Shard Shop makes Sense for all Players

Greg1920
1777 posts Member
So with the expansion of the cap to 80 there is now a credit shortage for all player levels. At cap level 70 provided you didn't buy shards you had enough credits to level and star all you charactors.

The math
You get 15 GW shards, 10+ arena shards, 5 cantina ship and 7-10 cantina mode shards per day for a total of 40 shards per day and 280 per week.

It cost about 4.5 million to max a charactor(plus abilities) and 330 shards. Total waste of income in the game is about 4.5 million. Looking at the math here you could level and star your charactors and over time provided you got less than 50 extra shards per week eventually it would level out.

Now with 6.5-7 million require to max 330 shards you are short. It now takes 10 daysish to earn your 6.5-7 million credits. This means any shards more than 33 a day can never be fully levelled.

So this means you should sacrifice 50 shards a week to the shard shop to speed the farming of other characters. If you buy chrome and do lots of hard nodes this number becomes higher.

Replies

• Jooba
    61 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    You're making a lot of assumptions here, including the 7-10 cantina hard mode shards. The problem is that the return rate on the shard shop is stupidly low. 1 shard gives you 15 shard shop currency, and you get 2 shards of a random character like a shipment for 300 currency. 1:150 is ******* awful when you spend 10 shards to get that 150. That means you have to forego your arena shipment for two days (10 shards per day) for 2 days just to get 2 shards for someone you hope to get in the random pull.

It is the worst thing imaginable. There is no reason to use it as a viable source of shard farming.

Edit: I had no idea stu.p.id.l.y. was censored on this forum. Are we three years old here? Really?

• I might take one shipment from shard shop a week. That's 2 shards a week. That isn't going to speed up anything.
  • The shard shop shouldn't be giving me options like Luminara, Teebo and IG-86. I can get them in GW.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Wait. Are you suggesting we farm max star characters to use their extra shards in the shard shop?

If so it's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    LeoRavus wrote: »
    Wait. Are you suggesting we farm max star characters to use their extra shards in the shard shop?

Absolutely,

As it stands there is no way to max all of the shards you farm. Unless a new source of credits is created you can't actually level your toons to where you can use them.

So instead if use those excess shards which you do not benefit from and put them to Cantina shipment or hard node characters you are better off.

The question might be best asked would you trade 50 energy and 50 crystals for 10 GW shards? I would all day.
  • I think what op is saying, in his good but not great English, is that since you can't level up a hero with credits to 80 (since it's so costly), instead farm a maxed toon and use excess shards in shop.

But that sounds even worse.
  • Jooba
    61 posts Member
    The only thing the Shard Shop does is slow progression if you use it as an actual source of shards.

Going by this logic, if you can't get enough credits to promote the character and you slow your farm down by using the Shard Shop, then you're even more behind when you actually get the credits to promote them. It's self damaging, and I understand why OP is saying it, but purposely slowing your progression is actually going to harm you far more than just farming what you need and waiting. I have over 17.5 million credits and many toons that need to be promoted, but I'm not using them. They're not draining my credits, and I don't need them, yet when I do, I'll be able to pump them up to max in no time when I decide to. The thing that people don't seem to grasp is, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PROMOTE EVERYONE YOU CAN.

You'll only gimp yourself if you do it like OP suggests.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Greg1920 wrote: »

Absolutely,

As it stands there is no way to max all of the shards you farm. Unless a new source of credits is created you can't actually level your toons to where you can use them.

So instead if use those excess shards which you do not benefit from and put them to Cantina shipment or hard node characters you are better off.

The question might be best asked would you trade 50 energy and 50 crystals for 10 GW shards? I would all day.

I read this three times and still can't figure it out. A shard is what we use to star up our characters. Player shards. Once a toon's on 7 stars you no longer need to farm their shards, and that's the only time you can use extra shards in the shard shop.
  • Jooba
    61 posts Member

I read this three times and still can't figure it out. A shard is what we use to star up our characters. Player shards. Once a toon's on 7 stars you no longer need to farm their shards, and that's the only time you can use extra shards in the shard shop.

