Why is everyone still stuck on Dooku?!

Prev1
There are so so many different viable teams now. Why are so many people still running Dooku teams? "If it ain't broke..."? Too lazy?

Replies

• Arkangil
    64 posts Member
    Well for my part, my max level/gear/star characters are a mix. I run dooku with daka, 86, poggle, and either 88 or Luke depending. Other high characters I have are sid, vader, lumi. That's it for 7*. So there are no better leaders for my hodgepodge of characters.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    Sadly, out of the 70+ characters in the game, only a small handful of them are actually useful outside of cannon fodder for GW. Dooku is still just as deadly as a Leader in Arena and the teams for the most part at the Top 10 haven't changed much.
  • Arkangil
    64 posts Member
    Well, I am top 150, not top 10, but I do see a lot of Dooku led top 10's. I am sure there are more/very effective teams with another leader when there is synergy. But for those of us who went after easy characters, or characters we just thought were cool before knowing the mechanics of the game (and I am talking about myself here), Dooku is a solid leader who doesn't need synergies to be solid.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Lack of imagination, I love fighting dooku teams in top 5 arena ez win
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    It's not laziness or a lack of imagination. Dooku is a fairly long farm. I just happened to 7* him shortly before they fixed his leader ability, and so stuck him in.

Honestly, I use him because he's one of the only possible ways to defend successfully. Dooku turns it away from bad AI and towards bad RNG. To date, I have yet to find a team I cannot be when I am on offense, but only with Dooku as leader have I had any success in holding rank.

For the record, my original team was a Phasma or Lumi-led hodgepodge of whatever I had. I switched to Phasma when she was 7*. It was easy enough to make top 50, but impossible to wake up top 100.

I am actively working on teams that will possibly perform better, but until I can field something that holds rank, there is no point in switching just because he is boring (which I totally agree he is boring).
  • Eleiem
    334 posts Member
    Servers have been slowly moving away from him.
    Preupdate our top 50 were easy 35 Dooku and 14 QGJ. The very same day of the update I took him away and put Phasma (rank 1-2 everyday pre, and after, update). I was the first, and from there everyone has began to bench him. Now out top 50 have 15 Dooku L or so.
  • It's mainly because RNG is basically the only way you can win on defense now. Since fights are all longer and the AI doesn't focus fire properly, the human player on offense should almost always win. Thus you can use any team you want on offense - as long as they are probably leveled, starred, and geared up then you should be able to win. However, the ONLY way you even have a chance at defending is if the AI gets crazy RNG. That's why people run with the Dooku/Daka/RG + 2 DPS (usually QGJ, GS or Rey). Sometimes the RNG just goes crazy in your favor and you will win on defense.
  • Because most leadership skills have too narrow of an application (they only impact allies of type X). There are what? 6-8 characters who can lead a diverse team and grant every member a reasonable skill? And of those 6-8 characters those granting Evasion are arguably better than stealth, defense, low chances at assists.
  • BMasu
    17 posts Member
    For me, it's just because I don't have anybody better. Dooku not great, but it's as good as I got
  • It is so hard now to level up and gear characters, people are kind of stuck where they are at the moment. There would be tons more variety if it were easier to obtain gear and shards.
    Empire Relic
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    If you are f2p, like me, he is pretty much the only good leader I have. I don't have the time/resources to just auto-swap a new team into place. I put all my eggs into a basket since the level cap forced me to do so and I will not have a large roster until i hit 80 and am given at least a year (in this hell of a grindy game) to get more toons. It takes almost 3 months of hard-node farming to hit a 7* champ.

it takes at least a month even if they exist on PVP tokens
    Same if you farm hard + cantina nodes.

Don't like it? Stop paying E.A. and make the game more reasonable to progress for the mass of the users
  • I'm with the responses above. People have put a lot of effort into him. And it's not just shards and gear but also ability mats. Then training droids and ever more expensive credits.

The new meta is fast becoming "stick with what you've got as it's too hard and expensive to change, and by the time you do, that character will get nerfed, and someone else buffed or introduced, and you'll have to invest all over again."
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    I'm with the responses above. People have put a lot of effort into him. And it's not just shards and gear but also ability mats. Then training droids and ever more expensive credits.

The new meta is fast becoming "stick with what you've got as it's too hard and expensive to change, and by the time you do, that character will get nerfed, and someone else buffed or introduced, and you'll have to invest all over again."

+1
  • Toukai wrote: »
    I'm with the responses above. People have put a lot of effort into him. And it's not just shards and gear but also ability mats. Then training droids and ever more expensive credits.

+1

Most logical way to put it. Makes sense. Sigh.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    He's still really effective as a leader and with a nice dose of RNG he can effectively neuter even the most powerful attackers. Rey in particular he can stun, he can multi attack to remove her foresight while still doing at least a couple thousand damage to her, and he can dodge her 12-16k attacks. Not to mention most teams now carry Qui Gon as a taunt counter and Dooku can effectively remove him from a match.

It's silly to call it laziness when people keep him running.
  • CashFlow
    39 posts Member
    Simple - He is still one of the best leaders in the game.
  • 50% laziness, 50% fear of being targeted for being different. There's no other explanation really, I wreck Dooku leads without using one myself. I can't tell you how ****ing sick I am of seeing them - at soft launch, just about every player on my server bought the $5 Dooku pack so I'm not getting away from them any time soon :neutral:.

