QOL - visual notification for new messages(?)

This has been grinding my gears for literally years (heh)

Can we please get a red dot next to chat tabs or any other kind of visual notification that a new message has been received in a direct chat??

I’m a guild leader and I have several rooms open. I try to remember on the daily to quickly cycle through but having a visual cue would be super handy.

Replies

• Discord is way better way to communicate as a guild.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    Discord is way better way to communicate as a guild.

True but there are players you write up in game for the first time. I also would welcome it f I could see if/when they answered.

I for example sometimes write with my GAC opponents or when someone "new" hits the top 30 in our fleet shard, I invite them to our Discord.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Discord is way better way to communicate as a guild.

I agree, discord is far superior and very much preferred.

That being said, in my own guild we don't require discord participation. Only about half of the guild is actually on discord. There are some good reasons for this and most of them are centered around player agency over their own phone and/or their own time.
    • Some people avoid discord due to having had negative experiences in the past with being harassed on discord.*
    • Some people don't want discord notifications constantly popping up on their phone.
    • Some people don't feel it should be necessary to install additional apps to play one game.
    • Some people have very limited time in-game or only log in once a day so discord is pointless.
    • Some people feel it's an unnecessary security risk.
    • Some people are in guilds because it's necessary for advancement and don't care to engage socially.

It's inconvenient (to say the least) to have to repeat everything 'important' that I need to say to my guild mates across two platforms but I do it. As a 'casual' medium-sized guild we can't afford to miss out on otherwise consistent and dependable players with strong rosters simply due to someone's unwillingness to install an additional app on their phone. But the fact that they don't get discord notifications makes comms difficult, and the inability to push a notification (barring inbox messages) adds another layer of frustration for guild leadership that can't rely solely on discord.

A visual indicator (red dot or whatever) that doesn't rely on the user checking their inbox would be a great help and seems like low hanging fruit from a development standpoint. I think it would make a significant difference in guilds that want to encourage participation with or without discord - not to mention the benefits it would give to rank and file players that don't want to miss out on new messages. Ideally this would toggle on any new incoming message from a channel other than the default guild channel, and perhaps a markup flag included in the message (similar to how we might use bold or text color attributes) could toggle it for a specific message in the default guild channel.

* This is a big one actually - harassment isn't something we tolerate on our guild discord but that being said, it's never been a problem - not even once that I know of. But I've had guild mates come to me and tell me they won't be joining discord because of previous bad experiences with bullying or harassment from guild mates (from previous guilds) or shard mates. These people deserve a place to enjoy the game (i.e. a guild and/or discord environment that doesn't tolerate this nonsense) as much as anyone else but apparently civility and human decency are too much to ask of some people.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Lumiya
    1435 posts Member
    Discord is way better way to communicate as a guild.

I agree, discord is far superior and very much preferred.

That being said, in my own guild we don't require discord participation. Only about half of the guild is actually on discord. There are some good reasons for this and most of them are centered around player agency over their own phone and/or their own time.
    • Some people avoid discord due to having had negative experiences in the past with being harassed on discord.*
    • Some people don't want discord notifications constantly popping up on their phone.
    • Some people don't feel it should be necessary to install additional apps to play one game.
    • Some people have very limited time in-game or only log in once a day so discord is pointless.
    • Some people feel it's an unnecessary security risk.
    • Some people are in guilds because it's necessary for advancement and don't care to engage socially.

It's inconvenient (to say the least) to have to repeat everything 'important' that I need to say to my guild mates across two platforms but I do it. As a 'casual' medium-sized guild we can't afford to miss out on otherwise consistent and dependable players with strong rosters simply due to someone's unwillingness to install an additional app on their phone. But the fact that they don't get discord notifications makes comms difficult, and the inability to push a notification (barring inbox messages) adds another layer of frustration for guild leadership that can't rely solely on discord.

A visual indicator (red dot or whatever) that doesn't rely on the user checking their inbox would be a great help and seems like low hanging fruit from a development standpoint. I think it would make a significant difference in guilds that want to encourage participation with or without discord - not to mention the benefits it would give to rank and file players that don't want to miss out on new messages. Ideally this would toggle on any new incoming message from a channel other than the default guild channel, and perhaps a markup flag included in the message (similar to how we might use bold or text color attributes) could toggle it for a specific message in the default guild channel.

* This is a big one actually - harassment isn't something we tolerate on our guild discord but that being said, it's never been a problem - not even once that I know of. But I've had guild mates come to me and tell me they won't be joining discord because of previous bad experiences with bullying or harassment from guild mates (from previous guilds) or shard mates. These people deserve a place to enjoy the game (i.e. a guild and/or discord environment that doesn't tolerate this nonsense) as much as anyone else but apparently civility and human decency are too much to ask of some people.

All very true!
    I also would like to add, that not everyone even uses Discord. Our guild discord is also not very much used.
    We have a WhatsApp group and most of our members are german. In Germany WhatsApp is widely used so most of our german members don't want to or don't see the need in using Discord.

I always try to copy our most important stuff to Discord for our international members but as said, many of the german members don't engage on that server and it is and never was mandatory in our guild to use Discord. 2 years ago the guild didn't even have a Discord server. We only implemented it after we got international members whom were asking for it.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • I totally understand that discord is exactly designed to do what I’m asking of SWGOH, but I don’t love needing a lifter app to make this one better =). Just hook it up with a red dot!

Although I prefer typing with the phone in portrait mode, so I guess there’s one point for discord.