GAC "Matchmaking"

Replies

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    Make GAC more enjoyable and the big rosters might actually participate and not fall to the scrub ranks ;) . Problem solved.

What about GAC isn't enjoyable?.... I typically respect your opinion, but it's literally a straightforward roster VS. roster battle... If your roster and skills are better you should win... What could be simpler?

I hate platoons, defense is just platoons, units you dump resources into and don't use.
    I am also not a PvP person, never really liked it.
    I just really don't enjoy TW or GAC.
    I don't really have an idea to make it more enjoyable, but I just don't like the format.

There are reasons I am sure these big accounts are not doing GAC and just dropping, my guess would be probably be something to do with the enjoyment factor.

I get others really like these game modes. They are also a necessary evil (for me) so I do TW and some what do GAC.

Platoons in GAC? Wrong game mode man....

Some big rosters drop in GAC because they can whale for the rewards so they dont care.Some drop because they don't enjoy the game mode (will give you that, not a huge TW fan myselfso I don't enjoy all modes either)....

That being said, the lower roster dudes should be happy they get as high as they do because the big roster guys drop...

If it weren't for that, and if everyone was using their rosters to the full potential and being super competitive then these low roster guys would be nowehere near where they are...

They should be happy and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth rather than whining about the few super high roster guys that actually beat them in a round...

Defense is essentially platoons in GAC and TW.

IMO the skill based system isn't perfect, however it is way better than the old GP based, which encouraged not boosting rosters. This one allows people to hit and get rewards above thier "GP weight."

Should there be more factors in it, sure but the more you complicate things the more stuff breaks.
  • tohn
    18 posts Member
    Make GAC more enjoyable and the big rosters might actually participate and not fall to the scrub ranks ;) . Problem solved.

What about GAC isn't enjoyable?.... I typically respect your opinion, but it's literally a straightforward roster VS. roster battle... If your roster and skills are better you should win... What could be simpler?

I hate platoons, defense is just platoons, units you dump resources into and don't use.
    I don't really have an idea to make it more enjoyable, but I just don't like the format.

There are reasons I am sure these big accounts are not doing GAC and just dropping, my guess would be probably be something to do with the enjoyment factor.

I get others really like these game modes. They are also a necessary evil (for me) so I do TW and some what do GAC.

Some big rosters drop in GAC because they can whale for the rewards so they dont care.Some drop because they don't enjoy the game mode (will give you that, not a huge TW fan myselfso I don't enjoy all modes either)....

That being said, the lower roster dudes should be happy they get as high as they do because the big roster guys drop...

If it weren't for that, and if everyone was using their rosters to the full potential and being super competitive then these low roster guys would be nowehere near where they are...

They should be happy and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth rather than whining about the few super high roster guys that actually beat them in a round...

i still dont agree with u
    if big rosters doesnt drop we will just be matched vs equal opponents
    the winrate doesnt have anything do to with all this
  • tohn wrote: »

OK, so what do you want more? To be matched against players at or near your skill level for lower rewards so that you can have a better win rate or to occasionally get matched against a higher level player and lose but get better rewards in general? You can't have it both ways....
  • scuba wrote: »

Defense is essentially platoons in GAC and TW.

IMO the skill based system isn't perfect, however it is way better than the old GP based, which encouraged not boosting rosters. This one allows people to hit and get rewards above thier "GP weight."

Should there be more factors in it, sure but the more you complicate things the more stuff breaks.

I agree 100%
  • tohn
    18 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    tohn wrote: »

OK, so what do you want more? To be matched against players at or near your skill level for lower rewards so that you can have a better win rate or to occasionally get matched against a higher level player and lose but get better rewards in general? You can't have it both ways....

dude.. why do u think this will change the winrate or the rewards ?

(and also "occasionally " it not the right word in my history)
  • tohn
    18 posts Member
    from the history that .gg remember ( the last 3 seasons, so 27 enemies) here is the range of the enemies
    -4M - 2
    4-5M - 3
    5-6M -10
    6-7M - 6
    7-8M - 4
    +8M - 2

so will it be that bad to remove the 7M+ ..

