Old Ben Needs some Help

PainTrain
10 posts Member
edited April 2016
I really want to love this toon and use him in my main rotation, but he is just not useful enough. His best thing is dying, which doesn't help during a match. Below I would offer some humble suggestions to improve Old Ben. To be clear, I am only level 7 gear and all my abilities are level 5, so if some of these happen at higher level, you can set me straight.

Old Ben has a pretty weak attack that may get a bump in the upcoming re-balance updated, but still, he has nothing much else going on during battle. As a leader, his evasion isn't high enough to guarantee much, so the only real thing that can get a bump is his Mind Trick. Here are my suggestions, with the first being a MUST.

1. Reduce the cool down for Mind Trick to 4 rounds. 5 is just to dang long especially since it doesn't always work.
2. The mind trick doesn't seem to be very effective lasting only one round, especially against teams that can attack quickly or multiple times a round, so how about increasing it to lasting for two rounds if you leave the cool down at 5? After wall, vaders damage lasts two rounds and the no health buff sidious and others impart last two rounds.
3. If you don't like #2, reduce the cool down further to 3 so it can be cast more often.
4. If you dislike #3, you might consider adding the following debuff ability to Mind Trick. For every ability block imparted, 1 negative buff from your team is removed at random. So, up to 5 negative buffs could be removed. Since this can only be cast every 4/5 rounds, that is not too bad. This also gives players another debuffer to use. This would also help given that the Mind Trick does NO damage when cast, like Boba Fets does.
5. To really make players think on both sides, have the damage that might be imparted with mind trick stay on the enemy toons until Ben dies. Upon his death, all damage buffs are removed, however, the positive buffs from his death are added to the players team as usual. Seems like a good strategy infusion to the game.

I want to love him, but Ben just can't cut it in his current state, especially since he can't taunt as a tank. On thinking about it, how about adding an ability like Royal Guard, except have Ben auto taunt if a team mate gets below 30%, rather than 50%. That would help a little too. Thanks.

Replies

• I like the gist of these suggestions. At the very least his leader ability needs to be fixed like Dooku's did. I also think that his ability block should last for 2 turns since the cool down is an agonizing 5 turns.
  • Rie_Fu
    33 posts Member
    Lowering the cooldown or increasing the duration would be nice. Haven't played him yet but would love to (would take endless farming though:[ ). Also wouldn't be bad if he had one more skill in his arsenal;]
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    I have been having a lot of success using Han with Ben:
    Ackbar(L),Han,Ben,gs,Rey. In this squad Ben will debuff before a G9 QG moves, however if Rey is taken out by an enemy gs, it's very difficult to pull it back against meta teams
    {RotE}
  • I'm still trying to get my Ben to 6* (didnt realize it was in cantina, shows how much I paid attention to it). I like using him in Tank Challenge. Mace did take him out after the new level increase and at first I couldn't figure where all the buffs came from till I read his description after the fight.
    Haven't used him in anything else yet.