My biggest pet peeve of GW and Arena? Everyone uses the same leader....

Prev1
This isn't fun.... 12 nearly identical fights a day... +3 nearly identical arena fights a day....

Then they make an update, and everyone changes.... To the same **** thing.....

First it was Sid lead everywhere...
Then dooku leads all over for a while.
Then I saw QGJ lead everywhere (didn't last long),
Then it went back to dooku a bit and now all I see is Lumi lead everywhere.....

Her passive turn-heal is pathetic and irrelevant, that's not a problem. But that dodge rate..... With locked RNG it becomes unbearable to go through it 12 times a day.

I'm at a point where after 4-5 consecutive Lumi-lead fights (or dodge-fests), I just close the game Cuz its not enjoyable anymore....

Seems like to these people don't want a team to win. They want a team to annoy others into quitting.

For the love of all that's good, DIVERSIFY! There's such a deep roster!!! Stop copying each other and using the same lead/team it becomes unbearable!

I want to send a message to whomever doesn't follow the trend: THANK YOU!!! You're a breath of fresh air.

Another solution to this would be to change GW's matchup: don't make me fight the same 'clones' from arena over and over again..... Give me another ewok team to fight! That was fun!
Give me a clone-trooper or Jedi team to fight! PLEASE!

I notice I play less and less, and today after 3 identical GW fights, I just closed the game and probably won't finish today. It's ruining the fun....

Replies

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Mine is normally diversified leaders. Even faced teebo led team today
    https://imgur.com/a/w5ojw
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    It's the nature of any game. Like complaint about basketball teams who always put out tall players with good stats. Uuuuuh, maybe take a short break from Arena for a while. Trends are trends, and they're always gonna be a part of ANY game.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Who exactly are you talking to? Are you seriously suggesting that people change the teams they use so that YOU personally can have a different experience?
  • If we could just get Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit introduced, I promise to switch my lead from QGJ to one of them!

We NEED Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit to shake things up!
    The cute little teddy bears get to have their fun. They are so cool in a couple of videos people have posted. The Jedi get to have their fun now that Yoda arrived not long ago. The droids get to have their fun etc etc. I say it is time for some other little guys about 1 meter tall.
    I have Dathcha at Lvl 71 7* and Gear VIII.
    I have Jawa at Lvl 71 5* and Gear VIII.
    Now I just need Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit.
    Jawa Engineer has droid synergies so then I need to build IG-86 maybe.
    In a game where speed is frequently discussed, Jawa Engineer gets +10 Speed for each Jawa/Droid and he starts with a speed of 153. Speed of 193 in this game seems pretty darn fast! Read more about Jawa Engineer here: swgoh.gg/characters/jawa-engineer/ Jawa Engineer would be reviver/healer as well.
    The short and sweet: High-speed Jawa Healer with a Critical Chance buff and both Jawas and Droid synergy
  • I don't see a problem with arena, you can choose your battles there. GW on the other hand has some bad game mechanics all around starting with matchmaking. I can't say that the enemy units being the same or different bothers me that much. It is what it is until it changes, but thinking about the matches I ran through this morning in GW, they were pretty diverse for the most part. With the upcoming update it sounds like we will have more areas to work with in the game.
  • I seem to be having a completely different experience of GW to you @Mstrdrgn1012 I thought GW teams were based on what other people used in GW - hence why you get such a random mix of team compositions...
  • Players are going to use what works best. Toons are unequal, hence this is both normal and expected. Can't see it changing.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Well, duh. As the meta shifts, so do the teams. And the fact that people can change with the meta means that they have diverse rosters already. But if you face a Dooku led team and you can barely land a hit, what does that tell you about the people that would fight you if you had Dooku lead? They would barely be able to hit you! As a direct result, it becomes easier to keep your spot.

Is it still possible to have a solid Arena team without chasing meta? Of course it is. If you don't like the "copy cat" teams, then don't use one. But telling others they should play differently because you don't like how they play their own game is just silly.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Complains about how it's always the same...then lists all the different changes. The logic is astounding.

