Gac Matchmaking

Replies

• Options
    Brother i am in bronzium 1 with 4.1 million GP and one GL constantly facing guys with 6million plus and 3 or more GLs. (...) Its busted.
    No it isn't. Most players here in forum are in similar situations...we get to play better rosters because we play MORE and play BETTER (on average). We all "converge" on a 50% win ratio or so...including wins vs players that dont play or play oddly.
    Like someone said above...the system is not perfect...but it is better than all suggested alternatives.
    Adjustment by GP would create more problems...short version, small rosters with lots of GLs would crush other rosters, and would create much more unbalaced situations...and in these cases some players would have very low win ratios. Of course some players would get much higher win ratios...not sure if this is what some players really want...

• Options
    I don't think the roster structure is an argument anymore. There used to be a lot of concentrated rosters with few high relic toons. But that doesn't work anymore, because in the various other modes you now have High Relic as a prerequisite. TB battles, TB Platoons, Raid, use of Datacrons, Fleet Meta needs some Garbage Toons etc.
    Nowadays you can't afford to farm only the most necessary stuff to have a good roster for the GAC. If you do that, you end up in worse guilds and therefore get worse rewards at all the guild events, so the extra profit in the GAC is not worth it at all.

Currently, the GAC is definitely a boring mode, without a great competitive approach. It's no fun at all when you win against an account with 2 million more, because you know that you only win because the other one doesn't take it seriously. I'm not happy when I win a race with a VW against a Prosche when the Porsche only drives in third gear.
  • scuba
    14075 posts Member
    Options
    LordHel wrote: »
    I don't think the roster structure is an argument anymore. There used to be a lot of concentrated rosters with few high relic toons. But that doesn't work anymore, because in the various other modes you now have High Relic as a prerequisite. TB battles, TB Platoons, Raid, use of Datacrons, Fleet Meta needs some Garbage Toons etc.
    Nowadays you can't afford to farm only the most necessary stuff to have a good roster for the GAC. If you do that, you end up in worse guilds and therefore get worse rewards at all the guild events, so the extra profit in the GAC is not worth it at all.

Currently, the GAC is definitely a boring mode, without a great competitive approach. It's no fun at all when you win against an account with 2 million more, because you know that you only win because the other one doesn't take it seriously. I'm not happy when I win a race with a VW against a Prosche when the Porsche only drives in third gear.
    But it is. TB has been around longer than GAC. Has always been about bloating GP. Along comes GAC and smaller/trim/slim gp becomes important. Bloating of rosters stops (for some).
  • scuba
    14075 posts Member
    Options
    Just to get it right.
    It is ok to game the match making system with a slim/trim gp so you do not get undesirable match ups.

It is not ok to game the match making system by purposely falling so you do not get undesirable match ups.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Just to get it right.
    It is ok to game the match making system with a slim/trim gp so you do not get undesirable match ups.

It is not ok to game the match making system by purposely falling so you do not get undesirable match ups.

Probably just a difference of opinion, but why do you feel it's not ok to game the system to not get undesirable match-ups. Over time being in a lower division, and the necessary losses in order to stay lower, mean that the net crystal income is less for that player than by staying in a higher division and being competitive. Depending on how low, much less.

The same number of crystals are available daily from CG to the player pool as a whole, so the net effect is that other players end up getting more. One player dropping two leagues could mean ten players are each one div higher. The only outcome from a player deliberately staying in lower divisions by not playing regularly is to slow down their own progress and increase the rewards going to other accounts. To me that's not wrong, even if it is just plain stupid.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Lumiya
    1500 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just to get it right.

Probably just a difference of opinion, but why do you feel it's not ok to game the system to not get undesirable match-ups. Over time being in a lower division, and the necessary losses in order to stay lower, mean that the net crystal income is less for that player than by staying in a higher division and being competitive. Depending on how low, much less.

The same number of crystals are available daily from CG to the player pool as a whole, so the net effect is that other players end up getting more. One player dropping two leagues could mean ten players are each one div higher. The only outcome from a player deliberately staying in lower divisions by not playing regularly is to slow down their own progress and increase the rewards going to other accounts. To me that's not wrong, even if it is just plain stupid.

I think for some players it is more along the lines of how much time/effort they have to invest.

They can either be really out for the max and invest more time/effort and get the max possible rewards or they invest a little less time/effort, get maybe less rewards but still get enough without too much trouble. I think those that stay on purpose lower than they could be prefer the latter.

