Kicking the addiction

Nonemo
1656 posts Member
I started gaming in 1985. I grew up with a joypad in my hands. I don't know exactly when the habit turned into a compelling need, but the periods of intensive gaming coincided with strange accuracy with the times of great challenges in real life.

A divorce struck the family hard, well guess who just got his hands on a brand new Snes. Teen anxiety? There's a J-RPG for that. Moved from home, time to start carving your path in life, how fitting that this open-world Baldur's Gate game just came out.

I spent half a year of my life in Azeroth. Even longer in Tamriel. In real life, that was a very tough and lonely period to go through.

Last year I burned out from working too much. Stress levels up there where sleeping is a chore and chores are projects. Guess what, mobile Star Wars games caught my attention. Hardcore played Force Collection and spent big money on it. I only just got tired of that and sold off when this new shiny gem started rattling around in the Google Play barrel of miscellaneous time sinks. A few months later I'm a renowned whale and spend most of my waking hours reading about GOH, discussing it or playing it.

Not everybody gets addicted to gaming. But some do. I know for a fact that I easily get addicted, and there's no shame in that - as long as I act responsibly about it.

If you happen to be among those who find that you're spending a little bit more than you are really comfortable with - be it time or money - please consider that you may not be alone in this, and if there may be real life things compelling you to perhaps escape to a more comfortable place, with unending yet safe little projects and a myriad of small rewards for staying just a little longer.

This is not an appeal to action, but the testimony of somebody who knows what an addiction can look like. That time and money are never coming back. If you can regulate your behaviour and play for leisure, then I'm happy for you. Me, I'm realising that I can't win that battle. I'm uninstalling GOH now. Big thanks to CG/EA for the enjoyment and the high quality product, and thanks to the GOH community for many good discussions.

(Anybody want to chat, I'm on Line, ID: Wickywire)

And yes, you can have my stuff.

Replies