Character Abilities that Can Restore Protection?

Protection, armor, and defense are quite important now. This extends the length of battles and makes tanky characters viable. On the surface, it would seem that healers are now useful in Arena, but that's mitigated by the sheer amount of Protection available to some toons, often equaling the amount of health they have.

This means that healers have a narrow range in which they function. If RG has 18k HP and 18K protection, and Lumi has 12k HP, then:
- Lumi's heal will restore 5400 HP initially. This is 15% of RG's total HP+Protection. Before the update, it was 30% of RG's total HP.

A large chunk of the time while RG or any other toon is being beat down, Lumi's heal is useless. Effectively, she functions when an ally is between 10%-40% of total life now, as opposed to 10%-90% before the update.

Thus, give some toons a new ability to restore Protection! Some possible candidates:
- Ewok Elder
- Yoda
- Old Daka
- Ahsoka Tano
- Lando
- Old Ben
- JKG
- Finn
- Tusken Shaman
- New toon

Replies

• gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    That would further extend the battle times.... I wouldn't dig that at all...
  • Akster
    571 posts Member
    Nah. Bear in mind a lot of characters protection are as low as 2/3k. I think it is fine for now.
  • Akster wrote: »
    Nah. Bear in mind a lot of characters protection are as low as 2/3k. I think it is fine for now.

True, but that's because Protection doesn't kick in until Gear 7, so it won't start scaling up until high gear levels.

For example, at Gear 9, 7*, level 75:
    - QGJ: 12K HP, 9K Protection
    - GS: 13K HP, 8.5K Protection
    - Savage: 19K HP, 15K Protection
    - Old Daka: 15K HP, 10.5K Protection
    - RG (6*): 20K HP, 18.5K Protection
    - Sidious: 10K HP, 7.5K Protection
    - Yoda: 11.5K HP, 8K Protection

Who knows - at gear 10, 11+, protection might even be greater than HP.
  • Akster
    571 posts Member
    I dont think gear is going to go past X. I think the planned max level for characters was going to be 90. No idea where I saw that but I remember seeing something along those lines a long time ago.

Leias protection is 4k at gear 8, maul is 3.5k at 8.

I don't think it really needs changing. Or if it does, not sure what a good way to do it would be.
  • Leai and Maul's protection will probably near-double at gear 9.

I just think that healers are kinda pointless now.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Part if the initial announcement was there may be new characters that can manipulate or work around protection.
  • stupidfatfool
    715 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Akster wrote: »
    I dont think gear is going to go past X. I think the planned max level for characters was going to be 90. No idea where I saw that but I remember seeing something along those lines a long time ago.

Leias protection is 4k at gear 8, maul is 3.5k at 8.

I don't think it really needs changing. Or if it does, not sure what a good way to do it would be.

@Akster At level 90, max gear, Leia has 16k protection; Maul has 13k protection. All chars will have more protection than health. Healers become even more useless.
  • Akster
    571 posts Member
    Fair enough, in which case protection manipulation will be interesting. The only thing left then is how they would do it. Sine protection does not really come into effect until gear 7, manipulation of it will be useless for newer players.

Sorry for sounding negative all the time just playing devils advocate haha :)