"Adjusting" Events

Prev1
Sykidus
10 posts Member
You can't "ADJUST" an event to meet the current level cap. You can make new ones that are up to it, but you can NOT adjust old ones. Not because it's "mean" or because it makes things too hard, but because it's a kick in the shorts to EVERY new player that will ever try and play this game.

For the people who, due to playing from launch or spending real money, had 5 7* Jedi for the first one or two Yoda events, it doesn't matter. But for everyone else, those who are just starting and those who have been working for months to get 7* Jedi ready for this event, you just flipped off all of them.

Speaking for myself, I pushed as hard as I could as a FTP to be ready this time around, and now that I am (or will be tomorrow, need 4 Ashoka shards for 5 7*'s), you've made it harder and my 7* team is no longer good enough. Even 6* is a kick in the teeth, and I doubt I'll be able to beat it since my Jedi are mostly "support" types, not damage types. And if you are going to "adjust" events whenever the level cap goes up, it's possible that by the time I am ready for this one, it will be even harder and I'll still be behind. For those who are newer than myself who are just getting a team of 5*'s together, they will *never* have a chance to beat 7* as catching up would be nearly impossible without throwing wads of cash at the game. Anyone picking up the game for the first time at this point will NEVER get Yoda.

And that's what it's really about, isn't it? That's the only reason I can think of that this change was made and, more importantly, made quietly with NO prior warning. The (mostly) money spenders got Yoda in the first few events, and now that the FTP's caught up, you upped the difficulty so money spenders are still the only ones who will be able to finish it. Yoda is a sneaky version of a cash shop card only character, dangled out for everyone to see and "think" is obtainable, but you yank that carrot a bit further away whenever it gets close to being in reach.

Bravo.

This is a bad business move, long term. I understand that EA's strategy has always been money first. So be it. But moves that aim to wring more money out of current players but have the side effect of making it harder on new players (and at the same time pushes some current players out of the game) greatly shortens a games lifespan, which means less money in the long run.

Think ahead Dev's. You can only do this stuff so many times before you lose enough players to make the game no longer profitable.

Replies

• They adjusted every single event in the game when they introduced protection and omegas, so why wouldn't they adjust this one, too?
  • BWSkynobi
    334 posts Member
    Newsflash, if the event was the same I'd have my Yoda to 6stars. Then I'd spend money to power him up and my other Jedi so that next month I could get him to 7stars. Or maybe even spend money now to accelerate my teams to 7 stars.

Now I'm just like, no thanks. Not wasting money trying to fight the impossible.
  • BWSkynobi wrote: »
    Newsflash, if the event was the same I'd have my Yoda to 6stars. Then I'd spend money to power him up and my other Jedi so that next month I could get him to 7stars. Or maybe even spend money now to accelerate my teams to 7 stars.

Now I'm just like, no thanks. Not wasting money trying to fight the impossible.

I don't think it will be long after this event that Yoda will be available through other means, anyways. If you weren't ready the last time around(or almost ready), the likelihood of being ready this time is slim. I got him 6* maybe three events so 9, but my entire squad, aside from 5 Jedi, suffered for it.
  • I'm a paying player and the change to the event is ludicrous. Why did I just invest a ton of time and quite a bit of money to get my squad to 7*, only to have the difficulty jacked up?

Because I'm sure EA will ignore me if I message them directly, they leave me no choice but to vote with my wallet instead. I'm not paying for anything else in this game until this gets fixed. Simple as that.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    L75 gear Viii can beat it. I don't see the issue. People took over 100 tries to beat old yoda have you tried over 100 times?
  • Daaaaarp
    11 posts Member
    Been working hard since last event to be ready for 7*... This is not possible, way too much up to luck
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member

They adjusted every single event in the game when they introduced protection and omegas, so why wouldn't they adjust this one, too?

Adjusting the basic parts of the game to scale appropriately with new game mechanics is one thing, and ok.

Adjusting an event that some people have already beaten to be harder and require much more effort is not.

This would be like if MMO's like WoW or whatever went back and, when they released a new expansion, "adjusted" all the raids from the last expansion to need the new max level characters and gear to complete.
  • Ourmilo
    12 posts Member
    Ive not spent a penny and have tried final battle and it is impossible. Hes lvl 90 and has a healer as support and usually high att or tank as support. He is 10 levels above the cap and any damage you do the healer removes. My team is all lvl 76 and have got no where.
    If anything the yoda event should be like raid and damage you do carries onto next battle so yes might take alot of attempts but you may get there with hard work.

