is a struggle for both sides with the results not predetermined. I would say out of our last 30 tw, we had 2 where that was the case.

Then we agree to disagree. I would like matchups to be fair, so it is a struggle for both sides with the results not predetermined. I would say out of our last 30 tw, we had 2 where that was the case.
    That’s fine.

Bear in mind, though, the system you seek provides some incentive for NOT developing one’s roster. For all the things wrong with TW / GAC matchmaking, one of the biggest positives is the devs removing all such incentives from the game.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

I'd be careful what you wish for...

When the community were pressing for a change in TW matchmaking, the devs in many respects made it worse. The charitable matchups given to guilds on a losing streak is a terrible idea and I wish they got rid of it.

I'm glad for it lol
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • ChuMuc
    39 posts Member
    That’s fine.

Bear in mind, though, the system you seek provides some incentive for NOT developing one’s roster. For all the things wrong with TW / GAC matchmaking, one of the biggest positives is the devs removing all such incentives from the game.
    I think ROTE is the incentive to improve your roster. You need massive improvements to get good loots. And I can understand it from a business perspective, still not liking it and don't have to. I accept it, but still does not prevent me from saying what I think would be better. With the current system, 80-90% of all TW matchups are pretty boring.
  • If my guild wins 9 of 10 TWs, does it mean the 1 we lose is the charity case for another guild?
  • Screerider wrote: »
    If my guild wins 9 of 10 TWs, does it mean the 1 we lose is the charity case for another guild?
    Just like every aspect of PvP in this game, if you win it’s skill, if you lose it’s bad matchmaking.

Why should we ever apply an TW omi if that means we will face other who did exactly the same, nullifying the advantage we hoped to get using such a rare resource ? You'll be better of with GAC omis or PvE omis.
    If my guild wins 9 of 10 TWs, does it mean the 1 we lose is the charity case for another guild?
    Just like every aspect of PvP in this game, if you win it’s skill, if you lose it’s bad matchmaking.

Datacrons are not a skill. Omi’s, zeta’s, mods and GL’s are all roster development choices. Permanent ones at that.

DC’s are constantly RNG with limited chances to get the right ones to fall. I’ve tried 15 different DC’s and not a single one got me to the Chewpio DC. Not a single one to Shorty. How is that a skill? It’s literal luck and my guilds losses have come from walls of GL Jabba DC’s until those expired. Not to mention just walls of Jabba himself and other mismatches of GL’s from sandbagging.
    Screerider wrote: »

Datacrons are not a skill. Omi’s, zeta’s, mods and GL’s are all roster development choices. Permanent ones at that.

DC’s are constantly RNG with limited chances to get the right ones to fall. I’ve tried 15 different DC’s and not a single one got me to the Chewpio DC. Not a single one to Shorty. How is that a skill? It’s literal luck and my guilds losses have come from walls of GL Jabba DC’s until those expired. Not to mention just walls of Jabba himself and other mismatches of GL’s from sandbagging.
    You’ve tried what, sorry?

https://swgoh.gg/p/971354768/datacrons/?datacron_set=7
  • Just like mods, the more a player “invests” into a resource, the more likely they will have better results.

Sure, after 1 week, a player doing 1 mod refresh a day might have a better result than a player doing 3 mod refreshes a day; but after a month of that investment there’s only one winner.

You have habitually invested less in conquest refreshes than others, so it’s no surprise you don’t have the same amount of datacrons that those who will unlock Trench a couple of weeks have.

Yes, I broke down those that didn’t yield anything of value to try and recycle my resources instead of use more crystals.
  • Just like mods, the more a player “invests” into a resource, the more likely they will have better results.

Sure, after 1 week, a player doing 1 mod refresh a day might have a better result than a player doing 3 mod refreshes a day; but after a month of that investment there’s only one winner.

You have habitually invested less in conquest refreshes than others, so it’s no surprise you don’t have the same amount of datacrons that those who will unlock Trench a couple of weeks have.

Umm what? I will unlock Trench the next conquest.

Also mods are not nearly as RNG heavy or resources sinking as DC’s. Not even close. That’s not even considering the permanent to temporary boost each one gives respectively.

Yes, I broke down those that didn’t yield anything of value to try and recycle my resources instead of use more crystals.
    That’s either a really questionable use of your resources, as those Datacrons can still be very useful stat stuffers, or it’s what someone who had exaggerated their Datacron investment would say.

That’s either a really questionable use of your resources, as those Datacrons can still be very useful stat stuffers, or it’s what someone who had exaggerated their Datacron investment would say.

