With a new level cap coming, what can you do?

Prev13
SeroZero
154 posts Member
edited January 2016
Now we all know CG hates giving specifics so as to not go back on promises, but one thing is certain. A level cap raise to level 70 is imminent. If they go back on this, I'm getting my pitchfork, because it has been almost 4 months of level 60 for me.

We can speculate all sorts of ideas from nerfs to buffs (Hi! Mace Windu) to new characters (5x dmg anti-sith Yoda? No? I wanna see that old map do the flip like the movies though :smiley: ). But there is no way we can prepare for these, so what can we do?
  • [Hoarding] Very basic knowledge, new level level cap, new stuff to upgrade. Start stashing credits/crystals/ability mats/training droids. You know you need them, lots of them. Although you can only level your characters as high as your player level goes, I'm sure most capped out players have more than 5 characters they want at their best possible upgrades. So save for it.
  • [Planning which guys to upgrade first] Depending on your priorities, PVP or PVE (GW main team), you might want to choose which characters you want buffed up first, since leveling up also means getting more difficult opponents in BOTH arena & GW. Depending on your choice (or credit card limit), you might win in a category but lose in the other.
  • [Foreseeing the next 'OP' character] The main purpose of this thread. Now this would take time, research and dedication to find out the next possible strong character. We all know the characters are not made equal and you don't expect to win FOTP with EWOK. Althought we can't predict how new characters released will fare, you can actually foresee how current characters will.

The reason why FOTP is 'OP' right now is primarily because of one reason, access to GEAR VIII. Very few characters have access to GEAR VIII at our current level cap, and those who do, boast very impressive stats. Another example is JC, who also has access to VIII. Explaining why these 2 non-tanks have ridiculous HP and stats in all areas. *SWGOH fact 101: Gear triumphs most other factors

So how do you 'foresee' the next big thing? Let's use the all popular Sidious as an example:
    EbJbOKc.jpg

This is a maxed out Sid for current player cap of 60. If you have access to such a Sidious, you might've noticed that the only missing gear is available at level 61, meaning Sid has guaranteed GEAR VIII in the next patch. Adding on to that, the next required gear is currently very close to the current level caps, we can also safely imply that Sid has a reasonable chance to get GEAR IX, or at least filling up 5/6 of the gear slots of GEAR VIII tier. Sid's gear prospects are good!

HOWEVER... If you do look at Sid's possible skill upgrades, they all add 5% dmg (quite miserable), the leader skill only adds 1% more crit chance at level70... The only saving grace being the upgrade for his unique <Sadistic Glee> getting a 25% additional chance to gain turn meter on any unit defeated. Sid's skill prospects are poor...

So is Sid worth upgrading? Very likely, but don't expect him to grow in power exponentially unless the gear upgrades are really amazing at GEAR VIII.

An example of good skill/gear prospects for level70 cap is IG-88, who has +15% crit dmg to his unique at level 62, there's even a possible chance to upgrade it further since the cap is 70, far from 62. He also good gear prospects as well. Study it up yourself if you want to know why.

Now let's look at what's BAD. So here we have Jedi Consular, who currently is a great character for being easy to farm and GEAR VIII and heals and dmg and OMG HE'S SO GOOD. But wait.. he might fall off the podium with the next update.

1A4xLrB.png

That is one of the equipment JC currently needs. Requirement at level 73. Basically with the new level cap of 70. JC cant even get a SINGLE gear upgrade, LOL!

Continuing, his skill upgrade get 5% dmg or 5% heal. Minuscule for the ability mats required...

Basically, other than getting stat bonus for leveling him from 60-70, he doesn't benefit for the update at all. JC might just be replaced by other healers, maybe with gear upgrades, even Barriss might out-damage his basics, maybe :sunglasses:

Getting excited now? Meta is changing! It never stays the same, just like the real world, you have to adapt to the changing times. If you have characters not maxed yet and want to see their skill upgrades and stats and whatsoever, http://www.swgohcantina.com/ has a community built database for your research.

Nothing I've brought up here is a certainty, but there is a very likely possibility. Therefore do read this information and put it to use at your own discretion.

Replies

• Is it just me or is the yellow text hard to read. Otherwise, interesting thoughts. I'm hoping some new events & challenges come with the level cap so we have content to scale with the new levels.
  • Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the yellow text hard to read. Otherwise, interesting thoughts. I'm hoping some new events & challenges come with the level cap so we have content to scale with the new levels.

Does it? My forum background is blue, so it actually contrasts nicely. I'll try red instead :lol:
  • Good post.

I fear my JC failing onme soon. Most requirements for purple gear are hard to find or require a ridiculous amount of loot that is not worth even spending crystals on getting

My bet on the new update would be on Windu, Resistance members and maybe some of the scoundrels?

Biggest fear now is that my top6 toons need to be replaced with next meta toons lol.
  • I hope they not increase lvl cap for another 2 mth coz i'm not cap yet.