All games are out to make money. People stop spending they make people have to spend to get anywhere. So win win for them
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    I am confused. Level cap used to be 70 and max gear was 10 i think for yoda (maybe 9). Now cap is 80.. and you wish he would have stayed at lvl 70 with no adjustments? That seems silly. let the players get stronger but the event gets weaker...especially for someone called GRANDMASTER Yoda. It should be a challenge, not something you wait to level up for and then can trounce him.
  • What gear and level was yoda at the first go around
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't think it will be long after this event that Yoda will be available through other means, anyways. If you weren't ready the last time around(or almost ready), the likelihood of being ready this time is slim. I got him 6* maybe three events so 9, but my entire squad, aside from 5 Jedi, suffered for it.

That's my point though. Completing an event shouldn't "always" be something that's out of someones reach. And event is created, some people will get it right away, for some the second time, some the third, and so on till everyone gets there at some point.

But to make it to everyone who wasn't able to complete it in the first one or two times will possibly "always" be just out of reach is a bad move.

It's called recycling old content rather than making new stuff. But in this case, instead of just being lazy, it's also hurtful to a large % of the player base.

*edit* Spelling.
  • BWSkynobi
    334 posts Member
    What gear and level was yoda at the first go around

At the time lvl 70 and gear VIII were player maxes
  • HanSlowMo
    235 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Sykidus wrote: »
    They adjusted every single event in the game when they introduced protection and omegas, so why wouldn't they adjust this one, too?

Adjusting the basic parts of the game to scale appropriately with new game mechanics is one thing, and ok.

Adjusting an event that some people have already beaten to be harder and require much more effort is not.

This would be like if MMO's like WoW or whatever went back and, when they released a new expansion, "adjusted" all the raids from the last expansion to need the new max level characters and gear to complete.

Except it's not like WoW doing that at all. Old raids from an old expansion wouldn't be relevant, nor the items you could obtain from it. Whereas Yoda in this case is. He's relevant, and can be upgraded well past his initial completion requirements.

Look, I get people are getting all sad about this...tough. Getting Yoda the first time around was hard, very hard. The resources needed to get him as well as his difficulty should be honored by upping Yoda now that the cap / gear / skills has been raised as well. This is an event for a full fledged hero that is useful not just something to be steamrolled over to obtain. I can't even imagine how easy and trivial this challenge would be with 5 7* lvl 80 gearded and omega heroes if it was the same difficulty as before. Something had to happen or else everyone from this point on would get an "easy Yoda" instead of keeping this a challenging event for people to earn the character not just faceroll their phone to get free heroes.

Besides from what I'm reading in guild chat and others on here is that it's not "impossible". Yoda was one shotting teams when he came out, he's doing it now, and he will be doing it always. That's why it's called a challenge.
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    Barrok wrote: »
    I am confused. Level cap used to be 70 and max gear was 10 i think for yoda (maybe 9). Now cap is 80.. and you wish he would have stayed at lvl 70 with no adjustments? That seems silly. let the players get stronger but the event gets weaker...especially for someone called GRANDMASTER Yoda. It should be a challenge, not something you wait to level up for and then can trounce him.

That's EXACTLY how it should work. the reward (Yoda) has remained the same, so the difficulty to aquire him should as well, or it's not fair to those who didn't get him right a way. It's not whining, it's just a fact.

Think of it like shards. if it cost 100 shards to 7* a character today, but 150 next month, and then 200 the next, then 250.. if you had 100 shards that first month you're fine! BUT, if you were 5 short at 95, and the rate to get more was 50 a month, matching the new shard amount (which stands for the level cap in this example) you'll be 5 short forever, unless you buy what you're short with real money.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member

That's EXACTLY how it should work. the reward (Yoda) has remained the same, so the difficulty to aquire him should as well, or it's not fair to those who didn't get him right a way. It's not whining, it's just a fact.