I made a thread about how people are lazy and blinded by what they think is the "meta" a while back and got chewed out by - you guessed it - people using "meta" builds.
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Meta builds are usually easiest way to be competitive. You won't see many Leias and Aaylas flooding around although they are both top notch characters. Why? Both are P2P - and even so, they are hard farm.
  • kbonifay
    392 posts Member
    i ran far away from my dooku the more i started to see the meta shift to him. now i get to enjoy a broken 5s with Rex lead. :) super fun, cool synergy.

this is the direction the game should have taken.. focus on the synergy type (i.e. rebel, sith, jedi, clone, droid etc) but what do i know RG is still an annoying c*%t that i have to use to just stay relevant in the top ten.
  • CashFlow
    39 posts Member
    50% laziness, 50% fear of being targeted for being different. There's no other explanation really, I wreck Dooku leads without using one myself. I can't tell you how ****ing sick I am of seeing them - at soft launch, just about every player on my server bought the $5 Dooku pack so I'm not getting away from them any time soon :neutral:.

I made a thread about how people are lazy and blinded by what they think is the "meta" a while back and got chewed out by - you guessed it - people using "meta" builds.

You've got some hate in your heart bro - Happy much?
  • Tenchi1969
    340 posts Member
    I love him for the simple fact that he usually goes first, and can stun. Taking a character or 2 out of the game for a round. He is also so useful against Jedis with the stuns. Almost every team has 1-3 jedi. I love his evasion as it gives so many misses, and offense up.
    Subscribe to my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UClZS5GiOkbKp-meIU6vFxow?sub_confirmation=1

https://swgoh.gg/u/tenchi7/
  • Dooku has his own uses (stun, counter, bonus attack, leader ability), but he also hits weakly.

His main uses for me:
    1) Stun QGJ all match long.
    2) Guaranteed Offense Up for Rey because her second ability gives Foresight. AI likes to attack Rey, so most of the time she'll have her high damage third ability ready with Offense Up by her second turn.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    I like to change my teams up and can confirm that people attack you more if you use a different lead other than Dooku or QGJ lol. I actually never used Dooku except one time when I felt like trolling and set my level 5 Dooku as lead when I took #1. People usually give up after they lose once or twice and I'm back to staying top 10 overnight.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    If you want to stop seeing Dooku, then it's your responsibility - in arena, only attack Dooku leads. It will change in time if you're diligent.

If you don't, it encourages people to stick with Dooku because they know they get attacked less by using a character that annoys everyone.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    AndyChrono wrote: »
    It's mainly because RNG is basically the only way you can win on defense now. Since fights are all longer and the AI doesn't focus fire properly, the human player on offense should almost always win. Thus you can use any team you want on offense - as long as they are probably leveled, starred, and geared up then you should be able to win. However, the ONLY way you even have a chance at defending is if the AI gets crazy RNG. That's why people run with the Dooku/Daka/RG + 2 DPS (usually QGJ, GS or Rey). Sometimes the RNG just goes crazy in your favor and you will win on defense.

^^^
    Lots of teams are great on offense , but only a few have the RNG to win on defense.
  • saboater
    111 posts Member
    J7000 wrote: »
    AndyChrono wrote: »
    It's mainly because RNG is basically the only way you can win on defense now. Since fights are all longer and the AI doesn't focus fire properly, the human player on offense should almost always win. Thus you can use any team you want on offense - as long as they are probably leveled, starred, and geared up then you should be able to win. However, the ONLY way you even have a chance at defending is if the AI gets crazy RNG. That's why people run with the Dooku/Daka/RG + 2 DPS (usually QGJ, GS or Rey). Sometimes the RNG just goes crazy in your favor and you will win on defense.

^^^
    Lots of teams are great on offense , but only a few have the RNG to win on defense.

This.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    I'm using Dooku as a placeholder lead until I can get Old Ben farmed up, I think he outshines Dooku as the go to evasion lead now.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Huttplug
    10 posts Member
    The problem is that it takes time to level up additional characters/teams. Yeah there are additional viable options now, but not everyone is willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to immediately level up a new team to try out.

Team leads will become more diverse as ftp and Dolphins level up and gear more characters. Relief from this credit crunch and more access to gear 9/10 will increase diversity. Why would I replace my g9 dooku when I don't have the resources (credits/precrafted gear) to get characters to a similar power level?
  • int3ns1fy
    210 posts Member
    There are so so many different viable teams now. Why are so many people still running Dooku teams? "If it ain't broke..."? Too lazy?

Because he's still a good leader? There are very few universally-good leader abilities in this game, and Dooku has one of them. But unlike, say, Sid, he's still a powerful toon in his own right. Tell me, what other character has 2 stuns (one of which can hit more than one enemy), an ability block, counterattacking, and a self turn meter gain? Yeah, thought so.

Also, as someone else said it's all about possible **** RNG when you attack a team led by him that scares people away from attacking you. If I have a choice between, let's say, attacking a Sid-led team or a Dooku-led team, 9 times out of 10 I'll attack the Sid-led team. A string of bad dodges can really screw you over, so I'd rather not take that chance.
  • Dooku has his own uses (stun, counter, bonus attack, leader ability), but he also hits weakly.

His main uses for me:
    1) Stun QGJ all match long.
    2) Guaranteed Offense Up for Rey because her second ability gives Foresight. AI likes to attack Rey, so most of the time she'll have her high damage third ability ready with Offense Up by her second turn.

This here that @stupidfatfool said. He is on my shard and this description is accurate of his build. Dopoku lead is still very good. No I have not used Dooku in a few weeks myself, but his use is legit. The stun is good for Jedi, and that lead rocks, especiually for rey and others with good dodge like Daka and Poggle. Plus anytime RG dodges is a bonus.