Is arena missing a basic component to really be viable?

Sparrow
525 posts Member
Right now I am thinking about two things, no one really runs a Jedi team, and there are lots of dooku teams out there.

This got me thinking you play rock paper scissors and there is a strength and a weakness for each option.

But the overall meta does not really work that way, right now there are characters with specific anti Jedi abilities, but those sets of characters are not themselves weak to any specific group.

In the long run does this cause an inherent shift in theeta and help dictate how arena will flow?

Don't get me wrong it's not overwhelming, but from what I see most people run some Jedi for healing and that's it. While almost everyone has Sid and dooku cause 1) they smash Jedi, and 2) they are not particularly weak themselves.

So if as an example there were characters that had bonuses against sith or scoundrels or first order etc would we see more variety in the meta without there needed to be a mechanics change on characters first, like how the evasion was fixed on dooku?

Replies

• scuba
    14040 posts Member
    Was Qgj lead. As if yesterday on my server the switch to dooku lead was made. I was using him back before the fix. I am now going to take him out.

But yup when an anti dooku/sid/sith team comes out there would be a change again.
  • baevar
    53 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I think what you're getting at, is why aren't there any anti-sith Jedi. Or anti-sith anything, really. Eeth Koth might be strong against droids for instance, but he's garbage against everything else, unlike Sid and Dooku who are incredibly strong against Jedi, but not weak to anything else. They are definitely overpowered in that way, and let's be serious they're in every arena team right now which means they are just plain overpowered period. (Sid less so now though imo, just easy to get and everyone still has him) The outrageous dodge % on Sidious vs Jedi is WAY overdone. I'd like to be in the room when someone thought +35% dodge was a good idea so I could slap them for being so mind-blowingly short-sighted. Maybe half of that dodge increase would be reasonable, maybe. My full Jedi team misses him up to 6 straight times in GW sometimes. With an AI component there's just no way I'd trust the AI playing my team to not to swing and miss at Sid until the match was over. And so then your point becomes that Sid and Dooku are so strong against Jedi and so ubiquitous that no Jedi team is really viable...just because of those 2...which within the lore of Star Wars and taking the game roster into consideration...is really ****. The smart balance move would be to round them out, less overpowered vs. Jedi, slightly stronger against everyone else to compensate (although not Dooku right now, let's be serious)

Because really, having 2 individuals so prevalent in Arena play that are such hard counters to Jedi that no one will fight with a Jedi team in freaking STAR WARS...is just really bad design and is definitely failing to do the franchise justice.

• In a more fully fleshed out game we might see more interesting things, like "ooh rebel team, I should bring in Veers" "Ewok Team, I should use my nightsister squad etc." You get the idea. But the ridiculous amount of money you would need to plunk down to make a viable team that isn't Jedi or nightsister makes it cost prohibitive for the vast majority of players to make a synergy squad. Someone was saying on reddit the other day that they plunked down $500 in this game and still was nowhere near "whale" status. That's effing insane and is to be honest, a scummy business practice. No iOS game in the world is worth $500, but to plunk down that much and still need to spend more? Criminal. The scarcity of resources (droids, $, gear, mats) means it's only really smart to level one team with some subs in the first place. I told myself I was going to farm up an ewok squad when Chirpa came out, then realized it's not actually possible. 2 hard nodes tops means many months of farming. Weeks later and my scout is approaching 2 stars LOL. Sooo ewok, scoundrel, empire, rebel, first order teams aren't viable because they can't be farmed. Which leaves Jedi, Sith, nightsister.

Sigh..I told myself I would support this game because CG =/= EA. But really, EA's incredible, insatiable, world famous greed is ruining this game.
  • Sparrow
    525 posts Member
    baevar wrote: »
    I think what you're getting at, is why aren't there any anti-sith Jedi. Or anti-sith anything, really. Eeth Koth might be strong against droids for instance, but he's garbage against everything else, unlike Sid and Dooku who are incredibly strong against Jedi, but not weak to anything else. They are definitely overpowered in that way, and let's be serious they're in every arena team right now which means they are just plain overpowered period. (Sid less so now though imo, just easy to get and everyone still has him) The outrageous dodge % on Sidious vs Jedi is WAY overdone. I'd like to be in the room when someone thought +35% dodge was a good idea so I could slap them for being so mind-blowingly short-sighted. Maybe half of that dodge increase would be reasonable, maybe. My full Jedi team misses him up to 6 straight times in GW sometimes. With an AI component there's just no way I'd trust the AI playing my team to not to swing and miss at Sid until the match was over. And so then your point becomes that Sid and Dooku are so strong against Jedi and so ubiquitous that no Jedi team is really viable...just because of those 2...which within the lore of Star Wars and taking the game roster into consideration...is really ****. The smart balance move would be to round them out, less overpowered vs. Jedi, slightly stronger against everyone else to compensate (although not Dooku right now, let's be serious)

Because really, having 2 individuals so prevalent in Arena play that are such hard counters to Jedi that no one will fight with a Jedi team in freaking STAR WARS...is just really bad design and is definitely failing to do the franchise justice.
    You definitely got where i was going and better than i did i think. Your final point is most excellent as well, how are a team of Jedi so weak as to be laughed at by everyone in arena.... (and also bad in GW cause its all arena teams)

On another note ive said who cares and im working on an Ewok team anyway, it may never be great but i want it to be fun, who knows maybe it can be my suicide squad in GW