Farming pilots early... why not?

So i've been following the conventional path and have unlocked the Pheonix squadron and once I get them all up to 5 stars or so I will probably use them to replace my squad arena team etc. I also went ahead and started farming up teebo as he is quite good at rancor (although I'm curious if Moff Gideon is better?) I have been wrestling a lot with who I should be farming in the hard nodes and have been farming that Greef Karga node pretty hard because it has two different character shard drops (Karga and Ig-11), and have also been farming some Jedi Consular on the hard nodes a bit as well.

My question at this point... is why wouldn't I just go ahead and start farming characters that I wouldn't normally farm just to boost performance in future ship battles (I just started a new account after years away from the game). I have the pheonix squad... I am probably going to forego the FO farm and instead focus on empire/ rebels next, I don't really car much for grand master yoda just yet, and I'm farming teebo and eventually tie fighter pilot for the rancor. So.... why in the world wouldn't someone just start grabbing characters/ improving characters that will be used in fleet battles. I guess the one thing I could be missing is territory battles /geonosians??

What ya'll think. Also... thanks to everyone for making this community 100x's better than the one on reddit... lmao.

Replies

• crzydroid
    7283 posts Moderator
    It's an old guide indeed that told you to get Teebo for Rancor. That raid isn't really a concern anymore and there are much better characters (such as CLS).

You do need Ewoks for C-3PO, and Teebo is fine for that even though most people will say to leave him out. However, Wicket and Logray are mists for that event if you want to do it with minimum gear.
  • Thanks crzydroid, I take it Moff Gideon is better / as good for rancor as is teebo? And more to the point, is it logical to start farming up pilots within the first few weeks of the game if I've got pheonix squad setup and improving?
  • It is logical to gear up pilots to get ready for ships, although consular and wedge aren't great ships, biggs to go with your rebels is good, but bounty hunters are excellent for several reasons, 1, needed for executor, 2, needed for Han's falcon, 3, Bossk and Hounds Tooth is the best tank in the game and is very hard to kill in the early stages of fleet.

Farming the crewless ships is good, vulture, hyena, tie bomber and both y-wings.

If you're getting get2 currency, pick either malevolence or negotiator and farm either geos to go with vulture/hyena for your malevolence fleet, or Jedi Knight Anakin, Ahsoka (snips), 5s and plo koon (low gear is fine, you need his reinforcement ability) to form your core republic fleet. Don't gear up Mace for his ship, he's a useful character since his rework but the ship is still trash.
  • Also, Gideon is a better character than teebo, but as crzydroid mentioned, Commander Luke Skywalker (CLS) is a much better character for the pit raid, especially considering you're going down the empire/rebels path. CLS can solo the entire pit raid and he's still an awesome character at the end game too.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Will echo the "wow whatever guide you're following is super old" sentiment. Definitely stop worrying about Teebo asap, he's fully useless at this point.

I don't know if there's even really a "best" path anymore, given the crazy amount of content that's out now compared to when non-challenge Rancor was worth following a guide for.

As far as "skipping" straight to pilots, I will applaud the decision to not neglect fleets, as a lot of people tend to decide that "ships are dumb" for whatever reason and screw themselves over. That said, I don't know if focusing solely on fleets super early is the best idea either. There's a LOT of squads to build and laser focusing on pilots won't really give you any complete ones.

Early on I'd say you might want to look at working on the requirements for Han's Falcon and use it under Home One, as that's still a pretty decent fleet to work with, won't take you years to grind for, and building the Bounty Hunter fleet will get you somewhat on the path to Executor. Using your GET2, if you're getting any, for Negotiator is also a good idea (Malevolence hasn't aged nearly as well).
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Don't even consider building teams for Normal Rancor. You're probably a new player but normal Rancor is simmed later on and going to be taken out completely here in the future. That guide you're looking at is very old and outdated
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    Will echo the "wow whatever guide you're following is super old" sentiment. Definitely stop worrying about Teebo asap, he's fully useless at this point.

I don't know if there's even really a "best" path anymore, given the crazy amount of content that's out now compared to when non-challenge Rancor was worth following a guide for.

As far as "skipping" straight to pilots, I will applaud the decision to not neglect fleets, as a lot of people tend to decide that "ships are dumb" for whatever reason and screw themselves over. That said, I don't know if focusing solely on fleets super early is the best idea either. There's a LOT of squads to build and laser focusing on pilots won't really give you any complete ones.

Early on I'd say you might want to look at working on the requirements for Han's Falcon and use it under Home One, as that's still a pretty decent fleet to work with, won't take you years to grind for, and building the Bounty Hunter fleet will get you somewhat on the path to Executor. Using your GET2, if you're getting any, for Negotiator is also a good idea (Malevolence hasn't aged nearly as well).

Yea this post makes a lot of sense to me and echo's what I was thinking to a large degree. I'm definitely going with your advice to not SOLELY farm pilots.. I'm going to focus a lot on pheonix as well. But like you said, so many people "skip" pilots/ don't promote them/ don't gear them and then they are screwed in fleet battles and it seems as though fleet currency is really **** important. I got Dooku from a bronzium today so that helps me solidify my decision to grab separatists (geos), pheonix, and at least some empire. The game gives you so much in the way of rebels but I'm still farming up a little Lando as well.