Let's say they offer 4 star heroes for $9.99 each, would you buy them?

Destark
81 posts Member
edited December 2015
Or just 80 shards for one specific hero for $9.99, I would happily buy Maul, Old Ben, Ima-Gun Di, Aayla Secura, Qui-Gon Jinn and Kit Fisto, maybe Rey and Lando, I can see myself drop a hundred for 10 specific heroes, currently I refused to spend any money on Chromium packs.... the uncertainty is just too much.... If there are weekly one hero 80 shards $9.99 rotation events, would you spend money on them?

Replies

• Hell yes I would man ill be on that the moment it comes out. Worth it especially darth maul
    Or rey cause she so strong
  • It's not gonna happen!
  • Destark wrote: »
    Or just 80 shards for one specific hero for $9.99, I would happily buy Maul, Old Ben, Ima-Gun Di, Aayla Secura, Qui-Gon Jinn and Kit Fisto, maybe Rey and Lando, I can see myself drop a hundred for 10 specific heroes, currently I refused to spend any money on Chromium packs.... the uncertainty is just too much.... If there are weekly one hero 80 shards $9.99 rotation events, would you spend money on them?

Would I buy it? Sure but would it be a bad implementation? Yes.

The IAPs and games like this depend on the 'gambling' function and to be honest it is quite fair, most of the toons are farmable through shipments/nodes and game offers you a grindy way if you choose not to spend a dime and of course this will take enourmous amounts of time as it should.

Offering toons that are chromium only for 9,99$ will make everyone buy them and then we're going to see a disgruntled p2p base who possibly spent at the very least 40$+ to acquire any of those 4* star toons. And what would happen if everyone had those? You'd see the forums crying over that X is OP should be nerfed (think of Sid, even though pretty much everyone has him people are starting to complain he is OP).

Now if the pack cost something along the lines of 20-25$ for a random 4* from say 10 list of heroes, I'd take my chances and buy the pack, if I still didn't get what I wanted I'd have a semi-useful toon and ergo not making furious that I didn't get the specific toon that I wanted and may incentivise me to buy more of the pack. And if they also made sure that the pack didn't drop duplicates, so that each time you bought it you could actually get higher chance to get that specific toon? I think this would be the most fair and the lucrative way, the developer could get upwards of 200$ from high spenders, 20$ from those f2p and about 60-80$ from mid spenders and not a single group would feel they 'wasted' their money because any 4* toon from there wouldn't be worse than what you had already.
  • I think if it was a sale or two every week that was a different 4 star character for $15, 3 star for $10, then it would give players access to characters they want, but not be able to just exploit it for quick stars, nor get it when they want. The goal in my mind is to give players who don't like gambling an option to be more calculated with their spending, eventually getting what they want over time, but still allow heavy spenders to get what they want much faster and to be able to star up much faster.

On a side note, they do need to also have all characters at least 1-2 ways to get shards though. Even if it is 6 battles per day, At least progress can slowly be made over time for everyone. When I open a chromium to get a character that would be great except that I effectively have no way to increase their stars, its pretty depressing.
  • Depends on who it was and how much I liked them. But yes, for a select few characters.
  • Cool idea in theory, but very unlikely to occur anytime soon if at all.
  • Sound too easy to obtain good hero, it will made the game boring too fast.
    I would prefer time consuming and hard grinding method.
  • They'll never do this because this would be a good deal. EA only does deals where you the customer spend top dollar and they in return give you lackluster items. The greed level is too high right now, maybe later as this game continues to sink from all these bad decisions...
  • They'll never do this because this would be a good deal. EA only does deals where you the customer spend top dollar and they in return give you lackluster items. The greed level is too high right now, maybe later as this game continues to sink from all these bad decisions...

I don't understand the so-called 'greed'. The games are developed to make money as the first focus, providing entertainment is a secondary goal. Could there be better packs that are optimised for getting the highest revenue possible? Sure there might be and all of us here can only guess and make assumptions based on reactions of at most a thousand people.

Whereas they do actually have the data on who buys what and can make assumptions based on the data they have. Since the game is barely a month old they're looking at their options with different packs that have different target and pricing schemes and this 'New Year Bundle' is just a part of it. After exploring their options they most likely will settle on a pricing system and will continue dishing out content based on such system until then these are all 'tries' for them to find the sweet spot.

And some of the packs will net them more revenue stream compared to others and it will inevitable, I see a lot of negativity based on the new pack but as others have stated it is geared towards new players and getting 3 4* units for 17,99$ is actually a nice deal even if the toons are garbage. Lastly, we actually do not even know if those toons at 4* are actually garbage they might be actually quite good because honestly who even has them starred?
  • For that price is almost for free according their payment model. I would definitely buy heroes for $9.99 if possible
  • $10-$20 would be reasonable, but not profitable for EA.

It would definitely reduce the reason to buy crystals in packs, although obviously refreshes are more efficient for character shard/equipment farming.

Can you believe that in Australia the Force Awakens pack was over $100, significantly more expensive than other regions.

I didn't buy it and dang that is just outrageous by even a "whale's" standards.

• It's nice that you make excuses for EA @Heronmar!! Maybe you don't have a problem with the current system bit many will and do, I see the number growing as time passes. So go out there and buy 5-10 of these packs and enjoy your 7* Royal Guard....
  • comandaben wrote: »
    $10-$20 would be reasonable, but not profitable for EA.

It would definitely reduce the reason to buy crystals in packs, although obviously refreshes are more efficient for character shard/equipment farming.

Can you believe that in Australia the Force Awakens pack was over $100, significantly more expensive than other regions.

