NEW MODE - A letter to the developer

Dear EA/CG,

I have thought through an idea for a new mode for SWGOH. Let me start by saying I understand the business side of any update being made--money and player interest must be generated otherwise there will be no motivation to spend hours developing new ideas and modes. That being said, I feel that if you read the following idea, it will sate both of those aforementioned concerns. Thank you for your time.

"Tournament Mode" -- available once players hit level 70. Each player will have the option to pay 100k credit entry fee--available once per day. You start out in a round of 16 (total teams). Each round is a best of 3 matches. You draft 5 characters from your pool of characters. Once a character is used inside best of 3, he/she cannot be used again until the next tournament round. This promotes deep rosters (which EA/CG would love) due to wanting to have a bigger pool of characters to choose from. Winner gets rewards and moves on to the next round. Loser is done for the day.

How would this even work? Live battles would be the best option. (If live battles are not feasible, I have a Plan B). A player would select his 5 characters and face a live battle against his/her opponent's 5 characters. Let's say Player X wins the first match. Both players go back to their pool of characters (minus the 5 used in match 1) and battle in match 2. If Player X wins, the match is over and he moves on to the next round. If Player Y wins, both players would move on to a decisive match 3. Characters would be fully restored when moving on to the next round.

A first concern could be that players would be required to wait to be matched to an opponent. However, there would be a super easy way to prevent this:

Rather than having a set group of 16 teams, you would start your tournament off and it would auto-match you to another player looking for a first round battle. Then once you win, it would auto match you to a player looking for a second round (in theory 8 teams remaining) battle. And so on and so forth. This would prevent having to wait for a specific second round opponent (from a pre-determined tournament) to come online for a live battle. The timer reset could work much like GW; you can wait until after midnight to finish your tournament if you so choose, but you must wait until AT LEAST midnight for it to reset.

Rewards: I can easily see a new "Tournament Currency" being introduced. Three (new) legendary characters could also be introduced. Let's just say Jedi Luke, Emperor Palpatine and Han Solo as easy examples. As is standard, it would cost 400 currency for 5 shards of a character. These characters would only be attainable through Tournament Shipments and the idea would be that it would take a LONG while to 7* these characters. Here's how I see the payout structure looking:

Payout for entering tournament: 100 Tournament Currency (regardless of win or loss)

Payout for winning round 1: 100 Tournament Currency. 50k Credits

Payout for winning round 2 (quarterfinals): 200 Tournament Currency. 50k Credits

Payout for winning round 3 (semi-finals): 300 Tournament Currency. 100k Credits

Payout for winning round 4 (finals): 400 Tournament Currency. 200k credits

Payout summary: If you win only the first round, you've got half your "money" back (entrance fee) And combined with the free 100 Tournament Currency for entering, you're halfway to a set of 5 shards. If you win the first two rounds, you'll win your "money" back-no harm no foul-plus you pick up 400 total currency which is enough for 5 shards. If you can win 3 rounds you get your "money" back, plus the next day's entry fee (100k), plus the 300 Tournament Currency. And winning it all is self-explanatory.

Let's summarize the benefits of adding this mode, first from a business (developer) model, and second from an entertainment (player) model.

Business advantages:
1) Continues the theme of delivering a fresh product. "It's something new and exciting." This means people continue to play your game and tell more friends about it. Tournament mode could increase game longevity. This means more money for you.

2) Tournament mode would create a culture where deep rosters would be rewarded. This would encourage leveling, starring & gearing more characters so that one could be prepared for the daily tournament. This all amounts to spending more money on crystals in an effort to get more character shards from packs and even more credits/training droids to level those characters.

3) Imagine a player that finds out quickly he loves tournament mode. Sadly he has spent his credits on leveling up Ugnaught (common mistake), and now only has 17k credits which is well short of the 100k entrance fee. Said player does NOT want to miss out on those Palpatine shards so he impulse buys some crystals so that he can buy a credits card. More money for you.

Player advantages:
1) As mentioned for the business model, this will be a new and fresh mode. Spices things up. Increases longevity of us wanting to play this wonderful game.

2) As gamers, competition is deep in our blood. We love that you're increasing the stat data because frankly, we want to see how good we are! Imagine creating this mode where 1 out of 16 people win per day. Talk about a high level of competition! This would only fuel the competitive fire to create better teams and synergies.

3) This would be the IDEAL way to introduce new, high-notoriety, characters. Those of us that have been grinding for months don't always like to see Johnny Noob be able to play for a week and have a high caliber character leveled right away. Introducing these characters through tournament mode would incentivize leveling as fast as you could (high threshold of level 70 for entry). It would also make unlocking these characters feel like an amazing achievement. Owning these characters would almost be a status symbol--similar to someone owning a 6 or 7 star Vader. You'd see a Jedi Luke and be like "whoa, those shards can't be bought so that dude must have kicked some tail in tourney mode."