I think more new player join in than 4mth player. Most likely those old bluffer who keep throwing tantrum not spending much anymore but new player do.

If cg listen to minority on the net, this game would not last till episode 8.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Ya I just hit 60 myself around Xmas. Got 700k credits and no mk3 ability mats because I can't even get a full 7* team fielded yet. Work in progress though. Too many characters I wanted to level up.

On the road to 70 I'm going to just level up my main 5 which will be phasma,dooku,Lum,Sidious and ren.

I'm continuing to farm fives as a side project while I 7* dooku, ren and phasma

We will see which new characters they release here soon but I've spent too much already and want to keep playing more as f2p. It's more fun to farm characters and see them grow than just buy everything.

I'm pretty proud of getting ren to just about 6* now without having bought his pack.
  • I've been hoarding everything since I hit 60. I'm good. I've got all my guys ready to hit gear VIII, a few million in the bank, and about 4000 training droids.

I was going to raise my Fives and Daka from 1 to 60 but the announcement came just in time lol. Saved me 2.2 million.
  • Belg
    38 posts Member
    I am buying big into the "Resistance" where possible. There is no way in the world that they will be left behind in the next patch. Every man and his dog has Phasma / Kylo. I want to run Finn / Poe / Rey / Res Pilot / Res Trooper
  • SeroZero wrote: »
    Cpt_Dan wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the yellow text hard to read. Otherwise, interesting thoughts. I'm hoping some new events & challenges come with the level cap so we have content to scale with the new levels.

Does it? My forum background is blue, so it actually contrasts nicely. I'll try red instead :lol:

Great post! I Always enjoy your info sero.

Glad to see you are back

• Great post. I liked the attention to detail ;)
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    Thanks SeroZero, what do you think about the future of droid teams?
  • Nice post and indeedmstuff to think about. Hope it will be another few weeks out for more savings xd
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Slushie
    425 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I've been hoarding everything since I hit 60. I'm good. I've got all my guys ready to hit gear VIII, a few million in the bank, and about 4000 training droids.

I was going to raise my Fives and Daka from 1 to 60 but the announcement came just in time lol. Saved me 2.2 million.

What announcement? I can't find any posts on the forums or in game? Am I blind? :s

Edit: Nevermind, I was blind. Just found the post :p
  • Jeks
    52 posts Member
    I'm not really hoarding or saving, though perhaps I should. I remember the slog from 59-60 was 2-3 days so I'm hoping that I have the time to build the mats along the way for the upgrades!

I think the other thing that will be interesting is the impact that gear 8 has on stats - esp things like speed or hp. I'm in the process of gearing up poe atm and read that at max gear he'll be 138 speed - but I can see at gear 7 completion he'll only be 123. That's quite a speed jump within just 1 tier of gear! I'm imaging what kind of transformation could be possible for chars like Darth Maul.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    This is one of the best posts I've ever read on here. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us. It was for the very reason you posted that I got IG88 to 7* and also left JC at 6*. I'm making moves to prepare the best team I've ever had for 70 and I made a lot of my choices based on all your points. I'm trying to pick characters that are not part of the current meta to create a something different that is competitive... but also will garner the most improvement through gear. Unfortunately I still have so much to learn about the characters in general that I am "guessing" if my new synergy will work..which is scary. But again thank you for the post..wonderful information once again @SeroZero please keep sharing your knowledge with us.
  • rotam
    120 posts Member
    Related to this, I have been thinking if there is any real benefit for those last pieces of gear we all know about, yeah, those for the 5% tenacity that requires 20 items. Obviously we will have to upgrade them when they raise the level cap, but, now? is it worth it?
  • Tak wrote: »
    Ya I just hit 60 myself around Xmas. Got 700k credits and no mk3 ability mats because I can't even get a full 7* team fielded yet. Work in progress though. Too many characters I wanted to level up.

On the road to 70 I'm going to just level up my main 5 which will be phasma,dooku,Lum,Sidious and ren.

I'm continuing to farm fives as a side project while I 7* dooku, ren and phasma

We will see which new characters they release here soon but I've spent too much already and want to keep playing more as f2p. It's more fun to farm characters and see them grow than just buy everything.

I'm pretty proud of getting ren to just about 6* now without having bought his pack.

I have been farming 4c since it went live and combined with the 7 shards given still have 11 to go =(
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    If you've leveled abilities on heroes with 3-5 you may have noticed a patern on level requirements. So heroes with 3 abilities may be able to get their basic up to level 8, but I doubt it. Most likely we'll only see abilities go to level 7.

And based on the level requirements for JCs VII gear and the typical jumps in level requirements from VI to VIII, I doubt anyone will be gearing to IX.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • If the "imminent" level cap increase is sooner than April I'll pull out MY pitchfork.

