Drop rate on chromium packs blows

I herby refuse to spend any more money on this game. Level 58 and still have drawn nothing but shards and don't have enough to have a single special character. The only characters I have are ones that you can farm. Today got chromium pack with only 10 Leia shards but nooo takes 25 to unlock and can't farm her!!!!!!! /end rant
Ingame name Daremo
Player Ally Code: 631-533-975

Replies

• Yeah drop rates everywhere are much too light.
  • At least this game doesn't have a scroll that says player John pulled Darth Maul, player John pulled Old Ben, etc. Thing is, player John just opened $500 worth of packs. The odds in packs are never in your favor. RNG is a cruel dude.
  • Yes but even then if the chromium pack doesnt draw a character it should at least drop enough shards to unlock something. I mean come on only 10 shards for a drop only character?
    Ingame name Daremo
    Player Ally Code: 631-533-975
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    My number one piece of advice to any player is to never buy Chromium packs unless you like throwing hundreds or maybe thousands away only to maybe receive something of worth if you are lucky.

If you choose to spend, I'd say crystals are about it and maybe second choice would be some packs that offer value like the Dooku pack perhaps although I believe the other packs are far too expensive for what you get
  • Everytime you see a 7* Qui Gon and Leia just know they spent at least $1500.

There's no inbetween in SWGoH, only whale and f2p. If you spend a little money it means nothing cause you can never star those characters up. It's a really cruel model.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    Rule number 1 in this game: Don't buy packs thinking it's a way to skip farming. Use the crystals to farm.

The only time this rule doesn't apply is if you have enough money to spend on LOTS of packs.

If you can only afford to buy 2 8 packs, inevitably you will get Maul and Leia, characters you can only get in packs. So, now you have 2 characters but no way to increase them!
  • Harmson wrote: »
    Yes but even then if the chromium pack doesnt draw a character it should at least drop enough shards to unlock something. I mean come on only 10 shards for a drop only character?

Oh, I definitely agree with you. The packs, and structure for increasing pack only characters is an absurd money grab. Every pack should have a character in it, with pack only characters the rarest, obviously. As mentioned, if you're not going to spend big on packs, don't spend at all. It's a fool's errand.
  • I bought an 8-pack this morning. I'm only one week in, so almost any char benefits me. Only full char I got was 1* underground police... On the bright side I did get a couple ewoks! (holds fake gun up to head) will only buy crystals for farming and PvP rank as those seem to be the only worthwhile uses.
  • I got Lando 4* from 8-chromium and i can never star him since i never gonna spend $ on chromium again.
    But he has come handy in PVP
    I don't like the text how they say drops eight of the following characters, or character shards
    Since I got one toon it had felt better with it drops shards and maybe 1 toon
  • Lol, I think some account are flaged as lucky and other not lucky. Maybe there's a secret to getting great drops? Did you know they can control the drops in their favor? It's not all RNG.
  • Taker_Ren
    10 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I got characters like Sidious, Old Ben and Kylo Ren from a a few chromium packs. It's luck based with a good chance to pull Royal Guards and Ewoks. Just stop whining because you pulled duds. Either buy refills or chromium packs - it's your decision.
    Post edited by Hozilla on
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Taker_Ren wrote: »
    I got characters like Sidious, Old Ben and Kylo Ren from a a few chromium packs. It's luck based with a good chance to pull Royal Guards and Ewoks. Just stop whining because you pulled ****. Either buy refills or chromium packs - it's your decision.

It's nice to pull a character but they literally mean nothing late game without being at least 5*s. So good luck with that Old Ben. I had a couple good pulls too but they're rotting in my roster. ;P
  • Look, these companies spend a lot of time and money analyzing us. They know that people with addiction problems will go poor on micro purchases and chasing RNG. They need your addiction to make even more money. Sugar is addicting and doesn't make you feel full, that's why it's in everything, so you have to buy more of it!

Addiction is nothing more than what's firing off in your brain. Certain brains are wired differently. Science. These companies study this and know this. They design systems to prey on your actual brain. They hire people who know all this and consult them on pay structures and other aspects of game design.

Which is why you must use you mind and intellect. Not just your brain.

Learn how the world works around you, and you'll become less of a sucker.
  • Iv'e actually had goid luck on packs and would recommend them. In a 4x pack I pulled Maul. In an 8x packI pulled barris and ackbar
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    what are you going to do with a 4* maul that has 3000 hp?

Unless you drop another $500 into packs, he will be a 4* maul for the rest of his existence.