There are many more details and flexible options I have in mind, but I feel this could be the groundwork to a very successful next step for your franchise. If you are interested, I would love to discuss this further with any of your team members. My email address is jsh606@gmail.com

Thank you for your time and attention!

Sincerely,
The Rev

Replies

• Panna
    210 posts Member
    Amazing idea Rev!! I hope the dev's read this and take it into consideration as it would be an awesome game mode/feature to have.

Also, if @EA_Jesse could pass it along to the team that would really help getting it noticed!
    ARK - Alliance Of Rebel Knights | Editor & Graphics Designer | https://swgoh.gg/u/panna/
  • Panna
    210 posts Member
    Amazing idea Rev!! I hope the dev's read this and take it into consideration as it would be an awesome game mode/feature to have.
    Also, if @EA_Jesse could pass it along to the team that would really help getting it noticed!
    ARK - Alliance Of Rebel Knights | Editor & Graphics Designer | https://swgoh.gg/u/panna/
  • I <3 live battles!
  • Rev...WOW
    awesome idea which has a decent business model. This tourney mode will create an extreme amount of competition, way more so than arena mode.
  • It's against forum guidelines to post with 'EA' or 'CG' in your thread title.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    This is an amazing idea. A lot of players just look at the game itself and completely disregard the business model. This takes into accounts both and would for SURE catch the attention of my credit card. Plus, I've always wondered since I learned how the servers work as to how we would determine who the best players in the game are. This might solve that question.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....

Thanks. It has been amended.
  • pac0naut wrote: »
    This is an amazing idea. A lot of players just look at the game itself and completely disregard the business model. This takes into accounts both and would for SURE catch the attention of my credit card. Plus, I've always wondered since I learned how the servers work as to how we would determine who the best players in the game are. This might solve that question.

Thank you for your feedback! I definitely agree.
  • Panna wrote: »

Totally agree. This proposition was well thought out. I'll tell you what... I certainly would play something like that.
  • Panna wrote: »

JermProof wrote: »
    Rev...WOW
    awesome idea which has a decent business model. This tourney mode will create an extreme amount of competition, way more so than arena mode.

Thanks guys! I just can't really find any negatives with it from a business side. I appreciate the feedback!
  • its a good idea, similar to The Arena in Hearthstone. The main problem is that youd need it to be live PvP which I dont know if the game can handle right now
  • Panna
    210 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Panna wrote: »

Totally agree. This proposition was well thought out. I'll tell you what... I certainly would play something like that.

I would as well! I've been wanting for any form of live PvP since I started the game. It's what really drives people to be most competitive. Which from a developer/business stand point would really increase sales as people will want to get ahead of the competition.
  • Slewfoot wrote: »
    its a good idea, similar to The Arena in Hearthstone. The main problem is that youd need it to be live PvP which I dont know if the game can handle right now

Yeah, I could see that as a problem. As I mentioned, there is a back-up idea I have in mind that wouldn't require live action. Of course it is a major downgrade, but I feel it could still work.
  • Jebe
    3 posts Member
    Love this idea
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    @Jebe - Holy crud.... A Budd Dwyer avatar? LAWDAMERCY! That's savage!
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Jebe
    3 posts Member
    I couldn't help myself >:)
  • You mentioned a plan for if live battles are not possible but you didnt venture any further into it i believe
  • Kurki
    50 posts Member
    @TheRevJCred fantastic stuff, love it just as you described it!

It would mean that an infrastructure that supports live battles and matchmaking would have to be implemented, but hopefully the devs are not so shortsighted so as not to understand the potential return on this investment.

Sadly, mobile games often seem to go "wide and shallow" rather than "focused and deep". But maybe they will surprise us!
  • Love this idea. Very well thought. Easily would spend crystals on credits to make my tournament run daily if need be.
    Could possibly even do it as an event type. Where you need a certain amount of currency to unlock one character.
    Awesome awesome awesome
  • Uriakatos wrote: »
    You mentioned a plan for if live battles are not possible but you didnt venture any further into it i believe

No he did
    The part about instead of having 16 preset teams in the tourney you have it span across all the servers and the system would pair you up with someone else looking to battle in the same tier you are presently in.

I'd like to hear the opinion of a moderator. What are your thoughts on the idea?
  • Panna
    210 posts Member
    It's against forum guidelines to post with 'EA' or 'CG' in your thread title.

I'd like to hear the opinion of a moderator. What are your thoughts on the idea?

If only he was an actual mod, lmao.