Is putting no defense in GAC actually a better strategy?

Prev1
Just had a first here, here i am in GAC , doing as usual,i see my oponent hasn't put any toons in defense,and just 3 powerfull ships ( that i couldn't bypass )

Well,initially I though,heh this guy forgot to put his defense, easy win,don't have to do anything,only now i realise how he brute forced my defense (4-5 attacks on defense ,because he has the upper hand in number of teams )

I never have seen this before,and it seems like the player isn't really penalised for not putting any defenses as he can just brute-force his way through you .

I was really caught off guard by this,and i still don't understand why it doens't count as an automatical loss if anyone does this.

Replies

• I thought the AI placed the defense when you didn't...?
  • Oh that's what I thought too initially,i found it weird, but then i realised,it only places auto defense if you don't put anything at all,but since he put up the Ship territory , he overrided the AI .
  • Moorebid wrote: »
    I thought the AI placed the defense when you didn't...?

Sounds like he just saved you some time. If you couldn't clear his ships, you couldn't have outscored, even if he set g7 teams on defence.

You got awarded max banners per team he didn't set (59 in 3v3).

If you could beat his ships you have an almost guaranteed win. Ships matter. Work on them. Take away this option.
  • newbornFL
    483 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Unforntunately ,that's not how it works, My defense is made in such a way that normally ,with normal amount teams,it is very hard to pass and get to my ships,or,at the very least,making you use teams so you can't finish the last unit territory, yet, he just brute forced it now .
  • Ship only defense, it works because you have no possible way to clear his fleets but he gets to use everything else on offense. It's a risky strategy that depends on your knowing what your opponent is working with.
  • newbornFL
    483 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    So no matter how well thought my defense plan is,it's useless because I have an handicap in ships (that is covered by good defense) ?

I mean,i have no problems with loosing,if you pass my defense and get to my ships,and clear them,you'll probably win,that,i have no problem with, but this is just plain dirt as no strategy can make it off .

• If you cleared his ships.... you would have won and wouldn't be here talking about it..
  • DMG_SW
    215 posts Member
    newbornFL wrote: »
    So no matter how well thought my defense plan is,it's useless because I have an handicap in ships (that is covered by good defense) ?

I mean,i have no problems with loosing,if you pass my defense and get to my ships,and clear them,you'll probably win,that,i have no problem with, but this is just plain dirt as no strategy can make it off .

You have a well thought out defensive plan. He looked at it, and figured out a defensive plan that would allow him to beat you. His plan worked because you've neglected ships. His plan wouldn't work against most players. He just discovered your weakness, and designed a defense to exploit it.
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    Always assume they will clear you. The higher you go, the more likely this is. It’s extremely rare I don’t clear with a full defence set. You were banking on blocking him. Rookie error. Work on ships.
  • So... did he "pass (your) defense and get to your ships and clear them"?
  • So you would have been okay with the loss had he set 15 teams comprising his bottom 45 units which he didn’t use to clear your defense instead of just leaving it blank? His only path to victory was you not clearing his ship because he gifted you max points on squads. You didn’t. You lost. Nothing seems dirty.
  • newbornFL wrote: »
    Just had a first here, here i am in GAC , doing as usual,i see my oponent hasn't put any toons in defense,and just 3 powerfull ships ( that i couldn't bypass )

Well,initially I though,heh this guy forgot to put his defense, easy win,don't have to do anything,only now i realise how he brute forced my defense (4-5 attacks on defense ,because he has the upper hand in number of teams )

I never have seen this before,and it seems like the player isn't really penalised for not putting any defenses as he can just brute-force his way through you .

I was really caught off guard by this,and i still don't understand why it doens't count as an automatical loss if anyone does this.

It's a strategy and if it didn't work, people wouldn't do it. If I saw your ships were garbage, I'd probably do the same thing.

It's just like in lower divisions when people are facing others without a GL. They can drop SLKR on defense and it can hold pretty well vs anything. If you can't get past that GL, it doesn't matter what's behind it and they can hold more for offense to clear whatever you put down.

Then there's datacrons to aid in defense and offense which will ruin your roster for 4 months at a time.
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »

It's a strategy and if it didn't work, people wouldn't do it. If I saw your ships were garbage, I'd probably do the same thing.

It's just like in lower divisions when people are facing others without a GL. They can drop SLKR on defense and it can hold pretty well vs anything. If you can't get past that GL, it doesn't matter what's behind it and they can hold more for offense to clear whatever you put down.

Then there's datacrons to aid in defense and offense which will ruin your roster for 4 months at a time.
    I challenge you to go 24 hours without mentioning datacrons.
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    I just put no defense on my alt to test this out. the guys ships aren’t the best, and i put my strongest ships out. I will let you know the results
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    I just put no defense on my alt to test this out. the guys ships aren’t the best, and i put my strongest ships out. I will let you know the results

Why not go one further and put a bunch of you junk ungeared unlevelled toons on defence?
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

Why not go one further and put a bunch of you junk ungeared unlevelled toons on defence so you get awarded the banners?

