With a new level cap coming, what can you do?

Replies

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Well, it's an interesting strategy to some extent. But I don't think a very optimal one, because you are giving up a LOT of free energy refills, and other limited resources, to do it. Thousands of free energy points thrown away. You also lose many free attempts to get shards and gear pieces. So you get no progression in the game for weeks while others are gearing/leveling up and prepping to gear/level up characters.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Well, it's an interesting strategy to some extent. But I don't think a very optimal one, because you are giving up a LOT of free energy refills, and other limited resources, to do it. Thousands of free energy points thrown away. You also lose many free attempts to get shards and gear pieces. So you get no progression in the game for weeks while others are gearing/leveling up and prepping to gear/level up characters.
    It's not the strategy I'd choose either, but there may be some benefit to suddenly hitting level 70 right after the game change is made. Assuming he's got the droids and credits he can instantly have his primary team ten levels over the rest of us. If he's got the ability mats for the corresponding skills, and the gear ready to go then it could make a real difference. No knowing till then I guess.
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    I made the decision to start saving it after I had reached max skills/gear on multiple teams. Each day logging in and spending that energy knowing in my bones a level cap raise was imminent made me regret throwing the XP away. It's likely going from 60 to 70 will cost something like 35-40k XP, so rather than grind that out over a long period of time I decided to just start sitting on it.

I spend my Cantina energy each day as the amount you can rebuy there is not nearly as much and by saving that the % of daily refill I would be losing to the amount I was buying was much too high. By just rebuying and sitting on basic energy, I'm losing 240 natural a day but gaining 1200 in the bank (I buy the 50/100/200 rebuys, not the 400/900/1600 because anyone that buys those is an ****, I don't care how rich you are) to sit and wait made me feel better about it.

I mean, spending that on gear for my D E and F teams just seemed meh, and now when that patch hits I'll have a TON of play time saved up with the new content. Lose a little now, gain a lot later. Works for me!
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Naecabon wrote: »
    I made the decision to start saving it after I had reached max skills/gear on multiple teams. Each day logging in and spending that energy knowing in my bones a level cap raise was imminent made me regret throwing the XP away. It's likely going from 60 to 70 will cost something like 35-40k XP, so rather than grind that out over a long period of time I decided to just start sitting on it.

I spend my Cantina energy each day as the amount you can rebuy there is not nearly as much and by saving that the % of daily refill I would be losing to the amount I was buying was much too high. By just rebuying and sitting on basic energy, I'm losing 240 natural a day but gaining 1200 in the bank (I buy the 50/100/200 rebuys, not the 400/900/1600 because anyone that buys those is an ****, I don't care how rich you are) to sit and wait made me feel better about it.

I mean, spending that on gear for my D E and F teams just seemed meh, and now when that patch hits I'll have a TON of play time saved up with the new content. Lose a little now, gain a lot later. Works for me!
    Well good luck! Always nice to see alternate strategies!
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • I like the idea about saving energy. I dont even have a B team leveled and geared up to do that though. And this post was exactly what i was thinking about the other day. I was thinking the ones who are gear 8 now JC Boba may lose some luster with the increase. I was also looking into what characters have the biggest Str/agi/ etc gain per level.. Thats ten more levels of dmg / hps. Might not be much most likely but i was bored looking at it. IE will maul die even faster now at 70 and or will his dmg boost outweigh the other characters health gains.
  • rotam wrote: »
    Related to this, I have been thinking if there is any real benefit for those last pieces of gear we all know about, yeah, those for the 5% tenacity that requires 20 items. Obviously we will have to upgrade them when they raise the level cap, but, now? is it worth it?

Definitely, Tenacity currently equates to the ability of your character resisting debuffs. Although a 5% tenacity increase sounds minor, another gear of str/int/agi might only increase your HP/DMG only by 2-5% as well, they just don't feel that way since they use values instead of percentages. With the current meta where everyone throws 1 debuff or another at you (speed down, offense down, stuns, heal immunity), tenacity is actually a rather important stat. Leveling your characters already increases your HP/DMG stats etc, but stats like tenacity/potency/speed all depend on gears.

Apart from that, i noticed someone asked about droid's viability, from what I see, it still looks good.
    • HK47 upgrades well, also getting a 5% more crit chance to all droids @ level70 for his leader
    • IG-88 upgrades well, getting good power-ups for both gear/skills for the cap increase
    • IG-86 upgrades decently, able to get to GEAR VIII, however skills at 5% dmg though, nothing special.
    • Poggle well... doesn't really depend on the gear much, but he does get GEAR VIII and 1% more evasion with unique (with 4 droids as his mates, he gets 4% more actually)
    • Possible Return of the Jedi with the next update. We saw Order 66 executed the last patch, Yoda's missing and Windu's looking for a buff. If the Jedi rises once more with anti-sith attributes, you can depend once more on the droids. Droids are missing key characters too. If anything throughout the entire Star Wars series we've seen characters come and go, die and become part of the force. But one thing remains... DROIDS LIVE FOREVER!
      As seen in latest SWFA movie, C3PO and R2D2 is still alive, although someone died trololol.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Stockpiling energy is terribly inefficient. A lot of XP will be needed to get to level 70.