Think of it like shards. if it cost 100 shards to 7* a character today, but 150 next month, and then 200 the next, then 250.. if you had 100 shards that first month you're fine! BUT, if you were 5 short at 95, and the rate to get more was 50 a month, matching the new shard amount (which stands for the level cap in this example) you'll be 5 short forever, unless you buy what you're short with real money.

This would be only true if they nerfed your toons down to no omega, gear Viii - l72/73 gear, no proc, L70 Max.

If they neared people's toons back to that level there would be just as much outrage.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    It's not fair to those who had to beat him at lvl 70 gear 8. You can now beat him at lvl 80 gear 9? It goes both ways.

You are biased because it's harder for you... but it's only harder for you because they increased his level and skills. If they kept it the same, it would be EASIER for you. There is no way for you to have the same fight without them adjusting him somehow.
    the reward (Yoda) has remained the same, so the difficulty to aquire him should as well
    I agree 100% with that. If you get stronger and yoda stays the same... then the difficulty is not the same thus the reward should not be the same.. correct?
  • Sykidus wrote: »

That's my point though. Completing an event should "always" be something that's out of someones reach. And event is created, some people will get it right away, for some the second time, some the third, and so on till everyone gets there at some point.

But to make it to everyone who wasn't able to complete it in the first one or two times will possibly "always" be just out of reach is a bad move.

It's called recycling old content rather than making new stuff. But in this case, instead of just being lazy, it's also hurtful to a large % of the player base.

I think they are making it available, not to everyone, but to everyone who thinks Yoda is worth it. It took me close to 20 attempts to 6* him, and it was only a lucky strike from Snips that did it. Many people are getting him, but many are complaining its too hard - the event has been open for 4 hours. It took me days to win one battle.

The recycling pertains to the multiple releases of this event. It should've been scrapped after last time, and Yoda should've been put somewhere else. Its time for an Empire event, or scoundrel event.
  • Orions
    269 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If they kept him the same, wouldn't he be too easy for lvl 75+ to beat since his last version was lvl 70?
    I heard of people having the exact same problems with him last time when trying to get 7th star at lvl 70, seems like they kept it the same, but gave him the additions that were added to the game that we all got, higher cap (even though enemy caps are higher) and omega mats.

O
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    L75 gear Viii can beat it. I don't see the issue. People took over 100 tries to beat old yoda have you tried over 100 times?

This is really no joke, it took me a couple hours. If your toons are geared I think you can do it still, 5 levels isn't a huge deal if your equipment and ability mats are appropriate. Don't try and walk in there under level 7 gear and level 3 abilities.
  • Barrok wrote: »

Think about it in terms of resources. To beat yoda you needed x quantity of resources. Now to beat yoda you need almost twice the resources to beat yoda. Gear is far harder to obtain. Credit and training droids increased dramatically.
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    HanSlowMo wrote: »
    Except it's not like WoW doing that at all. Old raids from an old expansion wouldn't be relevant, nor the items you could obtain from it. Whereas Yoda in this case is. He's relevant, and can be upgraded well past his initial completion requirements.

Look, I get people are getting all sad about this...tough. Getting Yoda the first time around was hard, very hard. The resources needed to get him as well as his difficulty should be honored by upping Yoda now that the cap / gear / skills has been raised as well. This is an event for a full fledged hero that is useful not just something to be steamrolled over to obtain. I can't even imagine how easy and trivial this challenge would be with 5 7* lvl 80 gearded and omega heroes if it was the same difficulty as before. Something had to happen or else everyone from this point on would get an "easy Yoda" instead of keeping this a challenging event for people to earn the character not just faceroll their phone to get free heroes.

Besides from what I'm reading in guild chat and others on here is that it's not "impossible". Yoda was one shotting teams when he came out, he's doing it now, and he will be doing it always. That's why it's called a challenge.

My point isn't that it shouldn't be hard, but that for some people, it will "never" be doable if it keeps getting harder. And as for the reward, 7* Yoda is still 7* Yoda. And actually, yes it SHOULD get to the point eventually that it's a free character. Yoda's not even that great, and certainly not game breaking. It's like a legendary item in an MMO. Hard as hell to get at first, but easy later. At that point there should be a NEW event that's super hard for a different character. Yoda would be old news by then.

