GAC "Matchmaking"

Replies

• BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    But the shards have to be gp based.

GP base doesn't work, it penalizes people for upping characters that aren't in the meta or "useful"
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Join date is the wrong solution because it means anyone who takes any kind of break is screwed.

Well, TBH, this isn't the kind of game where you can take a long break and just expect to pick up where you left off, but I do see your point... Again, I don't have all the answers either :)
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

GP base doesn't work, it penalizes people for upping characters that aren't in the meta or "useful"

GP based shards is basically what there was before. It’s just not a good system as it prevents people using their resources. I think my GP grew by about 15% as soon as they changed to the new system and I wasn’t keeping it artificially low.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg

GP based shards is basically what there was before. It’s just not a good system as it prevents people using their resources. I think my GP grew by about 15% as soon as they changed to the new system and I wasn’t keeping it artificially low.

ok my bad
  • GP shards seems at first glance, I grant you, like the best solution. But the problem is that the best approach for GP based GAC (slim rosters focused on meta with no wasted GP) clashes with every other part of the game where more GP is generally better. Gaming the system to boost GP after the first week was also a big problem and meant even those leagues weren’t always really fair match ups. Not sure if there is a better solution than what we have which would be possible to implement.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • GP shards seems at first glance, I grant you, like the best solution. But the problem is that the best approach for GP based GAC (slim rosters focused on meta with no wasted GP) clashes with every other part of the game where more GP is generally better. Gaming the system to boost GP after the first week was also a big problem and meant even those leagues weren’t always really fair match ups. Not sure if there is a better solution than what we have which would be possible to implement.

Ya, but when i thought abt shards and skill points i thought gp might be better. i would
    not want to be going crazy in the recent battles and then get stuck with people with far more GLs than me. If they were to be made shards, maybe just immediately implant that system with no warning to not let people adjust their teams. then within the shards make the matchups skill point based.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    GP shards seems at first glance, I grant you, like the best solution. But the problem is that the best approach for GP based GAC (slim rosters focused on meta with no wasted GP) clashes with every other part of the game where more GP is generally better. Gaming the system to boost GP after the first week was also a big problem and meant even those leagues weren’t always really fair match ups. Not sure if there is a better solution than what we have which would be possible to implement.

Ya, but when i thought abt shards and skill points i thought gp might be better. i would
    not want to be going crazy in the recent battles and then get stuck with people with far more GLs than me. If they were to be made shards, maybe just immediately implant that system with no warning to not let people adjust their teams. then within the shards make the matchups skill point based.

Again, I certainly don't have all of the answers but I will say this.... There is always a bigger fish....

Not saying this is you, but far too many people also want to be handed easy wins and farm willy nilly and exxpect to be handed matchups for valuable gear / crystals without putting in any thought or effort....

It's resource management game, manage them poorly and don't expect to do well...
  • The devs should accept that they misjudged the Skill Rating formula, reset the entire player base’s skill rankings according to GP, and start again. This time with a formula that ensures inactive 9M GP accounts don’t plummet as fast as they did before.
  • The devs should accept that they misjudged the Skill Rating formula, reset the entire player base’s skill rankings according to GP, and start again. This time with a formula that ensures inactive 9M GP accounts don’t plummet as fast as they did before.

Being inactive shouldn't make you plummet?..... What?
  • I think the main problem is inactive/disinterested players falling lower than they are intended to be. The current system is great if every player does their best every time.

I think the lower leagues should be protected from these players to keep it fun for newer entrants to the system.

Here's my solution: create a gp floor for each league. If you are over a certain gp, you can't fall out of that league, once you have climbed into it.

A problem with this would be that players moving up could meet an ocean of these inactive accounts that may be impossible to beat, or horrible to come through. Further solution: players above the gp floor limit can still get a lower and lower skill rating, down to a lower limit well below the entry skill rating for the division. So you end up with a pile of big low activity accounts with a skill rating about, let's say, 300 below the points where a player that just climbed into the league starts. The player will immediately only be encountering active accounts, with maybe the odd person diving into the obscurity pool. The main thing is that these plunging accounts don't ruin the fun in the lower leagues.

Players who decide to become active again will take almost a full GAC month to climb back to the competitive area, if they want to. Players that just get 10 points per fight, or don't sign up at all, hang out in the obscurity pool, away from everyone trying to enjoy the game mode.

I don't think I'd have a kyber obscurity pool, but probably having one for brozium, chromium and aurodium would help with this problem.
  • I think the main problem is inactive/disinterested players falling lower than they are intended to be. The current system is great if every player does their best every time.

I think the lower leagues should be protected from these players to keep it fun for newer entrants to the system.

Here's my solution: create a gp floor for each league. If you are over a certain gp, you can't fall out of that league, once you have climbed into it.