It's not rocket science.... If you are facing bigger rosters and your win rate is starting to drop that means you have maxed out at where your roster can take you at this point...

Keep growing your roster and you will eventually get a better win rate, it's pretty simple...
    from the history that .gg remember ( the last 3 seasons, so 27 enemies) here is the range of the enemies
    -4M - 2
    4-5M - 3
    5-6M -10
    6-7M - 6
    7-8M - 4
    +8M - 2

What level are you at?.... And, good for you that you are doing well enough to get matched up with those higher opponents ...

If these large rosters played like they should, you would lose more until you dropped into a range where your roster was closer to the average. It would most likely be in a lower division (or league) where you will get less rewards. Eventually you would get back to a 50% win rate, but I doubt you’d be happier.

These crap players are doing you a favor.

If these large rosters played like they should, you would lose more until you dropped into a range where your roster was closer to the average. It would most likely be in a lower division (or league) where you will get less rewards. Eventually you would get back to a 50% win rate, but I doubt you’d be happier.

Yes!
  • tohn
    18 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    -4M - 2
    4-5M - 3
    5-6M -10
    6-7M - 6
    7-8M - 4
    +8M - 2

What level are you at?.... And, good for you that you are doing well enough to get matched up with those higher opponents ...

4.3M atm
  • tohn
    18 posts Member

and what if im in this range but im just matched vs similar gp accounts in the same range?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member

and what if im in this range but im just matched vs similar gp accounts in the same range?

Then you should be competing in a division with lower rewards....

Essentially, what the fella you quoted and I are saying is that you can't expect to compete against lower level rosters only and expect to get the same rewards as higher level roster players....

I will use myself as an example.... I am 7.6....

I buggered up when conquest started because I hated (and still hate) conquest. .. That has held me back from getting CAT...

Essentially speaking, if my opponent puts jmk with CAT down in a front territory, it's super hard for me to get past it....

Should I expect to only get placed against someone who doesn't have CAT so my win rate goes up? Should I then expect the same rewards as the player who went through the effort to grind conquest to get CAT when I didn't?
  • tohn
    18 posts Member
    edited March 2023

Essentially, what the fella you quoted and I are saying is that you can't expect to compete against lower level rosters only and expect to get the same rewards as higher level roster players....

I buggered up when conquest started because I hated (and still hate) conquest. .. That has held me back from getting CAT...

Essentially speaking, if my opponent puts jmk with CAT down in a front territory, it's super hard for me to get past it....

Should I expect to only get placed against someone who doesn't have CAT so my win rate goes up? Should I then expect the same rewards as the player who went through the effort to grind conquest to get CAT when I didn't?

the division is based on participation also, not only on GP
    so i think its okay for an active lowe gp account to take the same rewards as someone higher that is not so active

still belive that some gp limitations would make it abit better - to just remove the situations "if he attack he win".
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member

so i think its okay for an active lowe gp account to take the same rewards as someone higher that is not so active

still belive that some gp limitations would make it abit better - to just remove the situations "if he attack he win".

I don't want to come off as argumentative so I will just leave it at this.... It's a competition, winners deserve better rewards, people who built bigger rosters deserve to be able to win...

You should be proud that, at your gp level, you have worked your way up to where you are getting good rewards and facing these guys.... That's a win in and of itself ... You probably weren't around for the old GA matchmaking system or don't remember it.... It was similar to what you are asking for and older players ended up getting penalized for having gp tied up in toons that were no longer relevant.... It was about as good as the tw matchmaking system is :)
  • tohn
    18 posts Member

I don't want to come off as argumentative so I will just leave it at this.... It's a competition, winners deserve better rewards, people who built bigger rosters deserve to be able to win...

