Ewan McGregor is interested in doing an Obi-Wan movie set between 3 & 4

I am Darth Spartacus

Replies

• InternetSwag
    2658 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    They'll probably recast. He's 45 which means by the time the movies finishes he'll be like 47+.
    And they're looking for longevity, they probably want more than 1 spin off/sequel to it.

That being said, Ewan was the second best thing in the prequels for me. (#1 Christian's facial expressions/imagery. His voice may have been eh, but he had the face for it).

Ewan_McGregor_Cannes_2012.jpg This was him 4 years ago, if he can still pull it off, all the power to him.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    Have you seen episode 4? I think Ben looked a fair shade over 45 in that movie, hehe
    -Snake
  • As much as I like Obi-wan and think Ewan McGregor is a fanastic actor, I hope they don't. There are some plot lines - like Obi-Wan's complete descent into obscurity - which are best left untouched.
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    As much as I like Obi-wan and think Ewan McGregor is a fanastic actor, I hope they don't. There are some plot lines - like Obi-Wan's complete descent into obscurity - which are best left untouched.

I agree with you. It seems inevitable that they will though. Especially with Disney at the helm
    -Snake
  • Snake wrote: »
    As much as I like Obi-wan and think Ewan McGregor is a fanastic actor, I hope they don't. There are some plot lines - like Obi-Wan's complete descent into obscurity - which are best left untouched.

I agree with you. It seems inevitable that they will though. Especially with Disney at the helm

Yup :/ I really wish George Lucas hadn't completely let go - at least he could have injected some genuine artistic vision into future SW films. I'm not sure if you've seen/heard of any of his interviews on TFA, but it's painfully obvious what he thinks of it. 'Retro' was the word he used...
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Snake wrote: »

Yup :/ I really wish George Lucas hadn't completely let go - at least he could have injected some genuine artistic vision into future SW films. I'm not sure if you've seen/heard of any of his interviews on TFA, but it's painfully obvious what he thinks of it. 'Retro' was the word he used...

I find his criticism of TFA a bit ironic considering what he did with the prequels. He also had no heart in the franchise by the time he sold out. The fact that he was disappointed after the fact is sort of irrelevant since he made several billion dollars.
  • @Telaan Oh boy, the prequels debate... In brief: I think they were good, just not great movies. The story arcs were believable and complimented the originals well, but were just let down by poor execution. If the acting, dialogue, cinematography etc. had been better, I wonder whether people would even have forgiven him for details like mitichlorians and Jar Jar.

As far as Lucas' criticisms of TFA are concerned, I can understand where he is coming from. In other past interviews you get the strong impression that his passion was to make the SW universe truly believable, to bring small details like Luke's beat-up speeder to life and make the causes they were fighting for real, relatable ones. To him, the prequels were meant to give greater depth and meaning to characters motivations and intergalactic politics; TFA did none of this. We just got a rehashed version of ANH - even if it was brilliantly executed.

Also, money isn't everything...
  • Snake wrote: »
    Have you seen episode 4? I think Ben looked a fair shade over 45 in that movie, hehe

FML for some reason I thought the spinoffs would take place before he met Anakin.

My bad, yes he's perfect for this then.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    This hypothetical movie will tell the story about Rey's origins. (Rey Kenobi! Granddaughter of Obi-wan)
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    @Telaan Oh boy, the prequels debate... In brief: I think they were good, just not great movies. The story arcs were believable and complimented the originals well, but were just let down by poor execution. If the acting, dialogue, cinematography etc. had been better, I wonder whether people would even have forgiven him for details like mitichlorians and Jar Jar.

As far as Lucas' criticisms of TFA are concerned, I can understand where he is coming from. In other past interviews you get the strong impression that his passion was to make the SW universe truly believable, to bring small details like Luke's beat-up speeder to life and make the causes they were fighting for real, relatable ones. To him, the prequels were meant to give greater depth and meaning to characters motivations and intergalactic politics; TFA did none of this. We just got a rehashed version of ANH - even if it was brilliantly executed.

Also, money isn't everything...

I understand what you're saying and, in part, I agree. But Lucas sold out. If he truly cared about the future of his franchise he wouldn't have sold it. I cannot see him as a victim in any of this. He's also said on several occasions in the past that he had no interest or desire to ever make another Star Wars movie. He was just done with the whole thing. He was sick of fans tearing him apart for poor decisions and missteps (not that I can necessarily blame him...who wants to spend years hearing the same negativity). He had no passion in Star Wars anymore. He wanted to go back to his pre-Star Wars Indy film days.

I think the criticisms of JJ is a little harsh, just as I believe the criticisms of Lucas over the prequels is. JJ had a tough job. How do you link a sequel to one of the most beloved trilogies in human history more than 30 years after the fact, using the same beloved characters/actors, depicting that same passing of time in that universe with all the events/history that would've transpired, introducing new characters, while still making it feel like Star Wars? I think he did reasonable well in doing these things. I think people's opinions are further jaded by the preconceptions they built in their own mind about the movie being the second coming.

In the end I reasonably liked the prequels and TFA. Could they have been better? Absolutely.
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    @Telaan I agree with everything you just said. Except I slightly dislike the prequels.

I think TFA was very safe. It's difficult to wrap up old story lines and start new ones in the same movie. It laid the groundwork for the next two, which could be exceptional.
    -Snake
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    The first prequel is terrible.

The second one Would have been good but Anakin/Padme was unwatchable.

Third is good movie, the fall of Anakin was great.

Having the second movie be the first, then some arcs of clone wars be 2, then 3 it would have been real good.

TFA did a fantastic job with Han and ending his story. Also did a great job of bringing in good new characters. It's only real flaws were the Cantina clone and star killer base. Change Starkiller to some other kind of super weapon and do the cantina differently and you get rid of the shot for shot remake thoughts.

Outside of 1. They do justice to the universe.