I don't do it in GAC (although I sometimes only do my mandatory battle if my opponent throws 2+ GLs on def, because I know I will not be able to full clear anyway) but I definitely feel like this in other modes, like the challenges or Conquest for example. Especially in the challenges, if it takes many repeated tries or battles, I just don't feel that the small reward difference is worth it to waste more time and I call it a day. So in a way I do understand why some players might prefer to stay lower in GAC. It just doesn't change the fact that it makes the experience bad for the smaller players whom face them.

Edit for typo
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    See the only thing about ga for me is the fluctuation in ga that I dont get. I move from kyber 3 to arodium for like the last 3 rounds lol. The game just cant seem to find a home for me. This round I will probably be played back in arodium. I have a 8.9 mill account and seem to be always playing opponents with +/- 1 mill or in between. I would say in the higher brackets it def starts to level out better.
  • Options
    This GAC matchmaking system is set up for crystal distribution not competition.

Large GP mismatches were an inevitable consequence of removing GP from matchmaking.
  • Options
    Lumiya wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »
    If you guys want your game to keep new players coming to the game and ACTUALLY STAY sort out the gac matchmaking this matchmaking absolutely sucks I'm at 6 Mill and every gac I have I'm having to face 9-10 mill accounts how can you even expect new players to want to stick around for that let me put it like this I've been playing the game for coming up 3 years now if you think new players are going to want to stick around for 3 years and still at 3 years keep getting pummeled by bigger accounts because your matchmaking sucks then expect sales to keep dwindling you had the right formula for gac with actual proper matchmaking and then you decided to invite datacons and butcher the matchmaking and the numbers drooped I wonder why if you don't want to listen to me I'm sure you can see the numbers yourselves do something

Or maybe you win some of those fights, let’s say around 50%, so you stick in this part of the ladder where you face those 9-10m rosters. If so, then you’re where you’re suppose to be.

Agreed. These posts happen way too often and people always overdramatize things. Like, I understand that fighting against people that have much bigger rosters isn't a particularly great feeling. Trust me, I really do. As someome who is almost exclusively playing bigger rosters I totally understand. But people don't realize that if the system matches 2 players with each other, it sees the battle as equal. That's how the skill rating works. Now equal does not necessarily mean fair, but if 2 players have the same rating, then they are on the same level of performance, statistically, in terms of wins/losses; so the game sees both players as having a 50% chance to win. It doesn't matter if the "weaker" player is ranked too high, or the "stronger" player ranked too low. If 2 players have the same rating then there is always a 50/50 according to the system.

People need to understand that people are at their rank for a reason. It doesn't matter what those reasons are, but there are ALWAYS reasons. People don't magically get teleported to random ranks. They get there because of their performance, whether it's good or bad. If a 4M GP player faces a 11M GP player, there's a 99.99% chance that the 11M player will win if they show up. But based on the fact that these 2 got matched up in the first place, there is also a 99.99% chance that the high level player won't show up for the fight (or else they wouldn't be at such a low rank), which evens it out. This is why not a single matchup is over before it started, regardless of how big or small the roster differences are.

It's ironic how in many of these posts people immediately run to complain to the forums when they see a "bad" matchup, but then end up winning the match because the bigger account didn't show up, and then go quiet in their forum thread because they realize they complained too soon.
    I'm not saying the system is perfect, it's far from it. But it's working fine and as intended. People just need to stop being dramatic and bringing out the pitchforks at the very first opportunity; and just need to reflect on it and think about WHY things are happening. And once they understand what is happening, they will realize it's not as bad as they think it is.

Brother i am in bronzium 1 with 4.1 million GP and one GL constantly facing guys with 6million plus and 3 or more GLs. Whatever you say, doesn't make it okay that someone with 5 galactic legends is my opponent in gac yesterday in bronzium 1. The matchmaking is awful and allows people to stay farther down than they should. Theres no shot you think an active 6 million 5 GL account should still be in bronzium 1. Its busted.

Well having a look at their GAC history would certainly tell a story as to why they are there.

Care to share your allycode so other people can see how bad you have it?

I honestly don't think that it makes a difference why they are there. What does it matter?
    If they play bad, don't play, "sandbag", forget to play etc doesn't change that this is something that should not happen, that it creates unenjoyable matches and that it is not something that just rarely happens. It happens too often throughout every league.

There is no "sandbagging" in GAC.....It doesn't work that way....
  • scuba
    14075 posts Member
    Options
    Just to get it right.