You should be proud that, at your gp level, you have worked your way up to where you are getting good rewards and facing these guys.... That's a win in and of itself ... You probably weren't around for the old GA matchmaking system or don't remember it.... It was similar to what you are asking for and older players ended up getting penalized for having gp tied up in toons that were no longer relevant.... It was about as good as the tw matchmaking system is :)

ye i wasnt around back then, so probably u are right.
    and thanks :)
    still dont understand how this will get and easier win ?
    I keep pointing that the winrate wont be changed, only the user experience.
    It is actually very simple...if you win 50% against guys with 2/3M advantage over you, your win rate versus guys with same GP will be MASSIVELY superior. And bear in mind that the guys with same GP that you meet RIGHT NOW are those as skilled as you, that also win versus stronger opponents.
    Back in the GP matchmaking days i was playing for #1 every match and i was not a very good player at the time...it was easy to get the second prize so i didn't care much. MANY players dont really take the time to learn how to play GAC, so half your opponents would be easy to win as they would make blunders on attack and defense.
    I REALLY HAD TO LEARN the game after they changed matchmaking...and BTW, the EXPERIENCE also changed a lot...for the better. I WIN MUCH LESS, but i now have more fun when i do...wins have to be won...they are no longer given to me.
    (Of course this assumes that a lot of players dont know and dont care how to play GAC, but spending the days hammering on them is not my idea of fun...)
    And another issue. Rosters cannot be "trimmed down"...there are "optimal" rosters out there that are unbeatable by anyone at same GP that did not do a similar optimization...some 3M GP with 2GLs (and the supporting cast) for instance...

• BubbaFett wrote: »

Two things:

1. When scuba said "platoons", he meant (and correct me if I'm wrong Scuba) that setting Defense in GAC is like setting Platoons in TB. You gotta read that again, Bubba, and understand what he means.

2. It's not about the rewards for these folks. You keep saying that they should be happy with the rewards and they shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth....and you're right about the REWARDS; but what you are missing is that THEY ARE NOT HAVING FUN. That is the point most are trying to make. You are substituting Rewards for Fun.

I'm sure they love the rewards, I do too when my opponents don't attack. Is it as fun? No, it is not.

Just take a moment to look at it from THEIR point of view, not yours. I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it that way. I'm hopefully capturing the spirit of their argument about the fun side.

• el_mago wrote: »

Two things:

1. When scuba said "platoons", he meant (and correct me if I'm wrong Scuba) that setting Defense in GAC is like setting Platoons in TB. You gotta read that again, Bubba, and understand what he means.

2. It's not about the rewards for these folks. You keep saying that they should be happy with the rewards and they shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth....and you're right about the REWARDS; but what you are missing is that THEY ARE NOT HAVING FUN. That is the point most are trying to make. You are substituting Rewards for Fun.

I'm sure they love the rewards, I do too when my opponents don't attack. Is it as fun? No, it is not.

Just take a moment to look at it from THEIR point of view, not yours. I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it that way. I'm hopefully capturing the spirit of their argument about the fun side.

The issue is that in order to create a viable system which enables them to have fun that will inevitably be balanced in a way which means they receive less in rewards. If that’s what such players want then that’s fine, but they need to understand that that’s the trade-off.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    el_mago wrote: »

Two things:

Understood on the platoons thing... my bad :)

I am 100% with you in that I agree that the game should be fun. I just was lucky enough to have one of the closest GAC battles I had ever had and it was a really fun experience... I won after my lowly Nightsisters were the only team I had left and they held for 13 battles! NOt that my opponent was a bad player or couldn't beat NS, he underestimated the Asajj Omi and didn't have a counter left in his roster. I messaged him and we had fun chatting, it was great. I too wish they were all competitive and fun like that, but they aren't.

While I am with you on "fun", what do you propose? There is a lot more to this game than GP, Squad composition is way more important. Would you propose we go back to the old system and folks of equal GP get matched? Were you around when it was like this? People used to not be able to have fun growing characters they liked or wanted to experiment with because it would raise their GP and they would get put up against someone with similar GP but a much "better" more streamlined roster that had all of the latest and greatest on it and no "fluff"... That certainly wasn't fun, it was terrible.

Maybe "look a gift horse in mouth" is less accurate than "be careful what you wish for"...
    d6nm8sr7o0cp.png
    when im at 4.2M GP why i have to face 8M accounts??
    what am i supposed to do.. how can i win??
    its getting ridiculous.

they’re in the same league cos they’re neglecting GAC or their account, so you’re fairly likely to get a win with 10 points because of their inactivity
  • they’re in the same league cos they’re neglecting GAC or their account, so you’re fairly likely to get a win with 10 points because of their inactivity
    Yes. And on a league where only 8M GPs would play they would also neglect GAC and provide the 10 points.
    I dare to predict that if matchmaking was made by GP the number of players neglecting their accounts would INCREASE considearbly...as many players (either new or simply not good) would be losing constantly. AS IT IS NOW those "weaker" players will eventually go down to a league where they can win and will keep playing...