Honestly, I have found both Arena and GW to be refreshingly diverse over the past few weeks. Just as an example - just opened arena. The 3 teams that pop are an Ackbar lead droid team with ST Han in it (all 7* and fully geared - scary), the "tradional" droid team with HK-47 in the lead and 7* Poe nearby, and a QGJ lead jedi team with GS. Clicked "refresh" and saw a droid team with Poggle in the lead, and a Phasma lead team with Dooku, Poggle, Yoda and Lumi (and one of the teams listed above). So all different.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Part of the problem is that player availabilities are such that many players are fairly simple to acquire and level up, and others are very difficult or impossible (for someone with non-unlimited funds).

Sid is easy to 7* via Arena Shipments. QGJ via Cantina Shipments. Luminara through GW shipments. They may not always be the strongest in the game, but they are the strongest easily-farmable characters.

My B-team for GW is primarily Nightsisters with a Ventress lead. Right now it's Ventress, Daka, Talia, with QGJ and RG. It's a great team. I threw it together because i had a bunch of second tier characters (not my "A" team) that I wanted to get through as many nodes as possible with. The stuns are incredible - Daka, Ventress, RG all have stun. Talia and Daka trade off on heals to keep cooldowns manageable. QGJ pulls assists and is a good offensive player, and can debuff taunts. Same with Ventress, she is my hitter most of the time but she can debuff also. Daka can revive.

A team that I put together hoping to get through 3-4 nodes so I could keep my A team and their cooldowns fresh, now takes me through node 8 until RG dies and I have to make a sub (JC usually). That team will get me through another node or two until I get to the hard competition.

Regardless it's a fun and surprisingly well balanced team.

My suggestion- along the lines of the original post - buff the leadership synergies that help only one group. i.e. if you have Ventress as nightsister lead, you will be more likely to use nightsisters on your team, and acquire and promote more as well. Same for ewoks, or jedis, or sith, or whatever. However if they create players with more "general" leadership (ie increases crit rate for all allies) then you'll keep seeing all the same teams over and over.

• Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Seems you are having a bad streak, lately all I see is Chewie lead teams, it is quite amusing. Every time I use Barriss lead, it gives me all the JC, Lumi, Chewie, Barriss teams. I love it.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    eJ4lUZ4.jpg

Thank you kate
    {RotE}
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    LaLiam wrote: »
    eJ4lUZ4.jpg

Thank you kate

Better send in your best fodder team in first!
  • There isn't much mix...

My last 3 battles had Lumi lead, Vader (who uses Vader? He's just annoying with his 4x dots), dooku, sid, and some random DPS or healer. And I'm fairly sure the next fight will be the same.

There are other teams that work just as well. You don't all need to follow the supposed 'meta'. This game relies so much on RNG, literally ANY team has as much of a chance to win against any other team. (As long as it's balanced, and with the deep roster, there's room for that).

I know i'm not gonna change anyone's mind on this, obviously. But I'd be much happier if GW had pre-made teams instead of the same cookie-cutter team everyone uses, we already have that in Arena.

Right now, GW is just Arena 2.0....

I'd love to fight more veers, or kit fisto, or mace, or grievous, or any trooper, or literally anything other than the 10 toons everyone seems limited to use.

I.understand some are hard to farm (or impossible), but GW i thought was THE place where you have a chance to encounter those.

I haven't seen about 80% of the roster in a battle, EVER. What's the point of adding new toons if we'll never see them aside from the battles we just simulate thru anyway?

I want to see a first-order team. An empire team. A rebel team. We have all these synergies, I just want to see the potential cool teams in combat. This would also break the meta and show that OTHER teams nobody would consider work just as well.
  • Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Doesn't help that people are told to al get the same people when asked on the forum.

Also Most synergies suck terribly amoungst the actual units in that form the group, like badly beyond a leader that happens to affect that hem all.

Most synergy require 2 or 3 **** characters. Why use 2 or 3 pieces of crap that are weaker than GS or qgj even with their "synergy" when I can just stack 4 strong characters behind dooku, poe, or rg?

I have full first order, it sux, I have 6 max rebels, they suck as a group, I was close to a resisted ce group but guess what, they all suck compared to speed or dooku groups.

Have you shot yourself in the foot using an odd team or jut wanting everyone else to?
  • Mstrdrgn1012
    441 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Eaywen wrote: »
    Doesn't help that people are told to al get the same people when asked on the forum.

Also Most synergies suck terribly amoungst the actual units in that form the group, like badly beyond a leader that happens to affect that hem all.

Most synergy require 2 or 3 **** characters. Why use 2 or 3 pieces of crap that are weaker than GS or qgj even with their "synergy" when I can just stack 4 strong characters behind dooku, poe, or rg?