A problem with this would be that players moving up could meet an ocean of these inactive accounts that may be impossible to beat, or horrible to come through. Further solution: players above the gp floor limit can still get a lower and lower skill rating, down to a lower limit well below the entry skill rating for the division. So you end up with a pile of big low activity accounts with a skill rating about, let's say, 300 below the points where a player that just climbed into the league starts. The player will immediately only be encountering active accounts, with maybe the odd person diving into the obscurity pool. The main thing is that these plunging accounts don't ruin the fun in the lower leagues.

Players who decide to become active again will take almost a full GAC month to climb back to the competitive area, if they want to. Players that just get 10 points per fight, or don't sign up at all, hang out in the obscurity pool, away from everyone trying to enjoy the game mode.

I don't think I'd have a kyber obscurity pool, but probably having one for brozium, chromium and aurodium would help with this problem.

Why kyber?..... Why Aurodium, bronzium, chromium?..... Why not create Turnipium?.... I say force all of these incative players into a pool where they have to compete against themselves?

The devs should accept that they misjudged the Skill Rating formula, reset the entire player base’s skill rankings according to GP, and start again. This time with a formula that ensures inactive 9M GP accounts don’t plummet as fast as they did before.

The forums are full of threads from newer players facing accounts much larger than them with multiple GLs, just because those players have stopped playing GAC for a while and plummeted.

This is a problem. The game must at least try to make things encouraging for newer players. Being presented with matchups like that, for a newer player, may have a hugely detrimental impact on new player retention.

This is one of the best thought out suggestions I’ve seen.
    The devs should accept that they misjudged the Skill Rating formula, reset the entire player base’s skill rankings according to GP, and start again. This time with a formula that ensures inactive 9M GP accounts don’t plummet as fast as they did before.

The forums are full of threads from newer players facing accounts much larger than them with multiple GLs, just because those players have stopped playing GAC for a while and plummeted.

This is a problem. The game must at least try to make things encouraging for newer players. Being presented with matchups like that, for a newer player, may have a hugely detrimental impact on new player retention.

I apologize.... Maybe should have included a sarcasm emoji or something somewhere... If it wree up to me, the inactives would go to inactive puragtory and have to face eachother :)
  • i like the GP based thing that WinterWolves said. Maybe if you make it into bronzium then you stay there until you move to chromium but you bounce around the levels (I-V i forget what they are called) based on skill rating
  • i like the GP based thing that WinterWolves said. Maybe if you make it into bronzium then you stay there until you move to chromium but you bounce around the levels (I-V i forget what they are called) based on skill rating

Again, can't be GP based... been there done that, got the ****
    i like the GP based thing that WinterWolves said. Maybe if you make it into bronzium then you stay there until you move to chromium but you bounce around the levels (I-V i forget what they are called) based on skill rating

Again, can't be GP based... been there done that, got the ****

Ok well then ig this is the best system
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    I think the main problem is inactive/disinterested players falling lower than they are intended to be. The current system is great if every player does their best every time.

I like most of this idea, only real issue I see is whatever method you come up with for inactivity will either in accurately flag people that just suck and put them in purgatory or players will game the system to stay out of purgatory.
  • scuba wrote: »
    I think the main problem is inactive/disinterested players falling lower than they are intended to be. The current system is great if every player does their best every time.

I like most of this idea, only real issue I see is whatever method you come up with for inactivity will either in accurately flag people that just suck and put them in purgatory or players will game the system to stay out of purgatory.

Or if they suck that bad they will just go to hell and be eternally cut off from GAC. well maybe some wouldn’t consider that hell…
  • what if there was an incentive like 25 crystals for first attack or 10 crystals for all (all first attacks on a specific squad) attacks. this could get more people to fight (though not all), and it would make being in a higher league more valuable, since there are more squads placed the higher the league.
  • or 10 crystals to every squad you beat.
  • E3P0
    109 posts Member
    el_mago wrote: »

... It's not about the rewards for these folks. You keep saying that they should be happy with the rewards and they shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth....and you're right about the REWARDS; but what you are missing is that THEY ARE NOT HAVING FUN. That is the point most are trying to make. You are substituting Rewards for Fun.

I'm sure they love the rewards, I do too when my opponents don't attack. Is it as fun? No, it is not.

Just take a moment to look at it from THEIR point of view, not yours. I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it that way. I'm hopefully capturing the spirit of their argument about the fun side.