You get 1XP per energy. With what you stockpile you might go straight to 71 and that's about it.

You get 930 XP from dailies, which is equivilent to about 7 refils. So it wont take long to catch up to anyone stockpiling energy.

Personally I am using that energy now to farm gear components which is far more relevant than hero level to power ratio. The cost of stockpiling plus benefits of regen energy vs the benefits of a slight level boost at cap increase are far outweighed.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Keaven wrote: »
    Stockpiling energy is terribly inefficient. A lot of XP will be needed to get to level 70.

You get 1XP per energy. With what you stockpile you might go straight to 71 and that's about it.

You get 930 XP from dailies, which is equivilent to about 7 refils. So it wont take long to catch up to anyone stockpiling energy.

Personally I am using that energy now to farm gear components which is far more relevant than hero level to power ratio. The cost of stockpiling plus benefits of regen energy vs the benefits of a slight level boost at cap increase are far outweighed.

I will go from Level 60 to Level 70 on the first day, I fail to see how that is inefficient? It will take you 1-2 weeks, or more, to go from 60 to 70 without stockpiling it beforehand.

The point is, the 240 I lose from stockpiling means very little to me at the moment. Inefficient for you, maybe, but incredibly effective for me. All o f the guys I use are level 60 / max geared, and I still do cantina battles / GW / Challenges so I'm still stockpiling Skill Ups and gear from those as well.

Additionally, Gear VIII + IX will more than likely require new crafting materials we can't farm until this new patch, which means I'll have 30k+ XP waiting ready to use on brand new gear we can't currently farm. I would rather stockpile and farm THAT, than waste it on the gear I can farm now.

Sorry, I just think this strategy is the best for me and my roster at the moment.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Accidental double post.
  • @SeroZero - Thanks for this phenomenal post! It's insightful, detailed, and sparks a lot of interesting thoughts. Bravo! B)
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Keaven wrote: »

I will go from Level 60 to Level 70 on the first day, I fail to see how that is inefficient? It will take you 1-2 weeks, or more, to go from 60 to 70 without stockpiling it beforehand.

The point is, the 240 I lose from stockpiling means very little to me at the moment. Inefficient for you, maybe, but incredibly effective for me. All o f the guys I use are level 60 / max geared, and I still do cantina battles / GW / Challenges so I'm still stockpiling Skill Ups and gear from those as well.

Additionally, Gear VIII + IX will more than likely require new crafting materials we can't farm until this new patch, which means I'll have 30k+ XP waiting ready to use on brand new gear we can't currently farm. I would rather stockpile and farm THAT, than waste it on the gear I can farm now.

Sorry, I just think this strategy is the best for me and my roster at the moment.
    How much energy do you have now, and how much XP will you need to get to 70?
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Going from level 59 to 60, if memory serves me right, was 3500 XP. So I'm expecting 60 to 61 to be about 3600, then 62 3700, so on and so forth. This would mean the average level from 60 to 70 is about 4000 XP.

You also generate Energy, both Cantina and basic, every time you level up, so this needs to be factored in - at my current level, it will probably be a combined amount of around 250. So we can subtract that from each level and go down to 3750. Also take in to consideration the 800 XP from the first day of quests, and let's just say it's about 3700ish.

3700 x 10 = 37000 XP is my target mark to almost assure myself Level 70 on Day One of the new patch.

I am currently at 21500 and gaining about 1200 a day. So, if the patch is in about two weeks or longer, which I expect it probably will be, I'll be good to go. If it's within the next 5-10 days, it'll take a bit longer but I'll still be able to get to about 66-67 on the first day.
  • You may have the energy but the what about the credit costs of raising your A team up to 70 in a day. Or the gear to bring them to IX. Your going to hit a bottleneck somewhere.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I have about 12 million credits, 6000 Tier 1 Droids and 4000 Tier 2 Droids, hundreds of the others, and the point is to use the saved up energy to GET the gear for IX. I can spend 30k xp on the new levels for the new gear on the first day. I'll generate a ton more droids from spending all of the energy and I still have many more GWs for creds before the patch too.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    @ Naecabon
    I actually like that plan and you are definately right that it's worth it for you. I'm only not sure if I should start saving up some myself too. I still need some gear pieces from the "old" gear for 60+ but the extra levels you gain on day 1 of the patch, is worth it (only gearwise :)). Levels doesn't say much, gear does. And indeed by unlocking the new missions, you will be able to farm new gear pretty fast also.
    Gives you a headstart on day 1 and makes you able to snipe Arena :D
    Just hope that starting today get's me there as well. If they release new update somewhere half-end of januari, I'll be satisfied.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Fascinating strategy!
  • I'll probably lag way behind because I only have like 6, almost 7 heroes in max gear. I have no real hoard besides some tokens and I'll not have credits at least. I do have a ton of droids but they could go fast, maybe a few levels post 60.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    @Cpt_Dan That's why I hope it get's postponed a little bit. Would give us (you/me i.e.) some more time to gather up. I like the energy idea from Naecabon. Even if it only get's me to lvl 61, means I can gear up some toons that req. lvl 61 for it (sid).
  • DanTom
    975 posts SWGOH Dev Team
    edited January 2016
    I will pray to RNGesus for our souls. And maybe a new (worthwhile) pack.