OP, everything this guy is saying is true. Since whatever you're doing continues to make you frustrated, perhaps try listening to this guy and try something different

So you’re saying that i should spend crystals on one of the several resources needed to roll/re roll DC’s rather than dismantle existing ones that aren’t useful to me to have extra tenacity or resistance?

Thank you for your opinion, but I’d prefer to use my crystals on refreshes, or on signal data or wherever I may need them to push for Jabba or Profundiddy instead of on resources I can farm in conquest for far less that are temporary boosts.
    DonPuto wrote: »

OP, everything this guy is saying is true. Since whatever you're doing continues to make you frustrated, perhaps try listening to this guy and try something different

I didn’t ask for his advice on DC’s. He called me a liar about having tried rolling 15 DC’s from the new set to get to Chewpio and i rebutted him with why he was misinformed. Not to mention this thread has to do with TW mismatches and poor matchmaking. He said that lack of DC’s was due to skill and i rebutted saying that given how heavily RNG dependent they are and their massive resource investment, it doesn’t even come close, nor does it compare to putting priority into permanent boosts like GL’s, Omi’s, mods, and zetas.

Its been like that since the dawn of gaming, you win the other guys is a loser, you start losing and its always lag or some hardware issue lol
  • There's a new GL coming in a month or two and they have new characters to work on for that GL and new datacrons to **** us off with. They don't care about TW right now. It's a low low priority event.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    There's a new GL coming in a month or two and they have new characters to work on for that GL and new datacrons to **** us off with.

Don't state baseless speculation as fact please.
  • TVF wrote: »
    There's a new GL coming in a month or two and they have new characters to work on for that GL and new datacrons to **** us off with.

Which is baseless?
  • Problematic TW matchmaking?
    Just use SKILL RATING!

A guild should be assigned a SKILL RATING and be put into a division accordingly.

500M GP guild bullies 250M GP guild? As long as the SKILL RATING permits that, it is fair.

Solved.
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Which is baseless?

You have no basis for the statement that a new GL is coming that soon.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Problematic TW matchmaking?
    Just use SKILL RATING!

A guild should be assigned a SKILL RATING and be put into a division accordingly.

500M GP guild bullies 250M GP guild? As long as the SKILL RATING permits that, it is fair.

Solved.

How's your GAC going?
    He said that lack of DC’s was due to skill
    No I did not.

If you are referring to this post:
    Just like every aspect of PvP in this game, if you win it’s skill, if you lose it’s bad matchmaking
    that was pretty obviously a joke based on the nature of forum posts ever since PvP began.

From the moment TW and GAC launched, the forums have been full of people who claim their victories are a result of how brilliant they are at the game, and their defeats are a result of mean, awful, evil CG and their broken matchmaking.

Those people never seemed to accept that the people they beat could be making exactly the same claim about the matchmaking.

For the avoidance of doubt, this post is what I actually think about Datacrons:

• This thread has drifted off-topic, and I recognise my role in that, so I will attempt to get it back on course.

TW Matchmaking in its current format is broken and worse than it was before the last update. The previous system, which cared only about signed up GP, could see 50 members of a 300M guild getting matched with 40 members of a 375M guild. The new system has an element of charitable matchmaking, which sometimes sees 50 members of a 280M guild getting matched with 50 members of a 350M guild who have lost a few in a row.

I loathe the charitable matchup mechanic and would like it to be removed asap.

There are still some questionable matchups created outwith the charity mechanic, though, and the devs should definitely look to do something about them. We recently go this matchup:
    29pclr2xctt2.png
    which saw our opponents clear one zone. We had won the preceding 4 wars.

Whatever happens with TW matchmaking, there will always be guilds that excel in this game mode and guilds that flounder. Guilds that focus on the PvP differentials like Mods, omicrons, datacrons and also conquest units will always have the edge over similarly sized guilds that don't focus on these things. I know many forumers think that matchmaking should take these differentials into consideration, but I can't agree with any system that has any incentive for not improving your roster.

I think TW matchmaking should aim to match guilds with a similar signed up GP AND similar number of signed up players. Period. I do not think there should be any weighting for number of GLs or number of TW omicrons or number of datacrons. PvP focused guilds will win more than those that are not focused, and that's the way it should be.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    1) revamp reward structure, incentivizing to sign up full for higher GP because even a loss in a higher GP bracket (if CG wants to keep the bracket system which could then also need a revamp) would yield the same or even slightly better rewards than winninh in the lower bracket

2) implement a penalty for lower sign up, like every dropped member decreases rewards by -10%

3) add GAC powerhouse chars (at the level of SK, Malgus, Reva, etc.) as exclusive rewards to TW
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg