GAC change of time

Prev13
Why has CG changed the GAC time? Today it ended one hour earlier than it should.

Replies

• Yes caught me out also. Went to attack at a time I always do but was finished so no rewards.
  • US Pacific daylight savings time change. It only affects a few things in the game. GAC start time is one of them.
  • US Pacific daylight savings time change. It only affects a few things in the game. GAC start time is one of them.

Only issue then is that there was no notification that I saw about the change due to daylight savings. Fair enough if your from that part and know about it but others in other countries have no clue.
  • It also started at the habitual time. But it ended early. They should have warned us.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    This happens twice a year every year.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

Only issue then is that there was no notification that I saw about the change due to daylight savings. Fair enough if your from that part and know about it but others in other countries have no clue.

If you're "from that part" you don't need to know about it, because it moved along with your time. There was no notification, you didn't miss it. Would be nice if there was.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    It also started at the habitual time. But it ended early.

Yes because their clock moved one hour ahead at 2am.
  • TVF wrote: »
    It isn’t a case that it happens but the lack of notification for those in other countries. It isn’t common knowledge just like our time zones are not common knowledge in other parts.

Apparently, not the same day on every country. Here, it's the last weekend of March. How are we supposed to guess when the USA does it?
    It isn’t a case that it happens but the lack of notification for those in other countries. It isn’t common knowledge just like our time zones are not common knowledge in other parts.
    To be fair, there was an icon on the main screen counting down to phase end throughout.
  • It doesn't effect GAC time if you're also doing the daylight saving time thing. :)
    To be fair, there was an icon on the main screen counting down to phase end throughout.

Yeah, I saw it at the time I can play swgoh. It marked -23 min instead of -1h 23min. This morning it marked the normal time.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Apparently, not the same day on every country. Here, it's the last weekend of March. How are we supposed to guess when the USA does it?

Where were you when it happened last year? I know you've been playing longer than that.
  • dogwelder79
    1465 posts Member
    edited March 2023

Where were you when it happened last year? I know you've been playing longer than that.

I don't remember. Maybe I should put an alarm for march 16th 2024...
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Since the start of this game they have never adjusted for daylight savings time so if/when it happens in you area of the world when things start and stop change.

True but when you are used to the timing and not up to date with other time zone you get used to those times and without any notices you don’t pay as much attention as you should. In my case this time change took effect Friday morning where in Australia any daylight savings changes happen on a Sunday. As such I sure would not of even thought of the time change. All it would take was a simple in game notification to let players aware.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited March 2023

I don't remember. Maybe I should put an alarm for march 16th 2024...

Your OP indicates that you don't understand why it happened, rather than not understanding when it happens.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    With that said you probably should set an alarm for next year if you're that concerned about it. For your 600 guild tickets too.
    Post edited by TVF on
  • Screerider wrote: »
    It doesn't effect GAC time if you're also doing the daylight saving time thing. :)

I’m doing DST, just live elsewhere in the world so DST haven’t kicked in yet.
    So yep, it changes GAC time twice. First when the clock moves in US, then again when it moves locally (that’s a switch back to previous local timing).

While it’s no real surprise it happens and while there is an in game counter, I’m not opposed to an actual notification.
    We are mostly people of habit so don’t play close attention to the countdown when you “know” when they timer ends.
    And no, most of the world don’t remember when exactly the time changes in the US.
  • Lumiya
    1431 posts Member
    I see no harm in CG making an in game announcement. As others have stated, this is an international game. It doesn't matter how long someone plays, a notification hurts noone and only can help. I was surprised by it aswell, because ours is at a different date and I too did not have it in my mind, that their date is another one.
    We also should not forget, there are always new players whom don't know this happens.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Hmmm... CG uses epoch times stamps for everything, which is based off of UTC so they are not moving start times or end times. Should only move if your time changes locally. Maybe they messed up on the last one. I will pull the timestamps later and see.
  • scuba wrote: »
    Hmmm... CG uses epoch times stamps for everything, which is based off of UTC so they are not moving start times or end times. Should only move if your time changes locally. Maybe they messed up on the last one. I will pull the timestamps later and see.
    It’s not just GAC though. Events launch at 8am for me year round, apart from the short spells between US clock changes and UK clock changes, when they launch at 7am.

This actually worked to my advantage though, as the day the US clocks had changed there were 2 events that had a bonus hour - pieces and plans and (I think) Executrix fleet mastery. I was able to run both again for extra rewards - as would have been the case for anyone in a country where clocks had not changed.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    It happens twice a year every year, just like I said. Dunno why people keep acting like this is new.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    It’s not just GAC though. Events launch at 8am for me year round, apart from the short spells between US clock changes and UK clock changes, when they launch at 7am.

This actually worked to my advantage though, as the day the US clocks had changed there were 2 events that had a bonus hour - pieces and plans and (I think) Executrix fleet mastery. I was able to run both again for extra rewards - as would have been the case for anyone in a country where clocks had not changed.

CG doesn't change start/stop times though. As was said it is you changing your local time and CG not following you when you do it.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    It happens twice a year every year, just like I said. Dunno why people keep acting like this is new.

Because people are dumb. I actually like CG stance on not following DST changes and sticking with UTC
  • thedrjojo
    949 posts Member
    edited March 2023

But they do change times. Gac join launchs at 3pm local time for them and rounds run 2pm local time to 2pm local time. That was an hour earlier for everyone this round, which is why everyone complaining here had the problem. It will happen again when local time catches back up, which if that happens tomorrow, means you will have 1 less hour for defense set time and then attack will go back to your normal local times

Because people are dumb. I actually like CG stance on not following DST changes and sticking with UTC

DST actually adjusts the UTC conversion, from UTC-8 to UTC-7 for example.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    thedrjojo wrote: »

But they do change times. Gac join launchs at 3pm local time for them and rounds run 2pm local time to 2pm local time. That was an hour earlier for everyone this round, which is why everyone complaining here had the problem. It will happen again when local time catches back up, which if that happens tomorrow, means you will have 1 less hour for defense set time and then attack will go back to your normal local times

And that did sound weird this time which is why I said I would pull the timestamps.
    They don't normally change the times. It has always been thier stance that they run on utc time for the game stuff.
  • The problem is that they didn’t change the times, not that they did change it. UTC is merely an internationally accepted date/time format. If the servers are located anywhere in the US, their timestamps changed when US DST went into effect, but the run times didn’t.

And on the original topic I agree that an in game notice would be extremely helpful for international accounts.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

CG doesn't change start/stop times though. As was said it is you changing your local time and CG not following you when you do it.
    Yes they did - and it happens every year.

Uk clocks have not changed. GAC phases have started at 10pm for months, but this current round start time was 9pm. That’s not as a result of my time zone changing, but the CG servers changing.