That's what he's saying. He's saying if you don't have the credits to promote anyone, farm 7* characters to slow your progression so your credits can catch up and you can promote a character again.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    To go a little deeper. All shards are not worth the same amount. A cantina shipment shard is worth 3 times what a GW shard is worth. A hard node shard is worth 7.5 times what a GW shard is worth.

So given that you can't level your players as fast as you get them and that their are more "Meta" players in hard nodes and cantina nodes it makes sense to transfer excess GW nodes at a 10:1 exchange into hard nodes or Cantina shipments.

• Jooba
    61 posts Member
    The flaw in your argument is when you get Cantina, GW, or Squad shipment shards in your Shard Shop. Then you have to wait 18 hours or whatever the ridiculous change time is just to get 6 more options. It's unrealistic and horribly unreliable. My Shard shop right now consists of Biggs x2, HK-47, Teebo, Greedo, and Luke. Luke is the only one I can't get in any of the other modes. Therefore, your method not only slows your actual progression, it threatens to stop it altogether. Farming for characters that are not currently in the meta, but could be with future updates or character releases is far better than what you're suggesting.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    You are making a choice. Each time you trade 20 GW shards for 2 Rey shards you shave 1/3 to 2/3 days off of maxing Rey a charactor you want now for 1 1/3 days of a GW charactor who may or may not be good.

Overall you will collect less shards but you will have funding for all your shards and you will have meta charactors sooner unless you happen to guess right on the shifts.

If you assume that over the course of 2 months you sacrifice 1 7 star character and that only 1 GW character will become new meta you are sacrificing a 1/8 chance in having the new meta sooner for an extra week of a current meta character.

Also you convert when there is stuff to buy. Right now I'm shop farming Ashoka, Rey and Vader. So I keep 300 in the shop and when they show up I buy them so there is no additional risk in this strategy based on shard shop selection.

And you are just giving up 5 GW shards a day.
  • Jooba
    61 posts Member
    You're saying that I am giving up 5 GW shards, but you don't seem to recognize that I could be using all my shards on 2 characters I want. Something that is going to benefit me far better in the long run than patiently waiting and using up GW shards for the Shard Shop that I could use on characters I want from GW.
  • Green_Legend_Ran
    389 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    To each his/her own. I am farming all maxed nodes in cantina, arena, ls, ds and gw to max my shard return out. I am in it for the long haul on GG. ;-)
    Green_Legend_Ran A storm is coming...
  • So you're saying that there aren't enough credits to star 4-5 characters at a time, so it makes sense to only work on about 3 and use the shipments from the others to use the shard shop to speed them up? That actually makes sense! I don't think I'll do it, because I'd like to have a more diverse roster, but don't listen to people who say it's dumb. If you've done the math, go for it!
  • I freely admit I bought 5 GW shards I didn't need just to trade them into the shard shop for 2 sweet, sweet FOTP shards. But I don't think I'll be doing that on a regular basis. Maybe after I'm finished farming the last 3 GW characters I want, but I can't see farming unnecessary shards just to slow myself down.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    So you're saying that there aren't enough credits to star 4-5 characters at a time, so it makes sense to only work on about 3 and use the shipments from the others to use the shard shop to speed them up? That actually makes sense! I don't think I'll do it, because I'd like to have a more diverse roster, but don't listen to people who say it's dumb. If you've done the math, go for it!

This is exactly it. And that hard node and cantina ship charactors are better than 4th tier GW chars.
  • Yarzahn
    329 posts Member
    Jooba wrote: »
    I have over 17.5 million credits and many toons that need to be promoted, but I'm not using them. They're not draining my credits, and I don't need them, yet when I do, I'll be able to pump them up to max in no time when I decide to.

This. Considering i have 0 interest in getting a general grievous for 4950 shards (lol), i'd rather farm other stuff and save for when i decide to activate.
    Already have 4-5 heroes from arena and GW sitting on their shards unpromoted.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    I don't spend any on grevious it's adding extra shards for hard nodes and cantina ships.