I don't care either way. It seems like the desire of these threads, is to stop people from gaming the system by dropping to get more desirable matchup (where they can win more), be it they suck or just think the game mode is dumb and don't want to put in a lot of effort. Instead they would prefer going back to gaming the system with slim rosters for better matchups.
  • scuba
    14075 posts Member
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »
    Just to get it right.

I think for some players it is more along the lines of how much time/effort they have to invest.

They can either be really out for the max and invest more time/effort and get the max possible rewards or they invest a little less time/effort, get maybe less rewards but still get enough without too much trouble. I think those that stay on purpose lower than they could be prefer the latter.

I don't do it in GAC (although I sometimes only do my mandatory battle if my opponent throws 2+ GLs on def, because I know I will not be able to full clear anyway) but I definitely feel like this in other modes, like the challenges or Conquest for example. Especially in the challenges, if it takes many repeated tries or battles, I just don't feel that the small reward difference is worth it to waste more time and I call it a day. So in a way I do understand why some players might prefer to stay lower in GAC. It just doesn't change the fact that it makes the experience bad for the smaller players whom face them.

Edit for typo

It is the latter for me. Personally I think the mode is dumb and min effort is applied.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    If you guys want your game to keep new players coming to the game and ACTUALLY STAY sort out the gac matchmaking this matchmaking absolutely sucks I'm at 6 Mill and every gac I have I'm having to face 9-10 mill accounts how can you even expect new players to want to stick around for that let me put it like this I've been playing the game for coming up 3 years now if you think new players are going to want to stick around for 3 years and still at 3 years keep getting pummeled by bigger accounts because your matchmaking sucks then expect sales to keep dwindling you had the right formula for gac with actual proper matchmaking and then you decided to invite datacons and butcher the matchmaking and the numbers drooped I wonder why if you don't want to listen to me I'm sure you can see the numbers yourselves do something

Or maybe you win some of those fights, let’s say around 50%, so you stick in this part of the ladder where you face those 9-10m rosters. If so, then you’re where you’re suppose to be.

Agreed. These posts happen way too often and people always overdramatize things. Like, I understand that fighting against people that have much bigger rosters isn't a particularly great feeling. Trust me, I really do. As someome who is almost exclusively playing bigger rosters I totally understand. But people don't realize that if the system matches 2 players with each other, it sees the battle as equal. That's how the skill rating works. Now equal does not necessarily mean fair, but if 2 players have the same rating, then they are on the same level of performance, statistically, in terms of wins/losses; so the game sees both players as having a 50% chance to win. It doesn't matter if the "weaker" player is ranked too high, or the "stronger" player ranked too low. If 2 players have the same rating then there is always a 50/50 according to the system.

People need to understand that people are at their rank for a reason. It doesn't matter what those reasons are, but there are ALWAYS reasons. People don't magically get teleported to random ranks. They get there because of their performance, whether it's good or bad. If a 4M GP player faces a 11M GP player, there's a 99.99% chance that the 11M player will win if they show up. But based on the fact that these 2 got matched up in the first place, there is also a 99.99% chance that the high level player won't show up for the fight (or else they wouldn't be at such a low rank), which evens it out. This is why not a single matchup is over before it started, regardless of how big or small the roster differences are.

It's ironic how in many of these posts people immediately run to complain to the forums when they see a "bad" matchup, but then end up winning the match because the bigger account didn't show up, and then go quiet in their forum thread because they realize they complained too soon.
    I'm not saying the system is perfect, it's far from it. But it's working fine and as intended. People just need to stop being dramatic and bringing out the pitchforks at the very first opportunity; and just need to reflect on it and think about WHY things are happening. And once they understand what is happening, they will realize it's not as bad as they think it is.

Brother i am in bronzium 1 with 4.1 million GP and one GL constantly facing guys with 6million plus and 3 or more GLs. Whatever you say, doesn't make it okay that someone with 5 galactic legends is my opponent in gac yesterday in bronzium 1. The matchmaking is awful and allows people to stay farther down than they should. Theres no shot you think an active 6 million 5 GL account should still be in bronzium 1. Its busted.

But that's the thing. Why do you think those people are in your ranks? Because they LOSE a lot/lost a lot to get there. There can be many reasons for that. They might be a bad player, they might be lazy and might not care for GAC, they might be a very busy person with simply no time for GAC, etc..
    But whatever the reason is, the fact that they are in your ranks shows that they should be there. If they don't put any effort into GAC, why should they be higher? If they are not active/not good enough, then they deserve to be there.

