Star Wars CCG (Customizable Card Game)

Sloth243
183 posts Member
edited May 2023
Did anyone here play / collect the Star Wars card game from the mid 90’s?

I just recently found and looked through the hundreds (if not thousands) of cards

The game itself, was a bit more complex than I was, in my early teens.
But I appreciated and collected them for their individual references to the original movies

Just curious if others collected or played the game

Replies

• Dragoth
    27 posts Member
    Yeah I played all over the country. One of the best CCGs ever.
  • CamaroAMF
    1279 posts Member
    I played. Still have some of my cards.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Honestly, when I first started playing swgoh, my mind wanted to approach it like that game. So when I learned you could just farm any character you want instead of relying on chromiums, it was sort of a revelation (though to be fair, there were a lot of new characters that were chromium only before they made the consistent farming rules, though I did just miss the whole aurodium pack phase).
  • Sloth243
    183 posts Member
    I was never able to find a group of role who had the cards, and would play the game.
    So it mainly became a collecting thing for me.

When I stopped, years ago, I think it was at the cloud city, or special edition variety.

I can’t remember exactly, but they had cards, at that time, of units that are still newish in swgoh like BH Lando and Leia
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    It was definitely a game where you needed someone to play with. I think I first ordered some cards from Premiere Edition or if a comics catalogue. I tried playing one or twice with my family, but that never really went anywhere. Then when school started again, I met the kid who would be my best friend throughout high school and college and he also had some cards. So I mostly played with him and our other friend, and his brother and his friends. Our local store also had tournaments we would go to.

Character-wise, yes, that game absolutely trumped what this game has--just every random side character like Boshek. Anyone who was remotely seen in any of the movies could be a playable card in that game. I don't necessarily fault this game for not having quite as many, because it's a different beast. And already there are so many unused characters in GAC (not that the majority of your cards didn't go unused in that game with only a 60-card deck, but it seems more noticeable here).

Actually, again, one of the ways this game for its holds into me is because of Stormtrooper Han, because TK-422 was one of the cards I had.
  • Sloth243
    183 posts Member
    Yeah, that’s one of the things I enjoyed about it. I’d find a card and remember them in the movie, and be like “oh he’s a pilot! And a good one. I’m going to add him to my deck
  • nfidel2k
    559 posts Member
    Yup, loved the old Decipher CCG. Until the end, when they started throwing in a bunch of new mechanics just for kicks, like pod racing and light saber combat. My favorite was the Death Star 2 deck - wouldn’t get big wins, but almost always won. That and the A New Secret Base deck.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • There is still a lot of people that play it online: https://www.starwarsccg.org/online-play/
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Etairos wrote: »
    There is still a lot of people that play it online: https://www.starwarsccg.org/online-play/

Are you free to make decks out of any of the cards on that, or do you have to open "packs" and collect them all over again?
  • Sloth243
    183 posts Member
    I was wondering this as well
  • nfidel2k
    559 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Etairos wrote: »
    There is still a lot of people that play it online: https://www.starwarsccg.org/online-play/

Are you free to make decks out of any of the cards on that, or do you have to open "packs" and collect them all over again?

Gemp was pack opening IIRC.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.