I have full first order, it sux, I have 6 max rebels, they suck as a group, I was close to a resisted ce group but guess what, they all suck compared to speed or dooku groups.

I wouldn't know from experience, tho you may be right.

In arena it makes sense, and my rant is pointless.

But in GW, THAT'S the place to fight against those teams. Wouldn't you agree?

I'd be extatic if I face a vader-lead team with snow-trooper and stormtrooper and royal guard. (I get that you'll never see that in arena... Obviously).
    Or a han-lead team with chewy, Luke, and Leia.
    A lando-lead team with Akbar and rebel scout, rebel fighters, rebel pilot.

That's what I was hoping for in GW.
    My favorite fight to date was a Teebo-lead with ewok elder and Ewok scout (and Poe. Because the Lil furry chief wasn't introduced yet). I got wiped, but actually smiled the whole time and loved it!

Gimme a Boba-lead team with IG-86 and 88, and maybe greedo, Cuz why not?

Here's to hoping..... =\
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    @Mstrdrgn1012

So what team are you running and what do you place in arena and do you finish GW daily?
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • I want to face Kylo-lead with Phasma and first order tie pilot and stormtrooper. (Dunno who'd be 5th...)
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

I'd be extatic if I face a vader-lead team with snow-trooper and stormtrooper and royal guard. (I get that you'll never see that in arena... Obviously).

My favorite fight to date was a Teebo-lead with ewok elder and Ewok scout (and Poe. Because the Lil furry chief wasn't introduced yet). I got wiped, but actually smiled the whole time and loved it!

Here's to hoping..... =\

There's a huge assumption in this post. The assumption is that CG/EA sets the GW teams. Many have theorized that GW teams are actually drawn from existing teams (which, in many ways seems odd, as many GW teams are put together very strangely).

I do agree that a better algorithm needs to be used. One that created synergized teams, so that we can actually see how they perform - and learn to play against them. That would be fun as well.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    I feel ya man, the issue is gw teams are pulled directly from pvp. If they really wanted different leaders they would remove all full powered generic leaderhsips, make them all work like lumi.
  • Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    I thik it'd be neat if they threw In 2 or 3 themed teams a gw just max level max gear with team synergy in with the teams. That would be hella fun
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    I have the only Phasma lead on top 50! Then 80% dooku, and few QGJ
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member

For the love of all that's good, DIVERSIFY! There's such a deep roster!!! Stop copying each other and using the same lead/team it becomes unbearable!

With the assumption that you face other players teams in GW, the problem that prevents to much diversification is the mechanic GW and not everyone has a 12 team deep roster. to run a different team on each.

So repeat of using characters leads to healers galore on the opposing teams.

To get the diversification or synergized teams the mechanic of GW would have to change. Which I am all for but I really have no problem with the way it is either.

BTW you have not answered the question of who you main team is for GW. Or do you use 12 different synergy teams that you are asking for others to use?
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Here's to hoping..... =\

There's a huge assumption in this post. The assumption is that CG/EA sets the GW teams. Many have theorized that GW teams are actually drawn from existing teams (which, in many ways seems odd, as many GW teams are put together very strangely).

I do agree that a better algorithm needs to be used. One that created synergized teams, so that we can actually see how they perform - and learn to play against them. That would be fun as well.

Someone mentioned meeting my exact team in GW so I think there's some truth in GW teams drawn from existing players. I always assumed that the odd teams are from when you are sending in suicide/ cannon fodder or last available toons for that last node. I'm on board for synergized teams in GW.

@Mstrdrgn1012, I use cookie cutter healer teams in GW myself because my priority is not your gaming pleasure. It's to finish my GW as easily and as fast as possible. Are you sure you want to come up as a self entitled person asking others to change their playing style to suit you? I think a better idea would be to ask the devs for more engaging game play. I'd be on board that. This? Haha!
  • Mstrdrgn1012
    441 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Yudoka wrote: »
    @Mstrdrgn1012

So what team are you running and what do you place in arena and do you finish GW daily?

In arena I use Ventress(lead), Initiate, Talia, Lumi and GS. Prettt standard with lumi/GS, its Arena, and I don't have them all at 71 with 7* like everyone else on my server so I can't afford to use whatever I feel like; I'm the underdog.

