Is it worth saving crystals up to buy shards for characters only found on nodes?

Basically the title. I’ve been farming Greef, Mando and other such characters for a bit and occasionally see them pop up in the store - earlier Greef was in there, 32 shards for 1,280 crystals. Is it worth saving up and just buying the shards outright rather than chancing it on the nodes everyday with refreshes? Maybe I’m just impatient but it seems like it’ll be a quicker method.

Replies

• Nomis
    33 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Personally, I would test 100-200 Crystal refresh and see how many shards you get from that then work out which is the best value.

Edit: example I just did 100 crystal refresh and got 5 shards for Krrsantan vs. 16 shards costing 1,280 in Shipments.
    Post edited by Nomis on
  • Georgee
    77 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Hunter4721 wrote: »
    Maybe I’m just impatient but it seems like it’ll be a quicker method.

It is indeed quicker but more expensive than using the crystal for refreshes of energy, especially the first three cheapest refreshes. Up to you if you want to spend crystals to get some time though, it's just a game after all.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Nomis wrote: »
    Personally, I would test 100-200 Crystal refresh and see how many shards you get from that then work out which is the best value.

Edit: example I just did 100 crystal refresh and got 5 shards for Krrsantan vs. 16 shards costing 1,280 in Shipments.

No need to test. You will average around 33% drop rate per sim.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Hunter4721 wrote: »
    32 shards for 1,280 crystals. Is it worth saving up and just buying the shards outright rather than chancing it on the nodes everyday with refreshes?

Faster? Sure.

Cheaper? OH NO, not even close.

32 @ 1280 is 40 Crystals for 1 Shard.

50 Crystals for a 120 Refresh is well over what you need for a node at 60-100 energy per Node for 5 sims.

5 Sims nets you an "average" of 3.33 Shard on Double Shard or 1.67 Shard for new characters.

So to break the math down at an average of an 80 energy node.

50 Crystals = 120 Energy so 1 "sim-5" of 80 Energy is 33.33 "Crystals".

Which at 3.33 "shards" per 5-Sim is 10 Crystals per Shard........ PLUS all the other stuff in that node like Credits, Gear, 2nd Character/Ship, etc etc.

10 Crystals + Other Stuff
    v/s
    40 Crystals.

Not even close to a good deal to Buy them.

But it will be faster.

PS. This game is not about doing things "fast".
    Its a slow grind farm resources game.

PPS. Someone feel free to correct my math, it was done fast but I believe I did that right above.
  • Revan110
    111 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    The only time I spend crystals for shards is Shaak Ti because it is linked to hard fleet battle 9 something, and Wicket as it takes forever to get him that I am seeing.

You need to keep earning crystals however not spend actual money for them.

https://swgoh.gg/p/154917131/