Who to farm next from Cantina Missions? Luke or Finn?

Ok, yesterday I took my JC to 6 stars and since then I have been goofing around whitout a real purpose. I don't want Consular in my PVP team and for GW 6 stars are more than enough, so keeping on farming him is not an option.
I'm currently working on a AOE/Debuff/Critical team, with Sidious as a leader, Poe as a tank and IG-88 as the main Damage Dealer. Currently I'm running and loving Resistance Pilot and working on Luminara to sub-in for Consular when she's ready.
I realized I lack some control character, so i put away my idea of farming Kylo and at first looked at Finn, with his 65% stun on special. Then I noticed Luke ability to stun on crit and couldn't decide between them.

• FINN PROs:

- I already have 24 shards
- Higher life pool I think?
- Doesn't need crits to stun so he can fit in more teams in the future
- Sinergy with Dameron and Resistance Pilot whom I already have

• LUKE PROs

- Easier to farm with only 8 energy per run required instead of 10
- Higher Damage I think?
- Crit sinergy with the team
- Nice leader ability for future other teams

Replies

• Im nearly in your situation. Im thinking going after Luke cause i like him and he is 4 * already... but kylo always beat my **** on arena so dont know if it is the rigth choice :( i didnt test finn
  • Finn hits almost as hard as Luke and has way more HP. Also, even though it requires more energy, his shards drop a lot easier. And Finn's stun is more reliable.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • jeremyj26 wrote: »
    Also, even though it requires more energy, his shards drop a lot easier.

Never heard about this, has it been somehow proved?
  • Duckie wrote: »
    jeremyj26 wrote: »
    Also, even though it requires more energy, his shards drop a lot easier.

Never heard about this, has it been somehow proved?

No... i have high drop rates for luke
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    I have a 4* Luke and sitting on 44/65 shards. I mostly started farming him since I got lucky on a bronze pack and landed him at 3*s. So far I really like him. He hits hard, has dot on reg attack and stun on his special. With Sid as leader he crits a ton and has more health than the average "glass cannon".
  • t
    jeremyj26 wrote: »
    Finn hits almost as hard as Luke and has way more HP. Also, even though it requires more energy, his shards drop a lot easier. And Finn's stun is more reliable.

I'd like to know how you drew those conclusions.

1) I've never seen evidence that drop rates are different at level 4 than level 1. The higher level missions provide more other stuff (droids/cantina tokens per energy/etc) but nobody has shown a higher shard drop rate.

2) On paper Finn's stun is more reliable however Luke crits very frequently and his low stun proc rate is due to his tendency to one-shot characters. With a sid led team and a poggle boost he pushes 7.5k damage for me on a crit and he's only 5*. Finn's attacks in arena tend to require 2 rounds before they start paying off with the expose plus stun combo.

I will say that the one unknown I have is his speed. If Finn is significantly faster than Luke and is able to get his stun off early in a round that changes things a lot. Late round stuns tend to be of minimal use. Also seeing Finns max HP would be interesting. Luke is not quite a glass cannon as he is up over 9k HP.

I also think the AI plays characters like Finn very poorly. His advantage up skill will get used more often in round one than his special attack. I do think Finn has a chance to be workable in some combinations (ie. Phasma lead) but since he competes with Ren for shards the latter is likely a better choice for Phasma teams.
  • Both are great characters. I think Luke will see a bit more play since his leader ability is so strong, and I think the AI probably plays him better than it does Finn. Even though on offense I think Finn is probably the better choice, I probably go with Luke just because he's hard for the AI to play poorly. Neither choice will be wrong though, they're both really solid characters that can augment a team well.
  • My drop rates on Finn are terrible.
  • Kr4itok_
    269 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    My drop rates on Luke were horrid. My GS rates seem to be about 30% which feels pretty good. I will probably double refill cantina for a long time, there character selection there is amazing but its also the slowest farm.

