Shard Shop featuring 7-star characters

The objective of the Shard Shop, is to top off those characters we may be needing a little extra push. I'm not going to complain over the fact we only get 6 choices per 21hours, with the possibility of only getting 2 shards per slot.

I'm going to complain that, given the fact we only get this limited amount of choice, that characters we already have at 7-star do not become available there. If the objective of the Shard Shop is to trade our extra 7-stared characters shards, then it makes no sense whatsoever to have them on the Shard Shop. Can we please remove them from there? Only present characters we haven't 7-stared yet.

Bonus: the characters that appear on the shard shop should be based on our current roster. If we have a 6-star with 15 shards left to get him at 7-star, then those characters should have a higher likelihood of appearing on the shop, versus characters we haven't yet unlocked. This would make the limited selection of characters much more appealing, and the shop would make a lot more sense that way.

Replies

• I'm no expert on programming by any means. But I have to think the amount of coding that it would take to cater the shard shop to each individual's roster and progress of each character in that roster might be a bit much to ask.
  • DhamonGrimwulf
    3 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm no expert on programming by any means. But I have to think the amount of coding that it would take to cater the shard shop to each individual's roster and progress of each character in that roster might be a bit much to ask.

First, the shard shop is already individual to each person: everyone already gets different shard offerings every day.

Secondly, I'm a programmer: It's actually really, really easy to do this. There's actually two proposals I make here:
    1 - remove characters you have at 7-stars from the offering. This is too easy not to be done.

2 - Apply a simple weighted average over a users roster. Imagine the following simple example:

You have a shard shop of 1 character; and you have 3 characters: one is 1-star, the second is 3-star, and the third is 6-star. To roll for the position, you roll a 100-sided dice. If it scores between 1-15, the 1-star is placed on the shop; if it scores between 16-50, the 3-star is placed; if it scores between 51-100, the 6-star is placed.

There's actually several different manners how this can be worked out. You can look at amount of shards and not stars, you can have slots with higher chances of lower stars, and others of higher stars, etc. Regardless, the calculations are all pretty simple and basic.

Honestly, as long as the first option is applied (and it's REALLY easy to apply), I'd be happy. But I'd love to see the second too. Feel free to hire me EA, I'm finishing my PhD now and looking for new challenges =)

edit: horrible typos!
  • I'm no expert on programming by any means. But I have to think the amount of coding that it would take to cater the shard shop to each individual's roster and progress of each character in that roster might be a bit much to ask.

I'm not sure how the selections are coded right now but they're random and generated per user anyway. \

It's just one additional check at the time the selections are generated.
  • The objective of the Shard Shop, is to top off those characters we may be needing a little extra push. I'm not going to complain over the fact we only get 6 choices per 21hours, with the possibility of only getting 2 shards per slot.

I'm going to complain that, given the fact we only get this limited amount of choice, that characters we already have at 7-star do not become available there. If the objective of the Shard Shop is to trade our extra 7-stared characters shards, then it makes no sense whatsoever to have them on the Shard Shop. Can we please remove them from there? Only present characters we haven't 7-stared yet.

Bonus: the characters that appear on the shard shop should be based on our current roster. If we have a 6-star with 15 shards left to get him at 7-star, then those characters should have a higher likelihood of appearing on the shop, versus characters we haven't yet unlocked. This would make the limited selection of characters much more appealing, and the shop would make a lot more sense that way.

+1 on this. Literally every other post in this feedback section is self serving, or attempting to radically change the ratios or design in some way. If the shard shop's outline is as intended, these 2 ideas change nothing about the concept of how the shard shop works, and only work towards the intent as stated by CG/EA.
  • +1, came to the forum to suggest this feature if the thread didn't exist. In theory removing your maxed toons from the possible random shards does give you slightly more chances at the Vader or other sweat toon you do need over another random player, but small favors for your hard work also. Also, no repeat toons. I've seen many days with three of the same random toon that is easily farmable.
  • Rie_Fu
    33 posts Member
    +1
  • I have 61,134 shard credits! The fact that is, I already have most of the shards that are available an don't buy what I don't need. Something needs to be done about the selection in the Shard Shop and the Galactic War shipment as well, ( I have 10,390 war tokens). I'm assuming new characters will be brought out as well, so it's not to bad with the war tokens. Thanks for ANYTHING that can be done about the shard shop issue.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Just want to throw out:

I am a programmer as well. It is incredibly easy to do this. All this data is stored in a DB anyways, a simple query in your programming statement would just be "where start_level != 7" and bam, your shop is now filled with characters not 7 star.

• I'm a senior software architect and it would not be hard at all for them to cater the shops individually. I wish they would do this and offer something similar to that of grievous and let us purchase 5 and 10 and 30. That would make characters like Vader, the once or twice a month he shows up be an actual contending playable character. Just my two cents though.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    You're lucky you even have a shard shop. If you're going to get all Anakin-y about it, they should probably just take it away all together.
  • Jaylos
    11 posts Member
    I would just like to see them add characters with less availability into the rotation more. By that I mean either characters that are solely available from the packs, or characters that only have a single hard mode mission to get shards from. As well maybe a better exchange rate for the shards.