Fine, if this is their position/point of view, then there's an incredibly clear and obvious solution to that: intentionally drop to a lower skill rating. Just sit out like every other GAC or something (consider it a break/time off) and they'll steadily start dropping divisions, and in general in those lower divisions they will get matched up more often against gps closer to their own, which are matches they should dominate. If they truly care less about rewards and more about fun then they will have no major problem with this. If they continue to be unhappy then that's just them being disingenuous. As the other person replying to you said, they can't have it both ways.
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    What if there is no matchmaking and we are placed without any gp and any skill rating from anywhere around the galaxy
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    What if there is no matchmaking and we are placed without any gp and any skill rating from anywhere around the galaxy

RNG matchmaking! Sounds fun. Let's do it.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member

And you think there are mismatch complaints now.... :)

Why kyber?..... Why Aurodium, bronzium, chromium?..... Why not create Turnipium?.... I say force all of these incative players into a pool where they have to compete against themselves?

Because kyber is the premiere league that should only have active players earning those rewards.

I think you maybe misunderstood? The people in the aurodium obscurity pool will still earn aurodium rewards by signing up, doing a single battle and sitting in the obscurity skill range, not bothering any active players.

I'm not suggesting any new league. Maybe it could be an extra division with slightly worse rewards than div5, but at least a good as the league below? But no real need for that complication.

With this plan, barely active players effectively sit off to the side, not ruining anyone's matches anymore. Completely inactive players who restart playing will be able to climb back to a relevant place without stomping thier way through unfortunate smaller players.

If inactive players were just allowed to freefall all the way to turnipium (I assume you mean a league below carbonite), the problems are all the same. People will do just enough to keep rewards they are OK with, being matched with smaller accounts trying their best. Inactive players that decide to play again stomp their way up. Smaller accounts have a bad experience.

Because kyber is the premiere league that should only have active players earning those rewards.

I think you maybe misunderstood? The people in the aurodium obscurity pool will still earn aurodium rewards by signing up, doing a single battle and sitting in the obscurity skill range, not bothering any active players.

I'm not suggesting any new league. Maybe it could be an extra division with slightly worse rewards than div5, but at least a good as the league below? But no real need for that complication.

With this plan, barely active players effectively sit off to the side, not ruining anyone's matches anymore. Completely inactive players who restart playing will be able to climb back to a relevant place without stomping thier way through unfortunate smaller players.

If inactive players were just allowed to freefall all the way to turnipium (I assume you mean a league below carbonite), the problems are all the same. People will do just enough to keep rewards they are OK with, being matched with smaller accounts trying their best. Inactive players that decide to play again stomp their way up. Smaller accounts have a bad experience.

It’s not a bad solution but there is a problem which will affect player progression in lower leagues.

CG won’t want to change the number of crystals overall going into the game through GAC. Thus, if players ended up stacked in Aurodium 6 and Chromium 6 due to inactivity, players from lower divisions will be prevented from moving upwards. CG would manage this by squishing skill ratings just like they do in Kyber. Over time it would become almost impossible for someone to get out of carbonite let alone bronzium. That would probably lead to more ‘fun’ matchups, but would mean rewards were back to being more GP based and would hit new players hardest.
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »

The problems are always going to be the same no matter what solution is implemented... At the end of the day, it's a competition and people who have built bigger better rosters and have played "smart" and have paid their dues deserve to be able to compete for better rewards if they choose to be active, that's just the way it works... You also can't force players to play and, if the stronger players are happier with their weaker rewards then so be it, they are only hurting themselves as, over time, the weaker players that are trying harder will catch up to and eventually pass them...

Being a "smaller player" doesn't make you unfortunate, it just makes you a smaller player... If you think of it, every game mode in SWGOH is designed to reward bigger and better rosters as it should be.. Why should GAC be any different?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    BubbaFett wrote: »

It’s not a bad solution but there is a problem which will affect player progression in lower leagues.

CG won’t want to change the number of crystals overall going into the game through GAC. Thus, if players ended up stacked in Aurodium 6 and Chromium 6 due to inactivity, players from lower divisions will be prevented from moving upwards. CG would manage this by squishing skill ratings just like they do in Kyber. Over time it would become almost impossible for someone to get out of carbonite let alone bronzium. That would probably lead to more ‘fun’ matchups, but would mean rewards were back to being more GP based and would hit new players hardest.

It's not that CG doesn't want to change the amount of crystals going into the game, they don't want to raise the amount of crystals going into the game... For every player that moves down the ladder, one moves up the ladder, there i sno "squishing" necessary...
  • When GAC 2.0 came out, I had an idea I thought could solve the "plummeting huge accounts" issue - just split SR into two ratings. One would be used for matchmaking and only changed from wins/losses when the player actively played. The other one would determine rewards and would get changed from both wins/losses and skipping rounds. That way someone "slacking off" would get less and less rewards, but any time they do decide to play they would be matched against the same level of people they last actively played against.

Then I realized that the idea would only work on paper. The root problem is actually that it is very difficult to come up with a balanced and algorithmically enforceable definition of inactive/active. It's pointless to set the standard too low (e.g. 10 banners) because then everybody can show trivially that they are playing actively. OTOH if it's set too high it could drive away lots of players who can't commit time to the game consistently due to real life reasons.