Anyways, I made my point. You are welcome to disagree. I just wanted to say my piece. I know nothing is going to change. But I also know this is a bad move, and it'll hurt more than it helps.
  • AdamW
    692 posts Member
    My only problem with it is that they raised it to the new level cap with stats like we have all been level 80 for over a month, when in reality barely 95%+ of players havent even hit lvl 80 yet.

And on top of that they offer the over priced bundle like theyre trying to get your money, I HATE that sort of money grubbing tactic.
  • Yadda_123
    187 posts Member
    This blows. Such a waste of time building up for a 7star match with Yoda and then getting decimated.
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member

Think about it in terms of resources. To beat yoda you needed x quantity of resources. Now to beat yoda you need almost twice the resources to beat yoda. Gear is far harder to obtain. Credit and training droids increased dramatically.

So the alternative is to keep yoda the same... and make it so you can cake walk kill him? How does that make any sense.

You guys seriously think it's fair (and logical) to give all the players the ability to increase level/gear/ and abilities.... but keep grandmaster yoda the same? Even beyond the fact that he is a freaking Grandmaster (and all the lore that goes with him), it still doesn't make any sense to not adjust him somehow.
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    Everyone is focusing on "You don't like that it got harder" so they can talk about how they beat it. lol

My point was that if it KEEPS getting harder, new players will never be able to beat it. Think about how long it's taking to level from 70 to 80.

If a player started today, it'd be very unlikely they'd make it to 80 before the level cap goes up again, and far less likely that they'd get five 7* Jedi in that time. They'd never be able to catch up. That is my point.

Not that it's hard now, but that events can't keep getting harder as character levels go up or new players will never have a chance to beat them. Yoda will forever be a character that only people who started playing close to launch or who spend money will be able to obtain. If that's how they want it, that's fine! All games have money exclusive characters. Just be up front about that, without making him look acquirable as a tease. :-)
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    Just saw the thread was moved. Sorry to whoever moved it, didn't know about this section. Doubtful anyone will see it now, but ah well. :-)
  • Barrok
    1753 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I think it's obvious based off the previous yoda at lvl 70 and now this Yoda. The expectation is that yoda is tough to acquire. If they wanted to make him easy they would have done that previously. There is nothing in the yoda battle that would lead you to believe he is supposed to be beaten by new players... They need to level up their team and take him down when they have the correct roster, just like everyone else has up to this point.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    HanSlowMo wrote: »

My point isn't that it shouldn't be hard, but that for some people, it will "never" be doable if it keeps getting harder. And as for the reward, 7* Yoda is still 7* Yoda. And actually, yes it SHOULD get to the point eventually that it's a free character. Yoda's not even that great, and certainly not game breaking. It's like a legendary item in an MMO. Hard as hell to get at first, but easy later. At that point there should be a NEW event that's super hard for a different character. Yoda would be old news by then.

Anyways, I made my point. You are welcome to disagree. I just wanted to say my piece. I know nothing is going to change. But I also know this is a bad move, and it'll hurt more than it helps.

This I agree with. This event has been going for months. I think the majority of people calling for the Yoda event to come back, we're those close to maxing him out anyways. But I don't think people losing against him realize it's not just stars that are going to defeat him. I could probably take my 6* Jedi and defeat him. It's gear and abilities that will defeat him - not stars and levels.

Get rid of the event.
  • Sykidus
    10 posts Member
    True, i do see your point about it not being fair to those who beat him before for it to be easier now.

But if new players are NEVER able to get to the required roster point before the difficulty goes up again.... that kinda sucks for them.

Now, if Yoda came pre-leveled, pre-geared, and with maxed abilities at each new raising of the difficulty, that'd be acceptable. You use your level 70 characters to get a level 70 yoda, now it's harder and you use your 80's to get an 80, then 90's to get a 90. That's cool. But since you get a level 1 no matter what. Meh.

I'll probably be able to get him next time, maybe. But honestly by then I won't really care any more. All he really is to me is an extra raider. By the time I get him now I'll already have enough other 6-7*'s to fill the slots so it wouldn't be a big deal one way or the other.

A free 7* is awesome to someone who doesn't have many.. but those people are new people, and if new people can't get him till they already a roster big enough to not need him any more..... kinda kills the point. In my opinion anyways.

If Yoda was like, a guaranteed arena win kind of character, maybe. But honestly, for my team builds anyway, he's just a "it'd be cool to have him cause of lore and stuff" character.