You (and others) need to stop just looking at rosters, and need to understand that activity and effort are legitimate factors in GAC. Both can make up for a roster deficit in a match. Looking at a roster only tells half the story. If a player has relatively high GP for let's say Chromium, but they keep losing games because they are either bad, or not active enough, why should they still be in Chromium? So of course they will drop down to Bronzium and then face people like you.

As I said, players always deserve the spot they are in, regardless of reasons or intentions. If you win, you move up. If you lose, you go down. It's that simple. If someone loses a lot then they deserve to drop, and if someone wins a lot then they deserve to climb. As mentioned in my post above, no one just magically spawns at a random rank. People get to their ranks simply by results over time. And again, I never said it's a perfect system, but it's better than what most people propose, and it's definitely better than what we had before.
  • Options
    It's a game, it's suppose to prioritize having a fun and enjoyable experience.

Doesn't matter if you win 50% of your battles when those wins are only due to the opponent not showing up, where basically GAC, which in my opinion is the most fun game mode, is now widely regarded as meh.
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1099 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

Doesn't matter if you win 50% of your battles when those wins are only due to the opponent not showing up, where basically GAC, which in my opinion is the most fun game mode, is now widely regarded as meh.

Right, I get it should be fun, I really do, but we come back to the same issue time and time again. What is the alternative which would be viable and not negatively impact every other game mode?
    Just to get it right.

I don't care either way. It seems like the desire of these threads, is to stop people from gaming the system by dropping to get more desirable matchup (where they can win more), be it they suck or just think the game mode is dumb and don't want to put in a lot of effort. Instead they would prefer going back to gaming the system with slim rosters for better matchups.

I get that. I wonder what proportion of those complaining experienced all of the problems of the old system, as it seems to be mostly newer players in lower leagues who are suffering most in the new system.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

Right, I get it should be fun, I really do, but we come back to the same issue time and time again. What is the alternative which would be viable and not negatively impact every other game mode?
    CG should acknowledge that they messed up the Skill Rating system - specifically how quickly very large accounts can fall through the ranks to face accounts that have quite literally no chance if the large account bothers to engage in the match - redesign it and start all over again.

In terms of both GAC and TW matchmaking, CG seem to have made an assumption that players only care about relative parity of rewards rather than enjoyment, which I think is a big mistake. I used to love TW, but now the conclusion to the vast majority of Wars I’m involved in is absolutely obvious before a single team is placed on Defence.

I’ve always been in either K1 or K2 in GAC, so my experience there is a little different, but it is telling just how frequently I completely forget to even attack these days. If something’s fun, you rarely forget. When it’s a chore, it’s easy to forget.
  • Options

I get that. I wonder what proportion of those complaining experienced all of the problems of the old system, as it seems to be mostly newer players in lower leagues who are suffering most in the new system.

To be clear right from the start, I do not say the old system should be implemented again!

What I can say is that even though the old system definitely had its flaws, I never experienced such huge disparities/mismatches in the old system as I do now/have since the change.

Yes people gamed the system but there is just so much you can do, given the fact that the ranges for a division/ League are limited. You would never have found someone with 4 GLs vs 1 or 0 because having more GLs automatically means more GP because of the reqs etc.

Of course I faced quite effective rosters but not as often and not with such a huge difference as I am now.

I understand why CG wants to avoid people holding back aswell as why the old system was not ideal and as I said, I do not advocate for the old system! but the new system clearly needs some tweaking/additional parameters. As it is now it is downright horrible especially for smaller/mid game players. There were already a few good ideas floating around in past threads how this might be achieved and I am sure the devs also could come up with good solutions.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1099 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    We're all in agreement here it seems. I'm not against reform of the system at all, it clearly doesn't give a fantastic experience for many players, I just want to voice concerns about the state of the old system in concert with other modes.
    CG should acknowledge that they messed up the Skill Rating system - specifically how quickly very large accounts can fall through the ranks to face accounts that have quite literally no chance if the large account bothers to engage in the match - redesign it and start all over again.

Surely a better solution would be that inactive accounts even fall faster, maybe with an increasing penalty for each round they miss, so that they quickly end up below the threshold for carb 5 and don't even interfere with players reaching their first GAC. Or possibly newer accounts could start in carb 1/2/3 to keep carb 4/5 for inactives. Personally I don't like the idea that inactives get to stay in higher divs by virtue of their GP as that ends up slowing the progression of smaller accounts. IMO active players should be rewarded for greater participation.
  • iMalevolence
    330 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    If you don't like the GAC matchmaking, I suppose you could try to create a gac bracket chat every week to talk out who deserves what level of rewards and who shouldn't really earn anything. That seems like the accepted solution in other modes.

