Variety is Overrated

Who cares if every single player uses the same exact team? It's impossible to make every single toon and every single team composition equally balanced. If there's even the slightest advantage of using certain toons, most people will use them.

Those who claim to be anti-meta are like the wannabe hipsters in Brooklyn.

Replies

• I use fives instead of poe in my Droid team. Am I anti meta? Because Droids aren't meta. At least not like they were before the poe nerf.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Rock paper scissors. Takes more than one team to do that. Not saying the game has achieved this balance. But I think that's the goal.

IOW, some teams should beat other teams. One team should not be able to beat all other teams. Otherwise end game is really, really lame.
  • MLGebra
    343 posts Member
    Your opinion on game balance seems to be incredibly oversimplified. Aside from that, if you enjoy using the meta then do so, and those who deviate will carry on as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem that this post only serves to put down a particular group of players.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    MLGebra wrote: »
    Your opinion on game balance seems to be incredibly oversimplified. Aside from that, if you enjoy using the meta then do so, and those who deviate will carry on as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem that this post only serves to put down a particular group of players.
    Ding ding ding.

• Kinnick
    83 posts Member
    Who cares if every single player uses the same exact team? It's impossible to make every single toon and every single team composition equally balanced. If there's even the slightest advantage of using certain toons, most people will use them.

I use a pretty obscure meta. You've probably never heard of it.
  • I think he is just saying "anti meta" people are like vegetarians or atheist. They just have to make sure everyone knows while criticizing others
  • Different genre, I grant you, but the game Hearthstone has 10+ classes (factions) and 1000+ cards (characters) and it's almost perfectly balanced in that any class can beat any other. Balancing a game is not impossible; in fact, it would be a much easier task to balance GoH than Hearthstone - 83 characters vs 1000 characters, 5 character battles versus 30-card decks, low probability factor vs live PVP probability, etc.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member

I just love how binary that statement is.
    "Same exact team for everyone" or "every team composition equally balanced".

There is a middle ground you know, and it's not that hard to achieve. EA reduces the amount of viable teams on purpose, to keep the game environment under control. Then they release toons that can entirely dominate this environment, and grab cash.

They articulate the meta around a tank/dispell interaction, then release Sun Fac who can do both, consistently.
    They also include 40 RG shards in the raid pack, you are tempted to buy it.

They release small balance changes, ie Ackbar, to pump up Chromium toons (Leia), and, what a surprise, you also see Ackbar in the Raid pack.

EA/CG know exactly what they are doing marketing-wise. Their sale strategy is effective and pretty smart.

What's the funniest is that players themselves agree to this. Since it takes time to farm toons, most people are afraid of change

Perfect balance doesn't exist, but that should not stop us from trying to reach it.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    I think he is just saying "anti meta" people are like vegetarians or atheist. They just have to make sure everyone knows while criticizing others
    Those people are known as ****, actually, and they have no particular preference of diet or code.
  • Al_Jogor
    42 posts Member
    Maybe not all toons are made for arena?
    Some characters that you never would use in arena are great in GW or missions and other are good for raid.
    Not all are made to be great everywhere.
    Azzazzimon
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    The meta is a carefully crafted organism that is constantly evolving.

The idea is that it makes you farm as many heroes as possible, so you spend as much money as possible.

It does this by slightly changing here and there so that one day a hero is meta, the next day they're not. They can do this through buffs or nerfs or through other heroes outperforming or under performing against a certain hero as they progress through the levels.

Case in point, Sidious. He wasn't nerfed, he simply lost power relative to the rest of the pack. He fell behind while others soldiered on.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    I want to play what is fun to me. Qgj is not good as leader i play him as leader because he is fun. I am farming for Phasma too because i look forward to her procs. Can't wait to one shot people with gear 10 Rey. Han is also super fun compared to RG. These types of characters simply are fun to me. Yoda is one of the few utilities toon i still enjoy to play. Otherwise i want attack power and a lot of it and i simply do not care if everyone else has them as long as i can win in offense.
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    I think he is just saying "anti meta" people are like vegetarians or atheist. They just have to make sure everyone knows while criticizing others

I don't think atheists criticise others; they're typically too intelligent to condescend to the level of the religious-minded.

• Those who claim to be anti-meta are like the wannabe hipsters in Brooklyn.

I don't get it.

I use characters and/or themed builds that I actually like. Then I try to make them work the best I can. I don't let the meta dictate my game. For me, it's funner that way.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    clhs wrote: »

I don't think atheists criticise others; they're typically too intelligent to condescend to the level of the religious-minded.

are you trying to prove his point ?

OT: i agree, variaty is overrated. If every team was viable what would be the point in farming more than 5 toons ? Meta will shift and it will keep us on our toes. With the current advantage vs AI squads ppl are able to have alot of different squads, they just choose not to. They will ask for nerfs though..
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    clhs wrote: »

Hopefully this actually just some solid satire. Fingers crossed.
  • Those who claim to be anti-meta are like the wannabe hipsters in Brooklyn.

Hipsters ARE wannabes. Just like the:
    Yuppies in the 90s
    Coke heads in the 80s
    And Hippies in the 70/60s

• Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    I guess I'm a hippy, I get some weird enjoyment of being ranked 80 with a Boba Fett led team and the only 1 in the top 200 of my shard. Each to their own I guess!
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member

I don't get it.

I use characters and/or themed builds that I actually like. Then I try to make them work the best I can. I don't let the meta dictate my game. For me, it's funner that way.

This is how I play. There are other ways to find joy in the game than a constant angling toward #1. This thread's purpose is to make OP feel better about his choices.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    I have always run pure Jedi in the arena for better or worse. I am top 50 regularly on a very competitive server.

Play what you like.
  • chainsaw
    359 posts Member
    Who cares...it comes down to spending crystals.
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    While there are plenty of practically useless characters in this game, there are still some options to deviate from the meta slightly, as long as you understand the risk that your Arena ranks may be affected, have at it...
  • There should definitely be a bonus for those who do play with compatible squads. It's boring facing a combination of the same 10 toons throughout every single event. All people do is complain about nerfs and buffs of op characters - with a synergy bonus, every character has the potential of being op
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I for one enjoyed the video showing Ewoks pwn Rancor

I applaud variety, makes game less boring fighting the same fights over and over again

you may enjoy having the current meta, but you will cry foul once EA shift meta to characters you don't have
  • ZarLatho wrote: »

I don't get it.

This is how I play. There are other ways to find joy in the game than a constant angling toward #1. This thread's purpose is to make OP feel better about his choices.

Yes, and they probably read my thread with my distaste at the meta style of gameplay?

• clhs wrote: »

I've met some different atheists than you have.

• lunarwolf wrote: »
    I for one enjoyed the video showing Ewoks pwn Rancor

I applaud variety, makes game less boring fighting the same fights over and over again

you may enjoy having the current meta, but you will cry foul once EA shift meta to characters you don't have

They already do. Every. Single. Day.