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Ghost666 wrote: »
    they’re in the same league cos they’re neglecting GAC or their account, so you’re fairly likely to get a win with 10 points because of their inactivity
    Yes. And on a league where only 8M GPs would play they would also neglect GAC and provide the 10 points.
    I dare to predict that if matchmaking was made by GP the number of players neglecting their accounts would INCREASE considearbly...as many players (either new or simply not good) would be losing constantly. AS IT IS NOW those "weaker" players will eventually go down to a league where they can win and will keep playing...

You would also have players not fulling developing their rosters to keep the "slim" GP for better match ups, along with the dumb practice of removing mods and anything else a player could do to remove GP.
    How do I know, because we had it before. No game mode should encourage to not fully develop your roster.
  • Matchnaking has too many dynamics that it will never reach a universal agreement. If you dont like it, set defences, do one attack and be at peace with what skill rating rewards earned.

If you are continually punch above your weight you will eventually meet those who decide to drop. Wish everyone would stop whining, i hate pvp but ill do it to an extent but it doesnt define the rest of the game for me.
  • el_mago
    748 posts Member

Two things:

I am 100% with you in that I agree that the game should be fun. I just was lucky enough to have one of the closest GAC battles I had ever had and it was a really fun experience... I won after my lowly Nightsisters were the only team I had left and they held for 13 battles! NOt that my opponent was a bad player or couldn't beat NS, he underestimated the Asajj Omi and didn't have a counter left in his roster. I messaged him and we had fun chatting, it was great. I too wish they were all competitive and fun like that, but they aren't.

While I am with you on "fun", what do you propose? There is a lot more to this game than GP, Squad composition is way more important. Would you propose we go back to the old system and folks of equal GP get matched? Were you around when it was like this? People used to not be able to have fun growing characters they liked or wanted to experiment with because it would raise their GP and they would get put up against someone with similar GP but a much "better" more streamlined roster that had all of the latest and greatest on it and no "fluff"... That certainly wasn't fun, it was terrible.

Maybe "look a gift horse in mouth" is less accurate than "be careful what you wish for"...

Ah, heck, i got nothing to propose to make it more fun for those individuals - I do empathize with them though. I personally think they're barking up the wrong tree as I DO NOT think the previous GAC experience was very fun at all even though I had one of those fairly streamlined rosters. I just didn't win very much. I very much enjoy GAC as it is.

I am routinely the lowest or 2nd lowest in my bracket, but still manage to win most days (for reference, since they revamped GAC in Dec 2022, I have a 84-67 record).

And I really, really hope we don't have to go back to the old way just to "prove" to some of these folks that it was (in my opinion) a terrible way to do matchmaking.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited March 2023

Two things:

Ah, heck, i got nothing to propose to make it more fun for those individuals - I do empathize with them though. I personally think they're barking up the wrong tree as I DO NOT think the previous GAC experience was very fun at all even though I had one of those fairly streamlined rosters. I just didn't win very much. I very much enjoy GAC as it is.

I am routinely the lowest or 2nd lowest in my bracket, but still manage to win most days (for reference, since they revamped GAC in Dec 2022, I have a 84-67 record).

And I really, really hope we don't have to go back to the old way just to "prove" to some of these folks that it was (in my opinion) a terrible way to do matchmaking.

I have really liked either version.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    The only thing I could possibly think of would be to split GAC up into shards like the arenas, done by join date.... Even that would have it's pros and cons....
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    The only thing I could possibly think of would be to split GAC up into shards like the arenas, done by join date.... Even that would have it's pros and cons....

They would have to be massive shards, but i wouldn’t mind trying again and adapting against the same guy i’ve already faced.
  • But the shards have to be gp based.
  • Join date is the wrong solution because it means anyone who takes any kind of break is screwed.