FWIW I think cantina shard drops are actually random, sometimes I go 0 for 12, sometimes 9 for 12, and everything in between.
  • I would say it heavily relies on your team comp you already have. If it is single target crit based, luke is your man.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Kr4itok_ wrote: »
    My drop rates on Luke were horrid. My GS rates seem to be about 30% which feels pretty good. I will probably double refill cantina for a long time, there character selection there is amazing but its also the slowest farm.

I am the exact opposite. Once I got Luke up to 4 stars I decided to try gen soldier. I refreshed every day and farmed him only for 3 days straight. I gave up and am still sitting at 7/10.... Luke on the other hand I have great luck with.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    If you use sidious as your leader Luke's crit is fairly reliable as long as target doesn't have high tenacity as Luke's potency is low. Luke gets extra turn meter on crit from regular attack so there is no way Finn has as much dps. That being said I think I'd rather have geno soldier.
  • Time wrote: »
    If you use sidious as your leader Luke's crit is fairly reliable as long as target doesn't have high tenacity as Luke's potency is low. Luke gets extra turn meter on crit from regular attack so there is no way Finn has as much dps. That being said I think I'd rather have geno soldier.

Is geno soldier really that good on his own, or does he need to be teamed with Peggle to really be worthwhile?
  • GS is one of the few that probably *doesnt* get as much use from Poggle which is a little odd since you would think "awesome, Geonosian synergy!" He already has an offense up buff on his basic making poggle less needed. That said, having Poggle is never going to really hurt your team.

I actually plan to use Phasma lead with GS, Poe, Leia, and QGJ filling it out. I use Rey and FOTP currently over QGJ and GS but i think it's probably a mistake.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I am not sure what I am going to do after I am done with Kylo next week. None of the existing options interest me much. I have never really cared much for "Luke with a rifle" (both thematically and in terms of abilities), and even though I really WANT to like Finn, his descriptions just don't inspire me.
    I also find it hard to muster much enthusiasm for farming a character like Geonesian Soldier. Okay he does a lot of damage but.. boring. There's always JC or IG-86.
    I keep looking at nightsister acolyte, which nobody uses, wondering if there isn't some potential there somehow...
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I'd go for Finn. He's not popular atm but seems good with his Takedown special
  • I love Luke. I currently have it at 5 star wirh level 6 gear and his stats are below. He has the tendency to one shot enemies with his special, which helps to no end with getting rid of annoying Dooku, and if he doesn't one shot them more often than not he'll take 3/4 of their health off and stun them for 1 turn. He can take a fair deal of damage too. I would definitely recommend him.

As for the drop rate post, it's a load of ****. To get him from 4* to 5* I was getting a drop rate of 1/2 for Luke, for Finn I'm lucky if I get 1/4. It's all random and purely down to luck.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I cannot use Luke Skywalker with a rifle. It feels unholy somehow. :) Give me young Luke with a lightsaber already, guys. I will pay whatever you want! :D
    Finn's Takedown is good but it's really the only good thing he has. His basic attack is awful (I don't know about the base damage, but a boost usable only once per enemy is fairly awful). Hold the Line? Meh. I am okay with a non-damaging ability that provides buffs or debuffs on the whole party, like Phasma's, but when they are only for one character they are IMO a waste of a turn in most cases.
    He's not horrible just.. uninteresting, to me at least.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    I cannot use Luke Skywalker with a rifle. It feels unholy somehow. :) Give me young Luke with a lightsaber already, guys. I will pay whatever you want! :D

I have Luke at 7* and it has never stopped bothering me he has a gun. It feeeeeeels so wrong.
  • My drop rates on Finn are terrible.

Weird. I tried farming Luke for a while and got maybe 1 or 2 a day from Cantina energy. Farming Finn and Kylo? 10. My assumption was that it had something to do with level of the fight. Same thing happens on the DS/LS missions. Harder levels seem to be much better at dropping everything.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Go for luke first.