Bc there are no banners?
  • wow it gave him all the banners for free thanks for the genius strat
  • luckily i got 7 more banners bc of wampa solo and i doubt he can break through my ships, but it’s 628-621
  • wow it gave him all the banners for free thanks for the genius strat

You just now realised how bad this strategy is? It’s 100% reliant on your ships holding and his folding so it is quite bad vs anyone without horrible ships
  • It can work if you have ships that are a tier above theirs. This was a particularly fun match-up for me a month or so ago. You have to be sure they can’t break your fleets though which is harder now exe and prof have been out a while and off-meta counters are more refined.

wvndel4rxd3l.jpeg
    rreqpajivpaw.jpeg

Needless to say they didn’t break my exe
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • luckily i got 7 more banners bc of wampa solo and i doubt he can break through my ships, but it’s 628-621

So did it work? I am standing here beside myself!
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »

I challenge you to go 24 hours without mentioning datacrons.

I challenge you to go 24 hours without complaining about other people's complaints. Boom.
  • el_mago
    748 posts Member
    It can work if you have ships that are a tier above theirs. This was a particularly fun match-up for me a month or so ago. You have to be sure they can’t break your fleets though which is harder now exe and prof have been out a while and off-meta counters are more refined.

wvndel4rxd3l.jpeg
    rreqpajivpaw.jpeg

Slightly off topic...

Absolutely LOVE how your opponent stuck his king-size foot in his stupid fat mouth. Why are people so horrible? I can't tell you how many times I've had people message me that kind of stupidity.

vknawa7okrfy.png
  • el_mago wrote: »
    It can work if you have ships that are a tier above theirs. This was a particularly fun match-up for me a month or so ago. You have to be sure they can’t break your fleets though which is harder now exe and prof have been out a while and off-meta counters are more refined.

wvndel4rxd3l.jpeg
    rreqpajivpaw.jpeg

Slightly off topic...

Absolutely LOVE how your opponent stuck his king-size foot in his stupid fat mouth. Why are people so horrible? I can't tell you how many times I've had people message me that kind of stupidity.

vknawa7okrfy.png

I so agree with you.... People have these weird expectations surrounding GA that I really don't understand... I have had some pretty funny quotes, some of them from guildies unfortunately...

"There is a special place in hell for GL's placed in a back zone"
    "Are you going to attack?" (Opponent waiting for me to attack first so they know how many points they need)
    "I'm going to report you for cheating" (Took out his vader with Traya Omi pre-nerf)

At the end of the day, it's a battle and the point is to win... If you win fair and square using the roster you built then you won, plain and simple...
  • Wow. I never get these messages. I'm ... quite relieved.

I almost never message with my opponents now, though back in the day when we could get titles and pics for feats in GAC I would sometimes message someone asking them to put a particular squad in the front row of their defence (or sometimes just any weak squad) and in exchange I would let them win the round.

Occasionally someone wouldn't see the message in time. Occasionally they'd say no. But every time they did that, I always held up my end and attacked only the squad named while placing anything that they asked on defence so that they could practice counters if that was their thing, or to make the defence as easy as possible to clobber, if that was their thing.

Sometimes we would also check in right near the end of a GAC cycle to make sure we each had enough points to reach Aurodium or Kyber, whatever their goal was. There were times when I let someone have the win b/c they needed it for their goal, but I had already gotten mine; there were times when someone else did that for me. Those were the best. Made some friends that way, actually. Friends who would chat with me for a long time after, just checking in.

Crystals seem to have taken that camaraderie away from GAC, but I'm lucky enough I've never seen this kind of terrible messaging. I don't know what I would do if I did see it.
  • Wow. I never get these messages. I'm ... quite relieved.

I almost never message with my opponents now, though back in the day when we could get titles and pics for feats in GAC I would sometimes message someone asking them to put a particular squad in the front row of their defence (or sometimes just any weak squad) and in exchange I would let them win the round.

Occasionally someone wouldn't see the message in time. Occasionally they'd say no. But every time they did that, I always held up my end and attacked only the squad named while placing anything that they asked on defence so that they could practice counters if that was their thing, or to make the defence as easy as possible to clobber, if that was their thing.

Sometimes we would also check in right near the end of a GAC cycle to make sure we each had enough points to reach Aurodium or Kyber, whatever their goal was. There were times when I let someone have the win b/c they needed it for their goal, but I had already gotten mine; there were times when someone else did that for me. Those were the best. Made some friends that way, actually. Friends who would chat with me for a long time after, just checking in.

Crystals seem to have taken that camaraderie away from GAC, but I'm lucky enough I've never seen this kind of terrible messaging. I don't know what I would do if I did see it.

If you collaborated with a fellow player for a mutually beneficial arrangement, then that's great! I too actually have some friends that I have reached out to through chat etc.

And yes, maybe GA being a big crystal source took some "camraderie" away, but really, it's not supposed to be about camraderie.... It's a win or lose proposition every time... IMOP, it beats the hell out of the old squad arena where 30 people had "camraderie" and the rest were all on the outside looking in...
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

At the end of the day, it's a battle and the point is to win...

I raise you with: At the end of the day, it’s a game and the point is to have fun.

• BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Starslayer wrote: »
    BubbaFett wrote: »

At the end of the day, it's a battle and the point is to win...

I raise you with: At the end of the day, it’s a game and the point is to have fun.

And I raise you with "why get **** over strategy?"

If you win, you win....If you lose you lose.... so be it... Why take all this stuff so seriously?
  • Jacgul
    213 posts Member
    el_mago wrote: »

wvndel4rxd3l.jpeg
    rreqpajivpaw.jpeg

Slightly off topic...

vknawa7okrfy.png

I've only ever not been able to resist talking **** to one opponent. His username was Nightman, i told him i was the Dayman and going to destroy him with karate.