Seriously, this is nice throerycraft OP but this game wasn't released officially until November. It took WoW three years to increase the level cap to 70. Why do you guys act like you think EA is going to move the goal posts in 4 months???
  • @Tiggerz
    Because they already said the cap was going up this month....read the New Years post.
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Tiggerz wrote: »
    If the "imminent" level cap increase is sooner than April I'll pull out MY pitchfork.

Seriously, this is nice throerycraft OP but this game wasn't released officially until November. It took WoW three years to increase the level cap to 70. Why do you guys act like you think EA is going to move the goal posts in 4 months???

Because WoW didnt have areas with a sign that says come back at a higher level and have items with a higher level requirement than the cap already in the game?
  • I understand where OP is coming from, being playing since softlaunch (4 months) and being max capped at level and toons.
    But I hope they wait a little longer with increasing the cap, I'm lvl 57 currently and altough I've bought crystals (and more than enough mistakes of buying chromium cards), I still feel that I lag behind most of the players as it is right now (there's alot of max geared toons everywhere except in my rooster).

But I don't want the game to become stagnant for the long haul players either, and definatly see the need for the coming cap raise.
    Maybe we'll see some changes in GW or similar (maybe a new form of GW?) that's for the higher capped players.
    Looking forward to new toons and such, but as I realize that I get very little for what I put in the game (money wise), I know that it will be a long tedious grind when the cap is raised...
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Don't forget about stockpiling Energy, too ;)

I'm up to 20K Energy and counting!
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    You can't stockpile energy, what are you talking about..
    Unless you're refilling with crystals and let the regular refill pass?
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Darivon
    134 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    As always Great Post @SeroZero !
    I think one of the ways people can prepare for this update as well as for all the ones to come is by getting in a different sort of "mindset" in view of how starring, gearing and building toons in general is goin to evolve.
    It could be that 6* is going to be kinda the new 7*.
    Personally the more toons i build the more i get the feeling that the breakdown will be something like this:
    • At 4* the Character feels "Okay" with a (very) noticeable disadvantage in performace, compared to all the 7* out there. Nevertheless Characters with extraordinary abilities CAN be viable in end game, even at that level (e.g. Obi-Wan)
    • At 5* the Character starts feeling "decent", but he's not quite there yet. He CAN compete with 7* although there is still a noticeable difference. (e.g. Poggle, perfectlly fine even at that level )
    • At 6* is where the Character starts to shine. Now you can start evaluating how this specific toon is going to perform in your squad and in PvP in general. At that level the Character CAN definitely compete with the 7* out there with a very slight difference in performance. Yes, even in top 10. ( e.g. Boba )
    • At 7* the Character is maxed and at the peak of it's possible performance. Considering the steep 100 shard promotion cost this could be viewed as "icing on the cake" since the bump from 6* to 7* doesn't feel as big as the other ones. Very promising/"OP"/easy farmable or just favorite Characters can and should still be brought to 7* to push that star advantage or just to be at the same level of power as everyone else in the top 10. Those toons are going to be the "Core" of the squad ( e.g. Sid, Lumi ).
    Now there are exceptions to this "rule" of course, like the Tie Fighter Pilot who gets a huge bump in HP once he hits 7* but i think it's important to get out of the mindset that you just "HAVE TO" 7 star every single toon you start building in order to be competitive. Yes, even at the top.
    Going from there people can start economising and allocating the available resources according to their personal way of playing and enjoying the game.
    With all that in mind the long road to a somewhat viable Rey in your squad is ALMOST worth considering. It's still a long road tho.
    Post edited by Darivon on
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    CronozNL wrote: »

Yep, exactly =)
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Naecabon wrote: »

Yep, exactly =)
    That's costing you a lot of gear and shards you could be farming though, isn't it? A full refresh/day?
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Rolf wrote: »

Yep, exactly =)
    That's costing you a lot of gear and shards you could be farming though, isn't it? A full refresh/day?

That doesn't make sense no reason to stockpile energy lol
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Tak wrote: »
    Rolf wrote: »

Yep, exactly =)

That doesn't make sense no reason to stockpile energy lol

Would give him a huge head start to 70 over everyone if he has 20k saved. You only get what 900e extra a day if you go all the way through the 200s on refreshes or 1200e through the 400s.

To the OP good read
  • RonTom
    268 posts Member

Yep, exactly =)

Taht's bloody brilliant. You've got 20k experience just waiting to be collected. I wish I had started the game a little earlier, I'm only at 56 now so I probably won't even reach 60 before the level cap increases... :(
  • Keaven wrote: »
    If you've leveled abilities on heroes with 3-5 you may have noticed a patern on level requirements. So heroes with 3 abilities may be able to get their basic up to level 8, but I doubt it. Most likely we'll only see abilities go to level 7.

And based on the level requirements for JCs VII gear and the typical jumps in level requirements from VI to VIII, I doubt anyone will be gearing to IX.

Greedo will get gear IX at level 61. It's a remote possibility he will make it to gear X.