It was $100 that included 40$ worth crystals and 3 4* toons and one 1 3* toon if I'm not mistaken. They could've easily made that a $60 pack by taking out the crystals and rendering the pack more buyable but as I said earlier, they're just testing waters and see if the stigma of $100 price tag deter people immensely.
  • moddom wrote: »
    Cool idea in theory, but very unlikely to occur anytime soon if at all.

Yeah I'd be very surprised if it happens in the first year since the launch. If anything until the Rogue squadron movie hits in the new year. I think it's overly optimistic to even consider EA selling a 4* star for the value the OP is suggesting. 3* star maybe, but not a 4*
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • It's nice that you make excuses for EA @Heronmar!! Maybe you don't have a problem with the current system bit many will and do, I see the number growing as time passes. So go out there and buy 5-10 of these packs and enjoy your 7* Royal Guard....

I'm not making excuses as they are not geared toward excusing anyone, there are so many characters in SW universe that people would buy with their eyes closed (Yoda, Luke, Palpatine, Obi-Wan etc) so they're constantly assembling new packs to see how many people buy them when the pack is $20, $30, $50 and even $100.

If their revenue stream from 'Force Awakens' bundle was lower than what they expected it is likely that we would see a similar pack (3 4* and 1 3*) sans the 40$ worth crystals making the pack priced at $60. Now if a pack that included Yoda and Luke with say 30 shards of Obi-Wan was offered would you buy it? I know that I'd regardless of their squad synergy/OPness.

Farming those characters even with optimal farming rates would take almost a month and I can spare $60 for fan favorites just to have them.
  • How boring it would be to just buy the character you want? And every1 would have the same team. Terrinle idea!
  • Heronmar wrote: »
    comandaben wrote: »
    $10-$20 would be reasonable, but not profitable for EA.

It was $100 that included 40$ worth crystals and 3 4* toons and one 1 3* toon if I'm not mistaken. They could've easily made that a $60 pack by taking out the crystals and rendering the pack more buyable but as I said earlier, they're just testing waters and see if the stigma of $100 price tag deter people immensely.

Telling isn't selling @Heronmar, coffee is for closers. Poor EA, the "stigma" they suffer pushing those $100 packs, the corporate officers must feel so bad, maybe they'll need to go over to 1OAK and get a table in VIP and drown their sorrows..
  • I would only buy Heros i can farm like Rey and Kylo.
    I dont need a weak 4*DM,OB,Lando,Laia and i dont buy Cromium because i hate RNG.
  • Ivinol wrote: »
    I would only buy Heros i can farm like Rey and Kylo.
    I dont need a weak 4*DM,OB,Lando,Laia and i dont buy Cromium because i hate RNG.

O.o Weak Leia and Lando... meza thinks you not seen a geared up Leia or Lando.. Once you face one that is 4* and geared, I can tell you right now you will not be calling them weak... more than likely you'll be screaming for them to be nerfed...
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • You can buy each shard for 50crystals in the shipments. Try it :)
  • Skye wrote: »
    Ivinol wrote: »
    I would only buy Heros i can farm like Rey and Kylo.

O.o Weak Leia and Lando... meza thinks you not seen a geared up Leia or Lando.. Once you face one that is 4* and geared, I can tell you right now you will not be calling them weak... more than likely you'll be screaming for them to be nerfed...
    lol
    You know Focus Fire/Stun/Ability block?
    I face 3-4x/Week a 60er Laia Team and ~ 1-2 Landos in Arena.
    Much more in GW.
    I dont need both at 4*.

• Like other mobile games with iap for collection functions in game, they eventually have items for instant stars. Probably 100 a pop, or part of some 100 dollar bundle. I have played enough mobile games to know this is eventual. Now is a bit early for that though. Maybe in 6 months to a year.

And no way for 9.99. Not when they got us to pay 100 for kylo and Finn. If it is random, the lowest is 10-15, based on what other games with strong ips are doing. If specific characters, then 30, based on Marvel Future Fight.

I am kind of grateful Rey and other TFA characters are farmable. Marvel doesn't do that for their newly released characters to maximise the sale of the character bundles.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Bad idea because the game will be easy, boring and people will quit.
    Bad for business because EA will lost a lot of money and it won't happen .
  • close thread
  • Would I buy it? I certainly would. Our feedback is seen by CG and EA. Please continue to create ideas for reasonably priced pack which are a good value. Perhaps we will get them in the future.
  • I would buy Rey in a heartbeat.

IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Song wrote: »
    Bad idea because the game will be easy, boring and people will quit.
    Bad for business because EA will lost a lot of money and it won't happen .

If done all the time, yes. As a rare random thing, it wouldn't hurt anything. Especially when we will have a ton of new toons released over the course of the game.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • People would buy those characters for $100. Why would they sell their selves short?
  • pay2win wrote: »
    People would buy those characters for $100. Why would they sell their selves short?

It might be a numbers game at that point. If 2% of the playerbase would buy the characters at $100, or 4% at $50, or 10% at $30 type of thing. Higher price point doesn't necessarily equate to more profit.
  • At the moment single shards are already on sale on regular shipments at the price of 50 crystals per shard. If you think that in shipments there is the disadvantage of waiting for the right shards to be there, the price you're wondering about is not in line at all with EA/CG pricing. Actually 80 shards are sold at 4000 crystals that are worth about 35 €/$. A complete 4 toon avilable immediately should cost about 50.
    Please notice I am not saying this is cheap/expensive.
    If they would ever lower the price to, let's say 25 €/$ per 4* complete toon, they also should lower the shipment shards to 20/25 crystals each. At least