This basically means you bought a 4 pack and got 3 cards.
  • I pull packs, but only with the 'free' crystals I get from Arena ranking and daily rewards. I've pulled a couple good characters (Kylo Ren, Ima-Gun Di), but mostly shards. Although I do wish they would drop characters more often - or at least not drop shards of 1* and 2* characters (looking at you Royal Guard, Ewok, Ugnaught and Ahsoka shards I keep getting) - I can't complain too much overall since whatever I get is free.

At the end of the day, it might be more worthwhile to invest the gems into cantina energy refresh, but there are many days the drop rate of shards in those missions is only 1 out of 4 for me, so hard to justify it. In the end I like the 'chance' of drawing a complete character from packs, so it's worth it to me :smile:
  • I really like this game. I thought it would be another "card battle" type game that I download and delete after trying. But this game has real strategy and some action.

Promised myself I would never do an in-app purchase, but you know how that goes.

I bought an 8-pack chromium card yesterday, and it was god awful. Here are the shards I got:

12 Jedi knight guardian (will not use)
    24 Ururuururruururururrr (you need 80 to unlock)
    12 Asajj Ventress (meh)
    10 Grand Moff Tarkin (only 70 more to go to unlock this old raisin!)
    12 Ewok Scout (I got him at the beginning of the game and have not / will not promote him). Seriously, screw Ewoks.
    15 Coruscant Underworld Police (unlocked character, but I will not promote him)

Then there are supposed to be 2 new character drops. This is what I got:
    7 shards of Jedi Consular (it said because I already had the character, it just gave me bonus shards. But only 7, really?!)
    25 shards of Cad Bane. (Again, already had him, so these are bonus shards.

These packs should be designed to give 2 absolute new characters for the money ($20 gives you enough crystals to buy an 8 pack). I understand there is a randomness to it, but it should be balanced to avoid total suckdom.

• Harmson wrote: »
    I herby refuse to spend any more money on this game. Level 58 and still have drawn nothing but shards and don't have enough to have a single special character. The only characters I have are ones that you can farm. Today got chromium pack with only 10 Leia shards but nooo takes 25 to unlock and can't farm her!!!!!!! /end rant

Yeah but on the other hand, anyone with maxxed farmable characters can beat someone who has spent thousands on the game.
  • Barrok wrote: »

Unless you drop another $500 into packs, he will be a 4* maul for the rest of his existence.

So you know as a fact they will never release Maul shards? I didn't know you possessed the ability to see into the future.

• Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    No, I have no idea if they will release Maul shards. But currently, they haven't. You can't assume they will.

If they don't, you are stuck with a 4 maul forever. If they do, you are stuck with a 4 maul till then, and then you have to farm him.

Thanks for the smart alec remark though.
  • Harmonica1138
    33 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    ***Nobody should be buying Chromium 4x or 8x packs due to a bug (not the visual one) where you do not receive the correct number of character shards.***

You can see a topic about this in the Bugs forum and it is currently under investigation by the dev. team. EA_Jesse has been looking in to the issue and made a post about it today.
  • Save me RNGjesus your my only hope.
  • Plotts wrote: »
    Look, these companies spend a lot of time and money analyzing us. They know that people with addiction problems will go poor on micro purchases and chasing RNG. They need your addiction to make even more money. Sugar is addicting and doesn't make you feel full, that's why it's in everything, so you have to buy more of it!

Addiction is nothing more than what's firing off in your brain. Certain brains are wired differently. Science. These companies study this and know this. They design systems to prey on your actual brain. They hire people who know all this and consult them on pay structures and other aspects of game design.

Which is why you must use you mind and intellect. Not just your brain.

Learn how the world works around you, and you'll become less of a sucker.

I really enjoy games like this that has time zone related prizes. I've dumped about $40 USD into this since I started a couple weeks ago and so far I've been #1 in arena every day since about the 5th day or whatever as it as no one seems to be trying for #1 in my Australian time zone.

I'll keep playing for as long as my budget (maybe 60 to 80 USD) keeps me "having fun", having been playing games for well over 30 years, I'm used to a price range of $50 to $100 for games and try not to get suckered for (lots) more as I've been there and done that with losing control and blowing a heap in IAP then getting bored of the game. Also, having 2 kids that just both finally entered school age this year, money is a little more important for them than just me.

I'm glad this pay model wasn't around 10 to 20 years ago when I was gaming in any spare time, I'd have spent thousands, monthly on these type games.
  • Not adding to your pain, but this just sounds very unlucky. I won't say the drop odds are great, but I haven't had any trouble fielding a competitive team for under $200. The only heroes I'm missing I don't really need. I view the CP's as a supplement to the other methods of getting shards for the most part, though I have been lucky enough to drop three exclusive character's with minimal spending on CP's. Of those three, I have only used one of them regularly, the CP's haven't been a big factor for me personally as far as my best lineup.
    IGN: jq