Typically move between 400-150, depending if I do my 5 daily or if I even played that day.

GW I mostly run Ventress, Initiate, Talia, Acolyte, and Ahsoka. Gets me through nodes 1-6 with full health without having to use my other healers.
    Then I throw in GS/QGJ if I need to quickly dispatch someone, RG or Han if I need a tank, Lumi or Ewok Elder or JC if I need more heals. These are my only purple geared toons, the rest are considered a "C-team" and fodder.

Don't see how it's relevant though...

Edit: I usually finish GW daily, but lately I've lost the will to do so. Just gets repetitively boring and all these constant consecutive dodges ruin the fun for me.
  • This isn't fun.... 12 nearly identical fights a day... +3 nearly identical arena fights a day....

Then they make an update, and everyone changes.... To the same **** thing.....

First it was Sid lead everywhere...
    Then dooku leads all over for a while.
    Then I saw QGJ lead everywhere (didn't last long),
    Then it went back to dooku a bit and now all I see is Lumi lead everywhere.....

Her passive turn-heal is pathetic and irrelevant, that's not a problem. But that dodge rate..... With locked RNG it becomes unbearable to go through it 12 times a day.

I'm at a point where after 4-5 consecutive Lumi-lead fights (or dodge-fests), I just close the game Cuz its not enjoyable anymore....

Seems like to these people don't want a team to win. They want a team to annoy others into quitting.

I want to send a message to whomever doesn't follow the trend: THANK YOU!!! You're a breath of fresh air.

Another solution to this would be to change GW's matchup: don't make me fight the same 'clones' from arena over and over again..... Give me another ewok team to fight! That was fun!
    Give me a clone-trooper or Jedi team to fight! PLEASE!

I notice I play less and less, and today after 3 identical GW fights, I just closed the game and probably won't finish today. It's ruining the fun....

I feel the exact same way. I don't even play anyone with a sidious or dooku combo. It's all the same
  • KeyMan64x wrote: »
    If we could just get Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit introduced, I promise to switch my lead from QGJ to one of them!

We NEED Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit to shake things up!
    The cute little teddy bears get to have their fun. They are so cool in a couple of videos people have posted. The Jedi get to have their fun now that Yoda arrived not long ago. The droids get to have their fun etc etc. I say it is time for some other little guys about 1 meter tall.
    I have Dathcha at Lvl 71 7* and Gear VIII.
    I have Jawa at Lvl 71 5* and Gear VIII.
    Now I just need Jawa Engineer and Chief Nebit.
    Jawa Engineer has droid synergies so then I need to build IG-86 maybe.
    In a game where speed is frequently discussed, Jawa Engineer gets +10 Speed for each Jawa/Droid and he starts with a speed of 153. Speed of 193 in this game seems pretty darn fast! Read more about Jawa Engineer here: swgoh.gg/characters/jawa-engineer/ Jawa Engineer would be reviver/healer as well.
    The short and sweet: High-speed Jawa Healer with a Critical Chance buff and both Jawas and Droid synergy

Hello good sir. May I boast on my 7* , lvl 71, gear 8 Jawa? And dathcha too. Love them. I am with you. Jawa has been my buddy from day 1
  • I'm not asking everyone to change their team for my sake.... That would be beyond stupid. And it's just as stupid to assume that's what I'm asking for....

I thanked people who use different teams for being a breath of fresh air, because current GW mechanics make it so I keep facing the same teams, and this dodge algorithm is really taking the fun out of it for me.

Feels like those old-school RPGs where at lvl 1 you gotta hit the damned rat 20 times to actually hit him once....

These are fast-paced battles where most toons can easily die in 1-3 hits (except the big HP ones). If you don't see anything wrong with the high occurrences of 3-4-5-6 consecutive dodges in this current form, then I have nothing else to say to you.
  • If they want to keep dodge the way it is, then either increase HP for all toons or lower Attack.

The current dodge-rate with dodge-based leads (which is all I encounter) ruins the strategy aspect of the game.
  • Mstrdrgn1012
    441 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Another option would be to give all toons a certain natural dodge-rate, some higher than others obviously, so that the leader skill isn't the only viable option for the current most useful and frequent ability in-game.

Basically you get NO dodge, or almost god-like dodge from your leader. That's just dumb....

Edit: only problem with that is we'd see a lot more dodging everywhere... But at least it'd be balanced.