/e Find some solution outside of the game that doesn't depend on what the rosters can actually do. Maybe play rock, paper, scissors?
  • Options
    Euchre is fun. Or throw a bit of cash on a poker game
  • scuba
    14075 posts Member
    Options
    We're all in agreement here it seems. I'm not against reform of the system at all, it clearly doesn't give a fantastic experience for many players, I just want to voice concerns about the state of the old system in concert with other modes.

Surely a better solution would be that inactive accounts even fall faster, maybe with an increasing penalty for each round they miss, so that they quickly end up below the threshold for carb 5 and don't even interfere with players reaching their first GAC. Or possibly newer accounts could start in carb 1/2/3 to keep carb 4/5 for inactives. Personally I don't like the idea that inactives get to stay in higher divs by virtue of their GP as that ends up slowing the progression of smaller accounts. IMO active players should be rewarded for greater participation.

I was thinking something similar, staring new accounts up higher, but I think that would just bring about other problems to figure out.
  • Options
    From what I can tell, an active player missing the signup a few times is more detrimental than someone who hasn’t logged on for months.

I could be wrong, but I’ve had guild members fall from Aurodium to Bronzium after just a few missed join periods. They quickly bounced back.

Seems like a player that goes MIA for maybe a year or more, doesn’t fall out of whatever tier they were in. Just dropped to V
  • Options
    Personally I don’t think falling faster is the right solution. I don’t like penalizing people who play the game because they have lives and aren’t on 24/7, and it’s hard to define what “inactive” really is. Essentially GAC would become a must-play game mode, which would hurt the casual gaming base.

I would prefer a simpler solution around expanding the league structure and opening up the playing field. I think a bigger problem than the inactives that people keep complaining about is GP inflation. But this would come with the caveat that CG has to get rid of the need to even out the distribution between divisions and leagues. So add a new league every 6-12 months, floor the drop at a division 6 for accounts, and feed advancing accounts into division 4 or 5. But without expanding the league system, it is inevitable that the average GP needed to stay in Bronzium will hit 4 million, then 5 million, then 6 million, etc. Which is a bigger problem for new players hitting GAC at sub-million GP.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Options
    Sloth243 wrote: »
    From what I can tell, an active player missing the signup a few times is more detrimental than someone who hasn’t logged on for months.

I could be wrong, but I’ve had guild members fall from Aurodium to Bronzium after just a few missed join periods. They quickly bounced back.

Seems like a player that goes MIA for maybe a year or more, doesn’t fall out of whatever tier they were in. Just dropped to V

Falling from not signing up stops after just a couple of events.
  • Options
    I’m at 2.3 mil gp and I’m sitting happily in Bronzium 3. Haven’t played against an account within 500,000 gp of me for a long time, most of them are 3-4 mil. It’s not ideal but I still manage to win and climb sometimes, you just have to be really crafty with how you place defense and how you time your attacks.
  • Options
    LordLowald wrote: »
    I’m at 2.3 mil gp and I’m sitting happily in Bronzium 3. Haven’t played against an account within 500,000 gp of me for a long time, most of them are 3-4 mil. It’s not ideal but I still manage to win and climb sometimes, you just have to be really crafty with how you place defense and how you time your attacks.

I'm 2.3mil in bronzium 4, and face 4 mil plus opponents consistently, with the occasional 3 mil opponent. Its not bad, but could stand to be a little more fun, you know?
  • Options
    LordLowald wrote: »

I'm 2.3mil in bronzium 4, and face 4 mil plus opponents consistently, with the occasional 3 mil opponent. Its not bad, but could stand to be a little more fun, you know?

Yeah it certainly could be better, I’m probably going to drop significantly when we get back to 5v5 because I don’t have enough roster depth yet.
  • Options

Holy Batman that there’s a run-on sentence
  • Options
    One solution is to reintroduce GP to matchmaking as the secondary criteria (with "Skill" Rating remaining as the primary criteria)

Accounts would be more likely to face opponents of comparable GP and any remaining GP mismatches should be less extreme than they are today.
  • Options
    Or people can try to understand that GP isn’t as important as they’ve assumed it is, and let it go.