You must save us RNGesus, you are our only hope!
  • Naecabon wrote: »

Talk about the outside-the-box thinking! While I am not in the position to do this, I never imagined this kind of creative approach and learned something. Thanks for sharing it. Please let us know how you progress once the cap limit is increased. ;)
  • Fantastic OP

Still very much a noob, only at level 51, so this sort of deeper thinking about characters' potential is incredibly insightful.

Great stuff
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016

Can I have the noob explanation of this tactic? Is it that you don't claim your dailies, don't they expire?

I purchase the energy rebuys at the cost of 50/100/200 and stop when it gets to 400. This nets me around 1200 energy. And then I don't use it for anything. So each day I'm netting +1200 and it's saving up for the patch, as I'm in no dire need to use it at the moment and I'd rather wait to see this patch.

Besides, we may get new toons, or changes/bug fixes and other stuff and the team I think I may want to use in this patch may not be the team I end up using at all after it's all said and done. This way, I get to just save everything up and see it all in action before I need to make any final decisions.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Top_Quark wrote: »

Can I have the noob explanation of this tactic? Is it that you don't claim your dailies, don't they expire?

I purchase the energy rebuys at the cost of 50/100/200 and stop when it gets to 400. This nets me around 1200 energy. And then I don't use it for anything. So each day I'm netting +1200 and it's saving up for the patch, as I'm in no dire need to use it at the moment and I'd rather wait to see this patch.

Besides, we may get new toons, or changes/bug fixes and other stuff and the team I think I may want to use in this patch may not be the team I end up using at all after it's all said and done. This way, I get to just save everything up and see it all in action before I need to make any final decisions.

Ooooh thanks, completely different than what I imagined. So you do this at the cost of natural refilling. Will try to assess if it's suitable for me.

Edit: 240 energy loss per day, hmm.

It's only suitable for me because I was "finished" gearing/leveling all of the teams I planned on using at the time. If you still have gear to get in the moment, it probably isn't preferable for you, because you're going to be farming for that same gear right away when the patch lands anyway!

• Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    @Naecabon love your strat, wish I coul do that, but I'm only a mear lvl 55, and only 6 toons at that lvl/gear, and I think it's smart to "vaist" the free energy refill, and buy up energy at low cost
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    @ Top_Quark
    That's quite a loss, on the other hand if you have enough mats you can still do this.
    Otherwise you will be farming with the natural refills for stuff you don't really need. If you can save up some energy before the next patch, you will level faster (=faster new gear and ability upgrades).
    The thing I'm afraid of is the possibility that you lose every energy when new patch launches. Hope it doesn't happen ofcourse but if it does, I fear for Naecabon ^^

Imagine having saved up 20k energy only to see it reset to 0 after new update. @Naecabon any thoughts on this? Would be nice if you can ask the devs this and being guarenteed you won't lose the overcapped energy. In wow for example, they do lessen some resources when being overcapped.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    I can almost guarantee they would not do that, as it would basically mean they "stole" money from me.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member

Obviously do what's best for you. The gear grinding is less of an issue since you can catch up on that. But you are losing out on a lot in terms of characters that level up through hard missions. You get 3 free shots at these per day, and you are letting them all slide by.
    Aren't you also unable to complete daily missions by doing this? That's a fair bit of goodies that are again lost.
    All of this for getting to 70 a few days ahead of other players, and really, what does that even matter? It's not like there's some sort of serious, real PvP in this game.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Qeltar wrote: »

Obviously do what's best for you. The gear grinding is less of an issue since you can catch up on that. But you are losing out on a lot in terms of characters that level up through hard missions. You get 3 free shots at these per day, and you are letting them all slide by.
    Aren't you also unable to complete daily missions by doing this? That's a fair bit of goodies that are again lost.
    All of this for getting to 70 a few days ahead of other players, and really, what does that even matter? It's not like there's some sort of serious, real PvP in this game.

I complete all but a few daily missions, I think three (hard modes, light/dark battles) missions and then the complete all mission. But, honestly, I'm not losing much there.

As for character shards, well, again... to each his own. I'll just say this is not an issue for me at the moment.

It's more than just a few days, more like up to two weeks at best, and again... it means I have all of this ready to go for new content. Patch day is gonna be so fun!
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Very well thought out. I wish I was in a place where I could plan this but as I am still only 54 and still don't have my first purple gear I think I will be doing it the slow way.

Kudos on thinking ahead.
  • Naecabon wrote: »

It's only suitable for me because I was "finished" gearing/leveling all of the teams I planned on using at the time. If you still have gear to get in the moment, it probably isn't preferable for you, because you're going to be farming for that same gear right away when the patch lands anyway!

How is your earn rate on crystals? Paying for them one in a while or all from the game? Not judging your strategy, just curious on how you are working your crystal economy